Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

If there's no need to monitor it what's the point in adding it?

You'll end up with a lot of people raging that their character cannot get to full health despite eating a hundred bowls of noodles*. Never underestimate the stupidity of the average player.

*Based on the true story of a student who worked out he could survive on nothing but noodles and ended up with scurvy.

He did not have enough light energy. Its all you need as nutrition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

Use electricity like a normal human being! But seriously, unlike food and even if I would personally enjoy torches degrading I wouldn't be in favor of a decoration element being subject to these kinds of rules, much less one that will, perhaps, become annoying to replace.

That would need a few fixes first. Like being able to connect multiple solar panels to one place so i can use all the power on one cord. Also, the batteries need to be charged even when noone is in the base.

No worse than a fresh spawn, are you crying about things when you spawn? No you are all excited to start your game. Change your attitude about debuff, its a minor hiccup in the journey and 99% of the time you are stronger than when you spawned so I don't see the issue other than people want to complain. Dang I'm as strong as I was 2 hours ago that sucks. Really? Its not like we flatline you from 10 to -10.

Not really crying about that. More like "i barely can get to my bag on time before it despawns and i will probably freeze to death on the way" :)

No the fireaxe no longer gets any benefits from deep cuts. It ok at melee but not what it was, but it does work ok. Its badass at cutting wood though. I've currently skipped sledgehammers and clubs in my strength build and only use a fireaxe. I've already got rank 5 so its damage is max until I find a steel schematic or steel one in loot that is better than my crafted blue one. Its not bad, but again its not super OP like it used to be in 17. A fair trade since you get it with mining perks. If you want to be a cut guy use a machete or knife.

That's nice. I hated the fact the Fireaxe was the go-to choice in a lot of situations because it just does everything so well. Should be a tool and an okay-ish weapon like you just described. By the way did you make the machete great again ?

I agree, it sounds like a micromanaging nightmare but it doesn't have to be like that - depends on the implementation. If the time period and food variety is lenient enough and the player doesn't have to monitor nutrients but just have to eat 2-3 different recipes within say a week, with better recipes eliminating that need (since they should contain a variety of nutrients themselves), they would intuitively learn to do it without having to monitor anything at all.

I think you were inspired by SCUM.

The difference is that the survival mechanic of SCUM is build around the food system with its differenet nutrients. It's one of the core features of this game. Implementing it into a game like 7DTD would do nothing but cause frustration. Expecially if the only purpose is beeing a subitem in a checklist for getting a full health/stamina bar.

Interesting video about simple bows and stone-tip arrows:

So basically, they can shoot clean through a deer (50 pound hunting-bow). A stronger bow could easily shoot through a (no armored) zombie...

Yes and when you shoot from sniper rifle, the bullet won't drop to the ground after 100 meters. Not everything can be realistic. And there has to be balance.

No perks can be found as books. Books are their own thing. There are schematics for everything perks unlock so you aren't forced into buying that perk unless you really want the perk parts of it, like damage bonuses etc.

So what you're saying is we dont need a list of what perks can be unlocked by looting schematics because every single perk has a schematic that can be found?

Man, looting just got HYPED again!

Great change.

Interesting video about simple bows and stone-tip arrows:

So basically, they can shoot clean through a deer (50 pound hunting-bow). A stronger bow could easily shoot through a (no armored) zombie...

I would presume the rotting flesh of zombies is easier to penetrate than one of deers.

So what you're saying is we dont need a list of what perks can be unlocked by looting schematics because every single perk has a schematic that can be found?

Great change.

From what I understood only the crafting perks will have a counterpart schematic to unlock the same recipe. However buying said perks will give you a passive bonus TBD that you wouldn't get by reading the schematics.

Furthermore there are some perks only unlocked by reading books.

- - - Updated - - -

Madmole, is it possible to wait in 18 Alpha for a fix shotgun charging with a separate charging animation for each shell?

Is your animator polishing this up?

+1 I would love this.

I think you were inspired by SCUM.

The difference is that the survival mechanic of SCUM is build around the food system with its differenet nutrients. It's one of the core features of this game. Implementing it into a game like 7DTD would do nothing but cause frustration. Expecially if the only purpose is beeing a subitem in a checklist for getting a full health/stamina bar.

Wasn't the one who suggested it and I explained what that would offer and how it wouldn't actually be frustrating in a couple of posts above:

The point isn't for the player to have to monitor stuff, but giving value to higher level recipes that include a wider variety of materials and consequently the player doing the activities needed to procure them, having to find different seeds etc. Full health should be feasible anyway - what one would get by doing this is a well-fed buff (or a slight debuff when malnourished) which would add some QOL.

Imagine if the game didn't have hunger at all and the devs wanted to implement it. God, can you imagine the frustration that would cause?

From what I understood only the crafting perks will have a schematic. However buying said perks will give you a passive bonus TBD that you would get by reading the schematics.

Furthermore there are some perks only unlocked by reading books.

From what I understand, there are books, that give special bonuses.

When you find one, you get a bonus, if you find the entire collection, you get something special.

Then there are schematics, that unlock recipes.

Perks give you bonuses, unrelated to books and they also unlock recipes.

So if you want to craft something, you can buy the perk or try to find the schematic (recipe), but the perk is still relevant as an investment because of the bonus it gives.

I also think spoilage would be pretty lame, but I agree that there could be some value to having food-related challenges in the mid-to-late game.

Instead of food generically increasing heat for zombies, what about it creating a different sort of heat that attracts bears? So the more food items you have in a chunk, ESPECIALLY raw meat, the more often a bear comes wandering in to check it out. Just like the screamer mechanic.

The challenge goes from ‘don’t starve’ to ‘don’t get eaten!’ and instead of feeling like food is a non-issue after a certain point it becomes a different kind of issue, one of abundance = danger.

In fact if you had hundreds of meat and food items you could expect 2-3 bears to come sniffing around and more frequent dog pack spawns.

This way when you get to the point you’ve got tons of food and forges/cement mixers/chem stations working you have zombies AND animals frequently checking out your base.

But this wouldn’t prevent you from questing, exploring, etc. It would just mean there’s a good chance when you come home there will be a bear or two near your base.

Do you really think couple of bear are going to touch you in mid game in your base? I'm pretty sure I won't go out to hunt them during mid game..

is A17.5 coming anytime soon?

possibly not... {[(possibly is not always 100% nor a signed contract)]}, any bug reports written for a17.4 will be checked against a18 and if found to be an issue then it is fixed for a18... so in a way your helping with a18 as well.

BUT bleep bleep happens as we all know. :)

possibly not... {[(possibly is not always 100% nor a signed contract)]}, any bug reports written for a17.4 will be checked against a18 and if found to be an issue then it is fixed for a18... so in a way your helping with a18 as well.

BUT bleep bleep happens as we all know. :)

I would just troll all fellas and release a18 as a17.5 and watch their faces.

Great change.

He basically said "zero perks can be found in books", not "no, perks can be found in books".

Will the new inteligence turrets be stackable in the inventory? I mean, not a big stack size so you can build a panic room in the open without sacrificing iinventory slots, but I think a stack of 2 or 3 per slot would make sense.

Why would you be able to stack a gun with quality, stats and ammo count?

From what I understand, there are books, that give special bonuses.

When you find one, you get a bonus, if you find the entire collection, you get something special.

Then there are schematics, that unlock recipes.

Perks give you bonuses, unrelated to books and they also unlock recipes.

So if you want to craft something, you can buy the perk or try to find the schematic (recipe), but the perk is still relevant as an investment because of the bonus it gives.

Basically you restated what I already wrote :)

Archived