Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, Slingblade2040 said:

any planned changes to intelligence? since crafting stations are kinda easy to find now and schematics are easier to find since quests can just restock buildings and most buildings have a few books shelves not to mention the trader selling work stations and vehicles It makes the entire or most of the intelligence tree kinda pointless to get. like better bartering is the only decent one to get and that's because it unlocks more of the traders secret stash which then really makes the rest of intelligence pointless.

It needs an early game weapon, and it is possible that junk turrets could use a buff when you are shooting them manually(still testing it), but intelligence is pretty good. 

Advanced engineering lets you get the forge cement mixer and crucible early, if you are unlucky, but it also lets you get 33% more of anything out of the forge, and around 50% more steel.  The extra resources is nice and helps you power level faster. 

Once you start questing, barter and daring adventurer are both really nice... especially if there is a rare schematic you are looking for... they are both really good for that. 

Next thing you know you have most of intel, so you might as well pick up physician for extra healing and some rare crafting before you leave, heh. 

This is basically the story of my str/intel build. 

If intelligence had the wrench skill, I would probably go straight for intelligence, and it would probably be OP. 

Hello, i would like to nominate 3 modders for modders of the year!

OC :                  For his outstanding work and time he has put in to Server Tools:  Making this game a better place to play against Hackers all the while developing Server Tools management.

Prism501:       For his outstanding work and time he has put in to  CPM:  Making this game a better and safter  place to play against Hackers all the while developing CPM management.

giK:                For his outstanding work and time he has put in to Glitch/Xray bot : Making this game a better and safer  place to play against Hackers all while maintaining his own server.

These 3 people have committed countless hours to providing server admins security features for their server 7d2d has simply ignored fixing. People like this in the community is the only reason 7d2d is still alive for PvP servers!

god bless you @oc @Prism501 @gik

I nominate you for modders of the year!

19 hours ago, madmole said:

We're probably going to phase out downgrade blocks entirely. It is annoying to break a 5000 hit point block to have a 4k one spawn in its place. We will probably swap models when hit points are a x % instead of completely remove one block and replace it with another which has it's own bugs like deforming terrain and cars popping up and down, etc. Not everything has a downgrade model is the short answer though.

Yeah makes sense. Long as you keep the models for different situations around the map and the cars are not all displayed in the same condition as that will look to uniform.

Maybe you could use the models of the vehicles we the players use and place them around the world as a extra props in different scenarios.

Like cars they can be salvaged from or have them smashed up as if other survivors had previously used them (dead body by the side) etc.

2 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

any planned changes to intelligence? since crafting stations are kinda easy to find now and schematics are easier to find since quests can just restock buildings and most buildings have a few books shelves not to mention the trader selling work stations and vehicles It makes the entire or most of the intelligence tree kinda pointless to get. like better bartering is the only decent one to get and that's because it unlocks more of the traders secret stash which then really makes the rest of intelligence pointless.

Crafting stations kinda easy to find? Are you playing A18? In A19 finding a working workstation is the lucky exception

51 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Crafting stations kinda easy to find? Are you playing A18? In A19 finding a working workstation is the lucky exception

they could also mean finding the blueprints are easy as well, when i was playing with 100% loot it was rather common to get the blueprint from the broken workstations

i almost kinda wish that if you were to only find the blueprints that u needed to find a few to unlock said item instead of 1 and done

18 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

they could also mean finding the blueprints are easy as well, when i was playing with 100% loot it was rather common to get the blueprint from the broken workstations

i almost kinda wish that if you were to only find the blueprints that u needed to find a few to unlock said item instead of 1 and done

Not true; the chance of finding the schematics within destroyed workstations has been greatly reduced, and it doesn't even out to what it was before, not even close.

13 hours ago, EggsAisle said:

I'm looking forward to the special infected in particular. Pipe weapons are cool too, but 7D really needs some new baddies.

Could you tell us a little about some of your inspirations/influences for the specials? I realize the concept art phase is pretty early in the whole scheme so there's probably not a lot you want to share just yet, but I'm curious and it wouldn't hurt to ask. To be more speccific, are you aiming for a similar look we have to the infected right now, or do you have other aesthetics in mind? Like really leaning on the grotesque/body horror (Resident Evil or The Last of Us style) or maybe something more fantasy/SF (like System Shock, Dead Space, The Witcher...) I'm just intrigued because some of the current designs like the crawler and the wight are more than just "dead humans, but animate and hungry" and I'm wondering if you're aiming for more of that or less.

Some will be very similar to the original like the screamer and fat cop. Spider looks a little more monstrous now and slightly mutated. The screamer has more of a witch look to her and her mouth hinges very wide and has a glasgow smile and rows of sharp teeth, black eyes, etc. There is a radiated zombie with tumors all over his back like the hump back of notre dame almost and he can tear one off and throw it at players causing radiation damage and several others we can reveal as they progress. We are still working on visual design though so things can change some as we work through the iterations.

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

Some will be very similar to the original like the screamer and fat cop. Spider looks a little more monstrous now and slightly mutated. The screamer has more of a witch look to her and her mouth hinges very wide and has a glasgow smile and rows of sharp teeth, black eyes, etc. There is a radiated zombie with tumors all over his back like the hump back of notre dame almost and he can tear one off and throw it at players causing radiation damage and several others we can reveal as they progress. We are still working on visual design though so things can change some as we work through the iterations.

loving what i am hearing, so does that mean the radiation suit will make a comeback?  I loved that outfit

12 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

Love vultures but would love other flying atrocities as well.

Maybe bring back the wasps for certain biomes that would be wicked. 

I have an idea for a mutated fly human gross looking thing but we were a little worried it might turn into a hornet 2.0 issue that people wouldn't like it.

hornet 2.jpg

Just now, madmole said:

I have an idea for a mutated fly human gross looking thing but we were a little worried it might turn into a hornet 2.0 issue that people wouldn't like it.

hornet 2.jpg

i would be calling it the pixie, and hornet issue, if thats the case bring it on, ill still beat these things down haha, open a room in a poi and have like 4 of these things come out at you buzzing, molotov for the win hahaha...... and i burned myself..... worth it

8 hours ago, Kam R. said:

The biggest mystery for me will be how people keep spelling words wrong that they can clearly see written correctly hundreds of times in previous posts or replies and when in doubt have many means to look up. Is it laziness? Most likely. Some form of disability? Possible. Or pseudo edginess trying to trigger grammar nazis? Hey, it's the internet after all. Thanks for dealing with this phenomenon in a slightly (but not too) snarky and creative way.

P.S.  The noun "synonym" instead of the adjective "synonymous" is in order, since you preface it with an indefinite article. 😛

Not everyone is a native English speaker. Not everyone reads and writes in the same way. Sometimes it is people's phones doing weird things.

But belittling someone because you, personally, have OCD and cannot just overlook the error is just as annoying to some as the errors are you to you.  (Okay, and to me, but I take a deep breath and move on.)  

There's no reason to be mean ... it is entirely possible that the person you are mocking is communicating in a non-native language or has other issues with spelling/cognitive function.  I have a dear friend who is one of the smartest people I know, but he cannot spell to save his life. His brain just doesn't work that way.

So get your head out of your behind and stop being a supercilious (insert common nickname for male genitalia). If it really bothers you that much ... perhaps you should stop reading.  Or just skip over the posts from those who commit these atrocious assaults onto your tender little eyeballs.

11 minutes ago, madmole said:

Did you read this @SolutOdka the screamer will basically be mistress Tilly 🤭😅🤣🧙 You better watch out!

4 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

It probably isn't 100% done but I'm pretty sure you haven't played an intellect build and you are just saying this from reading the perk trees and have zero actual experience playing it.

18 minutes ago, madmole said:

Oh god, I love it... 

Its very my kind of biblical monstrosity of the zombie horror kind.. haha.. 

7 hours ago, FileMachete said:

@Kam R.

I'm one of those that constantly struggles with spelling & grammar. Have my whole life. I was lucky and had a 5th grade teacher who could relate. He himself wasn't a natural born speller and one day recognized that a big part of the problem was that I was trying to force everything to be consistent and logical. Because that's the way my brain works. I hate simple memorization. Things only really make sense if I fully understand the fundamental underlying reasons and logic.

So Math, Physics, Chemistry, Computers, things that are consistent, those give me no trouble. Yet something that should be a simple spelling rule; if two vowels are seperated by a single consanant then the first vowel will sound as a long vowel (and I probably have this incorrect) constantly trips me up.

Is it 'quality' or 'quallitty'? While I will usually <-- see? notice that there are too many letters in the latter, sometimes I won't. Luckily I've always been a reader so, as you say, I have ample examples to pull from that help quite a bit. Yet relying on things just 'looking right' only works sometimes. I've noticed that if I've been doing a lot of *nix command line, where things look like a hopped up monkey spazing out on a keyboard, then it's far more likely that even bizarre spellings won't trigger the, "hmm, that doesn't seem right...". So it won't even occur to me that I need to look up the proper spelling.

Guess you could look at it this way. My sister has the same bad luck around sharp objects as Pegasus. I actually keep a very dull knife just for her to use when she visits. And as a joke I place it along with a first aid kit out on the counter before she arrives, heh :)

Spelling & grammar are my sharp kitchen knife. I will cut myself. Regardless of how good my intentions are.

Try not to laugh out loud, offer a bandaid, and know that, just like the cat who falls off the table, I am all to aware of my own clumsyness.. :classic_wink:

:grouphug:

Don't let them get to you.  You can only do what you can do, and you do just fine.  

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

These sound like fantastic, terrifying concepts! :)

Just spitballing here, but I think it would be cool if there was a zombie variant or two that fluidly changed your playstyle around them. Perhaps a mutated type that discourages you from melee or ranged combat, for instance.

Also, the new cop vomit looks great, I only recently noticed it. Are there any plans though for it to deal player damage (if the player steps on it) or even corrosion damage to structures while the bubbling puke lingers around?

1 minute ago, Jay_ombie said:

Oh god, I love it... 

Its very my kind of biblical monstrosity of the zombie horror kind.. haha.. 

That is just a random image off the internet. It would be zombie looking on the "human half" and even the fly would part would be undead ish with holes in its wings and fly feet twisted, etc.

Another pretty crazy gross one here we won't do but it is something you cannot unsee which I like.

pug zombie.jpg

1 minute ago, madmole said:

That is just a random image off the internet. It would be zombie looking on the "human half" and even the fly would part would be undead ish with holes in its wings and fly feet twisted, etc.

Another pretty crazy gross one here we won't do but it is something you cannot unsee which I like.

pug zombie.jpg

Eewww! I'm never sleeping again 🙈

1 minute ago, madmole said:

pug zombie.jpg

Hey, I think it would be great as a new mutated type, so long as there is even a vague explanation on how it came to be. :) Otherwise, it'll just be like the hornets of old, standing out for no apparent reason other than it "looking cool".

19 minutes ago, madmole said:

pug zombie.jpg

Surreal and yet fascinating.

Reminds me of that scene from Body Snatchers.

body-snatchers.jpg

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

pug zombie.jpg

to adapt and extract from those cute abominations, we could have humans that are half slug, move kinda like the crawler right now and the feral version could move even faster, mutations, i like to roleplay that the zombies are created by the duke in a cloning facility of some kind, thats why so many are alike, and i like to think of some aberations like the fly, demolisher, tank, demon, spider and such (some i got in my head) and he unleashes them on you as a "test"

Archived