Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I thought the general gist was an outbreak which they tried to stop with nukes but that only made some of them worse?

I've only been following for about 2 years, i apologize i guess i don't remember seeing that before.

On a side note, it pisses me off that my Samsung phone will not auto capitalize "i" yet it will Samsung...

I've only been following for about 2 years, i apologize i guess i don't remember seeing that before.

On a side note, it pisses me off that my Samsung phone will not auto capitalize "i" yet it will Samsung...

A fellow brother in hatred for mobile devices... Nice.

That is my understanding as well. The GPS hunting every 7 days is a tough one though. Good luck! 😉

Loc

Last bit we heard on that (and I wish I was kidding) was aliens.

...hoping mm had just watched maximum overdrive before posting that though. And I'm a guy who doesn't care about lore. :)

Looks awesome!

May I advise you add an extra layer of iron bars on top of the two tall iron bar wall that is positioned by the ramp? Remember what happened last time? ;) Just saying.

New textures look amazing, by the way! Although, it's sad to see the "radiation symbol" removed from the front of the Rad Remover Mod. :p

Yeah I only have 2 left, I can try, its 30 seconds before the horde spawns.

A possible solution would be to make the bar "longer", you can charge to the same point as normal in the same amount of time but you're given an extra second to throw even farther.

I'd want a perk like Fallout 4's grenade perk that shows the trajectory.

Last bit we heard on that (and I wish I was kidding) was aliens.

...hoping mm had just watched maximum overdrive before posting that though. And I'm a guy who doesn't care about lore. :)

I remember when the forum dwellers were blaming it on genetically modified Shamway products. :-)

I still like that as a theory, it has just the right amount of absurdity to curtail all counter-arguments.

So is your plan to have it get progressively more intense biome spawnwise as you approach the center of the cities. Risk/Reward. And post the most loot heavy POI's in the center

Its more like an entire biome thing. There is no reason to make the center more rewarding/dangerous than the outskirts, and that would be harder to communicate to the player.

Yeah I imagine pills will suffice in the biome, but the POI would have stronger radiation so you would need to get in and out quick or blow through all your meds, or have a hazmat suit. I'd want the hazmat to degrade every few seconds or so, so you have to repair it if you screw around too long and of course you take more rad damage while its off and being repaired.

With the new unified buff setup we're moving towards with infection and diseases I can see how it will work now.

More rads in POI's?

Radiation suit taking damage every few seconds? I know that you want it more dangerous but being enclosed with all those sleepers and other hazards would make it more dangerous already without adding to it.

Thanks. It reminds me of when the developer put gun safes in the game thinking they would be something players would break into once they had better quality tools but lots of players tried to break them open on Day 1 with a brown stone axe and it took forever (of course). Instead of marking the location on their map and vowing to come back later with an iron pickaxe, they instead came straight to the forums to complain about how grindy the new gunsafes were and that breaking them down was zero fun....

And in the time it took to complain, the work could have been done already. Classic doer vs complainer. I always say "why are you complaining about that when you could have just done it and it would have been done already. Now you wasted your time, my time and the task still isn't done. What did complaining do for you? If you are going to complain at least have a plan to improve it.

The thing is we make freedom available and some people abuse that freedom. This is why Guppy's non leveled game is bad.

I mean I can dig a hole with a stick or rock too, but I'd prefer to find a shovel.

I've been wondering for a little bit now, why were conventional wall safes upgraded in health from 1500 to the 2500 they are today? They almost always have "lesser loot" than gun safes/hardened chests. Just curious. :)

That reminds me to upgrade the normal safes to 10k. Must have forgotten lol.

I mean, it worked great when cities at 0,0 were dangerous and going into them unprepared was suicide... People not only adapted, but they loved it and continue to ask for it back. Hell, that was back when the game was at its greatest, but yeh Roland, it won't work. (Sigh)

I'm pitching the wasteland is way harder, and has the largest city in the game.

This argument can be applied to almost any game mechanic. People will always complain. That alone is not sufficient reason to have a non-optional rubber band difficulty level.

I mean, it worked great when cities at 0,0 were dangerous and going into them unprepared was suicide... People not only adapted, but they loved it and continue to ask for it back. Hell, that was back when the game was at its greatest, but yeh Roland, it won't work. (Sigh)

Exactly!

I completely agree which is why it is also best to have more dungeon POI's rather than less like the complainers on here are calling for and help people understand they don't have to clear the damn things in the beginning and can just cherry pick from one or another-- just like we can help people understand they don't have to chip at a gun safe with a stone axe or run naked into a 0,0 city on day 1.

I was being facetious when i said they wouldn't work and of course I would never want the game designed around the stupid behaviors of gamers who can't see that its the choices they're making rather than the design of the game that is making it seem grindy, unfun, too hard, time consuming, yada yada yada....

11t-1000%2B555.gif

And in the time it took to complain, the work could have been done already. Classic doer vs complainer. I always say "why are you complaining about that when you could have just done it and it would have been done already. Now you wasted your time, my time and the task still isn't done. What did complaining do for you? If you are going to complain at least have a plan to improve it.

The thing is we make freedom available and some people abuse that freedom. This is why Guppy's non leveled game is bad.

I mean I can dig a hole with a stick or rock too, but I'd prefer to find a shovel.

I personally love finding stuff EVEN if I am not "quite" the level of technology/perks/skill/advancement in the game to make full use of it. So if I have all night to hunker down and whack it open with a stone axe I will, or simply move on and come back when I find/make a better tool to open.

Really the way it should be, if everything is "perfectly matched" to the player current "state" then games really do not offer much view to progression.

So I really like this part! Choices are good.

Sensing some coordination here... :)

Bottom line is that it's not a sandbox when the game artificially decides what to give you and when. If people want to "abuse that freedom" then why stop them. By now you have realized people are going to complain no matter WHAT you do, so it's not that... I dunno, if my level 1 ass is able to take on a tier 5 building then why not let me. I've thousands of hours in the game, shouldn't I be able to "abuse" what I know from experience and do it?

Heck, the way you have it NOW is severely flawed, because if I go into a t5 building on day one, because threats are gamestaged, it's actually easier than if I'm levelled up. I *might* see a glowie, but I'm sure to get through it just fine.

However if the building is inherently more dangerous and the threats fixed, no way am I going into it at level 1.

Hence, location based threats (which you sort of already do by gs modifiers) are better. :)

Anyway, nothing I've seen in a18 vids looks like the backslide a17 was, so I'm really looking forward to its release.

Its more like an entire biome thing. There is no reason to make the center more rewarding/dangerous than the outskirts, and that would be harder to communicate to the player.

So you are reintigrating the legacy way, with each biome having more of specific resources and less of another, depending on the play style, so you need to travel to all biomes to ultra build.

Thank you! I have been saying this since A17 experimental and people still act as though the ONLY way to play POI's is to clear them completely.

Newsflash: You can simply clear a room or two and get back on the road with whatever you found.

Newsflash: You can enter the POI at any point and not just the "intended" gauntlet entrance.

Newsflash: You can spend whatever amount of time you wish and then stop and leave at any moment.

This is why what Guppy says he wants with dangerous locations instead of leveled difficulty won't work-- because people will keep entering the wasteland on Day 1 and die over and over and over again and then complain that the game is too tedious, difficult, grindy, etc. This is the same as people entering a dungeon POI on day one and instead of breaking into the kitchen and grabbing a cooking pot and leaving for a total of 15 minutes they will spend the next 2 hours trying to clear the entire house and possibly even dying a couple of times and then rage about how awful it is that every POI is a dungeon POI.

The next time you come to a house walk around the friggin thing and look in the windows and you'll probably locate the kitchen. Break in and you have a good chance of coming away with at least a bottle of water, a can of food, and a cooking pot. THEN LEAVE!

Okay....done....

#triggeredbymadmole

Tell us how you really feel! Lol

Joking aside, what you state is soooo true.

Archived