Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Why in Navezgane would you want to lower your game stage?

Personally for me, it would reward that bird part of my brain that likes to be rewarded. But, it also does feel nice to see a quest have an actual effect other than just being for the loot. Even if lowering game stage results in inferior loot, I'd find that an even compromise. Perhaps, it could be an effect after during multiple kill zombies quest? Where the gamestage is temporarily lowered for a day or two, to allow a player some breathing room.

Then allow contextual upgrade material on a hammer so you can upgrade wood straight to reinforced concrete by setting the material to concrete. No more clunky upgrading and wasting tons of materials to reach the best material. No more accidentally upgrading a block to steel and wasting an hour tearing it out. No more breaking a 10000 hit point block only to see one with 5000 take its place.

The A17 upgrade path where you somehow infuse the same block with wood, scrap iron, concrete mix, rebar and steel in order is pretty weird, and so is the downgrade path. However, you would lose something under this proposal, namely the sense of investing a lot of labor and resources into your walls, and them being that much better because they’ve been improved multiple times. Then again, the existing ‘shortcuts’ like going directly from frames to reinforced concrete already circumvent this.

folks if you want easier horde nights just turn off horde nights or lower the in game difficulty to its lowest setting. I mean if people want to build large complex buildings and other just stuff go into creative or if you don't want creative then turn off horde night and put the game at its easiest setting and I can't remember if this is in the settings or not but lower zombie block damage to its lowest setting also.

folks if you want easier horde nights just turn off horde nights or lower the in game difficulty to its lowest setting. I mean if people want to build large complex buildings and other just stuff go into creative or if you don't want creative then turn off horde night and put the game at its easiest setting and I can't remember if this is in the settings or not but lower zombie block damage to its lowest setting also.

They will never listen. They want to play on at least default settings AND still be able to do anything they want creatively without fear of zombies. If they play on less than default it shrinks their e-peen, so they would rather come here and whine about how hard it is, which for some reason doesn't affect their e-peen.

Madmole: Loving the new shapes menu. My comments as well as others from YouTube are loving the visual changes to the desert which seem to me more than just textures and splat maps. Will other biomes be getting a make over like this? Are there other visual changes from the desert that you've not mentioned? The lighting/pallet looks different.

Is there a auto run button in alpha 18? i have been asking since alpha 10 and im just wondering if one of the people making the game has the skills to implement such a complicated but elite option to the game.

im not asking for myself my pinky finger is wondering as he is developing arthritis from holding down the key on these long runs back to base after questing, looting and destroying zombies!

Is there a auto run button in alpha 18? i have been asking since alpha 10 and im just wondering if one of the people making the game has the skills to implement such a complicated but elite option to the game.

im not asking for myself my pinky finger is wondering as he is developing arthritis from holding down the key on these long runs back to base after questing, looting and destroying zombies!

I made my Q key my run key. When I am holding W down with middle finger for walking I just need to drop my ring finger on Q to run. I found it way easier and as Q was just for drop which I never used so it didn't really affect my game.

I made my Q key my run key. When I am holding W down with middle finger for walking I just need to drop my ring finger on Q to run. I found it way easier and as Q was just for drop which I never used so it didn't really affect my game.

Same ^

The AI would target your half blocks and it would create a weird exploit.

A half block would take half(ish) the resources of a full block, the same way a single-thick wall takes half the resources of a double-thick wall. So I don’t see what the “weird exploit” would be if zombies prefer to attack the latter, all else being equal. :)

What we have now looks like an exploit. You can build a column of single full blocks or double half blocks or quadruple quarter blocks, and they’ll look identical but have 1x, 2x, or 4x the HP. And zombies may avoid certain walls in a POI simply because there are decorative trim blocks on one side, which no human would give a second thought to, but they have the same HP as full wood blocks.

I get that addressing this wouldn’t be easy, but I don’t get how it would be worse in terms of exploits.

https://www.macrocreator.com/

I have \ bound to press w and shift down but not up. Pressing those keys again will register the up and stop the button press. Have to use this with a few games to counter missing features like auto run. A work around for sure for something that really should be in but it works all the same if the devs never implement auto run at all.

Better yet, it works as auto walk as well, just hit the shift key.

Alt is third person.

Holy crap, this game has a third person. LOL, never noticed that. At least not when on foot.

If you lower the game stage you lower the quality of loot. Not something most people would want. Turn down the difficulty if you don't like the higher game stages.

I think the idea is to have an impact on the game world. Something like go here and clear out a zed nest = less overall zeds for some amount of time. Interesting idea IMHO but not sure if it is a good idea :D

I don't really like to upgrade them and the extra line of defense mystery hit points to destroying a block isn't that great of a design. I'd prefer a block show various models at hitpoint thresholds rather than you kill a 5k hitpoint block only for another 3k hit point block to appear.

It also opens up some pretty powerful exploits. Any block takes time to repair as you only repair x hp per unit time. With upgrades that is not true though. You can build a steel block, wait for the zeds to break it down to crete and then instantly add another 10K hp to the block by upgrading it back up to steel. Better if it just was steel with whatever total hp it would have had with breaking.

Frames aren't needed, a grace period of changing your structure is. Under a land claim we could be pretty generous as to what that is.

I would respectfully disagree here. Not sure if scaffolding would be able to handle the same task but I use hundreds of frames for many of the reasons that ripclaw already pointed out. I only needed to mistake my 300 block bunker floor plan by one block one time and had to destroy a dozen crete blocks before ensuring ALL my major builds are totally planned with frames first. They are also really handy for temporary structural integrity if I have to move a main support. I would hate to have to be on a timer to replace those or have to beat the temporary structures out to remove them. They have a plethora of uses outside building as well.

Not sure what the gain would be for removing them though. If viability is the issue then are we not talking about using a sledge hammer to hit a nail? Fix the display problem with the frames rather than removing them.

I showed my friend a pic of the decapitated bear in the A18 stream yesterday. Her reaction was, "Oh no! They have giant moles in A18?!"... Yes there's a striking resemblence:rofl:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28754[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28755[/ATTACH]

Giant Madmole confirmed for A18.

LOL. We need one of those, just for those forum rats that would know where it came from. :D

Big boss zed for the shotgun messiah factory :D Or water works, makes more sense there as the 'treasure' room is under ground.

A half block would take half(ish) the resources of a full block, the same way a single-thick wall takes half the resources of a double-thick wall. So I don’t see what the “weird exploit” would be if zombies prefer to attack the latter, all else being equal. :)

What we have now looks like an exploit. You can build a column of single full blocks or double half blocks or quadruple quarter blocks, and they’ll look identical but have 1x, 2x, or 4x the HP. And zombies may avoid certain walls in a POI simply because there are decorative trim blocks on one side, which no human would give a second thought to, but they have the same HP as full wood blocks.

I get that addressing this wouldn’t be easy, but I don’t get how it would be worse in terms of exploits.

How about giving each block a static variable for pathing cost, possibly modified by the percentage of HP lost, instead of trying to mangle block HP and the pathing system together?

After watching the recent stream, i noticed that when examining an item in their inventory the key for scrapping is <delete> instead of <S>

I know this has been discussed many times about accidentally scrapping something, problem solved!

The M60 is awesome and looks like a complete feature already! I think the ADS for that gun is better than any of the automatics hands down! I was afraid the reload would be horrible being chain fed, but the animation and time looked great.

I also enjoyed the lock pick reveal, i do have a few questions about it. Once you initiate the lock pick, can you move at all or do you have to stay perfectly still?

Archived