Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

possibly not... {[(possibly is not always 100% nor a signed contract)]}

Look what dumb people make him do...

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is a stupid question...but i'll ask anyways :D !!!!

How many frames is your animator working with for every animation?

Hi Faatal. Interesting stuff.

You said the depth camera converts things to low res, but can/does it also 'see' every voxel? My point is maybe only seeing every second or third voxel (over distance) would halve the work? Maybe even more so than lowering the res (even though higher res would be pointless).

It does not work at the voxel (block) level. An occludee can hide whatever it is attached to. Currently one occludee hides an entire chunk (16x16x16). Chunks can have up to 11 renderers in them, but typically 5-6. I plan on hiding other types of objects, when I get back to it, but needed to get some other things done (timed charge, thrown weapon improvements, explosions and sleeper adjustments).

Hi madmole,

Now that you have played the stealth build... did you notice how weird it is that hitting blocks while stealthed generates no noise whatsoever?

Also, does stepping off of tiny heights (i.e. half block) still generate a noise spike?

Honestly these two issues made me stop playing stealth in A17.

There is a book tab in the skills menu that shows what books you've read. I'll do a video on books next.

Thats good, but it doesn't show what books are out in the wild to discovering, giving new players the incentive for go hunt for them. Otherwise people will just be googling a wiki list.

It does not work at the voxel (block) level. An occludee can hide whatever it is attached to. Currently one occludee hides an entire chunk (16x16x16). Chunks can have up to 11 renderers in them, but typically 5-6. I plan on hiding other types of objects, when I get back to it, but needed to get some other things done (timed charge, thrown weapon improvements, explosions and sleeper adjustments).

Thrown weapon improvements.... can we please get a see through preview arc like so many other games have?

Why would you be able to stack a gun with quality, stats and ammo count?

True, was mostly thinking about the already existing turrets and somehow lumped the new gun in the same category. Nevertheless, I think that having more than one available at a time opens up an exciting new gameplay option - place one gun down and keep one on yourself, best case scenario your damage output doubles. That in itself makes a lot of difference in single player games.

Most geologists classify a mountain as a landform that rises at least 1,000 feet (300 meters) or more above its surrounding area.

As far as I know the English had quite a hand in deciding what a mountain is. This is why the highest point in England is one of the world's smallest mountains.

Honestly it feels like it is doing that already. It feels like I'm burning through more food at a higher level than I was at a lower level, but I think I'm mining a lot so I'm burning more calories, and keeping that 150 food/stamina bar topped off literally does take more calories than filling a 100 calorie bar and I'm still eating primitive food so its like I'm eating all the time. I need to get some better food recipes going so I'm not so hungry.

As your stamina pool increases you are no doubt using up more stamina. That results in getting hungry.

If you were only expending the stamina that you had as a level 1, you would have to eat less.

After watching madmole's vid, I must say, I love the way they resolved animal tracking. With that ability into play, animals could be made faster now, and hunting would be a lot more interesting.

?ll we need is ducks ingame now.

Possible suggestion - POI's that have several possible "end loot points". You may find the end chest on the roof...or in the tunnel system below. Might add a bit of randomness without as much effort on the developer side. If you built some POIs that have several paths and end points with the seed algorithm that calculates where the end loot will be?

I mentioned this in another thread but while I'm making suggestions - I visited Dye-2, an abandoned Cold War military base on the Greenland Ice Sheet a couple years back. It had been abandoned 30 years before. They had been evacuated under the guise of a radiation leak. I spent three days exploring it and taking videos and photos of the entire exterior/interior. I think it would make a great extra large POI for the winter biome area.

In A17 weapon crafting skills are a must-have, in A18 they will be almost useless, because a bought or found gun will usually be a way better than a hand-made.

That is not true but you are welcome to stay away from crafting if you prefer that.

Most geologists classify a mountain as a landform that rises at least 1,000 feet (300 meters) or more above its surrounding area.

Not so fast.

In Britain there is a cutoff at 2000ft, hence that story about the hill that became a mountain:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-welshmen-who-went-up-a-hill-and-came-down-a-mountain-936163.html

(In Switzerland 2000ft is a minor bump)

Not so fast.

In Britain there is a cutoff at 2000ft, hence that story about the hill that became a mountain:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-welshmen-who-went-up-a-hill-and-came-down-a-mountain-936163.html

A bump describes exactly what we, snowboarders think of less than 1km high hills... But it is nature and it`s gorgeous everywhere.

I can`t wait to see how new RWG is going on, because if we have ..i mean, when we have it, we gonna love it.

What's your reasoning behind this statement?

Because if regular animals are attracted to you as a result of you having stockpiled meat, it defeats the purpose. It just becomes a meat factory. You kill them and end up with even more meat.

It’s like saying we need to nerf the amount of wood a player can have, so if they have too much, then spawn extra trees around their base.

Not so fast.

It was a Welsh mountain the Englishman went up.

Edited: Finally back behind a real keyboard.

The cutoff for Britain is Ben Nevis at 4,413ft. The highest in England is Scafell pike at 3,209ft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Three_Peaks_Challenge

I met a Swiss lad on my way down from Scafell pike. He said he had bathed in a mountain lake higher than that. I had to point out that most of his country was higher than that. It's damn difficult to take a bath in a Swiss house at a lower altitude. :-)

Because if regular animals are attracted to you as a result of you having stockpiled meat, it defeats the purpose. It just becomes a meat factory. You kill them and end up with even more meat.

Maybe it should attract vultures.

Maybe it should attract vultures.

I like that almost as much as bandits. In A18, feathers will be more scarce. While this could be considered a feather factory, it has the potential to be balanced enough to at least make it a tough decision on whether you should do this on purpose or not.

Then again, it might not be balanced enough.

No idea atm

Thats good, but it doesn't show what books are out in the wild to discovering, giving new players the incentive for go hunt for them. Otherwise people will just be googling a wiki list.

The list shows every book that is in existence and checks off the ones that you found so it does show all the books out in the wild that you haven’t found. The only people who will use Google or a wiki are those who find it fun to do so for its own sake. ;)

That's nice. I hated the fact the Fireaxe was the go-to choice in a lot of situations because it just does everything so well. Should be a tool and an okay-ish weapon like you just described. By the way did you make the machete great again ?

Supposedly Gazz did, I need to try one yet.

Interesting video about simple bows and stone-tip arrows:

So basically, they can shoot clean through a deer (50 pound hunting-bow). A stronger bow could easily shoot through a (no armored) zombie...

Our shoot through tech only supports rays not projectiles.

So what you're saying is we dont need a list of what perks can be unlocked by looting schematics because every single perk has a schematic that can be found?

Man, looting just got HYPED again!

Great change.

I'm a bit confused by your question so I'll just blanket statement the system as best as I can.

There are a lot of book sets that unlock unique perks that are designed to augment each play style or weapon archtype. Collecting all 7 unlocks a completion bonus perk that is pretty kickass or borderline OP.

There are schematics for all the things that the skill perks unlock (Not the books). For example, the first rank of of boomstick allows you to craft a double barrel shotgun, but you can also find a double barrel shotgun schematic, which teaches you permanently how to craft a double barrel shotgun. However, that schematic does NOT grant you any of the abilities the first rank of shotgun messiah, such as do more damage.

So the first rank of boomstick does this:

Maybe your aim isn't so good or you just like doing a lot of damage up close and personal. Either way a hobo with a shotgun is not to be messed with. Craft faulty quality Shotguns, deal 10% more damage, 10% faster fire rate, and 10% faster reload. Increases chance to dismember by 5%.

The schematic does this: Craft faulty quality Shotguns.

So a schematic will let you do the basic crafting is all, the perk gives you the full nine yards. Its more useful for forge, or bandages if you don't want to be a doctor but want to craft bandages, then find the schematic. If you interested in all the benefits, buy the perk. The schematics let you focus on your build and give you entry level access to some stuff outside of your specialty.

Archived