A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

In alpha 20 will there be 1 biome of each per RWG seed by default? Will there be options to customize this further? (1 biome worlds perhaps, or 80% desert and 20% other.) Is the plan to have randomly generated worlds using a set of algorithms and generation rules or will there simply be a selection of a handful of templates the game could choose from?

That would be cool to have more variety in randomization, however I was focused more on importing a static height map with specific city and town locations (the rest could be randomly generated of course).  I think there are a lot of modders that would greatly appreciate that sort of functionality. 

16 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal the day lenght is cool and all, yet we are missing fractions on the top of the spectrum. Meaning for less than default we get 10min, 20min, 30, 40 AND 50 minute days, yet above default we just get 90 and 120 mins. 

So we can't get a huge day and a huge night with that option alone and have to tweak the other two options (daylight lenght and horde frequency), BUT horde frequency doesn't make the day longer and daylight lenght can only make it smaller and the night has a lenght limit too. Also horde frequency forces you to change the 7 day frequency if you try to compensate the plain day lenght option and in the end you just get more days and not the desired 2 hour night (exaggerated example, but I think the point is mostly clear).

Any chance we get 180, 240 and 480 min day options ?

I gather 240mins will be quite popular for "leasure" plays, and by leasure I mean more day time at the cost of brutal nights and infinite hordes.

I've got over 10500 hrs in this game and I always play with 240 minute days. Used to be able to set that in a SP game but it disappeared somewhere around A12-A13. I tried playing with 120 minute days but I can't really get into it. When they took that setting away I started renting a server and have rented one ever since. I'd love for that setting to come back. I don't really care if it's balanced or not because I usually change the settings on my server anyway. 

11 minutes ago, G2manT said:

I've got over 10500 hrs in this game and I always play with 240 minute days. Used to be able to set that in a SP game but it disappeared somewhere around A12-A13. I tried playing with 120 minute days but I can't really get into it. When they took that setting away I started renting a server and have rented one ever since. I'd love for that setting to come back. I don't really care if it's balanced or not because I usually change the settings on my server anyway. 

Balance wouldn't really be a question, at least in regards to horde nights. The player could easily change the hordes to occur once every 30 days, or they could roll back the time. But yes, a less artificial option would be nice. (As would the option to change the difficulty depending on if it's nighttime or daytime.)

40 minutes ago, G2manT said:

If you are comfortable editing an xml file you can do it fairly easy. I would suggest using notepad+ though as I am not sure how well it would work in regular notepad

taZDisz.png

Sorry Mod/Devs. Forgot I was in the dev diary channel

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Requiemfang said:

Hey all been a while since I was around here. Game looks like it's getting better and more beautiful. Question I have is with all the zeds getting these new high detail models will the player character models be getting the same treatment in the future?

I'm 100% sure they will be  when the games goes gold

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

On 2/1/2021 at 9:31 PM, MechanicalLens said:

Not to mention I've seen plenty of smaller creators (not going to mention names) all hinting at, "A20 is probably not that far off." Well, they're just setting themselves up for disappointment. *Shrug*

Yup, been seeing that myself...

ok, what the hell are you guys making bras out of, yes bras... I am using a stone spear. see grandma coming at me, knock her down and as a follow up. I throw a spear at her, hit her in the boob... and it went "TINK!" wtf? armor plated boobs now?

edit: sorry mechanical, so, for those who don't know or never experienced boobs. "tink" is not a normal sound they make

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

ok, what the hell are you guys making bras out of, yes bras... I am using a stone spear. see grandma coming at me, knock her down and as a follow up. I throw a spear at her, hit her in the boob... and it went "TINK!" wtf? armor plated boobs now?

edit: sorry mechanical, so, for those who don't know or never experienced boobs. "tink" is not a normal sound they make

Actually you hit the nipple while she was very excited seeing you! :whoo:

13 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Actually you hit the nipple while she was very excited seeing you! :whoo:

There's a misunderstanding. They only do the "tink" when it's chilly, like when inside the snow biome. They sometimes shoot lasers from there too.

9 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

It just came out of the blue is all. *Shrug*

10 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

I think I missed the best conversation on here since A19 Developer Diary.  In before its terminated.

On 1/31/2021 at 2:06 PM, Adam the Waster said:

Any one smell BBQ again?Image

Also THIS! is the type of zombie iv asked for. 

A zombie where you can't tell who they once were like a Crawler, Hope we can find this Bad mo fo in alot of places

11/10

can't wait to see more. (ill be waiting)  

14 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

rigamortis made them hard as steel! 

@Blake_ So I was flying around in a creative test world exploring POI's for my next base whenever I decide to restart, and my curiosity got the better of me; I decided to loot a reinforced chest and analyze its contents. This is day 1, gamestage 1. It seems that the schematics are not so linearly locked as we had previously thought?

ezgif-2-870953f1c835.thumb.png.686399a6aa4ede26768ba2cd5a8c30fb.png

48 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Blake_ So I was flying around in a creative test world exploring POI's for my next base whenever I decide to restart, and my curiosity got the better of me; I decided to loot a reinforced chest and analyze its contents. This is day 1, gamestage 1. It seems that the schematics are not so linearly locked as we had previously thought?

ezgif-2-870953f1c835.thumb.png.686399a6aa4ede26768ba2cd5a8c30fb.png

Yeah, this also happens frequently to me during a normal game (A19 latest).

IMO it makes sense though, since acquiring a schematic early on isn't OP or unbalanced at all: your crafting level still depends on how much you invested in that weapon's attribute and specifically in that weapon's perk. On top of that some BPs (blueprints) need forged steel or something you can't access yet.

Even better, I see it as an opportunity for a player to choose between "Do I keep investing in what I wanted at first (e.g.: I wanted to be a stealth archer), or do I start investing points into that BP's tree so that in a few levels I'll be able to craft a very solid weapon?".

Leave it as it is! :nod:

13 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah, this also happens frequently to me during a normal game (A19 latest).

IMO it makes sense though, since acquiring a schematic early on isn't OP or unbalanced at all: your crafting level still depends on how much you invested in that weapon's attribute and specifically in that weapon's perk. On top of that some BPs (blueprints) need forged steel or something you can't access yet.

Even better, I see it as an opportunity for a player to choose between "Do I keep investing in what I wanted at first (e.g.: I wanted to be a stealth archer), or do I start investing points into that BP's tree so that in a few levels I'll be able to craft a very solid weapon?".

Leave it as it is! :nod:

Not saying it should be tweaked. :) I honestly thought that it was 100% linear in terms of progression.

Steel wouldn't be the problem though; just find a wrench and take apart street lights. Gun parts would be the issue. ;)

I've been working on a base on an island near the edge of the water at the edge of the map. I made a lighthouse and a boardwalk complete with restaurants, and a place for us to dock our boats. That got me thinking/wondering...Is there any plans for the rivers, lakes, or water border to be "biomes" for placeable POI's like ships, sunken ships, underwater caves, island POI's, etc?