Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Sensing some coordination here... :)

Bottom line is that it's not a sandbox when the game artificially decides what to give you and when. If people want to "abuse that freedom" then why stop them. By now you have realized people are going to complain no matter WHAT you do, so it's not that... I dunno, if my level 1 ass is able to take on a tier 5 building then why not let me. I've thousands of hours in the game, shouldn't I be able to "abuse" what I know from experience and do it?

Heck, the way you have it NOW is severely flawed, because if I go into a t5 building on day one, because threats are gamestaged, it's actually easier than if I'm levelled up. I *might* see a glowie, but I'm sure to get through it just fine.

However if the building is inherently more dangerous and the threats fixed, no way am I going into it at level 1.

Hence, location based threats (which you sort of already do by gs modifiers) are better. :)

Anyway, nothing I've seen in a18 vids looks like the backslide a17 was, so I'm really looking forward to its release.

I'm conflicted with your argument though overall you are correct and I feel it is similar to TFP vision. We saw what a bad levelled design can do (Oblivion) and what a good levelled design cand do (Fallout). In reality Fallout 4 has a pinch of "you go there, you die" and a pinch of "you can go there, and you will rampage". That's ALL levelled. A very well thought procedural levelled design in which you find sometimes different enemies in a POI with varied levels and you will ALWAYS have an enemy who presents a challenge somewhere in the world.

7dtd has a well enough levelled design with the GS, but lacks focal crazy damage in favor of exploration and player advancement as you said. With a bit of adjustment, MM stated that subbiomes should do it. And then human entities.

Also, a FULLY destroyable world with FULLY killable everything will make things better mixed with all that.

OMFG if you guys liked the day 77 horde day 84 made it look like a walk in the park. I somehow topped my bow drop video in the first minute of the video I'll never live this one down lol. Uploading tonight yet.

Ha sounds like you had some fun! :)

... getting your arse kicked in this game can be a blast. Glad you're getting to enjoy it. Bodes well your saves are migrating.

More rads in POI's?

Radiation suit taking damage every few seconds? I know that you want it more dangerous but being enclosed with all those sleepers and other hazards would make it more dangerous already without adding to it.

Some things have durability of like 20k or so..not sure how big the number is to be honest but it needs to degrade, or not give you full immunity, or some combination of those two.

... getting your arse kicked in this game can be a blast. Glad you're getting to enjoy it. Bodes well your saves are migrating.

Yeah we're not deleting blocks left and right or renaming things so saves are holding up pretty damn good.

It was a blast. I ran out of ammo with 1800 rounds. My ____ blew up. I almost died a couple times, base got overrun multiple times, at the end I was running around with fists in the yard lol... Do I survive? You'll have to watch and see :) I really didn't think we could top the day 77 video, I but apparently the game just deals out kickass on every dice roll now :)

Some things have durability of like 20k or so..not sure how big the number is to be honest but it needs to degrade, or not give you full immunity, or some combination of those two.

Yeah, it could either degrade or there could be a countdown timer in your character menu concerning how long you have left until the radiation starts to take hold; pills and such could extend this countdown, as you suggested.

It would be neat, imo, if the trader sent you to do a special quest in a radiated area (retrieve x supplies or something) and you would need pills in order to survive going there. As a reward (as well as the conventional reward), he could reward you with a piece of hazmat gear. Just a thought.

It was a blast. I ran out of ammo with 1800 rounds. My ____ blew up. I almost died a couple times, base got overrun multiple times, at the end I was running around with fists in the yard lol... Do I survive? You'll have to watch and see :) I really didn't think we could top the day 77 video, I but apparently the game just deals out kickass on every dice roll now :)

1800 rounds? I get that it’s a late game horde and all, but is it possible that there will be a point in the game when you can’t keep up with the difficulty? Or is 1800 an exaggeration? Are you using spray-and-pray guns (M80)?

Loc

I completely agree which is why it is also best to have more dungeon POI's rather than less like the complainers on here are calling for and help people understand they don't have to clear the damn things in the beginning and can just cherry pick from one or another-- just like we can help people understand they don't have to chip at a gun safe with a stone axe or run naked into a 0,0 city on day 1.

Are you being facetious again?

Newsflash: You can simply clear a room or two and get back on the road with whatever you found.

Newsflash: You can enter the POI at any point and not just the "intended" gauntlet entrance.

Newsflash: You can spend whatever amount of time you wish and then stop and leave at any moment.

You can do that with non-dungeon POIs too (so how can this be a reason for less or more dungeon POIs?) and none of your 3 points eliminates the artificial feeling of dungeon POIs. It's still obvious that a lot of the buildings are intentionally constructed as deathtrap. Btw. why would you take an alternative route through a prefab if the intended path is easier to pass through? Because you know it's a deathtrap. Without knowing that, it would be a waste of time and energy from a survivor's point of view to destroy circumventable obstacles.

1800 rounds? I get that it’s a late game horde and all, but is it possible that there will be a point in the game when you can’t keep up with the difficulty? Or is 1800 an exaggeration? Are you using spray-and-pray guns (M80)?

Loc

I used ak and m60. There is no time for head shots or your base will get smashed. Its kind of spray and pray. I need more turrets and traps for sure. No I used 1800 rounds, 800 HP and 900 regular and 100 AP.

I could have tried for more headshots but that thing one shots most zeds so I don't bother. My nick name for it is limb splitter lol.

Once I can craft AP ammo I think I can keep up better. That stuff shoots through zeds so if you line them up you save ammo.

OMFG if you guys liked the day 77 horde day 84 made it look like a walk in the park. I somehow topped my bow drop video in the first minute of the video I'll never live this one down lol. Uploading tonight yet.

Sweet, something entertaining to watch tonight.

Its certainly possible they are like TWD zombies and die, and 0-24 hours later rise as a zombie. But they had the virus and died. What we absolutely aren't doing is people who died in 1975 and their skeletons are coming to life.

OOOOOHHHHH.....

New zed - skeleton that bullets and arrows pass through

:D

Enjoy!!!!

Check out madmole defend his base on day 84 for some super crazy action, and get a first look at the demolisher zombie!

#7DaysToDie

Madmole, you absolute unit! Sure, the horde night cost you greatly (good lucking mining the resources for all that ammo in a week!), but it was an epic battle worthy of song, truly! Awesome job! :D

P.S. Those demolishers look fantastic, and they sound so ominous and terrifying! They really give you the "oh ♥♥♥♥" vibe.

Are you being facetious again?

Nope. I really do want most of the POIs to be level designed. I think the ratio right now is about right. I think they are way more interesting and fun than the uncluttered-see-everything-from-the-doorway houses we had before. We probably can’t agree on this point because you don’t like them and find them artificial.

You can do that with non-dungeon POIs too (so how can this be a reason for less or more dungeon POIs?) and none of your 3 points eliminates the artificial feeling of dungeon POIs.

It’s a reason because:

A) you can play dungeon POIs like non dungeon POIs by breaking in through a window or door (like we used to) and loot a few rooms and move on. Fast, easy, old feeling.

B) you cannot play a non dungeon POI like it is a dungeon POI. Can’t be done.

Therefore

C) it’s better to have more A so that discerning players have more freedom to play as either A or B.

It's still obvious that a lot of the buildings are intentionally constructed as deathtrap. Btw. why would you take an alternative route through a prefab if the intended path is easier to pass through? Because you know it's a deathtrap. Without knowing that, it would be a waste of time and energy from a survivor's point of view to destroy circumventable obstacles.

Not so. If it is day one and I really just need a cooking pot I can find and loot the kitchens of 3-4 dungeon style homes by going directly for the kitchen. In a real survival situation if I could see the kitchen through the kitchen window and had the means to bust out the window that’s what I would do even if there is an opening into a sketchy basement on the other side of the house. I know this because I do it all the time. I don’t treat the POIs as linear and so they don’t feel linear to me. I always take the path I want and once I have a sledgehammer I really could care less about the lighted path. Sometimes I follow that and sometimes I take down the barricades and go a different way. It is immensely fun.

I’m sorry you didn’t catch the irony of my original post but I am for toughest wasteland cities with the best loot and for about 90% of the POIs being level designed.

But I’m also for improving the level designs and randomizing the good loot around the POI etc. I’m not for more empty barren houses and buildings of the past. Someone actually suggested this past weekend that dungeon POIs should only comprise 20% of the world buildings....ludicrous!

Enjoy!!!!

Check out madmole defend his base on day 84 for some super crazy action, and get a first look at the demolisher zombie!

#7DaysToDie

Loved it. That was pretty intense.

I really liked the demolisher. I'm going to be able to put him to good use on horde nights

Sorry about your gyro. Was it in the line of fire from your dart traps and turrets?

That looks like chaos and fun rolled into one. The more i see the more ideas i get

For the crippled leg, is it generic or based on body part hit on player. If so

what about later adding sprained arm which affects stamina while holding big guns.

Although you didnt use them this time if explosives did more damage to stone and dirt.

potholes in my lawn type.

And even though you didnt mean for it to happen, walking in front of a wildly firing turret

should cause the player damage also.

These three things would def change your strategy a bit. Still liked the video, if that happened

on day seven I wouldnt be mad.

Archived