Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yea, its a game. There are also puking zombie cops and players running around with 30 tons of bricks on their back.

Every shape of flagstone blocks having different health and cost would be a nightmare and would probably make 90 percent of shapes unusable. Why would I want to take up the same amount of space with a low health block. In most cases id default to highest health.

Yes it was a balancing nightmare when blocks of the same material had various costs and health values.

Any news or updates if we will get XP from traps? Was thinking it could work like the shared XP you get from team mates, so every trap within the certain distance when they kill a zombie everyone gets shared XP?

We are planning for turrets to give xp but not floor traps nor spikes.

Honestly, the table saw is cool, but it feels pretty useless as a workstation right now, imagine in a18. Nice for creative though. I would love to see some meaningful crafting in it (traps?, mods?... wooden BLUEPRINTS? big modular walls? Pinocchio?).

Part of me likes the idea of progressing from basic shapes to advanced shapes, whether it's through a station, books, perks, or something else. The other part of me is irritated when I can't quite build what I want without a table saw, even though the shapes I want seem 'basic'. Probably nobody will agree on exactly which shapes should count as 'basic' versus 'advanced'.

A flagstone block and a flagstone post have the same resource cost and HP despite one being significantly smaller than the other?

It's been that way for a long time. Since Gazz is on record as not interested, I had plans to make a mod that makes cost and HP proportional to each shape's size. It would cut down on some exploiting, like making a pillar out of 4 quarter-blocks instead of 1 full block to get 4x the HP while presenting the same profile to zombie hands and puke. It was going to be significantly easier now that we have xpath syntax... but unfortunately this shape selector will put a damper on it.

For a large number of blocks there are 24 rotations. How would you key bind all all of those?

If a block had full 45 degree rotations available, this would double to 48 possible rotations.

There are still only 6 rotation DIRECTIONS. (3 axis and both directions in every axis)

rotate clockwise

rotate counter clockwise

rotate forward

rotate backward

roll left

roll right

I could bind my num pad to do all complicated rotations for example. Or I could bind ALT+ mouse wheel to rotate froward, backward. And since i have wheel tilt, i could also do rol left and right.

EDIT:

[Key 1] rotate +X

[Key 2] rotate -X

[Key 3] rotate +Y

[Key 4] rotate -Y

[Key 5] rotate +Z

[Key 6] rotate -Z

This would also handle 45° rotations.

Exactly!

CTRL is sneak I think, unless thats just me.

How about ALT?

It is not needed for gameplay.

Hold L Alt to rotate:

clockwise = left click (does the same as without pressing ALT)

counterclockwise = right click

forward = mouse wheel forward (rotate a block the same direction as the wheel)

backward = mouse wheel backward

Every mouse has at least 2 buttons and a wheel and covering both directions in 2 axis makes it already tons faster.

How about ALT.

Hold L Alt to rotate:

Every mouse has at least 2 buttons and a wheel and covering both directions in 2 axis makes it already tons faster.

Good thing I asked... then everyone starts posting ideas for it.

This is all awesome, but I would still settle for a simple reverse.

Hey @madmole

couple of questions about the shape menu:

• do all materials have the same shapes? for example the shapes you can make with wood are the same that you can make with concrete? or some restrictions apply?
  • you place down a rebar ramp, you pick it up, can you now change it's shape and plae it again? even if you placed it already?

Yes it was a balancing nightmare when blocks of the same material had various costs and health values.

I would have thought that would have been one of the easiest thing to balance, volumetric maths is hardly a new field.

No offence meant but at this point I find myself no longer surprised at what you're prepared to simplify and smooth over under the guise of balancing.

Yea, its a game. There are also puking zombie cops and players running around with 30 tons of bricks on their back.

Every shape of flagstone blocks having different health and cost would be a nightmare and would probably make 90 percent of shapes unusable. Why would I want to take up the same amount of space with a low health block. In most cases id default to highest health.

Every shape of block different than one metre square would have a health and resource cost which is a direct percentage of the base block, you could automate that on a spreadsheet.

It would make more sense to carry the resources required to make the block to the building site and construct it there. Humanity gave up on dragging huge blocks of stone around to build something shortly after the pyramids were finished, it was too much effort apparently.

Simplification is good to an extent but if it were the "be all and end all" of game design then Shogun:Total War would have been a copy of xiangqi with pretty animations.

I would have thought that would have been one of the easiest thing to balance, volumetric maths is hardly a new field.

No offence meant but at this point I find myself no longer surprised at what you're prepared to simplify and smooth over under the guise of balancing.

I'm not sure what your surprised about to be honest. Block health and recourse cost has been this way for at least a few alphas, correct? If it wasn't something you noticed until now I'd say its a non issue in the "simplifying the game" conspiracy theory.

No offence of course ;)

How about ALT?

Hold L Alt to rotate:

Alt is third person.

Hey @madmole

couple of questions about the shape menu:

• do all materials have the same shapes? for example the shapes you can make with wood are the same that you can make with concrete? or some restrictions apply?
  • you place down a rebar ramp, you pick it up, can you now change it's shape and plae it again? even if you placed it already?

It becomes a generic rebar frame when you pick it up, or returns to the stack of rebar frames on your belt.

Not all materials have the same shapes for now. It always felt stupid making stairs and railings from a frame then upgrading them, so flagstone/brick might have more stuff than wood/rebar.

i think this was brought up when quests were first being discussed. It would be great if there were quests that , if successful would lower your game stage.

Why in Navezgane would you want to lower your game stage?

Its klunky design having hit point values and recipes all over the place. It leads to harvest bonuses failing, edge case exploits and another of 1000's of examples where realism fails yet again.

Overdesign is the most common designer trap, don't think you are intelligent when you start overdesigning, the opposite is in fact, the truth.

I'm not sure what your surprised about to be honest. Block health and recourse cost has been this way for at least a few alphas, correct? If it wasn't something you noticed until now I'd say its a non issue in the "simplifying the game" conspiracy theory.

No offence of course ;)

The most simple way is almost always the most elegant solution. Dumbing down is often mistaken for improvement.

At this point I'm kind of cringing looking at the wood framed block icons and just want to build with solid wood instead, because building with cobblestone is better because you don't have to upgrade everything and you can see what the hell your building. The only drawback is if you make a mistake.

Archived