Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Use the numpad for example, if you could bind 2 for roll down, 8 to roll up, 4 to rotate left, 6 to rotate right, etc, i think that's what he's referring to. I think that would be a perfect setup.

What about how Empyrion does it? 2 keys x 3 axis for fwd and back? So 6 keys in total.

You could even get away with 4 keys, 2 for selecting the axis and 2 for rotation.

What's causing AI Survivors to be pushed back so much? First Alpha 17, now not in Alpha 18.

IT;s much harder to path them. No one cares if a Bandit gits stuck in a cave but everybody would hate it if there follower or survivor did. NPC's like bandits would be not as hard as they could be made area specific while a survivor may have to travel with you, crossing biomes and going though the same areas you would. Including player placed structures.

Pressure plates? Motion sensors? [Powered traps] do use a lot more power when engaging zeds if you have their controls set up properly.

Whether or not just turning on all the traps and letting them run all night is "proper," my expectation would still be that if a player does do that, the load on the system would depend on how many entities it was damaging at the moment. Then there'd be an increasing danger of overloading the system as the zombies get tougher and engage your traps longer and more often.

I'd compare the current system to weather survival in Alpha 16 and earlier, where there was only one value for insulation. No matter what value was used, it wasn't going to work right for both hot and cold conditions, so they split it off into heat protection and cold protection.

However, I'll concede that there are reasons for other approaches. The power draw could be cranked up to be high at all times, which would incentivize players to build more sophisticated systems with sensors.

For a large number of blocks there are 24 rotations. How would you key bind all all of those?

If a block had full 45 degree rotations available, this would double to 48 possible rotations.

[Key 1] rotate +X

[Key 2] rotate -X

[Key 3] rotate +Y

[Key 4] rotate -Y

[Key 5] rotate +Z

[Key 6] rotate -Z

This would also handle 45° rotations.

Use the numpad for example, if you could bind 2 for roll down, 8 to roll up, 4 to rotate left, 6 to rotate right, etc, i think that's what he's referring to. I think that would be a perfect setup.

The better option is to use the insert-delete-home-end-page_up/down buttons.

More keyboards have them and then you have all six in the same place for most keyboards.

But being able to rebind them would help alot.

OK. I suppose any of these rotation shortcuts would be nice.

I don't normally take my right hand off the mouse in this game... so all I care about is reversing the direction. If that goes in, I'm good.

If they can take it a step further, I guess that's good too, but not going to be picky. Beggars can't be choosers or something like that.

The better option is to use the insert-delete-home-end-page_up/down buttons.

More keyboards have them and then you have all six in the same place for most keyboards.

But being able to rebind them would help alot.

or holding a key down and moving mouse to rotate the block would be fastest. mouse scroll to do flips or other rotates. cant recall what other game had it but it was way easier than a pop menu.

About the rotation and key bindings...

It would already be great if shift-LMB iterated the orientations list backwards. I think there's no need to go Blender and bind X, Y and Z to choose rotation axis...es? Axes? Whatever. Just ctrl-LMB to iterate through X, Y, Z would do the trick.

That way, instead of clicking 23 times for your perfect orientation, missing it by one frustrating overclick, starting over and clicking LMB 23 times more (and again missing it by one), even in second-to-worst case scenario you would click ctrl-LMB twice to get your correct axis, LMB 4 times to miss your angle by one, and shift LMB to get it back to where it was.

So... 71 clicks reduced to just 7, with ctrl and shift. How would this sound? I think we might see a drastic drop in rage quit statistics.

Game is still great, but it could be better, is the argument imo. But all of that is old news; a18 sounds like it's back to being great.

...and yes, I'll accept the burden and responsibility of early access to it so I can Spread the Word. I'll get my bike out and go door to door in a white shirt and tie. =)

Wait for me! I will go with you =)

However, I'll concede that there are reasons for other approaches. The power draw could be cranked up to be high at all times, which would incentivize players to build more sophisticated systems with sensors.

Sensors have a reputation for causing lags in the game. Personally I only use the trip wire and that doesn't cause any problems.

If you generally expect high load on the system it is better to split the load. Just use more generator banks.

[Key 1] rotate +X

[Key 2] rotate -X

[Key 3] rotate +Y

[Key 4] rotate -Y

[Key 5] rotate +Z

[Key 6] rotate -Z

This would also handle 45° rotations.

This sounds good but are you using the top number keys or the numbers pad?

If your using the numbers pad on the right side of of a Qwerty keyboard, then maybe doing this might be better.

4 = x Left

6 = x Right

8 = Y Up

2 = Y Down

For Z you could be using 1 with 7

or 1 with the 3

or even 1 and the 9 key on the numbers pad.

It just seems more natural to do it that way rather than to have to remember a string of numbers.

What's causing AI Survivors to be pushed back so much? First Alpha 17, now not in Alpha 18.

Have you seen how amazing performance is atm?

Between A15 and A17 one of my friends completely lost ability to play the game due to zero optimization of any kind.

Given, he still has a very low end PC, but with everything on minimum he managed before, now its just impossible for him and its not like I can't feel bad performance at times on my 980ti.

Game atm is such a resource hog that its pretty much impossible to add anything that isn't a zombie or plain animal.

This sounds good but are you using the top number keys or the numbers pad?

If your using the numbers pad on the right side of of a Qwerty keyboard, then maybe doing this might be better.

4 = x Left

6 = x Right

8 = Y Up

2 = Y Down

For Z you could be using 1 with 7

or 1 with the 3

or even 1 and the 9 key on the numbers pad.

It just seems more natural to do it that way rather than to have to remember a string of numbers.

Can someone explain to me what the "z" rotation would do? It's a 2d representation of a 3d block. You can rotate left-right, right-left, top-bottom, bottom-top. That's it isn't it?

Z rotation in the case you described would be rotating vertically from left to right and right to left as opposed to rotating vertically front to back and back to front. It’s not necessary as you can get to any position with just the horizontal and one vertical but it would get you to the position you want faster at times.

That or it punches you through to the Upside Down.... (sorry, season three)

so with alpha 18 coming out will the minimum requirements for pcs to run this game be higher than what was needed for alpha 17? like what kind of min specs are we looking at for maybe 30fps?

I'm not worried for myself just the humans who have low end pcs who will be complaining about the game not running good. personally I'm fine with 30 fps since that what my old pc was capable of with this game and feel anyone with a low end pc shouldn't complain if a game gets 30 fps otherwise they should upgrade their pc if they want better fps.

We might be able to only show blood on damaged spikes.

Praise Jesus! Its SO much more immersive and realistic to be able to guess damage seeing blood on spikes instead of them always all being bloody. If I recall the unbloodied model was still even in a17. Who makes something new and then mucks it up?

(Well, other than Orc cosplayers...)

Y'all are still using game consoles?! That is like sooo archaic. ;)

As a Cro-Magnon I am with them.

Btw I used Xbox One and Logitec F710 controllers and I am the worst a human being can be, at aiming. I really miss playing from the coach ,and admire these guys for that.

Archived