Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Just now, Pegasus said:

There is ... or was ... a mod that triggered a horde whenever you opened a supply crate.  It made deciding whether or not to go for a supply crate a lot more ... interesting.  Do I want to starve to death or do I want to get eaten by a horde of really angry zombies?

if i were to mod my game that would be one to add, gives the little extra without losing the core fundamentals of the game

1 minute ago, DarlingCows said:

I think this is a bug but I was on day 7 horde which was short and after it was done I logged out. When I logged back in the horde restarted. Luckily I was close enough to my horde base to survive it. 

not a bug actually, when you leave and come back to your world the horde restarts, its actually a normal thing

1 hour ago, madmole said:

There will be no lore released. There will be a game which you can see what was done and figure out the lore based on what we did.

You're right, and there's really no need. We all know that Shamway caused the apocalypse. There's no use trying to hide it away from us tinfoil hat wearers any longer, just admit it. ;)

10 minutes ago, DarlingCows said:

I think this is a bug but I was on day 7 horde which was short and after it was done I logged out. When I logged back in the horde restarted. Luckily I was close enough to my horde base to survive it. 

You have to wait until after morning starts to log out ... the horde can and will regenerate through the horde night.

1 hour ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Deep Rock Galactic does ziplines very well. It's not exactly voxel per se, but the small generated maps are fully destructible terrain. They are not glitchy at all but can still be a death trap if you try going up one (because that's really slow) and you haven't made sure the area was clear first. However, there are perks and such that you can use to help avoid a deadly fall if and when it does happen.
Grappling hooks in general are becoming more and more popular in games. It's just fun.

Deep Rock Galactic is such a great game.

There will be no lore released. There will be a game which you can see what was done and figure out the lore based on what we did.

LMAO, did you literally just give up on trying? The hodgepodge jigsaw puzzle of night of the living dead, 28 days later and fallout just become too much to tie together into a coherent narrative?

56 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

There is ... or was ... a mod that triggered a horde whenever you opened a supply crate.  It made deciding whether or not to go for a supply crate a lot more ... interesting.  Do I want to starve to death or do I want to get eaten by a horde of really angry zombies?

(spoiler alert ... after triggering the first one and nearly peeing my pants I decided starving was a better option.  LOL)

That would be mine Ravenhearst and glad i could cause you such misery :D

We're probably going to phase out downgrade blocks entirely. It is annoying to break a 5000 hit point block to have a 4k one spawn in its place. We will probably swap models when hit points are a x % instead of completely remove one block and replace it with another which has it's own bugs like deforming terrain and cars popping up and down, etc. Not everything has a downgrade model is the short answer though.

Thats a shame. Stable cant come soon enough so we can stop losing everything.

7 minutes ago, JaxTeller718 said:

LMAO, did you literally just give up on trying? The hodgepodge jigsaw puzzle of night of the living dead, 28 days later and fallout just become too much to tie together into a coherent narrative?

Hope you're doing alright Jax, heard something was up with ya.

50 minutes ago, JaxTeller718 said:

That mod scared the beejezus out of me on a regular basis.  :D  Thank you. 

I think some of the people here complaining about a lack of challenge should give it a try.  (Not directed at anyone in particular ... no need to get your feelings hurt, I probably wasn't talking about you. No need to jump on me.)

1 hour ago, Pegasus said:

And I figured you were either bored or slipping a little something special into your "tea".

Did I forget to mention it was Iced Texas Tea? Silly me 😇

---

Just did day 21 bloodmoon. When did Loot Bag drops get increased? It was nice to hear the 'jingle jingle' more frequently.

Looted two nice items, a Q6 Pistol and a Q6 Swat Helmet.

The Pistol was because I'd just crafted a Q3 one the night before. (I know this is why. It's just like washing your car. Really.)

And the Heavy Armor Helmet is because I'd earlier asked Devs if Heavy Armor was supposed to be more frequent than Light.

My PC, the Game and now The Cat are out to get me and have joined forces.

... at least it's not boring here 😂

18 minutes ago, PurgatoryWolf said:

I am NOT trying to be a troll or make a debate or anything. But i've always wondered, because I've seen it pop up in the forums every onces in a while.. what is "LBD" ?

Also, is there any sort of date that we can look forward to, cross our fingers and toes, for stable? :) 

It is Learn By Doing ... and was the way you leveled up skills once upon a time.  So to increase your ability to craft an axe, you would make axes.  So people would sit in their bases and craft stone axes over and over and over and over until they were buried under an avalanche of stone axes.  To level up armor skill you would get hit ... so you would either run up to a zombie and let it whale on you or go find a cactus and stand there and let it damage you over and over and over again. (When I was new to the game, the server I was on allowed you to craft cacti as decorations (I don't remember if it was a mod or if it was part of the base game ... it's been a while) and I didn't know that cactus sitting was an actual thing as far as leveling up armor skill ... one of the guys asked "Hey, wanna come ride my cactus?"  I thought it was a really weird pickup line until someone explained it to me. I laughed until I cried.)

Please, by all that is holy, don't respond and say that this is a great idea ... it is anathema.

And as for stable, they had a tentative date of today ... and Madmole has already said it's not going to make it today, dashing my hopes and making me cry and console myself with ice cream.  Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches to be exact.  :D  So, although I'm not a developer ... I think I can safely say the answer is "When it is done."  Which means sometime between now and when the sun goes super nova.  Or I run out of ice cream, because that signals the true end of the world. 

OH! I joined in alpha 15, so I remember the "make it to skill it" .. didnt like it.. all i miss was using the workbench to combine stuff to upgrade / repair stuff. Okay, I always saw the LBD and was like, wtf is that? thank you for answering. :)

Yeah, we've learned a long time ago to take dates with a grain of salt, but it doesn't mean we can't get our hopes up. lol. I spent the day at my mothers going through like 20 boxes of 20 to 60 year old AVON products... I cannot wash myself enough to get the smell off me. :( I was hoping i could come home and roll some zeds for stable, but it shall have to wait. :) 

2 minutes ago, PurgatoryWolf said:

OH! I joined in alpha 15, so I remember the "make it to skill it" .. didnt like it.. all i miss was using the workbench to combine stuff to upgrade / repair stuff. Okay, I always saw the LBD and was like, wtf is that? thank you for answering. :)

Yeah, we've learned a long time ago to take dates with a grain of salt, but it doesn't mean we can't get our hopes up. lol. I spent the day at my mothers going through like 20 boxes of 20 to 60 year old AVON products... I cannot wash myself enough to get the smell off me. :( I was hoping i could come home and roll some zeds for stable, but it shall have to wait. :) 

LOL  Yeah, that smell does tend to stick around.  Try lemon or tomato juice.

And I still have hope ... they still have a few hours to get it out ...  it could still happen!  It could be a Christmas in August miracle!

I remember those days, i play it on my ps4 every now and then, using blood packs to hurt myself, using the bandages to heal, science skill increases, lol, i swear it was such a pain to raise that skill, i tried the craft to god tier, made me feel dirty so i deleted and started over, generally i crafted a new one once i broke the previous one, it is something i miss sometimes, but i don't want it back in the game thats for sure

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Well excuse me for having the kind of vision that would have truly brought Flappy Bird into the big leagues and don't get me started on Tetrus.

Ziplines belong in every game!

Did you enjoy the "Just Cause" game series? 🤣

So ... completely off topic ... what do you think the world record is for cutting yourself with a new knife?

Can anyone beat approximately 20 seconds? Or twice in under a minute?

As I prove, once again, why I shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects.  Or blunt objects.  Or pretty much any object that isn't covered in foam padding.  Although I am remarkably sure I could still manage to injure myself.  I've run out of cuss words ... can I borrow a cup of saltiness?

And you guys wonder why I don't want the game to be any harder at default settings.  LOL  Cause I bring that supreme level of coordination to the game as well.

8 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

So ... completely off topic ... what do you think the world record is for cutting yourself with a new knife?

Can anyone beat approximately 20 seconds? Or twice in under a minute?

As I prove, once again, why I shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects.  Or blunt objects.  Or pretty much any object that isn't covered in foam padding.  Although I am remarkably sure I could still manage to injure myself.  I've run out of cuss words ... can I borrow a cup of saltiness?

And you guys wonder why I don't want the game to be any harder at default settings.  LOL  Cause I bring that supreme level of coordination to the game as well.

I feel ya, I sent a screwdriver through my right hand just last month.

1 hour ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Doom and gloom much?
A positive outlook so you could interpret what I write as positive news could do you wonders.

Such as, we won't release lore.doc for people to pick apart and read. Rather the game itself will be the lore in all the dialogue, quest notes and what you take in with your eyes, ears. A picture or in this case, multimedia is worth 100,000 words.

Losing car harvest bugs is a shame? Breaking through a block to see another block with almost as many hit points and seeing it pop up and down is cool in what way? Look at what you gain, no more cars bobbing or frustrating doors that have hidden health pools and changed materials requiring you to change tools mid destruction. I didn't say we'd lose damage models for sure, I said we'd show the model when the hit points are X most likely. But if I had to choose, I'd pick the streamlined option with no bugs than downgrade models with bugs and blocks respawning with a new health bar.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

Doom and gloom much?
A positive outlook so you could interpret what I write as positive news could do you wonders.

Such as, we won't release lore.doc for people to pick apart and read. Rather the game itself will be the lore in all the dialogue, quest notes and what you take in with your eyes, ears. A picture or in this case, multimedia is worth 100,000 words.

Losing car harvest bugs is a shame? Breaking through a block to see another block with almost as many hit points and seeing it pop up and down is cool in what way? Look at what you gain, no more cars bobbing or frustrating doors that have hidden health pools and changed materials requiring you to change tools mid destruction. I didn't say we'd lose damage models for sure, I said we'd show the model when the hit points are X most likely. But if I had to choose, I'd pick the streamlined option with no bugs than downgrade models with bugs and blocks respawning with a new health bar.

Out of curiosity, should it be done so its just one solid object and not staged objects together, do u think it will improve peoples performance with less to go in places?

And for the others forum question (though im pretty sure it doesn't)  Does changing from the wrench, to ratchet to impact actually give you more per tier or is it only you gathering faster?  im certain its the latter but im curious myself none the less

Archived