Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

With all this talk of food spoilage, I hope it’s for mods and not vanilla. Two reasons that I quit playing Ark was food spoilage and the ridiculous procedure for taming dinos. It would totally ruin vanilla for me but anything goes with mods.

People like the aesthetic of scripted shell by shell loading rather than the objectively more effective and quicker single animation. And you wouldn't necessarily reload from empty every single time.

Not to mention a scripted reload usually can be stopped without loading every single shell in games that got it.

What I meant was you wouldn't like it in the current framework that we need to change so that you can abort a reload and be allowed to change weapons.

Ah nice! Hehe yeah they must have felt right at home there..

Any chance you know where your family came from in the Netherlands?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't listen to geologists, man.. they be crazy!

Holland is all I know. I'm over half Dutch btw. The rest is Choctaw indian, and Irish AFAIK.

Speaking of perks..:

Cooking perk bonus ideas:

1-you can cook x new item and gives you a 1% chance to cook a specially tasty meal that gives more food/water per unit cooked [only 1 lucky item]

2- Another idea: Masterful chef :You have a tiny chance of getting double cooked items for the cost of 1.

Watcha think?

1, Then it can't stack with normal grub.

2, Not really doable with current framework.

We can probably cook faster per rank easily enough. We need to put some thought into it and talk to the engineers.

Does it auto-aim and fire when you're holding it like it does when it's placed, or do you aim and fire manually when it's in your hands?

No we're not adding bot code to the game lol. It you have to aim when holding it.

That system on its own would be good to have around. If not for this, then for a plethora of other possibilities.

In this case though -- while it would be awesome to see in the typical cases so not saying anything negative about it in that regard -- it's still not a fool-proof idea because of the many possible structures without paths to the chests. I don't know if you are aiming for a guaranteed issue to happen if someone has stockpiled food, or not.

Just zeds smashing chests would be easy and cause some issues for players on occasion IMO. Might need to craft a fridge to keep the smell tight then. I'm sure every noob who placed a chest at ground or eye level found this out the hard way.

I'm a bit confused by your question so I'll just blanket statement the system as best as I can.

There are a lot of book sets that unlock unique perks that are designed to augment each play style or weapon archtype. Collecting all 7 unlocks a completion bonus perk that is pretty kickass or borderline OP.

There are schematics for all the things that the skill perks unlock (Not the books). For example, the first rank of of boomstick allows you to craft a double barrel shotgun, but you can also find a double barrel shotgun schematic, which teaches you permanently how to craft a double barrel shotgun. However, that schematic does NOT grant you any of the abilities the first rank of shotgun messiah, such as do more damage.

So the first rank of boomstick does this:

Maybe your aim isn't so good or you just like doing a lot of damage up close and personal. Either way a hobo with a shotgun is not to be messed with. Craft faulty quality Shotguns, deal 10% more damage, 10% faster fire rate, and 10% faster reload. Increases chance to dismember by 5%.

The schematic does this: Craft faulty quality Shotguns.

So a schematic will let you do the basic crafting is all, the perk gives you the full nine yards. Its more useful for forge, or bandages if you don't want to be a doctor but want to craft bandages, then find the schematic. If you interested in all the benefits, buy the perk. The schematics let you focus on your build and give you entry level access to some stuff outside of your specialty.

So, there are schematics for tier one perk ranks, but what about ranks 2,3,4,5?

You guys are not on the ball I figured it would be posted by now:

Nice!

All that's left are tier 3 shotgun and pistol.

For the shotty there are variants that use magazines or are auto

Desert eagle for pistol, they come in 44. Mag so no new ammo type.

1, Then it can't stack with normal grub.

2, Not really doable with current framework.

We can probably cook faster per rank easily enough. We need to put some thought into it and talk to the engineers.

1- I see.That means tons of balancing and double de amount of food items. As you said, not great .

2- I was avoiding the crafting faster stuff because while it is an obvious one and easily doable, that alone doesn' t really add a cool bonus for which a player would want to sell his soul for, like the daring adventure one... and using less items per recipe is also OP... unless it is not huge and just in level 5 Master Chef...

Actually, mixing a "crafting faster" bonus with a level 5 Master Chef bonus for "cheaper recipes" would be awesome and not very OP.

A little explanation:

Levels 1 to 4: faster crafting bonus.

Level 5: 1 less something (meat? ) for the recipes that apply.

I'm already impressed with some perks and I praise the one who came up with the idea of listing the books in the menu. You are spoiling us in a good way.

Possible suggestion - POI's that have several possible "end loot points". You may find the end chest on the roof...or in the tunnel system below. Might add a bit of randomness without as much effort on the developer side. If you built some POIs that have several paths and end points with the seed algorithm that calculates where the end loot will be?

I mentioned this in another thread but while I'm making suggestions - I visited Dye-2, an abandoned Cold War military base on the Greenland Ice Sheet a couple years back. It had been abandoned 30 years before. They had been evacuated under the guise of a radiation leak. I spent three days exploring it and taking videos and photos of the entire exterior/interior. I think it would make a great extra large POI for the winter biome area.

I am actually working on a way to develop this for random gen. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?119519-Dynamic-PoI

However this way requires to design PoI with this in mind, current PoIs would need to be redone a bit and I reckon not every can be easily coverted.

You guys are not on the ball I figured it would be posted by now:

The artwork looks fantastic. The gun nut in me is kind of twitching, though.

Scope looks a bit like an EOTech Vudu. And it looks backwards.

vudu_1-720x494.jpg.5072ba28f46f403e680d7979f289b10d.jpg

Also AR stocks are mounted to the recoil tube housing the spring. That one has... the top half of a jack stand mounted as a stock. No tube, no recoil spring. overall it looks good though. Vast majority of people probably wouldn't see any issues.

1- I see.That means tons of balancing and double de amount of food items. As you said, not great .

2- I was avoiding the crafting faster stuff because while it is an obvious one and easily doable, that alone doesn' t really add a cool bonus for which a player would want to sell his soul for, like the daring adventure one... and using less items per recipe is also OP... unless it is not huge and just in level 5 Master Chef...

Actually, mixing a "crafting faster" bonus with a level 5 Master Chef bonus for "cheaper recipes" would be awesome and not very OP.

A little explanation:

Levels 1 to 4: faster crafting bonus.

Level 5: 1 less something (meat? ) for the recipes that apply.

I'm already impressed with some perks and I praise the one who came up with the idea of listing the books in the menu. You are spoiling us in a good way.

It would be a step in the right direction though, and only a small part of what the perk could do, we'll cook up some other things for it, pun intended.

Chris talked of changing it to 512 but I don't think he ever did, it might eat a lot more memory and data to do that.

Would a solution similar to what UTF-16 used help?

They doubled the possible number of bits but left the encoding of the first half the same as UTF-8 so all the old codes still worked but there where way more possible characters.

Have each chunk the same as it is now but add the option for it to have a second part.

This would allow for a max height of 512 blocks but would have less of an impact than changing every chunk to be 512 high.

Because only a very low percentage of chunks would need to be more than 256 blocks high.

It would be a step in the right direction though, and only a small part of what the perk could do, we'll cook up some other things for it, pun intended.

At first, I didn't understewd, but then I knew. Sooner or later the Kraken is going to be cooked and ready. Back in the day we used to have more time to whine between releases. A18 looks like an usual .2 release already.

Have a happy weekend !

Because if regular animals are attracted to you as a result of you having stockpiled meat, it defeats the purpose. It just becomes a meat factory. You kill them and end up with even more meat.

It’s like saying we need to nerf the amount of wood a player can have, so if they have too much, then spawn extra trees around their base.

If it is treated like forges and sources of heat, it would take a certain amount of RAW meat to add up to "smell heat". So, say beyond a stack of 50 RAW meat, players start to attract wildlife.

It would be a great method of creating a growing risk factor for those players who choose to horde a bunch of meat resources. Cooking could either negate or lessen the "smell heat".

Archived