Mountain lion and direwolf are too OP

Both the Mountain lion and Direwolf have been made too OP. Between pain resistance, skipping attack animations, increased health, and whatever else TFP have done to buff them, there are pretty much unbeatable at early game stages with common weapons. I pelted a mountain lion with 6 arrows, and then power bashed it a couple of times with a club and it still killed me. And just shot a direwolf in the face with a blunderbuss at point blank range, and it killed me in 3 bites.. WTF!!! Nerf please.

Edited by Demandred1957 (see edit history)

No time for a "attack strategy" when you get jumped out of the shadows like the Dire Wolf did me. I don't mind a little buff to them, but really... Do TFP not understand how guns and arrows work??? People hunt mountain lions and Kodiak bears with bows and arrows and kill them with *one* arrow.. Not to even mention how many of the same were killed by single shot black powder rifles back in the day...

The Blunderbuss was Q2, and it was literally point blank range... And hard to run when they now have almost no cool down between attacks. How is it balanced to have 2 attacks per second, and a instant stun with the first attack? Again, TFP don't know how guns and bows work. A cape buffalo or a elephant could withstand that, but not a wolf or mountain lion. I understand they think of the player as the enemy, and want to give their creations every advantage to take the player down, but they need to check their bias and bring a bit of realism into the game.

There's nothing wrong with having very hard adversarys in the game. 

The last time I faced a dire wolf, it killed me. I spawned on my bass, built a blunderbuss, went back, blasted it in the face and then finished it off with my club. I made a rant about that on the board.

Point is though, I was down to 16 health and won.

Veni vidi vici

On 7/3/2020 at 12:30 AM, Demandred1957 said:

Both the Mountain lion and Direwolf have been made too OP. Between pain resistance, skipping attack animations, increased health, and whatever else TFP have done to buff them, there are pretty much unbeatable at early game stages with common weapons. I pelted a mountain lion with 6 arrows, and then power bashed it a couple of times with a club and it still killed me. And just shot a direwolf in the face with a blunderbuss at point blank range, and it killed me in 3 bites.. WTF!!! Nerf please.

Working as intended, your not supposed to be able to face tank those unless your in heavy armor with good weapons. me? i'd build a small structure out of wood frames and upgrade em once maybe a 2x2 colum about 3-4 high, with the bottom 2 layers being upgraded, and fight those animals from that. Even in a17 i'd not touch boars without at least a gun of some kind, something other than the blunderbus, while it has good burst damage, if it doesn't 1 shot what your shooting at your usually in trouble if its something that can move faster than a walk. The fast attacking they do though might be a bug. Even if it wasn't wolves, dire wolves, bears and mountain lions hit like trucks.

Look at the bright side, you now learned how dangerious those enemies are, and you'll prepare better for them. Also calling for realism in a game filled with zombies and the player being able to carry around 10 tons of concrete doesn't really fly, nevermind the fact I can put a 4x4 truck in my back pocket like its a hot wheels car.

TL DR: git gud, and prepare better before taking on things you KNOW are dangerious from previous alpha's.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, Demandred1957 said:

an Alpha predator that can kill you if are not properly prepared......imagine that.....

On 7/2/2020 at 11:30 PM, Demandred1957 said:

Then don't go where they are..... Daytime forest you won't have those problems. Btw, I just ate a mountain lion on D4. Saw him in the distance, nerdpoled up onto a roof, shot him with a lvl 3 prim bow, he came over, shot him about 10 more times. he died, I ate him. Working as intended. Boars? Lay down a frame right next to them. Upgrade it, Hop up and nerdpole 1 frame higher, upgrade it 2x. Shoot boar, he comes close, shoot him 4 more times. Eat him... RInse and repeat. Boars are my go to hunting target.

2 hours ago, Scyris said:

Working as intended, your not supposed to be able to face tank those unless your in heavy armor with good weapons. me? i'd build a small structure out of wood frames and upgrade em once maybe a 2x2 colum about 3-4 high, with the bottom 2 layers being upgraded, and fight those animals from that. Even in a17 i'd not touch boars without at least a gun of some kind, something other than the blunderbus, while it has good burst damage, if it doesn't 1 shot what your shooting at your usually in trouble if its something that can move faster than a walk. The fast attacking they do though might be a bug. Even if it wasn't wolves, dire wolves, bears and mountain lions hit like trucks.

Look at the bright side, you now learned how dangerious those enemies are, and you'll prepare better for them. Also calling for realism in a game filled with zombies and the player being able to carry around 10 tons of concrete doesn't really fly, nevermind the fact I can put a 4x4 truck in my back pocket like its a hot wheels car.

TL DR: git gud, and prepare better before taking on things you KNOW are dangerious from previous alpha's.

Yeah, bright side.. Prob was I got jumped outta nowhere by the dire wolf, so there is no "preparing" in that situation. And they were plenty dangerous before they buffed them even more.. I'm not saying total realism, but damn.. Meat cannot take a direct hit like that without getting F'ud up. They don't even feel pain now.. And the fast attack is part of the buff according to the patch notes. Its not a bug its a feature. And I did the column thing with a mountain lion and it cut through the base in seconds. Really pisses ya off to have NO CHANCE against that kinda crap.

13 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Then don't go where they are..... Daytime forest you won't have those problems. Btw, I just ate a mountain lion on D4. Saw him in the distance, nerdpoled up onto a roof, shot him with a lvl 3 prim bow, he came over, shot him about 10 more times. he died, I ate him. Working as intended. Boars? Lay down a frame right next to them. Upgrade it, Hop up and nerdpole 1 frame higher, upgrade it 2x. Shoot boar, he comes close, shoot him 4 more times. Eat him... RInse and repeat. Boars are my go to hunting target.

lemme know how that works out for ya when you get jumped by a dire wolf outta nowhere..

You have the option to avoid that. Stay out of where they spawn. Yes they can also be in wandering hordes but you know what? The game is MEANT to be hard. Even a wandering horde can be seen from a distance if you actually look around on a regular basis... Keeping your head down and ignoring your surroundings is just asking to get ganked.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:52 AM, Demandred1957 said:

No time for a "attack strategy" when you get jumped out of the shadows like the Dire Wolf did me. I don't mind a little buff to them, but really... Do TFP not understand how guns and arrows work??? People hunt mountain lions and Kodiak bears with bows and arrows and kill them with *one* arrow.. Not to even mention how many of the same were killed by single shot black powder rifles back in the day...

HA! Show me the person that shoots a mountain lion or kodiak bear WITH ONE arrow, while on the same height as the animal, and doesn't get mauled....hell, a whitetail deer that is shot through the heart with a broadhead will still run 50-100 yards before dying.

And the blunderbuss is not a black powder rifle, it is a very crappy shotgun that has crap range.

You got jumped by a predator and we're killed because you only had caveman or slightly better weapons, get over it.

Think twice about them zombie bears. I didn't think I'd have a problem. I had a .44 Magnum. 170 rounds.

I got the jump on him and shot him in stealth mode for a 4.5x damage bonus. It ran to me and I was shooting it the whole time. It gave me a couple of hits I shot it again reloaded and shot it one more time... Then I butchered it.

Even Dirty Harry would think twice about doing that again.

The only problem with hard hitting, early game enemies is: People will start perking up the only weapon that is powerful and available early.

The Blunderbuss.   Point blank doing over 100 points of damage will insta-kill most things.  Even though it sometimes misses dogs, lions and wolves somehow, having two+ Blunderbusses is total win with 2 points of perk in shotgun!

This means that Strength builds could start being a common thing, as no other strong weapon comes out for about a week. 

just had 2 Z bears and 5 dogs attack me as I was getting ready to head out for the day's looting, I was totally unprepared, so I ran back up to my main base (day 16, nothing fancy, but mostly cobblestone on top of one of the big rocks, and started blasting with my 2 blunderbusses.  Killed 4 of the 5 dogs in one hit, but the other one slipped away and ran up my run up ramp and made a 3 wide jump to land next to me.

No big deal, I've got a club, except he knocked me off my perch to the ground.... WTF?  Got hit by a bear twice before I was able to run to my kill base and pull the frames up so he could not follow, then proceeded to kill them, even though my kill base was still a bit messed up from the day 14 horde.

I won with about 38 health.

1 hour ago, Darthjake said:

just had 2 Z bears and 5 dogs attack me as I was getting ready to head out for the day's looting, I was totally unprepared, so I ran back up to my main base (day 16, nothing fancy, but mostly cobblestone on top of one of the big rocks, and started blasting with my 2 blunderbusses.  Killed 4 of the 5 dogs in one hit, but the other one slipped away and ran up my run up ramp and made a 3 wide jump to land next to me.

No big deal, I've got a club, except he knocked me off my perch to the ground.... WTF?  Got hit by a bear twice before I was able to run to my kill base and pull the frames up so he could not follow, then proceeded to kill them, even though my kill base was still a bit messed up from the day 14 horde.

I won with about 38 health.

The animals seen to need some work both hit box and physics from the looks of things.

5 hours ago, guardianangelmp said:

HA! Show me the person that shoots a mountain lion or kodiak bear WITH ONE arrow, while on the same height as the animal, and doesn't get mauled....hell, a whitetail deer that is shot through the heart with a broadhead will still run 50-100 yards before dying.

And the blunderbuss is not a black powder rifle, it is a very crappy shotgun that has crap range.

You got jumped by a predator and we're killed because you only had caveman or slightly better weapons, get over it.

Got a better idea, YOU show me one hunter that got mauled.. And deer are not likely to swing around and maul you. And btw, where do you get your knowledge of antique weapons from? Blunderbuss's loaded with grapeshot were absolutely devastating. That's why they were one of the preferred weapons of pirates, and criminals.   

49 minutes ago, enragedcamel said:

The real question is why are these powerful mobs spawning so early in the game? Is "gamestage" not a thing anymore?

I was level 7 and I got ambushed by a bear right as I stepped outside a trader compound. It killed me before I could run back inside.

Exactly, I was only like lvl 4.. total bs that they are spawning in that early as buffed as they are.

9 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

Got a better idea, YOU show me one hunter that got mauled.. And deer are not likely to swing around and maul you. And btw, where do you get your knowledge of a   antique weapons from? Blunderbuss's loaded with grapeshot were absolutely devastating. That's why they were one of the preferred weapons of pirates, and criminals.   

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/utah-bowhunter-attacked-by-mountain-lion#gs.9i97mh

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2014/11/26/video-kodiak-bear-charges-bowhunter-arrow-hits/

https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/survival/2011/03/hunter-survives-gruesome-bear-attack/

Quick internet search shows multiple instances of hunters attacked by both animals.

And on blunderbuss:

https://www.britannica.com/technology/blunderbuss

https://www.quora.com/How-effective-were-blunderbusses-and-how-do-they-compare-to-modern-shotguns

Crappy shotgun with short range, not a rifle.

Also remember, the blunderbuss in game uses stones for projectiles (basically gravel).

It's a step up from primitive weapons, but not a great weapon itself

Edited by guardianangelmp
added another link (see edit history)

I mean zombies are predictable, they move in certain ways, an animal isnt so predictable and has intelligence. 

Animals give important resources when killed, zombies not so much. The animals should be harder to kill because once you hit any guy above blunderbuss animals become pretty trivial to kill.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:30 PM, Demandred1957 said:

What difficulty do you play at? I personally don't like how "bullet spongy" enemies are on the higher difficulties. 

They are zombies, they should go down easy, their advantage should be in numbers. 

I too was attacked by a dire wolf out of nowhere. Was looting a house in burnt forrest & heard something tearing the fu*k out of the house from outside. Suddenly the SOB came around the corner & started mawing my a*s. 

I did survive but he did indeed tear me up. RNG can be a bit*h dude. Like other post said, at least now you are well aware of how much of a pain these things are and you can better prepare. Good luck man!

I have had no problem out running anything in game. Jump over cars or any obstacles, so easy. Only time I have died from animal was when I was jumped, cause me to bleed and was stupid and forget to put bandage back on my belt. 

22 hours ago, enragedcamel said:

The real question is why are these powerful mobs spawning so early in the game? Is "gamestage" not a thing anymore?

I was level 7 and I got ambushed by a bear right as I stepped outside a trader compound. It killed me before I could run back inside.

That wandering horde has always spawned early...