Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

"How are these guys getting through my back door!"

...lube confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

My only wish is that demolishers destroyed blocks with their explosions and not entities. Reverse it. People care more about their ♥♥♥♥ than their health. It'd be more awesome.

So which part did you consider the bow drop moment? The gyro loss? (That was funny)

Enjoy!!!!

Check out madmole defend his base on day 84 for some super crazy action, and get a first look at the demolisher zombie!

#7DaysToDie

Wow. Those demolisher zombies are much cooler in action than I expected.

My suggestion for your base is to add a designated panic room/choke point like what you use for your chest room, except it doesn't have anything of value that could get blown up, and there are no ladders that come up from below. Also, it might be useful to have an iron door behind a few key steel doors since they close faster and therefore may save you a few hits.

Nope. I really do want most of the POIs to be level designed. I think the ratio right now is about right. I think they are way more interesting and fun than the uncluttered-see-everything-from-the-doorway houses we had before. We probably can’t agree on this point because you don’t like them and find them artificial.

It’s a reason because:

A) you can play dungeon POIs like non dungeon POIs by breaking in through a window or door (like we used to) and loot a few rooms and move on. Fast, easy, old feeling.

B) you cannot play a non dungeon POI like it is a dungeon POI. Can’t be done.

Therefore

C) it’s better to have more A so that discerning players have more freedom to play as either A or B.

Not so. If it is day one and I really just need a cooking pot I can find and loot the kitchens of 3-4 dungeon style homes by going directly for the kitchen. In a real survival situation if I could see the kitchen through the kitchen window and had the means to bust out the window that’s what I would do even if there is an opening into a sketchy basement on the other side of the house. I know this because I do it all the time. I don’t treat the POIs as linear and so they don’t feel linear to me. I always take the path I want and once I have a sledgehammer I really could care less about the lighted path. Sometimes I follow that and sometimes I take down the barricades and go a different way. It is immensely fun.

I’m sorry you didn’t catch the irony of my original post but I am for toughest wasteland cities with the best loot and for about 90% of the POIs being level designed.

But I’m also for improving the level designs and randomizing the good loot around the POI etc. I’m not for more empty barren houses and buildings of the past. Someone actually suggested this past weekend that dungeon POIs should only comprise 20% of the world buildings....ludicrous!

It's all a matter of preference. What would be cool is a setting like in project zomboid where you can specify what day it is after the infection. Many of the dungeon POIs have so many pallets in them it feels like costco shortly after the outbreak. Whereas the older pre dungeon POIs felt more barren like a building picked mostly clean many years after the outbreak.

That way loot abundance can instead be controlled by the number of dungeon POIs available versus trying to reduce the amount of loot in containers.

For example, day 356 setting would have mostly barren POIs which would make scavenging more challenging. The devs can add another mechanic where electric lights stop functioning after a certain day making it even more challenging. (Not the user made and generator powered ones)

Madmole, you absolute unit! Sure, the horde night cost you greatly (good lucking mining the resources for all that ammo in a week!), but it was an epic battle worthy of song, truly! Awesome job! :D

P.S. Those demolishers look fantastic, and they sound so ominous and terrifying! They really give you the "oh ♥♥♥♥" vibe.

Thanks yeah it could have been worse I was just like please don't blow up my crates/workstations...

Loved it. That was pretty intense.

I really liked the demolisher. I'm going to be able to put him to good use on horde nights

Sorry about your gyro. Was it in the line of fire from your dart traps and turrets?

Yes I swore it was out of the line of fire when I did the test run. I can't craft it either, I bought mine. Oh well another one will turn up. I might have recipe for one part I know, so if I find the other part I'm good.

Yes the demolisher was scary. I'm loving the late game challenge, now that I have a nice M60 I will spend this next week working on some base changes to fight the horde better, and of course farm more ammo.

Yes for now, but I think we might change that.

loved the horde night video. yes please change it so it does to damage to blocks also. I was wondering why that demolisher that blew up near the crates and chem station didn't wreck them. insanely excited for alpha 18. you all did such an amazing job for alpha 18

That looks like chaos and fun rolled into one. The more i see the more ideas i get

For the crippled leg, is it generic or based on body part hit on player. If so

what about later adding sprained arm which affects stamina while holding big guns.

Although you didnt use them this time if explosives did more damage to stone and dirt.

potholes in my lawn type.

And even though you didnt mean for it to happen, walking in front of a wildly firing turret

should cause the player damage also.

These three things would def change your strategy a bit. Still liked the video, if that happened

on day seven I wouldnt be mad.

We've already got some placeholder code for a broken arm, not sure what the punishment will be, reduced aim accuracy, slow to iron sight and slow to load are ideas off the top of my head. (A19+ stuff)

I set my turrets to only target zeds, maybe I got hit by some it was too frantic to remember much.

Epic video, our best moments ingame so far, are gonna get better. Demolishers are dope, all zeds behaviour looks fantastic.

Never knew darts could harm a vehicle, would be great for pvp players. Sorry for the gyro..

Me neither but I learned the hard way. I swore it was out of the way, but oh well, loss means reason to play :)

"How are these guys getting through my back door!"

...lube confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

My only wish is that demolishers destroyed blocks with their explosions and not entities. Reverse it. People care more about their ♥♥♥♥ than their health. It'd be more awesome.

So which part did you consider the bow drop moment? The gyro loss? (That was funny)

Yeah, losing a 100k gyro is a hell of a lot worse than a blow lol. I can't craft it either, so I'll be waiting for traders to spawn one or find the other schematic I need.

Yes I already said I want them to do base damage on explode IMO it will be a lot better.

Wow. Those demolisher zombies are much cooler in action than I expected.

My suggestion for your base is to add a designated panic room/choke point like what you use for your chest room, except it doesn't have anything of value that could get blown up, and there are no ladders that come up from below. Also, it might be useful to have an iron door behind a few key steel doors since they close faster and therefore may save you a few hits.

Yeah this is my "lack of respect" base. I have some way more advanced designs that will do much better IMO but I'm a tank with M60 build, so in theory I should have the firepower to level an undead army. My intellect build will go to my roots base design which is purely designed to survive a ♥♥♥♥ storm. I'll install a hatch on my ladder hole and that will solve the problem. However that weak point was why a lot of them got chopped up in my blade trap.

loved the horde night video. yes please change it so it does to damage to blocks also. I was wondering why that demolisher that blew up near the crates and chem station didn't wreck them. insanely excited for alpha 18. you all did such an amazing job for alpha 18

The initial idea was you shoot his flashing light and it blows him up doing massive damage to entities near him, but after playing it I think block damage will be a better design. The issue is, is there no way to minimize massive destruction? So maybe shooting it can half the damage or 1/4 it or something, but if it goes off on his own it does a lot. I'll have to chat with the team to come up with a plan. This was my very first look.

MM, I loled at the radiated zed taking his anger out on your garden ...

I had a plants vs zombies flash back ..

Yeah I was like WTF is that guy doing to my garden? I LOVE that modded M60 though, did you feel the awesomeness? Pure shredding power, but even with all of that the horde was a serious threat.

Sergeant Arnold: “ Madmole! The courtyard is overrun, get to the choppa!”

Private MM: “yeah...about that”

Lol thanks for sharing the triumph and tragedy! Made my night

Bwahahahahha..

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I was like WTF is that guy doing to my garden? I LOVE that modded M60 though, did you feel the awesomeness? Pure shredding power, but even with all of that the horde was a serious threat.

Yeah it was nuts. It became more obvious when you slowed down to take more calculated shots. Talk about hand cannon...

Sergeant Arnold: “ Madmole! The courtyard is overrun, get to the choppa!”

Private MM: “yeah...about that”

Lol thanks for sharing the triumph and tragedy! Made my night

I survived, it was so much fun who cares. I'll be working on my base and grinding ammo for the next horde.

Bwahahahahha..

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it was nuts. It became more obvious when you slowed down to take more calculated shots. Talk about hand cannon...

Yeah I thought it was going to be a slow night at the office shooting zeds through bars with my traps doing the heavy lifting lol. If something can go wrong in any game, its this one, but that is what we all love about it.

I remember when the forum dwellers were blaming it on genetically modified Shamway products. :-)

I still like that as a theory, it has just the right amount of absurdity to curtail all counter-arguments.

I yes, The Great GMO conspiracy. My theory on Genetically modified sham, the bacteria required to cure it properly mutated, sham was so wide spread that it hit on a global level. I mean look at the military world wide MRE's.

We've restricted the size of towns a bit and there are more destroyed buildings now that are good for framerate, have a bit of loot in them and don't take half a day to clear out. This should let a person dry up an area and be forced to move on.

What regular POI takes half a day to clear out?

A major issue in MP is many people nerdpole straight to where the good loot is, whether it's on the roof or in an attic space, so when you go through the POI you get to the end just to find out the good stuff is already gone. Any fixes on that? Maybe spread the loot out a bit more evenly throughout the POI?

The payoff at the end was a good idea, but people circumvented that right off the bat.

The initial idea was you shoot his flashing light and it blows him up doing massive damage to entities near him, but after playing it I think block damage will be a better design. The issue is, is there no way to minimize massive destruction? So maybe shooting it can half the damage or 1/4 it or something, but if it goes off on his own it does a lot. I'll have to chat with the team to come up with a plan. This was my very first look.

Since the demolisher is a late gamestage enemy, I would suggest his explosion damage should deal more block damage than a cop's.

- - - Updated - - -

Just like yesterday almost; a wandering horde rushed by my house, stopped by my tree farm, and knocked it all over! All 16 trees! Perhaps these undead beings really do have a hatred for anything and everything that is living. ;)

Edit: They weren't targeting them, of course; only dealing random swipes, with the odd one deciding to beat down a tree because it was in its way.

Archived