Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

The game has been in early access for going on six years. Rushing the game out? Flipping games? I think some of you need to look up “rushing” and “flipping”.

It WAS fun to daydream and speculate about all the potential content that could be added but honestly most of that was way beyond the promised features anyway. Now the game is at its end and all the “maybe we can add that” comments must necessarily change to “no”.

Modding is the future of the game. What’s wrong with that?

And what’s up with petty and snide remarks about showing art assets for A18 as if that is the only thing they are going to do?

Madmole has been saying unpolitically correct stuff for years. If you are an easily offended person then beware. He was telling it like it is as he sees it and not intending to insult anyone.

It’s MADMOLE....

They are planning on adding everything from the Kickstarter list including bandits. What other endgame content was anyone expecting based on the Kickstarter goals for the game?

What other endgame content was anyone expecting based on the Kickstarter goals for the game?

You should totally consider future DLCs for the game once it does go gold.

One of the things that I would love to see as a DLC would be a settlement system and survivor NPCs, that you can rescue, take care of, feed, equip gear and post them as guards or make them patrol your base and have an option to make one of them follow you and help you out in adventures.

Another thing (worthy of a DLC, idk?) would be so that you have to craft only one block, then select the shape you want in a similar fashion how you select different paints. Empyrion game has a very well made example, how it could be implemented. I know you guys started to work on that feature, but it was too much and you scrapped it, but it would be a huge quality of life improvement to all builders out there, that love 7 days to die because of the building aspect in the game, that's why there are people with 3000 or more hours of gameplay, because it's a sandbox game, where imagination is the limit.

There are simply borders most modders cant cross.

So i hope we get at least decent NPC´s (inclusive voices) and some more trigger for quests and buffs (like break block x, manipulate lootabundance) and not to forget the ability to make a huge storeroom for a vehicle, 90 Slots is simply not enough for some kinds of mods

But i dont hope for all until gold, i hope for DLC´s. And i dont mean "M16 DLC 3.95€"

Not a single person who is upset over the "20 to 30" hour statement plays vanilla. I'm not concerned.

I play vanilla, and I'm definitely concerned. ("Upset" maybe not.)

I do see this trend in MM's posts where he's comparing TFP to a company like Bethesda, or 7D2D to AAA titles. I really hope that thinking goes away soon.

7D2D isn't Fallout, and TFP are not Bethesda. TFP can do better than that. They are doing better than that. I hope they keep aiming higher.

Madmole has said in the past they plan to continue to support the game for at least two years beyond gold release. They are trying to be done with early access and have a strong core game that is optimized and shippable as a finsished product. They are not trying to be done adding content to the game. The game will get content and it will cater to the 1000+ hours fan. But the vanilla default game they are trying to finish is what Madmole is talking about needing to cater to the mass market.

I’m not worried at all. Of course, I also already know what is planned for the first post gold DLC. :) For all the lurkers, don’t get worried because a few prominent people are freaking out about nothing and choosing to get offended by a matter of fact business oriented statement by one of the owners who tells it like it is.

Madmole has said in the past they plan to continue to support the game for at least two years beyond gold release. They are trying to be done with early access and have a strong core game that is optimized and shippable as a finsished product. They are not trying to be done adding content to the game. The game will get content and it will cater to the 1000+ hours fan. But the vanilla default game they are trying to finish is what Madmole is talking about needing to cater to the mass market.

I’m not worried at all. Of course, I also already know what is planned for the first post gold DLC. :) For all the lurkers, don’t get worried because a few prominent people are freaking out about nothing and choosing to get offended by a matter of fact business oriented statement by one of the owners who tells it like it is.

Hi Roland - I have behaved myself on the forums.... That BAN wegie was worse than getting caught without car insurance. "Car commercial from texas if you don't get it". I have figured it out - Roland is the TFP's attorney in 2027 - when TFP are sued because the apocalypse happened - because - 7 Days To Die caused the entire system to shut down and - TFP know the zombie code......

I have over 200 hours play time and never once even looked at mods...then again , I only play till day 20-30 at first , for A7-11...then A12+ I usually play till day 50-70 , A17 I am at day 93....but haven't logged back in . I usually only play each alpha for awhile to get used to it , see the changes , etc.

I would definitely hope for SOME official "end game" content...after its official gold and launched...or even DLC...

Maybe...after its launched , I might try some mods...or even make my own for what I want to do...until then , not really interested in them at all...

I have over 200 hours play time and never once even looked at mods...then again , I only play till day 20-30 at first , for A7-11...then A12+ I usually play till day 50-70 , A17 I am at day 93....but haven't logged back in . I usually only play each alpha for awhile to get used to it , see the changes , etc.

I would definitely hope for SOME official "end game" content...after its official gold and launched...or even DLC...

Maybe...after its launched , I might try some mods...or even make my own for what I want to do...until then , not really interested in them at all...

I just gave them an "End Game" starter...... The world ended and TFP - 7 Days to Die is to blame because they hold the key to the zombie breakout and - yes - "Roland is taking dirty money as their attorney in 2027" - Fiction or Non-fiction? Hmmmmmmm.

Madmole is on the run - because he injected himself with the last functional code of 7 Days To Die that created the apocalypse and if he is apprehended "Boss Mode" and more story base - his body needs to be kept alive and the code extracted, but only the most super of super computers could break the code - and where Is that computer located? We don't know - madmole has never disclosed that location and - Roland the attorney that has been paid over 7 trillion dollars is nowhere to be found.....

Hi Roland - I have behaved myself on the forums.... That BAN wegie was worse than getting caught without car insurance. "Car commercial from texas if you don't get it". I have figured it out - Roland is the TFP's attorney in 2027 - when TFP are sued because the apocalypse happened - because - 7 Days To Die caused the entire system to shut down and - TFP know the zombie code......

I knew I shouldn’t have said “owners”....

Erm....welcome back Wiggleslap ;)

The game has been in early access for going on six years. Rushing the game out? Flipping games? I think some of you need to look up “rushing” and “flipping”.

It WAS fun to daydream and speculate about all the potential content that could be added but honestly most of that was way beyond the promised features anyway. Now the game is at its end and all the “maybe we can add that” comments must necessarily change to “no”.

And what’s up with petty and snide remarks about showing art assets for A18 as if that is the only thing they are going to do?

Madmole has been saying unpolitically correct stuff for years. If you are an easily offended person then beware. He was telling it like it is as he sees it and not intending to insult anyone.

It’s MADMOLE....

They are planning on adding everything from the Kickstarter list including bandits. What other endgame content was anyone expecting based on the Kickstarter goals for the game?

I can answer that disregarding kickstarter goals:

Building blueprints,Followers, npc colonies, Single player campaign, Lore and quests at the level of Oblivion's Dark brotherhood.

EDIT: Also "death is death with player purchasable lifes options"

Its not that, its being realistic about the demographic audience. Most people have better things to do then play one game for thousands of hours.

So in other words turn this game into another crap generic zombie game? Yea ok thats totally what i thought this game would turn into when i started playing a8. You enjoy getting afew more sales from kids who play fortnite while your MAIN demographic, us hardcore gamers who have been here supporting you guys for YEARS, leave for something else. With a17 you tore down what made 7 days to die so great. Sure some things had some nice polish, but you completely took a poop on the rest and gutted it from the game. Now all you have done is given yourselfs as bad rep with your biggest fans.

I have 1800 hours into 7 days, and put almost 200 hours in most alphas (i would have double if i didnt hold myself back for the final release), i played 15 hours of alpha 17 you know why? Because the game is GARBAGE now. But now iv put over 100 hours in it because some talented modders over at Ravenhearst actually made the game good again, with depth, and passion, and you cant even give them credit where its due. It seems like you guys aspire to be like Bethesda of late, who require modders to make their games actually good. And even then (FO4/FO76) thats debatible because their games suck that much. Ill make sure not to buy 6 copies of your next game because its obviously not meant for me, its meant for some fortnite kid who wants 5 hours of fun. Instead of destroying what made people fall in love with the game in the first place, build on it.

You should totally consider future DLCs for the game once it does go gold.

One of the things that I would love to see as a DLC would be a settlement system and survivor NPCs, that you can rescue, take care of, feed, equip gear and post them as guards or make them patrol your base and have an option to make one of them follow you and help you out in adventures.

Another thing (worthy of a DLC, idk?) would be so that you have to craft only one block, then select the shape you want in a similar fashion how you select different paints. Empyrion game has a very well made example, how it could be implemented. I know you guys started to work on that feature, but it was too much and you scrapped it, but it would be a huge quality of life improvement to all builders out there, that love 7 days to die because of the building aspect in the game, that's why there are people with 3000 or more hours of gameplay, because it's a sandbox game, where imagination is the limit.

I always thought building a settlement with NPC's would be an awesome end game goal. You'd make your own faction to rival the Duke and White River. As the founder of the feast you would in charge of every aspect, like you suggested. Then you'd get attacked by zombos or raiders or setting up a trade deal with White River. I can see some not liking it though, as it conflicts with the "last man on earth" fantasy, well you and the trader.

Almost like Rimworld but not insane.

If the Ravenhurst mod in A17 is close to the A16 one, then I highly recommend it. Its tough and a bit scary.

Its not that, its being realistic about the demographic audience. Most people have better things to do then play one game for thousands of hours.

Most AAA games have about 6-10 hours of play, so aiming for 20-30 with hobby potential is still a very admirable design goal. The fact people play it 5000 hours or more is just bonus. I'm happy if I buy a game I play for more than 2 hours. If I can get 20-30 hours out of a game I'm super happy with it. We do want to create games that can become a hobby, but we can't expect people to play for thousands of hours and people who have played it for thousands of hours can't expect us to keep making it fun for them.

Then your on a slippery slope of adding late game crap 2% of players see. Its better to have less content that is super engaging for 20 hours than a ton of content that is meh or blocked.

Like I have to wonder how many players actually legit got tek gear in Ark on vanilla servers lol. What a waste of time making all those models and code for that stuff nobody ever got to use it unless they cheated.

Yeah this makes perfect sense. It's better to focus on the majority of the players, instead of the minority which have spent 4000 hours on the game. Makes me think; who spends that much time on a single game?? Don't they have other games to play?

I always thought building a settlement with NPC's would be an awesome end game goal. You'd make your own faction to rival the Duke and White River. As the founder of the feast you would in charge of every aspect, like you suggested. Then you'd get attacked by zombos or raiders or setting up a trade deal with White River. I can see some not liking it though, as it conflicts with the "last man on earth" fantasy, well you and the trader.

Almost like Rimworld but not insane.

oh someone makes a whisperer mod and makes bandits wear zombie skins lol.......... :-/

Yeah this makes perfect sense. It's better to focus on the majority of the players, instead of the minority which have spent 4000 hours on the game. Makes me think; who spends that much time on a single game?? Don't they have other games to play?

I have prolly round 5 - 6k maybe more lol 4761 hrs on steam alone. I got like 50 odd other games plus about 50 ps4 games. but the closest game i have lots a hrs is between skyrim 1000 hrs and FO4 631 hrs

Just to add to the lockpick requests:

I wonder if Im the only one who is annoyed by the darn metal vs metal sound.

It reminds me of a monkey swinging a wrench on to a heater, again and again. If there wasnt this disturbing sound that shakles your bones, I wouldnt care less but as long as the metal vs metal sound is like it is, I would prefer any other option to open a safe, than literally hammering on it!

Since the early days I keep replacing it with the stone vs metal sounds in the xml. C4 will possibly be an appropiate solution but in regards to mining the freaking sound issue persists.

I knew I shouldn’t have said “owners”....

Erm....welcome back Wiggleslap ;)

Roland - Wow! Lost of negativity floating around. I am still convinced in 2027 you are the lawyer for TFP - Hiding out in a bunker with all of your money and Madmole is on the run trying to save his blood because he has the cure for the zombie apocalypse. Hmmm, Madmole - maybe he will be hiding underground..... His name - may have been chosen for the future... Start digging all!!!!

I have, and still am enjoying the heck out of this game. I think it's a work of art. You can't, as an artist , keep making the same "successful" art forever, IMHO. I am excited to see what may come next, considering how they have all honed their craft over these years. I'm not going to say there a lot of forum members who are partial to temper tantrums but...oops.

Most people have better things to do then play one game for thousands of hours.

Yeah! Like play other games! (Assassin Odessey, Far Cry 5, Minecrat, OpenTTD...). (First 3, I was comparing skills/perks to 7D2D...). Otherwise I would have more than 4500 in 7D2D...

Yeah! Like spend a ton of money on other developers to help keep them afloat! Oh, wait...

; - )

Asked and answered! (I didn't even mention taking a swipe at Crusader Kings 2!)

Please give us a switch to skip the entire tutorial and begin with the skill points to distribute and then schedule the trader quest.

I'm quite tired of doing the same things over and over that I will do anyway, but not necessarily in that order.

Everyone who started the game at least two times knows what and how to do...

THIS would be a nice option in the menu. After playing the game even for a month, players really don't need that hand holding any longer.

There was chatter about legendary loot a few days ago and I had a thought... you already have the mod system in place.. why not just add legendary versions of the mods that have higher percentage rates? Bunker buster that does twice the block damage, crippler with a 90% chance of crippling, or rad remover that also does continuous incremental damage as well as removing the healing factor?

Adding those is just xml text editing work, and in one day you could probably have duplicated all the current mods with legendary versions.

Since mods are really where its at loot wise now, making legendary versions of them is kind of a no brainer.

(And I'd like to see a bladed weapon mod that increases limb removal percentage... I see zombies with removed limbs all the time from the blade traps, but I can't recall seeing me removal a limb at all with a lot of melee in a17.)

Wow. Lots of hyperbole and rhetoric. (squeal?) Thanks for taking some of the 'heat' Roland.

I have spent $20 for 4500+ hours of playing THE.BEST.GAME.EVER. And it's still in Alpha!

500+ of that playing in mods from some of the best 7D2D minds ever. (Jax, Guppy, Khaine, etc.)

(And, Jax - you'll do what you need to do, but know you have added 300+ hours of enjoyment. Just for me.)

I don't demand that TFP do things for me - as I only have $20 invested...

(maybe you should have to 'invest' so much for every idea... and add even more the more you think it's necessary...)

(yes, Minecraft has free updates. How much community input is there?)

(Not a dig KingSlayer - just noting the forum audience differences...)

I want TFP to survive- because I cannot wait for 7D2D Gold AND the 'sequeal' (sequel + squeal) - or whatever they plan next.

(And if they kickstart that - maybe I can get involved right away and REALLY show my appreciation!)

Hi Guys, I looked around, found no one asking about: It is possible to drink from source on A17? With the water filter mod would be great, but I can only punch water for now.

I'm loving to drive in this alpha (the left click to change drive mode is great!), and having a lot of fun doing quests.

Archived