Played A18 for 1 hour...then reverted back to A17.4

blugold1

Iآ’ll say Iآ’m not a fan of some changes implemented, and Iآ’ll never play A18 while they exist.

- Why is a bow and arrow so flipping useless??? I literally put 25 arrows into the side of a boar while standing on the wall of the Trader, and it still wasnآ’t dead. At that point I was like, WTF is it going to take to kill this thing??? So I clipped over and it still took several more hits with an iron axe and at least three more knife attacks to kill. It would also take ~6 arrows to kill one zombie, while you can punch a zombie and kill it in 3 punches. This makes absolutely no sense. I was even able to harvest about 15 of my arrows out of the boars side after killing it.

- The recipe change is stupid. I canآ’t even cook food without finding a recipe. Like, I have a pile of meat and eggs, and somehow I donآ’t know how to cook it. Youآ’re telling me that I have super human strength and can punch a zombie to death, but also have no knowledge on how to make any food. How did this person become a fully grown adult without knowing how to make food??? I could understand needing to get a schematic for something you build, like a vehicle, crafting benches, dart traps, electric fences, etc, but adding all food into that equation makes no sense. What next, are you going to require a recipe to make a wood frame and plant fiber clothes? Heck, even that would make more sense than food. Or, at least make the basic stuff accessible without recipes, like bacon and eggs, or boiling an egg/meat, etc.

As long as the recipe hurdle exists, and the senseless nerf of bows is in the game (I didnآ’t even try another weapon because this is sooo bad), Iآ’ll pass on A18. I also watched videos of the demolisher, and like others, think that is making the game worse. Itآ’s almost like youآ’re trying too hard to make some things آ“real lifeآ” realistic, while other things are so far from reality that itآ’s clearly fiction. Pick your poison. You canآ’t have both.

there is only schematics for the advanced objects*, everything else can be perked into, boars got a small defense and HP buff to offset the increase in food yield, making it more risk - reward, the starting bow is SUPPOSED to feel like crap, its literally sticks and weeds tied together, they say in the patch notes that the old starting bow was too easy for what they imagined a primitive weapon would be

perk 1 point into master chef, you have all boiled recipes and bacon eggs (which most players stop at) plus teas/coffee..thats 1 perk point...its almost like you didn't even try

*Everything HAS a schematic, but you don't have to wait if you perk into it

I did unlock the first perk and still couldn’t make the food. That’s when is said F this and reverted.

- - - Updated - - -

The bow logic makes no sense. I can use the same material to make an axe, that’s used for a bow. That axe can demolish trees and rocks, yet the bow is worthless.

Until you get better bows and pump up the Archery skill, the bow is pretty lack luster. Indeed most of the weapons are (at the beginning). But, whatever you do, don't adapt to the new changes / challenges okay? Don't make a stone spear, or charred meat, for example.

Iآ’ll say Iآ’m not a fan of some changes implemented, and Iآ’ll never play A18 while they exist.

- Why is a bow and arrow so flipping useless??? I literally put 25 arrows into the side of a boar while standing on the wall of the Trader, and it still wasnآ’t dead. At that point I was like, WTF is it going to take to kill this thing??? So I clipped over and it still took several more hits with an iron axe and at least three more knife attacks to kill. It would also take ~6 arrows to kill one zombie, while you can punch a zombie and kill it in 3 punches. This makes absolutely no sense. I was even able to harvest about 15 of my arrows out of the boars side after killing it.

- The recipe change is stupid. I canآ’t even cook food without finding a recipe. Like, I have a pile of meat and eggs, and somehow I donآ’t know how to cook it. Youآ’re telling me that I have super human strength and can punch a zombie to death, but also have no knowledge on how to make any food. How did this person become a fully grown adult without knowing how to make food??? I could understand needing to get a schematic for something you build, like a vehicle, crafting benches, dart traps, electric fences, etc, but adding all food into that equation makes no sense. What next, are you going to require a recipe to make a wood frame and plant fiber clothes? Heck, even that would make more sense than food. Or, at least make the basic stuff accessible without recipes, like bacon and eggs, or boiling an egg/meat, etc.

As long as the recipe hurdle exists, and the senseless nerf of bows is in the game (I didnآ’t even try another weapon because this is sooo bad), Iآ’ll pass on A18. I also watched videos of the demolisher, and like others, think that is making the game worse. Itآ’s almost like youآ’re trying too hard to make some things آ“real lifeآ” realistic, while other things are so far from reality that itآ’s clearly fiction. Pick your poison. You canآ’t have both.

Don't argue with them - they'll make a fool of you.

They're happy with everything and you're a outsider.

That's all.

the logic is really weird to me too...you want to cook, grab a point in master chef. Boom, done, now you can make the basics. You said you put a point in and had eggs and meat and couldn't cook them? Well, you're wrong. Bacon and eggs is the lynchpin recipe of the first point in master chef. As far as cooking food goes...there are currently full grown adults that can't manage to cook without a microwave. what does being strong have to do with knowing how to cook food? If you don't want to put points into cooking, then you'd better hope you find the recipes, or get used to eating boiled eggs, charred meat, and bottled water.

The bow was significantly weakened (they added a new "primitive bow" which took the place of the first tier bow, and added a wooden bow which functions like the A17 bow), but also notably, boars were seriously buffed. I don't mess with boars at all on day 1. I don't mess with boars until I get a gun, period. Even then, a boar will likely survive a sneak headshot with an unperked Q1 gun...it'll take multiple shots.

What they DID do in A18, was allow you to play in any of several different primary and secondary ways. Pick any attribute, and you can hold your own, assuming you read the weapon perks and fight in a way that suits the weapons you're using. No longer are you made to feel stuck going strength/int to get anything done. You can grab mining perks with extremely minimal investment into strength, you can grab looting and wrench perks with extremely minimal investment in perception. You can build a forge right away with your first skill point...no need to boost your intelligence first. You can also delve deep into any skill tree and unlock unique, strong perks to make that particular style shine.

They aren't all equal, but they're all viable for their own playstyle....that's something that A17 didn't feel like it had.

Yep, lots of balancing changes but I encourage you to hang in there and give it some more time to see if it grows on you. It might not be perfect but there are a lot of things to like about it if you approach A18 with an open mind.

That has got to be joke. A16 was fun but stupidly easy.

Yes, the A16 was stupid compared to the A12...and....well, you know :)

Those difficulties which in A17-A18 - this not interesting difficulties.

Difficulties should entertain and give a challenge but not torture.

I wanted to trash experimental A18 when it came out and somehow A18.1 b4 is playable in my humble opinion except for the framerates. Previously animations felt kind of slow, AKs and spears could be found as main loot etc few weeks ago. Right now looting is more important than it had been before in previous alphas... I don`t understand why people are continously b$*@g about current changes when it comes to gameplay, its just a bit trickier to progress in A18, that`s all. A12 was one of the best experiences for sure.

Then you're doing something wrong. Do you have a cooking pot? Bacon and eggs requires it, same as it did in 17.

Yeah, that is a pretty odd bit of commentary from OP. In A17 you needed a perk to cook most foods, in A18 you need a perk to cook most foods.

On a side note, and I am sure this is absolute sacrilege, but personally I think A18 > A17 > A16 > A15 ... etc

Not that I think the direction they went with the A17 skill tree compared to A16 was the right decision (and it has been rolled back in A18) it was still, imo, a superior game.

And I want to see you hit zombie with bow from 30 meters away

Er... am I missing something? If you consider one block to be 1m³, for seasoned players it's entirely possible to hit a zombie 30 blocks away. You have to be a decent judge of bullet (well arrow) drop and take into consideration the zombie's movement of course.

Not saying it's easy, but it is eminently possible.

i watched one of your videos from a few weeks ago you talked about on another thread.

I thought you had an awesome base, better than anything I've ever built. But it confuses me as to why you care about things like primitive bows and bacon&eggs so much when you are so clearly focused on the end game and get enjoyment out of it? I agree the bows kind of suck and the food situation is annoying having to carry around numerous cans of food but it's a much better game than A17. Maybe you dislike barriers to getting to the end game ASAP? It's really not much harder for someone as experienced as yourself.

Archived