Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

4 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Most games don't have a hollow box that has unlimited uses that helps them beat the game. Zero survival games have this.

How many survival games have a destructible voxel world?

How many survival games have a repeating event of a wave of enemies that target you and your base?

I think you are trying to hammer this game to fit into a mold it was not designed for. 

This is not a survival game but rather a game with survival elements.

6 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm wasting time writing on this forum... mods delete harmless posts without even a private message as to why.

Good job! 👍

Was your post perhaps about the word that starts with N and contains a P?  That topic has been declared topic non-grata ... and any posts about it will be pulled.

4 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

and any posts about it will be pulled

Posting about Poles will be Pulled.

ya just cain't help yerself can yu? :biggrin1: thankfully we can still Post about Kittys and Pulled Pork. oh, and Iced Tea.. though that has nothing to do with others.. until you're done with them that is...

(not a comment about the topic ban, it was definately needed!)(I'm making words play together, or attempting to..)(because I'm bored, thought that part was obvious, ;o;)

1 hour ago, Demandred1957 said:

Don't criticize my viewpoint with your equally narrow one.

I agree with your admission that your viewpoint is equal to something narrow...

I think you should take a break. You are really being negative about things that aren't going to be changed. Giving some criticism in hopes of a change is one thing. But once the developer tells you that zombie swimming is working as intended and is staying, zombie digging is working as intended and is staying, vultures vs vehicles is working as intendend and is staying then it is time to accept the new reality and either adapt to it or move on. If these three things are deal breakers for you then move on. If you can adapt to them and still have fun then do so.

But it is time to accept that they are part of the game and stop being so negative here.

The same goes for @STyK_ with the hardcore changes. You've been told no repeatedly and that the game is being balanced to default and nomad. Madmole has stated that Adventurer is the default for new players and Nomad is the default for experienced players and TFP is going to ensure that enemies, weapons, rewards, loot, etc. is all balanced to make those two modes the best experience they can be. Going into more difficult or more easy settings is going to introduce some imbalances against the player that the player is going to have to deal with. 

I've been shut down on design wishes that I have numerous times over the years both here and in private conversations with Madmole. I was all in about food spoilage and item degradation and he said "nope" and "stop" and I haven't brought them up since. I didn't participate fully in the nerdpole discussion because he already said it wasn't going to happen however many months back we had the first discussion on it. Once the owner of the company says that it is a definite no then it is time to accept and move on. Your options are to learn to like it, mod it, or move on to a new game. 

When I heard about them adding swimming zombies, I was skeptical that it could be pulled off. I thought it would be too strange. In the end, I was happy with the result. They aren't very good at it and the way they do it is kinda erratic and animalistic like you would expect.

I don't know if it is true that they actually swim faster than you or not... I have not checked that personally. I have seen it in action plenty of times though, and that's not what I have seen. What I have seen is that they swim up at you pretty quickly once they manage to align themselves in the correct position to be able to do so... but that in itself isn't a quick process for them. Many times, they have a hard time and can't even get themselves into a swim mode.

If they do indeed swim faster than the player, I would say it's intentional because if you could just swim in a circle in the middle of the lake, it defeats the purpose. However, again if this is even the case, I think keeping them slower than the player, but the player loses stamina fast while in water would be a better way to go. Swimming for a long time is very tiring.

But anyway... who is spending time in water long enough to worry about this? If you used to swim out the horde, you probably don't do it anymore.

Something I've been curious about since I jumped into this (amazing) game: challenges.

I love the concept of more 'stuff in this world to do, and some of the existing challenges are unique (chasing chickens/bunnies with a nailgun/shotgun), but at the moment they seem rather repetitive (go 300m away, shoot the six themed zombies that appear, turn in for a few hundred xp).

I did an initial forum search and didn't find a topic that popped out on this; is this something that TFP is planning on fleshing out in a later Alpha Release, or is this as far as they'll go? Boy I'd love to see something with this and the clans when bandits become part of the equation; like an actual initiation of sorts that gets you on not shoot-on-sight standing or something. 

16 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

this is what i meant lol

maxresdefault.jpg

That would be funny, although I can picture the the shifting hitbox and wonky movements now lel... like a giant weird dog that is even harder to hit on uneven ground, cause the hitbox is all over the place.

18 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

i like to picture the screamer as a tall, lanky grey creature that dislocates its jaw when it screams

It wouldn't matter to me the type of model... if they could visually show a jaw opening like that when screaming, it would add a lot character and hopefully a little terror as well.

2 minutes ago, pregnable said:

That would be funny, although I can picture the the shifting hitbox and wonky movements now lel... like a giant weird dog that is even harder to hit on uneven ground, cause the hitbox is all over the place.

that would make it fun for me, the screamer right now is too easy to dispatch, even the feral varient she as screamed in is way to easy to kill, please note i always play on warrior difficulty, feels the most balanced for me, but having something like that for the screamer would definitly get attention haha

1 minute ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

that would make it fun for me, the screamer right now is too easy to dispatch, even the feral varient she as screamed in is way to easy to kill, please note i always play on warrior difficulty, feels the most balanced for me, but having something like that for the screamer would definitly get attention haha

I think suggesting to buff their speed or whatever wouldn't be going too far into hardcore territory. Currently Screamers are very easy to dispatch of, unless you're in a mine you've dug for yourself at night. Just my opinion, but they should be pushed slightly further into threat territory (or just make them as fast as feral bikers on nightmare speed, idk).

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

I think suggesting to buff their speed or whatever wouldn't be going too far into hardcore territory. Currently Screamers are very easy to dispatch of, unless you're in a mine you've dug for yourself at night. Just my opinion, but they should be pushed slightly further into threat territory (or just make them as fast as feral bikers on nightmare speed, idk).

i wouldn't even mind if when you killed a screamer, it let out one final scream to bring more zombies, cause and effect, she doesnt get to scream to easy, always at least 1 set of zombies, a little more difficulty, i wouldn't mind her even being like that one, i can't think of it, but picture the girl from the excorsist, her head in a glass box so headshots don't work, and screams no matter what when she dies, i wouldn't even mind having it so she screams differently based on the difficulty of the zombies she is summoning, would make it more interesting for audio purposes, just some ideas

Just now, pregnable said:

NB4 screamer is patched into the game as a 60,000 hp buzzard

have a tornado siren go off, you look to the sky and see a giant bird, vultures coming off of its back, a new mutant from the dukes lab, he is not happy you have lived for so long, the boss has a tremendous amount of hp, it comes with an army, defeat it and it falls to the ground, its body lootable with resources it ate from other survivors in other zombie experiment zones (Referencing RNG)  Carve it up for an insane amount of resources from regular meat and zombie meat, mid day boss fight, turrets to the sky..... i just gave myself goosebumps lol

18 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

When I heard about them adding swimming zombies, I was skeptical that it could be pulled off. I thought it would be too strange. In the end, I was happy with the result. They aren't very good at it and the way they do it is kinda erratic and animalistic like you would expect.

I don't know if it is true that they actually swim faster than you or not... I have not checked that personally. I have seen it in action plenty of times though, and that's not what I have seen. What I have seen is that they swim up at you pretty quickly once they manage to align themselves in the correct position to be able to do so... but that in itself isn't a quick process for them. Many times, they have a hard time and can't even get themselves into a swim mode.

If they do indeed swim faster than the player, I would say it's intentional because if you could just swim in a circle in the middle of the lake, it defeats the purpose. However, again if this is even the case, I think keeping them slower than the player, but the player loses stamina fast while in water would be a better way to go. Swimming for a long time is very tiring.

But anyway... who is spending time in water long enough to worry about this? If you used to swim out the horde, you probably don't do it anymore.

Minecraft has a very satisfying underwater swim mechanic. It feels really good and I hope that players will be able to do something that feels like actual swimming. I like what you say about better swimming with faster stamina drain. It opens the way for swimming perks and even new items like snorkles and fins....

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Minecraft has a very satisfying underwater swim mechanic. It feels really good and I hope that players will be able to do something that feels like actual swimming. I like what you say about better swimming with faster stamina drain. It opens the way for swimming perks and even new items like snorkles and fins....

I haven't properly played Minecraft in many years, but its swimming animation for players isn't that satisfying. 😛 From what I remember, it's like what's in 7D2D; you feel like you're in molasses a lot of the time and in general it's very basic, hardly any animation at all actually. Then again though it might have gotten updated, if MC is still being updated that is.

57 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Was your post perhaps about the word that starts with N and contains a P?  That topic has been declared topic non-grata ... and any posts about it will be pulled.

You're right... I'm not familiar with how moderation works here (compared to Steam) so I completely missed the PM about it.

It took me a while just to figure out where to look. Thanks.

46 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

Posting about Poles will be Pulled.

ya just cain't help yerself can yu? :biggrin1: thankfully we can still Post about Kittys and Pulled Pork. oh, and Iced Tea.. though that has nothing to do with others.. until you're done with them that is...

(not a comment about the topic ban, it was definately needed!)(I'm making words play together, or attempting to..)(because I'm bored, thought that part was obvious, ;o;)

Pfft.  I could have been referring to one of my favorite N with a P words ... Neapolitan Ice Cream.  You know they just want to keep it all for themselves.  But I am wily and wise to their tricks so I have a secret stash.

And I figured you were either bored or slipping a little something special into your "tea".

19 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I haven't properly played Minecraft in many years, but its swimming animation for players isn't that satisfying. 😛 From what I remember, it's like what's in 7D2D; you feel like you're in molasses a lot of the time and in general it's very basic, hardly any animation at all actually. Then again though it might have gotten updated, if MC is still being updated that is.

It has been updated and is still being updated and the swimming is nothing like you remember.

7 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

You're right... I'm not familiar with how moderation works here (compared to Steam) so I completely missed the PM about it.

It took me a while just to figure out where to look. Thanks.

The best way to think about this place is not as a forum but as a development diary, with some forum stuff sprinkled in here and there. :)

Just now, Roland said:

It has been updated and is still being updated and the swimming is nothing like you remember.

Hmm, cool. It's interesting to know they're still updating it; guess 7D2D isn't alone in that respect. :)

Archived