Things you find silly/stupid with a17? and hope are fixed for a18.

Scyris

- Level cap!!!

- no more learning by doing

- no longer able to dismantle weapons and combine the parts

- generally no more combining of items

- looting and exploring is just useless with alpha 17

- item level is useless now, its all the same

- only way to progress is brainlessly killing zombies

- zombies no longer lootable

Still doesn't seem like it makes it quiet enough for it to be useable.

I found my first silencer mod after equipping all armor with advanced muffled connectors and maxing out the noise perk, and I was using the silencer on my pistol to take out sleepers without exceeding ~30 on the noise meter and without waking the other sleepers. To a degree, it also worked on the marksman's rifle (~40), but being close (7-10 meters) to another sleeper while firing would usually wake it up.

- - - Updated - - -

But I agree with you. You shouldn't have to be a master ninja to use a silencer.

Spam Crafting. If I make a stone axe ten thousand times, you would think I'd get better at it. Noo, all I have to do is go kill a dozen zombies and level up and POOF I can magically make better stone axes.

And hub cities. Be nice if it was at least an option when generating a world.

There are a bunch, but the one that bothers me the most:

Weapons are not fun anymore. Back in previous alphas, finding a rifle was exciting. In my case, I'd always put it in my hotbar and It would become my go-to weapon in trouble situations.

Now, weapons are a joke, and there's no excitement at all in finding any of them due to the leveled quality system and gun perks, making them completely useless early game. I don't want my rifle to magically blow heads off after I've spent 500 hours of gameplay, many many skill points in the gun perks and at late game, when guns aren't exciting or useful anymore due to the player becoming basically invincible.

I also don't know what's up with the drop rates in A17, but I don't know why anyone would think having a whole crate full of (useless) pistols at the end of the 1st week makes any sense. This only makes weapons even less exciting due to the sheer abundance. Why in God's name would I bother to spend the time it takes to wack a gunsafe open anymore, knowing how common (and useless) weapons are?

This is how it should be, in my opinion:

1. All guns should be very, very,very rare. This makes safes/gunsafes/ammunition boxes interesting and exciting again. This also makes finding guns fun again too. Lastly, this will balance out the following point.

2. No more "quality" based on level or perks. Guns are guns, and they should all be powerful enough to kill normal zombies with one headshot. There are many ways to balance guns while still make them fun and exciting. The 1st way is to make them rare, as I said earlier. The 2nd way is to make ammunition very scarce and hard to make. The 3rd and 4th way deserve bullet points.

3. Guns should be very, very loud. Using guns carelessly should seriously attract the attention of zombies. Maybe make the game spawn a small horde to your location some time after you shoot a bunch of times in one area, to give the player some time to prepare, hide or flee (not in horde night). This system would make silencers interesting, and create exciting situations.

4. Finally, I do think guns should have a chance of spawning in "faulty" states, which would make them randomly jam or break while using them, requiring repair kits to be used again. They'd still kill in one headshot, but this further makes them fun, balances them out and adds more interesting gameplay situations.

5. To end this lengthy post, I think gun perks should be all about precission, recoil, bullet crafting and the ability to repair "faulty" guns. This means that investing in gun perks would improve your aim, reduce the recoil and give the player the ability to craft bullets or fully repair "faulty" guns. All these things would be in replacement of the do-more-damage perks, which are stoopid.

Do I think these changes will be made in A18, or ever at all? Nope. Do I think they should be made to make guns fun again? God yes. Will I possibly make a mod instead because I know these changes won't be made? Possibly.

I still like the game, though. :)

There are a bunch, but the one that bothers me the most:

Weapons are not fun anymore. Back in previous alphas, finding a rifle was exciting. In my case, I'd always put it in my hotbar and It would become my go-to weapon in troule situations.

Now, weapons are a joke, and there's no excitement at all in finding any of them due to the leveled quality system and gun perks, making them completely useless early game. I don't want my rifle to magically blow heads off after I've spent 500 hours of gameplay, many many skill points in the gun perks and at late game, when guns aren't exciting or useful anymore due to the player becoming basically invincible.

I also don't know what's up with the drop rates in A17, but I don't know why anyone would think having a whole crate full of (useless) pistols at the end of the 1st week makes any sense. This only makes weapons even less exciting due to the sheer abundance. Why in God's name would I bother to spend the time it takes to wack a gunsafe open anymore, knowing how common (and useless) weapons are?

This is how it should be, in my opinion:

1. All guns should be very, very,very rare. This makes safes/gunsafes/ammunition boxes interesting and exciting again. This also makes finding guns fun again too. Lastly, this will balance out the following point.

2. No more "quality" based on level or perks. Guns are guns, and they should all be powerful enough to kill normal zombies with one headshot. There are many ways to balance guns while still make them fun and exciting. The 1st way is to make them rare, as I said earlier. The 2nd way is to make ammunition very scarce and hard to make. The 3rd and 4th way deserve bullet points.

3. Guns should be very, very loud. Using guns carelessly should seriously attract the attention of zombies. Maybe make the game spawn a small horde to your location some time after you shoot a bunch of times in one area, to give the player some time to prepare, hide or flee. This system would make silencers interesting, and create exciting situations.

4. Finally, I do think guns should have a chance of spawning in "faulty" states, which would make them randomly jam or break while using them, requiring repair kits to be used again. They'd still kill in one headshot, but this further makes them fun, balances them out and adds more interesting gameplay situations.

5. To end this lengthy post, I think gun perks should be all about precission, recoil, bullet crafting and the ability to repair "faulty" guns. This means that investing in gun perks would improve your aim, reduce the recoil and give the player the ability to craft bullets or fully repair "faulty" guns. All these things would be in replacement of the do-more-damage perks, which are stoopid.

Do I think these changes will be made in A18, or ever at all? Nope. Do I think they should be made to make guns fun again? God yes. Will I possibly make a mod instead because I know these changes won't be made? Possibly.

I still like the game, though. :)

Let me sum this up some, as I agree on all points here. Alpha 17 is boring. It's a ARPG on rails now with no need to explore. Everything can be gotten through whack a zombie and the perk system. This is the 1st alpha where I ever started scrapping guns on day 1 as the shells are worth more than the weapon. I have started a hundred games in 17 and gotten bored with all of them within an ingame week or 2.

...If I make a stone axe ten thousand times, you would think I'd get better at it. Noo, all I have to do is go kill a dozen zombies and level up and POOF I can magically make better stone axes

This guy gets it. Strange how I get XP for upgrading blocks but not for making them in the first place.

This guy gets it. Strange how I get XP for upgrading blocks but not for making them in the first place.

We've ALWAYS gotten xp for doing unrelated things.

I got xp from mining that I used to fight zombies better. Now I fight zombies to make my mining better.

Mainly 3 things. Strange thing is that 2 of them sounded awesome in theory, but make the game worse for me in practice

1. New zombie AI. SOunds awesome. Terrible in practice. Instead of a nice base consisting of a full perimeter defense, making a parkour for the zombi conga is the best. Which is not cool at all.

2. New POIs. Again, awesome in theory. They are very cool. But again, they made the game worse for me. They should be the rare find. The castle you find on a hill. The shady POI of a town. And so on. Like 1 out of each 10 POIs should be a dungeon. Every fraking POI beeing a dungeon changed the "macro" of the game in a direction I dislike. The combat of this game is not good, it's ok. The awesome things this game has is the building , gathering, defense, survival and so on. The new POIs, while beeing awesome, just make me spend too much time clearing buildings.

3. Reasons to keep exploring. The removal of recipes made exploring new zones not useless, but less needed. It's a bit related to point 2, since it made exploring take 10 times more. I loved scavenging and exploring. Lots of buildings, with fighting involved ofc, but still each was done pretty quickly and you kept exploring. Now in the time I explored 10 buildings looking for resources and hopefully a recipe, I do 1 dungeon. Point is, like with many a18 decisions, they switched the direction of the game into spending A LOT more of your time fighting (with a pretty bad combat system compared to how good the other systems are), instead of exploring/scavenging/crafting/gathring while fighting ofc.

There was just too much whining about spam crafting.

It was out of balance. I could, with little effort, work up to level 500 stone axe that I really should not have on day one. I should not be able to craft the Hammer of Thor on day one, but I should be able to craft incrementally better axes with experience. It was out of balancing, and it just needed to be balanced and restricted.

Instead of balancing it, TFP just removed it completely.

One of the problems today is the current level system of 1-6 for things. People have been whining and complaining about that since it came out, and I too think it was a pretty stupid thing to do. I really hope A18 brings back more realistic level increments. Even 1 to 100 would be better than what we have now. With level gating like that, you really can't incrementally improve a crafting skill. Instead, there are a limited number of huge quantum leaps.

There is a bottom line here, and that bottom line is that I should:

1) Be able to craft incrementally better axes with experience.

1) Not be able to craft Hammer of Thor axes just because I mined a bunch of rocks and killed a bunch of zombies, when I have never crafted an axe in my life.

It was out of balance. I could, with little effort, work up to level 500 stone axe that I really should not have on day one. I should not be able to craft the Hammer of Thor on day one, but I should be able to craft incrementally better axes with experience. It was out of balancing, and it just needed to be balanced and restricted.

Instead of balancing it, TFP just removed it completely.

One of the problems today is the current level system of 1-6 for things. People have been whining and complaining about that since it came out, and I too think it was a pretty stupid thing to do. I really hope A18 brings back more realistic level increments. Even 1 to 100 would be better than what we have now. With level gating like that, you really can't incrementally improve a crafting skill. Instead, there are a limited number of huge quantum leaps.

There is a bottom line here, and that bottom line is that I should:

1) Be able to craft incrementally better axes with experience.

1) Not be able to craft Hammer of Thor axes just because I mined a bunch of rocks and killed a bunch of zombies, when I have never crafted an axe in my life.

I learned karate by waxing a car

I like working with electricity, and working with an electrician let me see more about how it works and how to make wires look nice and neat. At least as neat as you can get in this game. And that has brought a big problem with me at least, with that being the removal of the light options. What happened to them?! There use to be so many options, fluorescent lights, the dome lights, etc, and etc! Now all we have is the simple light. What gives? The different options were fun to use, and set moods of buildings I made nicely. There should also be more uses to electrickery, other than turrets and lights. Problem is figuring out what to use it for. Maybe we can Fallout 4 it up with computers that can control things that are hooked up to the current network, or at least control the motion cameras or maybe even turrets so we don't have to be like right on them in order to control them or change their direction.

Oh boy were to start...

- Where did the learning by doing go, that was AWSOME and simply needed a relatively easy balance. For example, players can only make up to Item level 50, after that they have to dismantal higher level items to increse there crafting quality. So anything you dismantal thats a higher item level than you can make gives you exp. NOt that hard to figure out.

- Zombies hiding in wardrobes/bedside cabinets and TV stands...WHAT, Just no, or at least much MUCH less than now, its like every cubby in a house has a zombie in it, what were they gonna do if no one turned up, just stay in there like a child sent to the naughty corner XD.

- Lack of wildlife in forest biome 4 days and I've seen 3 rabbits and 1 boar.

- Why can't I tape my flashlight to my gun, I have the gun, the tape and the light...apparently Im an idiot.

- The encumbered system...just NO, limit inventory or encumbered system NOT both.

- The disproportionate amount of zeds to a building, A small 1-bed cabin (designed for 2 people at most)...eight zombies, and no there were no other houses insight, and this was day ONE.

I have to say, I enjoyed playing the game when I had to look for things, look for books or find items and break them down in order to make more.

I'm ok with the no loot from Zeds and better loot from containers, (Less Lag)

Perks should be perks, not entire skill sets.

cook books for cooking, mechanical books for mechanical things, ect.

1) FIX XRAY

2) we need new zombie models and AI. Same ol' same ol' models.

3) bring back smell for carrying meat on you, that's when this game became un-terrifying to me was the removal of that. I remember having to hide in a house at level 1 because I had to make a chest to throw my meat in while I waited out the night.

4) less zombies in POIs..sooooo unrealistic

5) I already know where all the loot is so I can just nerdpole up every building and grab the good stuff without having to do the dungeon anyway. Dungeon POI's are a novelty already.

"but its in alpha! we havent finished stripping out the things everyone likes!"

Is exactly what it feels like atm, i cannot understand the logic of taking an almost brilliant game and turning it into a poor rpg/shooter on rails clone that is stripping out all the things that made it great.

Its a wasteland alright and a terribly empty one at that, will there even be zombies when bandits come in? given the constraints already placed on the engine by zombies (even if they do hide), will the wandering horde be down to one?

almost every building a dungeon is overkill and patterns so easily learned its almost pointless, as people have said there is no looting incentive, weapons are thrown at you , mining is largely gone not to mention base building etc etc etc

They are forging ahead irrespective of the community, most of whom have thousands of hours in game. Whilst admitting they dont play themselves!

Their vision for the game is what counts, its a blinkered view and isolates those who most want it to succeed. The ones who have been here for years, not the "new blood with fresh eyes" we keep hearing about, who will take the game forward into oblivion (pun intended). I have always admired what TFP achieved with this game, not sure how or why it went so wrong. But its really sad to see!

I was hyped for A17, but then I started playing it and found that I got bored with it more quickly than A16. Reasons:

- Absolutely no need for exploration (except for, maybe, some resources). Whack a zombie and learn to make bacon and eggs, whack another, wow I remembered how to craft an AK47 from scratch, whack some more, ohhh that's how you craft and assemble a car.

- Schematics in their single use form. These are just no.

Me: "Allrightythen, I have this blueprint of an extended magazine, so I'll make one for me and then I'll make one for you buddy."

Buddy: "Thx man."

*Done crafting*

Buddy: "Can you make one for me now?"

Me: "Make what?"

- POI's like they are now. Really? Every single POI is a dungeon? Zombies are just wandering around trying to find houses so that they can find closets to take a nap in? Zombie squatters begone! I mean OK, I'm fine with zombies being in houses, but just not like this. This just feels forced and out of character.

- LBD and Wellness were spot on as far as I was concerned. Maybe tweak it a bit, but not kill it completely.

- Quality and combining for better effects. This being dropped was very confusing.

- Books. Yeah, those I miss the most. They were the driving force for me and the one thing that kept me "out of the house" and exploring. Finding a Crack a Book tower was one of those moments when you wept tears of joy :)

- AI. Yeah, take away Zeds PhD. They are too smart for their own good :)

I was hyped for A17, but then I started playing it and found that I got bored with it more quickly than A16. Reasons:

- Absolutely no need for exploration (except for, maybe, some resources). Whack a zombie and learn to make bacon and eggs, whack another, wow I remembered how to craft an AK47 from scratch, whack some more, ohhh that's how you craft and assemble a car.

My reason for exploring was to find new traders. I used to have more than 20 traders on the map in A16 and now I have only 5 traders in total. 3 of them are direct neighbours.

And I found the landscapes in A16 much more interesting. The map in A17 is rather boring.

I also reach the limit of the map much too fast. I spent over 300 hours in A16 and only at the very end did I reach the edge of the map.

Me: "Allrightythen, I have this blueprint of an extended magazine, so I'll make one for me and then I'll make one for you buddy."

*Done crafting*

Probably the last instruction on the blueprint is to destroy the blueprint. ;)

- POI's like they are now. Really? Every single POI is a dungeon? Zombies are just wandering around trying to find houses so that they can find closets to take a nap in? Zombie squatters begone! I mean OK, I'm fine with zombies being in houses, but just not like this. This just feels forced and out of character.

The level designers were really exaggerating with the dungeons. But in A18 there will be more buildings without dungeons that can be used as a first base.

- LBD and Wellness was spot on as far as I was concerned. Maybe tweak it a bit, but not kill it completely.

Well, there were some people crying that they can't be a master miner without mining. With the current system they can be a mining master by simply killing zombies.

- Books. Yeah, those I miss the most. They were the driving force for me and the one thing that kept me "out of the house" and exploring. Finding a Crack a Book tower was one of those moments when you wept tears of joy :)

Unless you were in A16 still in A15 mode. I saw players circling around a Crack a Book tower on the minibike looking for a Crack a Book. :)

Intelligent is relative. In fact, intelligent zombies are just as stupid as stupid zombies. It just takes a little longer to understand their decision trees.

Well, there were some people crying that they can't be a master miner without mining. With the current system they can be a mining master by simply killing zombies.

And I want big tiddied goth girl to come by every night.

Some things are not realistic and should not be catered to.

If you don't mine, don't expect to be great at it.

*Done crafting*

- LBD and Wellness were spot on as far as I was concerned. Maybe tweak it a bit, but not kill it completely.

- Quality and combining for better effects. This being dropped was very confusing.

Couldnt agree more with this guy. And everything sounded awesome on paper.

Archived