KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

Hi, I keep getting the same error when I click the generate world button and also clicking the X button to exit out of the software. I also tried running it as Administrator with the same result. Any help is appreciated.

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1892, in __call__
  File "gui.py", line 164, in on_closing
  File "settings.py", line 26, in dump_settings
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '.\\KingGenConfig.txt'

File "gui.py", line 1296, in generate_world

Edited by Kman03 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Kman03 said:

Hi, I keep getting the same error when I click the generate world button and also clicking the X button to exit out of the software. I also tried running it as Administrator with the same result. Any help is appreciated.

File "gui.py", line 164, in on_closing

File "gui.py", line 1296, in generate_world

I could not  edit my previous post. I seemed to have fixed the issue. I moved the KingGen .exe to the same drive that my game is installed and everything now seems to work.

14 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Yeah, the actual reason is that cities avoid mountains, it has nothing to do with the biomes themselves.

In your image though, it looks like about 50% of cities are in the pine forest, which isn't bad IMO. But yeah, you can always customize the biomes.png map.

I'm seeing something similar in all of the maps I've generated so far.  The bulk of the cities seem to follow the desert or burnt forest biomes.  The one below is pretty typical of what I've gotten so far.

spacer.png

Good day  KingslayerGM

A couple of question ..

How would I go about connecting all the cities with at least 1 roadway in and out .. in simple terms for this 74yr old gamer. Because it seems that every map I make at least 50% are not connect .. other than overland express. (or maybe a option to do so)

Also .. you've done a great job with increased Traders .. but could you add "cities and towns" as an option .. OK, I admit it .. I like traders in a game, maybe more Jen's would be nice, Lol. .. Also I was thinking maybe a option for "unprotected traders" if that is even possible in the future. 

Thank you for adding a simple height adjustment, because some of cities are having issues with roads being lower than the buildings and you get that float effect as in the picture .. So I was thinking if I raise the height map by 1 .. it would help, so in my latest map I set it to 61 and hope that will work.

Anyway .. I do enjoy your mod system. Take Care and Be Safe ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

This is the wall of the Nuclear powerplant from CP47 for your mod .. but I get it with vanilla poi's also.

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.06.09 - 17.27.26.11.png

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

Good day  KingslayerGM

A couple of question ..

How would I go about connecting all the cities with at least 1 roadway in and out .. in simple terms for this 74yr old gamer. Because it seems that every map I make at least 50% are not connect .. other than overland express. (or maybe a option to do so)

Also .. you've done a great job with increased Traders .. but could you add "cities and towns" as an option .. OK, I admit it .. I like traders in a game, maybe more Jen's would be nice, Lol. .. Also I was thinking maybe a option for "unprotected traders" if that is even possible in the future. 

Thank you for adding a simple height adjustment, because some of cities are having issues with roads being lower than the buildings and you get that float effect as in the picture .. So I was thinking if I raise the height map by 1 .. it would help, so in my latest map I set it to 61 and hope that will work.

Anyway .. I do enjoy your mod system. Take Care and Be Safe ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

This is the wall of the Nuclear powerplant from CP47 for your mod .. but I get it with vanilla poi's also.

Roads are still a work in progress. Please share screenshots of maps where there should be a road but KG did not generate it. So I can understand what's going on...

What's the option "cities and towns"?

I can't change the protection of traders... that is a game thing, I do not control that in the generation.

Regarding the floating blocks. I have noticed that the game lowers the generated heightmap by around 0.5 blocks, maybe less... Perhaps if I added 0.5 everywhere the problem would be fixed... I have to test that.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

I've seen the same thing with the vanilla RWG (floating blocks).  It seems to be the terrain block underneath that is the issue.  Putting a wooden frame next to it seems to fix it when I come across it on POIs I take over for bases (I am not that OCD that I have to do it for all POIs in the game).  It will be interesting if KingSlayers solution works.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

I've seen the same thing with the vanilla RWG (floating blocks).  It seems to be the terrain block underneath that is the issue.  Putting a wooden frame next to it seems to fix it when I come across it on POIs I take over for bases (I am not that OCD that I have to do it for all POIs in the game).  It will be interesting if KingSlayers solution works.

Placing a wood frame does work on one side only .. Walls you can do both, but that a pain and when doing building, well the funny thing is I did 1 bldg once and it fell down shouldn't have, but did.

Haven't had a chance to SEE what going from 60 to 61 will do yet .. but I will sometime today I hope.

1 hour ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Roads are still a work in progress. Please share screenshots of maps where there should be a road but KG did not generate it. So I can understand what's going on...

What's the option "cities and towns"?

I can't change the protection of traders... that is a game thing, I do not control that in the generation.

Regarding the floating blocks. I have noticed that the game lowers the generated heightmap by around 0.5 blocks, maybe less... Perhaps if I added 0.5 everywhere the problem would be fixed... I have to test that.

I tried several times to upload a 10k map, that I just made today from KingGen v10  ... which 10k and larger are the ones that seem to have most issues .. but they keep getting error message "error 200" ..... The 8k don't seem to have an issue with roads.

Cities and Towns may have 1 trader each ..... or ..... 1 trader per city and town 

8 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

I tried several times to upload a 10k map, that I just made today from KingGen v10  ... which 10k and larger are the ones that seem to have most issues .. but they keep getting error message "error 200" ..... The 8k don't seem to have an issue with roads.

Cities and Towns may have 1 trader each ..... or ..... 1 trader per city and town 

Perhaps you are trying to upload an image that is too big...

The option to put traders in towns and cities is already in KG

11 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

There is one or the other the way I read it .. not .. "1 in both a city and town at the same time" .. basically you would be doubling the traders.

The upload was only 40.6 mb so it should have gone .. even tried one with just the map as a separate load and still won't. 

What I thought might work with raising height map from 60 to 61 was a disaster, won't do that again .. most every place that had buildings on it .. looked like this .. Lol.

I'll watch your video's on " How To " and see it might help or this old brain takes it in ... Thank again and I will be back ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.06.16 - 12.34.33.88.png

2 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

There is one or the other the way I read it .. not .. "1 in both a city and town at the same time" .. basically you would be doubling the traders.

The upload was only 40.6 mb so it should have gone .. even tried one with just the map as a separate load and still won't. 

What I thought might work with raising height map from 60 to 61 was a disaster, won't do that again .. most every place that had buildings on it .. looked like this .. Lol.

I'll watch your video's on " How To " and see it might help or this old brain takes it in ... Thank again and I will be back ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.06.16 - 12.34.33.88.png

Regarding traders: the text might say just cities, but actually it is both cities and towns.... I don't think you need more options, you can already control pretty well how many traders you will have.

The screenshot you posted has nothing to do with the heightmap offset. The buildings you are looking at are in a village on a mountain, where the terrain underneath is uneven. You can see that KG is trying to smooth it out.

1).  . . . just needs a 'before'  and an 'after' pic. . . and maybe even a close-up or two, to see more precisely what he means.

and then . .
2). regarding the Trader locations, KS - giving the map-making player more options is a good thing, and better satisfies the creative urge in many - if not all of us that love to make changes to any game - not just 7D2D.    It could be something similar to what you already have under "Advanced customization" - but under a "Trader Customization" category, so: -  "Cities", "Towns", "Wilderness", "Anywhere" and "None", with numeric choices for each category. This can, or should have an overall maximum numeric limit for the map - one dependent upon the map size, so, for e.g, a 4k map might have a min of '0', with a max of '8' Traders: You (KS) would set that limit for each map size to whatever value you think is appropriate. A 16k map might have a min of 0 and a max of 20... An 8k map might be limited to a max of, say  14... and so on.

The existing "POIs" menu would need a small change or two, but I reckon you could do this "Trader Mod" moderately easily - and it would enhance the players' creativity, and give even more 'professional polish" and growing functionality to an already superior Map Generator!
My main point is - let the player divide them up, and put them in any category he or she wants, with the only limit being dependent upon map size - which you (KS) set in the application.   Does that make sense?  

pj 
. . . .  even older gamer!  (than gpcstargate)

3 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

I was able to get an 8k to load on here .... this one shows the NE corner not connected by road to the rest of map (top area North down along the East side to desert)  Hope that helps. ........ I also was able to make 1 map that was void of Traders for the most part of the center to the lower half of the map as in a upside down cone and had about 5 cities in it boundaries. ...... And even this one is pretty lacking in Traders with setting at increased.  "setting for desert, snow and burnt were on small"

Thank again for your time ... the Old Gamer .. 😌  ........................................... pj 75 in Aug, does that help .. LOl 😊

preview.png

28 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

I was able to get an 8k to load on here .... this one shows the NE corner not connected by road to the rest of map (top area North down along the East side to desert)  Hope that helps. ........ I also was able to make 1 map that was void of Traders for the most part of the center to the lower half of the map as in a upside down cone and had about 5 cities in it boundaries. ...... And even this one is pretty lacking in Traders with setting at increased.  "setting for desert, snow and burnt were on small"

Thank again for your time ... the Old Gamer .. 😌  ........................................... pj 75 in Aug, does that help .. LOl 😊

preview.png

Yeah, there should be a couple more roads connecting the NE cities with the rest... I will tweak the algorithm.

Traders seem abundant.

1 hour ago, gpcstargate said:

I might have fixed the roads problem. The algorithm now checks all possible pairs of cities and if there is no obstruction in between, then a road is generated to connect them.

Community heightmaps!

Hello everyone! I am pleased to announce that the next version of KingGen will support community heightmaps. Users will be able to share their creations with the community so that others can enjoy them too!

How it works

Community members can submit their heightmaps to this google form. Heightmaps will be stored on a server from which they can be downloaded by KingGen with just a click. Users will see them from within KingGen and they will be able to select and download what they like. Everybody is welcome to submit heightmaps.

Heightmaps

Heightmap files must be grayscale png images, either 8bit or 16 bit. They must match the size of the world they are meant for. For example 4K, 6K, 8K, 10K, 12K, 14K and 16K use 4096x4096, 6144x6144, 8192x8192, 10240x10240, 12288x12288, 14336x14336 and 16384x16384 images respectively.

Topics

Heightmaps can be about anything! They can be countries, animal silhouettes, mystic lands, geometric shapes... Anything! Let you imagination wonder freely.

I would like to extend a special invitation to take part in this effort to @Cpt Krunch, @scallipus, @Wolves Hero and @Tallman Brad from which I have seen some wonderful creations in the past!

Here are some community heightmaps I love:

On 6/10/2021 at 11:02 PM, Wolves Hero said:

spacer.png

On 6/3/2021 at 10:04 PM, Wolves Hero said:

7DtD bug 1.png

I'm still working on my version of the UK heightmap but I'll be more than happy to share it including biome and city png once I have it all pinned down. 

I think it's a great idea to make community maps available to everyone and I'll certainly be interested in trying other creators maps out!

Awesome on the height map submissions. I love making height maps from scratch and I really hope to see some creative designs! Already submitted my first one I made. @KingSlayerGM KingGen is head and shoulders above the rest of map gen tools and I sincerely thank you for the inspiration! KingGen as a platform makes a sandbox true to it's name. Now if we could figure out caves that would be a game changer!