Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Oh, no. I'm so sorry and I'm crying inside for the amount of effort put into this for nothing. You didnt understand me. And it appears you didn't understand the bug. Just what I thought. Please read this calmly and with no hard feelings.

That yield you just showed is exactly the same as in a17 (It is something very similar indeed) and in 17 works just as good .

The problem is full motherlode/no miner69 vs full mother/full miner69r

I'll repeat it slowly, I dont mean to hurt anyone's feelings:

FULL MOTHERLODE FULL MINER69R: 110 STONE

FULL MOTHERLODE NO MINER69R: MORE THAN 110 stone . BUG!!

The only thing I asked for was that. NOt 6 tests, just 1: FULL motherlode with EVERYTHING ELSE AT 0 POINTS and try the tools.

You didnt. Im not at peace, but I'll drop the subject for sanity if you command it.

EDIT: The Iron buster mod is probably a hint that it might be fixed , though an inconclusive one.

The problem in a17 is WITH MORE BLOCK DAMAGE PERKS YIELDS LESS resources , and WITH NO BLOCK DAMAGE PERKS YIELDS MORE resources.

3 mother lode with no miner: 88

5 mother lode with no miner: 110

5 mother lode and 5 miner: 110

As I said, fixed.

I guess it can be seen that way. The Fun Pimps are no liars. I just believe you (personally) just speak from the heart and from a trusty perspective sometimes and don't look deep enough on some systems due to the ton of work you have in hands. I just want to help and some words get lost in traslation as I'm not native. Sorry that.

No problem, it looked like you were calling us liars. I hope the results I posted prove its working correctly in A18.

3 mother lode with no miner: 88

5 mother lode with no miner: 110

5 mother lode and 5 miner: 110

As I said, fixed.

Yes! That's it. I do know how difficult was to balance the resource yield on this one, though in a17 was almost there. You guys are amazing!

Thank you! - runs away in the distance-

Madmole

Ty ty for the update video. The perks look good, and the RWG is beautiful:tickled_pink:

I have a question about the Brawler perk. It said "Learn martial arts and use your fists to stun, knock down, disarm and ragdoll your opponent.", so if you take tier 1 of the perk, you can punch zombies in the face with your bare hands and stop them from infecting you? Or do you have to have knuckle weapons on? Any plans on the brawler perk being able to stop zombies from giving you a bleeding buff?

Well you could do it like you described now, have the torch grow into an air block over time like crops grow into a new block. I'm talking about item degradation, so a helmet light wears out x% every game hour or whatever.

I'm sure I'll kick myself later as a player but this, along with"fat" reload, sounds like a great way to add a bit more tension.

Some of the best stress moments in games like Alan Wake are when the light source starts running out of battery. A little bit of flicker and then darkness.

I do think that one "balancing" change could be (if possible) to simply make the % chance for food to make you sick increase each day. So it doesn't disappear or change into "rotten food". All that happens is its food poisoning stat changes each day to a higher percentage.

This is a pretty good idea, actually. It might even be easier to make available to modders.

On the subject of food "spoilage" (however that is implemented) - I'm certainly not going to be upset if it isn't in the game, but I've been thinking it over, and I'm getting more on board with it.

The thing is, most people want it to make the game more difficult or "survival-y" but I'm coming at it from the perspective of cooking variety. Right now there's not much reason to cook anything except bacon and eggs at lower levels, or meat stew at higher levels. It would be nice to be motivated to cook other things.

IRL, the major reason, besides taste, is food spoilage. Take pemmican - you look at, and how much goes into preparing it, and ask yourself why the hell anyone would ever make that. Then you realize that pemmican can keep for over a year at room temperature.

So, making things like jams or smoked meats would actually make sense in-game. Starvation mod (I think?) had this, and though they didn't really do it the way I'd like, it was still a neat idea.

One other thing I'd love to see is per-biome food diversity. Like, certain crops would die outside of certain temperatures, so you couldn't e.g. grow yucca in the snow biome. It leads to each biome being "specialized" in recipes.

I'm not expecting vanilla to have much of this (if any of it), but just adding the ability to control some kind of "spoilage" via XML would allow modders to really go nuts with this.

Madmole

Ty ty for the update video. The perks look good, and the RWG is beautiful:tickled_pink:

I have a question about the Brawler perk. It said "Learn martial arts and use your fists to stun, knock down, disarm and ragdoll your opponent.", so if you take tier 1 of the perk, you can punch zombies in the face with your bare hands and stop them from infecting you? Or do you have to have knuckle weapons on? Any plans on the brawler perk being able to stop zombies from giving you a bleeding buff?

Yes the perk gives you the ability not the knuckles. Probably not, that is armor's role.

With Alpha 18 will we see the return of Larger lakes / dare I say it...……..possible island / ocean seed types?

I don't think so, the aim is to get something stable and good looking to you guys, then we can consider options and enhancements.

The game does take place in arizona anyways.

Somewhere, Nevada, and Navesgane, Arizona

I do hope the janky gun reload animations are improved/fixed

Pistol is kinda bad and stilted

Hunting rifle is all outta whack and jumbled up

ak n marksman rifle are... ok. I guess.

shotgun woooorks but I still kinda wish that it had a scripted per shell reload.

Not expecting killing floor 2 we animated all the guns animations at like 300 frames a second so you can see the 50 caliber rifle's barrel wiggle and shake in slow motion when you fire it but I hate every time I reload the pistol in 7dtd.

The game does take place in arizona anyways.

Somewhere, Nevada, and Navesgane, Arizona

I do hope the janky gun reload animations are improved/fixed

Pistol is kinda bad and stilted

Hunting rifle is all outta whack and jumbled up

ak n marksman rifle are... ok. I guess.

shotgun woooorks but I still kinda wish that it had a scripted per shell reload.

Not expecting killing floor 2 we animated all the guns animations at like 300 frames a second so you can see the 50 caliber rifle's barrel wiggle and shake in slow motion when you fire it but I hate every time I reload the pistol in 7dtd.

Yes our new animator is polishing everything up.

I saw the Alpha 18 diary was edited a week ago. I remember looking at it a while back and seeing something along the lines of it being released whether a feature was ready or not, around mid-year (that info is no longer there).

I went through about 100 pages just now and saw a lot of talk about balancing since the edit on the OP. Is it safe to assume that A18 has been delayed?

I saw the Alpha 18 diary was edited a week ago. I remember looking at it a while back and seeing something along the lines of it being released whether a feature was ready or not, around mid-year (that info is no longer there).

I went through about 100 pages just now and saw a lot of talk about balancing since the edit on the OP. Is it safe to assume that A18 has been delayed?

Yes. Apparently July isn't off the table yet, though.

Will the new inteligence turrets be stackable in the inventory? I mean, not a big stack size so you can build a panic room in the open without sacrificing iinventory slots, but I think a stack of 2 or 3 per slot would make sense.

They might look like mountains in the distance, but are actually what I would call hills even in Skyrim. The scale of an actual mountain is gigantic and a game engine cannot view it properly because of view distance and world size limitations. You can see the Rocky mountains about 100 miles away. Our engine is limited to say 256 meters of total height, 768 feet, where Pikes peak is about 14,000 feet.

Ah no worries, they are mountains for us Dutch people ^-^ The highest mountain in our country being 200-300 m I believe.

yeah, this kinda strange too, but there's no suitable alternative for now, I think.

I've reserved, slot for vehicles comes to mind. One for the torch would be cool as well, perhaps with keys bound to them. The torch could be a toggle between torch and currently selected hotbar item

This is a pretty good idea, actually. It might even be easier to make available to modders.

On the subject of food "spoilage" (however that is implemented) - I'm certainly not going to be upset if it isn't in the game, but I've been thinking it over, and I'm getting more on board with it.

The thing is, most people want it to make the game more difficult or "survival-y" but I'm coming at it from the perspective of cooking variety. Right now there's not much reason to cook anything except bacon and eggs at lower levels, or meat stew at higher levels. It would be nice to be motivated to cook other things.

IRL, the major reason, besides taste, is food spoilage. Take pemmican - you look at, and how much goes into preparing it, and ask yourself why the hell anyone would ever make that. Then you realize that pemmican can keep for over a year at room temperature.

So, making things like jams or smoked meats would actually make sense in-game. Starvation mod (I think?) had this, and though they didn't really do it the way I'd like, it was still a neat idea.

One other thing I'd love to see is per-biome food diversity. Like, certain crops would die outside of certain temperatures, so you couldn't e.g. grow yucca in the snow biome. It leads to each biome being "specialized" in recipes.

I'm not expecting vanilla to have much of this (if any of it), but just adding the ability to control some kind of "spoilage" via XML would allow modders to really go nuts with this.

Imho, the best incentive to increase diversity within cooking would be to introduce nutrients to the game, you would then have to eat(and as a result cook) more diverse to manage the levels.

Say they introduce a nutrient system based around Fat, Carbs and Protein, and judging from past comments this is something Madmole knows a lot about, then balancing it around different courses/food types so that you can maintain it all while having a buff system that controls the outcome. You would always have a "diet" buff active, if you manage to eat diverse and normally you would have a "Well Balanced" buff which could give no negatives but some positives in regards to stamina use. Then you have diversity which could mean you get the buff morphed into more negatives or positives depending on diet.

Could even add Vitamins to the mix which could be used to manipulate to buff to some extent...or even Calories so that you must manage the amount you eat and not just eat whatever until the values are filled.

Sounds more and more like a mini game but designed, executed and balanced correctly I think it could work nicely.

<snipped for space>

Great idea for a mod but a little too micro-management for vanilla. There's a skyrim mod that does something very similar and instead of adding depth to the gameplay it just gets in the way and ends up really annoying. Who wants to try and stop their character getting rickets, scurvy, and beriberi on a daily basis?

I'm normally all for attention to detail but this is taking things a bit far even for me.

Imho, the best incentive to increase diversity within cooking would be to introduce nutrients to the game, you would then have to eat(and as a result cook) more diverse to manage the levels.

Say they introduce a nutrient system based around Fat, Carbs and Protein, and judging from past comments this is something Madmole knows a lot about, then balancing it around different courses/food types so that you can maintain it all while having a buff system that controls the outcome. You would always have a "diet" buff active, if you manage to eat diverse and normally you would have a "Well Balanced" buff which could give no negatives but some positives in regards to stamina use. Then you have diversity which could mean you get the buff morphed into more negatives or positives depending on diet.

Could even add Vitamins to the mix which could be used to manipulate to buff to some extent...or even Calories so that you must manage the amount you eat and not just eat whatever until the values are filled.

Sounds more and more like a mini game but designed, executed and balanced correctly I think it could work nicely.

Great idea for a mod but a little too micro-management for vanilla. There's a skyrim mod that does something very similar and instead of adding depth to the gameplay it just gets in the way and ends up really annoying. Who wants to try and stop their character getting rickets, scurvy, and beriberi on a daily basis?

I'm normally all for attention to detail but this is taking things a bit far even for me.

I agree, it sounds like a micromanaging nightmare but it doesn't have to be like that - depends on the implementation. If the time period and food variety is lenient enough and the player doesn't have to monitor nutrients but just have to eat 2-3 different recipes within say a week, with better recipes eliminating that need (since they should contain a variety of nutrients themselves), they would intuitively learn to do it without having to monitor anything at all.

<snipped for space>

If there's no need to monitor it what's the point in adding it?

You'll end up with a lot of people raging that their character cannot get to full health despite eating a hundred bowls of noodles*. Never underestimate the stupidity of the average player.

*Based on the true story of a student who worked out he could survive on nothing but noodles and ended up with scurvy.

If there's no need to monitor it what's the point in adding it?

You'll end up with a lot of people raging that their character cannot get to full health despite eating a hundred bowls of noodles*. Never underestimate the stupidity of the average player.

*Based on the true story of a student who worked out he could survive on nothing but noodles and ended up with scurvy.

The point isn't for the player to have to monitor stuff, but giving value to higher level recipes that include a wider variety of materials and consequently the player doing the activities needed to procure them, having to find different seeds etc. Full health should be feasible anyway - what one would get by doing this is a well-fed buff (or a slight debuff when malnourished) which would add some QOL.

Archived