KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

I just downloaded v0.11.1 for linux and it fails on start.  There's a very brief display of the main window and the program exits with the following error:

X Error of failed request:  BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for this connection)
  Major opcode of failed request:  55 (X_CreateGC)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x4000096
  Serial number of failed request:  904
  Current serial number in output stream:  905

I've had no problems with previous versions. Let me know if you need any further info.

1 hour ago, ThePewter said:

I just downloaded v0.11.1 for linux and it fails on start.  There's a very brief display of the main window and the program exits with the following error:

I've had no problems with previous versions. Let me know if you need any further info.

Hi, thank you for reporting. Which distribution of linux are you on?

You and @BigBrick both have errors on Linux. To be honest I don't know the cause. BigBrick have you made any progress?

5 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Hi, thank you for reporting. Which distribution of linux are you on?

You and @BigBrick both have errors on Linux. To be honest I don't know the cause. BigBrick have you made any progress?

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS.  I'll have a better look at things tomorrow and see if I can find anything useful.

Just to confirm:  v0.10.0 works OK.

Edited by ThePewter
Add v0.10.0 info (see edit history)

Has this been addressed?  I drew a height map,  cut it to bedrock to create islands.  We just discovered that the bedrock is too low( it's at 1 ) which we think is causing desync). It's also not bedrock but,  infinite health topsoil.  

Any idea if it's something I did wrong here or any thoughts?  

spacer.png

Let me add I love messing with maps with your editor,  I don't want to come off as complaining,  this software is awesome,  I just want to keep making fun island maps for my server and not break it 

1 hour ago, jdge439 said:

Has this been addressed?  I drew a height map,  cut it to bedrock to create islands.  We just discovered that the bedrock is too low( it's at 1 ) which we think is causing desync). It's also not bedrock but,  infinite health topsoil.  

Any idea if it's something I did wrong here or any thoughts?  

spacer.png

Let me add I love messing with maps with your editor,  I don't want to come off as complaining,  this software is awesome,  I just want to keep making fun island maps for my server and not break it 

Normally you shouldnt have a world lower than 20ish. I don't understand your problem here? Do you want no bedrock at all? I don't think the game allows that

2 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Normally you shouldnt have a world lower than 20ish. I don't understand your problem here? Do you want no bedrock at all? I don't think the game allows that

No,  we want bedrock,  we just created a map of islands and the easiest way to do it was to just cut the land out of an existing map to bring it to bedrock so we had islands.  

I get I could just draw the water areas a little higher and it would work its just,  we liked that players couldn't tunnel from island to island. It's pvp so,  it created a forced choke point at the shallow areas.  

2 minutes ago, jdge439 said:

No,  we want bedrock,  we just created a map of islands and the easiest way to do it was to just cut the land out of an existing map to bring it to bedrock so we had islands.  

I get I could just draw the water areas a little higher and it would work its just,  we liked that players couldn't tunnel from island to island. It's pvp so,  it created a forced choke point at the shallow areas.  

That's not a problem with KingGen. The game is designed like this.

This looks seriously good. It's so quick - 16k on my poor old 4790K is done in 4 minutes.

Here's a couple of previews of heightmaps I originally created for Nitrogen. I think some custom biome, city and zoning maps will really make them shine - but that'll have to wait. I'm off to explore!

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, BarryTGash said:

This looks seriously good. It's so quick - 16k on my poor old 4790K is done in 4 minutes.

Here's a couple of previews of heightmaps I originally created for Nitrogen. I think some custom biome, city and zoning maps will really make them shine - but that'll have to wait. I'm off to explore!

spacer.png

This looks very nice, would you like to share the heightmaps with the community?

If you decide to share them, you can follow this link:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/23988-kinggen-a-random-world-generator-for-7-days-to-die/?do=findComment&comment=424158

23 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

This looks very nice, would you like to share the heightmaps with the community?

If you decide to share them, you can follow this link:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/23988-kinggen-a-random-world-generator-for-7-days-to-die/?do=findComment&comment=424158

Done and done. Tricorn Island is a relatively large file at 16k/16bit 125mb. If there are any issues with the google drive link, let me know and I'll sort something else out.

10 minutes ago, BarryTGash said:

Done and done. Tricorn Island is a relatively large file at 16k/16bit 125mb. If there are any issues with the google drive link, let me know and I'll sort something else out.

Is it a 16bit png? Jesus 125 mb is very large..

14 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

how the @%$# can one be 1.5 MB and the other one 124MB ??

Do you think you could save the large one in the same way you saved the small one? so I can save space on the server

There's (at least) two things going on here: 

1. One is 8bit, the other 16bit grayscale

2. The smaller file size one is much smoother, meaning the lossless compression algorithm is much more effective. Conversely, there's a lot of finer, random, detail in the larger map.

Here's a link to an 8bit version of Tricorn - it's still really big in comparison (30mb): https://mega.nz/file/6qAFCKwY#HODbEEbjJgZAD43Yuq4FTrzTycI27oF-flvCWYLDUOo

1 hour ago, BarryTGash said:

There's (at least) two things going on here: 

1. One is 8bit, the other 16bit grayscale

2. The smaller file size one is much smoother, meaning the lossless compression algorithm is much more effective. Conversely, there's a lot of finer, random, detail in the larger map.

Here's a link to an 8bit version of Tricorn - it's still really big in comparison (30mb): https://mega.nz/file/6qAFCKwY#HODbEEbjJgZAD43Yuq4FTrzTycI27oF-flvCWYLDUOo

Thanks, I've just uploaded the lighter version. The larger one was causing troubles during the download.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

So far I like it!  It's not as mature as Nitrogen.  It's also not abandoned...  :)

Some things I've missed (and maybe I'm not doing it right)

1. Ability to contain the snow to the north and the desert to the south (I know I could go custom)

2. Farms?  I haven't found a farm yet. 

3. Old Western Towns - Were these a feature of Nitrogen?

Great effort KingSlayer.  I'm glad a Lannister is finally on the job.

1 hour ago, Wenzil said:

So far I like it!  It's not as mature as Nitrogen.  It's also not abandoned...  :)

Some things I've missed (and maybe I'm not doing it right)

1. Ability to contain the snow to the north and the desert to the south (I know I could go custom)

2. Farms?  I haven't found a farm yet. 

3. Old Western Towns - Were these a feature of Nitrogen?

Great effort KingSlayer.  I'm glad a Lannister is finally on the job.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on adding all those features. 2 and 3 are sort of planned for v12. Number 1 I have to think about it. Because KG's biomes and mountains are noise based, so it's a bit tricky to place them arbitrarily in the north or south. But I think I will figure something out eventually.

Re: Linux and v0.11.1 ...

I did a bit of testing today, but I don't have much to add as I could not get it to work or get a hint on what's happening.  Two things I noticed:

• the program works fine via the command line - it seems to generate the right set of files, but I have not test the maps yet;
  • it's clearly something in the GUI that's causing a problem.  When I start it "normally" a windows is briefly created with the text "loading kinggen" --  it exiting immediately after that.

3 minutes ago, ThePewter said:

Re: Linux and v0.11.1 ...

I did a bit of testing today, but I don't have much to add as I could not get it to work or get a hint on what's happening.  Two things I noticed:

• the program works fine via the command line - it seems to generate the right set of files, but I have not test the maps yet;
  • it's clearly something in the GUI that's causing a problem.  When I start it "normally" a windows is briefly created with the text "loading kinggen" --  it exiting immediately after that.

Ok, thanks. At least I know it's in the gui