Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes Augers and chainsaws are considered top tier and should be balanced as such. I have a green auger and can get 3500 rocks with 2 lode and 3 miner (I think) in maybe 2 game hours. I have a steel pick that is pretty nice, but I only use it when my gas supply is low.

Guess that's why they call you Madmole! lol

LOL of course. The idea is something small and terrifying. Could be a mudcrab from half life. I don't know. Cat zombies? But as a cat lover I can't go there lol. I guess I love dogs too but resident evil made them evil enough I don't mind killing zombie dogs. Something small and creepy. Maybe a torso that grew some spider legs or something like the thing. Doesn't have to be kid, but there really I see no problem with something strain ish. We want them popping out of the painting holes and heat ducts.

Okay okay, easy there big bear, if you make them pop out (out of anything) I will literally poop my pants.

Come watch us stream A18, I'll be there on discord.

Please have Discord audio on the stream so we can hear everyone at the same time. Last time I had to stick to a single stream and watch the rest later to hear any additional info that was only revealed on those streams.

Some people are never satisfied...geez

Do you understand the skills it takes to cup your hands....this is an inclusive game.....everyones a winner

Yeah, your right people are never satisfied. Like some people want firefighters and stuff like that in the game, even make there avatars look as such! Geez! ;)

Hey wait! 00

After hearing your use case, you should have screamers in your loot boxes, screamers in your air drops, and screamers randomly crafted out of your backpack lol. 12 forges is overkill. Granted you don't have forge mods or perks like I do, I get by fine with 2 forges, but pre a18 I'd never need more than 3 or 4. You can get auto turrets to destroy the screamers, and I've been known to have off site forging facilities. Like you might as well put one in your mine and crank it up when you leave, its so far away the chunk wont load and zeds will never attack it. You come back to mine, you grab your 4000 forged iron on the way out and restock the forge.

Glad to see you guys worked out that (chunk not loading and therefore no work being done) problem.

I second using a zombie version of the rabbit. Too bad none of the traders are named....Tim.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL of course. The idea is something small and terrifying. Could be a mudcrab from half life. I don't know. Cat zombies? But as a cat lover I can't go there lol. I guess I love dogs too but resident evil made them evil enough I don't mind killing zombie dogs. Something small and creepy. Maybe a torso that grew some spider legs or something like the thing. Doesn't have to be kid, but there really I see no problem with something strain ish. We want them popping out of the painting holes and heat ducts.

I could see that in a late stage game. That would put a new fear in the game.

Maybe it would fool some people. I don't know.

This is on par with charging $199 for some product because it is believed that people won't see this as two hundred dollars. Seen this my whole life and cannot believe that enough people are still fooled by this that they continue this nonsense everywhere you go.

I hate that trick and it does not work on me since I round up and when I tell someone what it costs, they get the rounded up version.

It's a reliable, shady trick that fools the human mind. (Boy are we gullible.) It's like the, "Buy one for the price of two and get a second one FREE!" deal. That happened where I lived, and many people fell for it.

While it's frowned upon by customers, no one else (other than customers) care, so as long as money exists, so will that tactic. :/

First I'll preface this with I know bandits are not on this build...but when they come.

I think it would be great if they spawned around your heat map and started to sabotage your base and defenses. Starting at lower levels with something like chopping a lane through your spikes escalating to things like (but not restricted to) planting C4, taking out turrets with rocket launchers and the like.

I think it would make building fun.

It's a reliable, shady trick that fools the human mind. (Boy are we gullible.) It's like the, "Buy one for the price of two and get a second one FREE!" deal. That happened where I lived, and many people fell for it.

While it's frowned upon by customers, no one else (other than customers) care, so as long as money exists, so will that tactic. :/

There needs to be a shift. People need to start seeing things for what they really are. Every time I see x.99, it's telling me that the company/person presenting their product for purchase assumes that I am a dumb-ass while at the same time exposing their character as one that resorts to such lowly, despicable practices. Basically, they are willing to do every little thing to squeeze out every penny they can. It should be frowned upon.

It's just dumb. I still can't believe anybody really falls for it. It's like if someone played the same prank on you over an over again. Eventually you would stop trying to open that can of peanut brittle. No, don't do it... it's a snake.... but... maybe not this one time.

Unless you can think of a plan, have the support, the funding, a backing, and had most of the populous wanting to change the world for the greater good, I don't see any kind of shift happening. (I'm not a pessimist, but a realist.) You would basically have an equal chance of convincing everyone that paper money is useless.

Most of us are forced into the system, or too ignorant to recognize it. Glad to see you're part of the former.

Besides, for every person that complains about these business practices, all of them hand their wallet over anyway.

Besides, we've got much bigger things to be concerned about. (What you're suggesting is trimming the leaves, not uprooting the plant.) Or not. Some of us just like to pretend that all is fine in Whoville. :p

And at the end of the day, this sort of discussion is not appropriate for the forums.

There needs to be a shift. People need to start seeing things for what they really are. Every time I see x.99, it's telling me that the company/person presenting their product for purchase assumes that I am a dumb-ass while at the same time exposing their character as one that resorts to such lowly, despicable practices. Basically, they are willing to do every little thing to squeeze out every penny they can. It should be frowned upon.

It's just dumb. I still can't believe anybody really falls for it. It's like if someone played the same prank on you over an over again. Eventually you would stop trying to open that can of peanut brittle. No, don't do it... it's a snake.... but... maybe not this one time.

Here my text just because im lazy:

Simple: you know of it, that is why it loses its effect on you (not 100% but a lot compared to the unaware)

there are so SO many other marketing tricks that DO work on you and me, because we don't know its a trick.

From most expensive food beeing on shoulderheight (only works if you have enough money to not seek out the cheapest food) to where wares are placed (most bought items are the furthest away from the counter so you have to walk through the entire mall to maybe pick up extra stuff or sweets on the counter so that kids that are staying in line for too long start nagging their parents)... there is SO MUCH stuff that unconciously gets you... because we are subconcious beeings. most of our thinking goes on beyond the veil. Our mind is just really REALLY good at making nicely sounding excuses.

This is biological/psychological, not something you can be too smart to overcome. You only think it doesnt work because you conciously see what is happening. If you were never told that, this would work on you too (be aware that this doesnt mean people think its only 100$ but it just doesnt seem as much when considering buying it, which is the most important step in this process)

off topic

So yeah... this definatly DOES work. Punishment ALWAYS hits you harder than reward, even if it is the same outcome.

If you for example have a 10% chance of winning 50$ and you don't win it you say "eh it was a low chance anyways" but if everyone gets 50$ and later there is a 90% chance for it to be taken away, it hurts much more.

This explains it a bit better.

Trust me... you aren't better... just better educated...

Tl;Dr:

it does work. there are SO MANY tricks you dont know that still work on you... the only reason it doesnt is that you know of it. Marketing is psychology for narcicists. Manipulating you to buy certain things. And it works, because there is nothing but knowledge that helps to prevent it!

I vote for a Bear Cub. About the size of the pig, so hard to see in the grass, can hide behind counters.

Secret Weapon: calling in Momma Bear.

Did I miss it? Did any of the Testers reply with how the Grenade/Molotov throwing was working in A18?

Wasn't intended as a poke at a sore spot; honestly curious how it is. If it's still a wip, totally ok. Just curious.

How's the Grenade/Molotov throwing in A18? Can you reliably toss them through a one block opening? How about throwing them straight down if you're standing right at the edge of a wall?

Edit: I mean standing on top of a wall, almost about to fall off it.

There have been a variety of changes to thrown items (colliders, sizes, velocities, drag, timing, fix for throwing downward).

I can 100% guarentee you i have no option to drop nothing on death in my sp alpha 17 world.

- - - Updated - - -

Augers raise heat when, only only when, you press the button. If you hold it down all the time, no screamers. It's when people tap it they get screamers. This was told to me. So I hold the button and never get screamers.

I hold the button using auger/chainsaw and I always get screamers and frequently.

Did any of the Testers reply with how the Grenade/Molotov throwing was working in A18?

Wasn't intended as a poke at a sore spot; honestly curious how it is. If it's still a wip, totally ok. Just curious.

poking back at your sore spot... i just survived the day 21/22 blood moon and i used the stack of 16 i got from doing a quest.

all i will tell you is... they worked perfect for me but just wasnt enough of them... yes i used them on group so not wasted on 1 zombie.... and i didnt blow myself up. :)

Archived