Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Technically, dead bodies sink ... then they begin to float after they start to decompose. 

However, zombies are not technically completely dead, and since they don't leave a trail of rotting body parts behind them, one can assume that something in the zombification process stops the decomposition process at some point before their bodies completely rot. 

The real question is whether or not they breathe.  If they breathe ... or at least their diaphragms work and inhales and exhales air into their lungs, it would make sense that they would float ... and that the movement of their legs and arms would mimic swimming. 

Although it does bring up the question to my mind ... where are all the fish?  Wouldn't fish eat the zombies as they try to swim?  I'm picturing swarms of those little minnow fish that are always nibbling on your toes when you wade in the pond.  

16 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

sooo... how ya'll doing?

Nice day here... might make some iced tea..

wanna talk about Vultures?

:classic_biggrin:

LOL, I was just about to talk about vultures for real...

So I did my day 35 horde, and I did not get any cops this time... mostly soldiers, normies and irradiated spiders... but I also had A LOT of spitting vultures. 

It was pretty great TBH.  Even with a turret covering me, with maxed out turret skill, I still got an infected booboo. 

A slightly more annoying buzzard with good block damage would take care of a lot of cheesy builds. 

Just have a swarm of annoying pos buzzards eating away at your base from the top. 

10 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

sooo... how ya'll doing?

I'll take a glass please.

And I detest vultures.  I vote for setting them all on fire, salting the ashes and burying them at bedrock and sealing the crypt with 50 layers of polished steel.

Then jumping up and down on it while saying "Nya nya nya. Take that!"

1 hour ago, Demandred1957 said:

Lame excuse.

Such an entitled attitude. You asked a question and received an answer. Move on.

Zombies swim for gameplay reasons because otherwise you could tread water forever (like you could for 18 alphas) with no repercussions. Realism and other interpretations of zombies are irrelevant.

"cute" and "vulture" in the same sentence @Jugginator ? I worry about you sometimes, I really do... :classic_biggrin:

Teas done, come n get it! (handing glasses to Mechanicallens and Pegasus)

I actually had a bit on vultures as well Pregnable 😀

---

Running the Shotgun Factory I got infected by vultures twice. I started off with 1 jar of Honey, so first time I waited to take the honey till infection was about 3.7%. So of course shortly after the honey timer expired I got infected again. So I had to run quick like back to base for another jar, just made it too.

So two things.

1) seems like if a vulture/s get more than one or two pecks in you get infected. Btw, was wearing full set of q6 Padded armor. Is that working as intended?

2) was thinking maybe, maybe, having something like a Booster Shot, where it wouldn't cure infections, but it would slow down how fast say the first 10% progressed might be interesting. Either as a seperate item or possibly as part of taking Honey/Herbal/Antibiotics.

Point being, hopefully, to be able to not have to always pack some antibiotics with you. But for an ongoing cost.

??? also thinking maybe an Advanced Medical Kit consumable could include antibiotics. So late game, once you could afford to make some of these, you could carry just a single 'medical' item instead of FirstAidBandage or FirstAidKit, along with Pain Pills and Antibiotics?

(sry, ment to chk if FAK also handle what PP do, not sure if they do)

Edit: oops, meant to include a Splint/PlasterCast in the Advanced Medical Kit as well. Just trying to save a few precious backpack slots.

43 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

Such an entitled attitude. You asked a question and received an answer. Move on.

Zombies swim for gameplay reasons because otherwise you could tread water forever (like you could for 18 alphas) with no repercussions. Realism and other interpretations of zombies are irrelevant.

"such a entitled attitude" Good thing I don't care about your opinion..

1 hour ago, FileMachete said:

sooo... how ya'll doing?

Ugh.. bout sums it up. LOL speak of the devil and he shall appear. Walk outside and there is a swarm of vultures eating the last groundhog I shot and dumped out in the field..

Nasty ol things.

54 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

The real question is whether or not they breathe.  If they breathe ... or at least their diaphragms work and inhales and exhales air into their lungs, it would make sense that they would float ... and that the movement of their legs and arms would mimic swimming. 

If they don't then they are breaking the laws of physics, because they are making energy from nothing..

3 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

If they don't then they are breaking the laws of physics, because they are making energy from nothing..

They have to be "breathing" yes? The fact that they make guttural noises when they are alerted/attacking you makes me think air is being pushed through and energy (as Demandred alludes to) going through the vocal chords.

I vote that they are inhaling/exhaling!

2 hours ago, beerfly said:

@madmole, um hey man, what are the latest things you are working on for A19, every experimental update gives us really good new stuff and fixes, is there anything cool that we should be even more hyped of ? Even a tiny bit ? :)

I'm done with A19 unless there is a bug I can help with. I'm working with concept artists on special infected and pipe weapon visual design. That stuff will all be really cool.

2 hours ago, Toban said:

@Madmole Are the new shapes you showed us going to be in A19 or 20? Thanks in advance.

I don't know, it would depend if they merge it over or not.

12 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

They are dead and walking around ... some of them barf 20 feet ... some of them explode ... and you have a problem with swimming as being against the laws of physics and reality?

1 hour ago, Demandred1957 said:

Dead bodies that float are also broken down and squishy, because of the bacteria that are making the gases that cause them to float...

This zoms are doing hard reps at the gym..

Lame excuse.

What part of "there should be no easy way to avoid the horde" don't you get? We could make zeds not swim, but then we would have to make players drown when they run out of stamina so I'd rather not hear all the complaints about drowning and have zombies be able to get to you in the water. We have our own lore that is molded around tower defense, fun and challenge, not Romero lore or whatever flick you think feels real and immersive.

(sitting on the porch, watching the clouds drift by)

"Jugg, I swear you ain't got a lick o sense when it comes to looks." "Remember that stray dog you took in?" "Part Pug, part weiner and part Possum, 100% fugly." "Used to scare all the kids in the neighborhood!"

"did I tell you I overhead Snowdog and another feller on the CB, might a been DaVega or maybe that ole hoot Guppycur, anyways, they were going on and on about sometin down at Aunt Sallys Apoc-A-Go-Go.."

"I dint have anything else going on, so I decided to head over and see fer myself." "When I got there I was confused, cause there were a number of gals waitin to get in. and aint never seen that before, but I figured that can't hurt, more pretty ladies n all."

"Turned out it weren't Aunt Sallys normal fare, there were some gals on stage sure nough, but they were all dressed up in evenin gowns n such, singing and dancing." "Was a bit disappointed but had already paid the cover so decides to stay fer a bit."

"bout 20 minutes later the DJ comes on saying 'Now for what you've all been waiting for! The Fabulous Cherrr!!"

"An I couldn't make this up ifn I tried, yu know who came out from behind the curtain then??" "Come on Jugg, guess!" "You'll never guess so I'll tells ya..."

"It was Roland!! All gussied up in a short red sequined tight dress!" "I couldn't belive my own eyes!" "But all them gals I mentioned had been waitin to get in?" "Well they went nuts! Screamin and yelling, hell yu'd a thought Elvis was on stage!"

"Meanwhile I'd almost choked on my beer, but yep, it was him fer sure." "So he started in with the dancing and singer stuff, and it was kinda comical with the short dress n all, see Roland has some really skinny legs.. (chuckling)"

"Has a hell of a voice though."

Just now, madmole said:

What part of "there should be no easy way to avoid the horde" don't you get? We could make zeds not swim, but then we would have to make players drown when they run out of stamina so I'd rather not hear all the complaints about drowning and have zombies be able to get to you in the water. We have our own lore that is molded around tower defense, fun and challenge, not Romero lore or whatever flick you think feels real and immersive.

Yeah, you SHOULD drown.. When I first started playing I avoided the water, because I thought I WOULD drown.. Imagine my shock when I found out I could do a jesus thing and walk on water...

9 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'm done with A19 unless there is a bug I can help with. I'm working with concept artists on special infected and pipe weapon visual design. That stuff will all be really cool.

I don't know, it would depend if they merge it over or not.

Okay, thank you for letting me know. 🙂 👍

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

I think @Demandred1957 is forgetting that dead bodies don't really get up at all. If they cant think outside of "Realistic" then they really shouldn't be playing Horror fiction games, reading horror fiction books or watching horror fiction movies :) But some people just can't see outside their tiny box they find so comfy ❤️ 

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived