Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

If you guys truly are making combat the main source of XP and levelling then everything that can be done to make combat more dynamic and satisfying should take priority.

There it is... rage of the day... it's a pity I'll be at work for this one.

I'll start...

<clears throat>

Killing zombies is not meant to be the main source of XP, that's an imbalance. Mining with perks is faster and safer than getting xp from zombies in later levels.

That said, I did find myself farming zombie heads to level up during the early stages of 17.3 but once I had a few perks and some decent tools I switched to mining as the main source.

Anyone else finding progression a little fast in 17.3? I'm on day 12, not even the second horde night, and I'm on level 23. Is that just me accidentally power-gaming or does anyone else think this?

I'll start...

<clears throat>

Killing zombies is not meant to be the main source of XP, that's an imbalance. Mining with perks is faster and safer than getting xp from zombies in later levels.

That said, I did find myself farming zombie heads to level up during the early stages of 17.3 but once I had a few perks and some decent tools I switched to mining as the main source.

To be fair I haven't played the last two patches, I'm waiting on Undead Legacy mod to land as I wasn't a big fan of the new perk system. I wasn't intending on triggering anyone I apologise, The focus of my post wasn't really on how to gain xp but on first person animations.

To be fair I haven't played the last two patches, I'm waiting on Undead Legacy mod to land as I wasn't a big fan of the new perk system. The focus of my post wasn't really on how to gain xp but on first person animations.

The technical answer is yes, unity can side-load animation controllers and animations at runtime.

It's not possible in 7dtd yet without hacking the dll's but it can be done.

We put the idea on hold as the Intellect player is probably not good with guns. So he is a junk turret.

Interesting. I play myself with a focus on intellect and prefer for looting to sneak through POIs. Of course the bow and the crossbow fit as quiet weapons. Is there a chance that we will get new or improved silent weapons with A19 ?

Have you even asked those friends? A lot of people have disabilities and they don't automatically lose their sense of humor.

Or is this not about them at all?

I linked that post to a friend with Tourette's he thought it was f'ing hilarious.

Why does it seem that we have gone backwards with AI...I have been playing 17.3 and find random hordes just staying in an area jumping next to obstacles that arent even in front of them. 2 years of waiting ...When will temperature get fixed? Its so annoying playing have your toon be heat stroking out with nothing on.

I'll start...

<clears throat>

Anyone else finding progression a little fast in 17.3? I'm on day 12, not even the second horde night, and I'm on level 23. Is that just me accidentally power-gaming or does anyone else think this?

You're fine, Before day 7 in A17.2 I would be level 30-40 cause I love to go out and rampage every POI I saw. Thus resulting in me fighting wayyyy harder hordes early on.

@madmole

Good morning people, yesterday remained in the inkwell some more questions for developers

-New Systems-

* Can we domestic Wolves? (use them as friends and cargo donkey)

* We can put Tipoy to the M60 Heavy Machine Gun and put it on a block and leave it there and the horde night to be able to shoot it (it would be super great to be able to do that) (you can put it as the turret but not automatic)

* The fishing is something discarded for Alfas fusturas? (I would add more variety of meals salmon fillet, trout, etc. and be able to prepare positions caceras for some Buff)

-Decoration, aesthetics, decoration and interaction-

* Wall support for weapons (decoration type skyrim)

* We can sit on the chair by pressing the letter "E" (enjoy the destroyed world from the security of your base)

* Double doors (2 blocks wide)

* Can manufacture flashlights, moving lights, and light elements that were added to the game

-New vehicles-

* We could add the Air Balloon to the A18

* Could a quasi be added?

* Could a helicopter be added? (I know there are mods for this, but it's better if it's original from the game)

-Receives, new things and additions-

* Can you add more variety to the crops? (Carrot, Onion, Wheat) (wheat to make flour and make cakes, etc.)

* Make liquors and new Te (new buff)

* Mom's cookies? (legendary buff)

-The boy's dream-

* Add in all the vines the most abundant gold and silver ore?

* Add to the radio the crafteo, which passes music add and to which we can add from the folder of installation, and that warns attacks of hordes or missions of the trader? (wow that would be great)

* Radio station for the 4x4 (it would transmit the same radio signal)

* Force lock with ganzua (system similar to that of Skyrim)

Excuse the amount of questions is my instinct for future journalist

@madmole

Good morning people, yesterday remained in the inkwell some more questions for developers

-New Systems-

* Can we domestic Wolves? (use them as friends and cargo donkey)

* We can put Tipoy to the M60 Heavy Machine Gun and put it on a block and leave it there and the horde night to be able to shoot it (it would be super great to be able to do that) (you can put it as the turret but not automatic)

* The fishing is something discarded for Alfas fusturas? (I would add more variety of meals salmon fillet, trout, etc. and be able to prepare positions caceras for some Buff)

-Decoration, aesthetics, decoration and interaction-

* Wall support for weapons (decoration type skyrim)

* We can sit on the chair by pressing the letter "E" (enjoy the destroyed world from the security of your base)

* Double doors (2 blocks wide)

* Can manufacture flashlights, moving lights, and light elements that were added to the game

-New vehicles-

* We could add the Air Balloon to the A18

* Could a quasi be added?

* Could a helicopter be added? (I know there are mods for this, but it's better if it's original from the game)

-Receives, new things and additions-

* Can you add more variety to the crops? (Carrot, Onion, Wheat) (wheat to make flour and make cakes, etc.)

* Make liquors and new Te (new buff)

* Mom's cookies? (legendary buff)

-The boy's dream-

* Add in all the vines the most abundant gold and silver ore?

* Add to the radio the crafteo, which passes music add and to which we can add from the folder of installation, and that warns attacks of hordes or missions of the trader? (wow that would be great)

* Radio station for the 4x4 (it would transmit the same radio signal)

* Force lock with ganzua (system similar to that of Skyrim)

Excuse the amount of questions is my instinct for future journalist : sonrisa nueva:

Te recomiendo revisar el post, hay varias palabras que no se tradujeron correctamente.

I recommend double-checking this post, some words didn't translate correctly from spanish.

I agree. Also, one thing I hated in Oblivion and Skyrim was that everybody trusted you in no time. 6 quests and you th'boss. Morrowind is indeed better in that particular aspect. You had to do like 20 tasks and various quests just to be just a guy in the guild. Then you will go higher until you get to be the Mr"who's your daddy" of the guild. Sure the quests were very talking and going and killing, but TES3 did excel at it (enjoyed the situations/gameplay ).

As for my opinion of the features unveiled recently :

-Clothing pockets: Very nice.

-Weapons improve with quality : Very nice again.

-The perk design: For the moment I like it all and I'm hoping to try out that sweet scrap turret.

-Books: bring'em. Can'em. We shall eat them for experience.

- POIs are never enough.Something like 7537474647 more of them will do.

-I also miss exploding legs. They are not a thing since a16.

Greetings to the devs and forum dwellers.

Yeah I think Oblivion at least had ranks in the guilds. Skyrim let you advance too fast and be guildmaster potentially while being a low level noob with not much skill.

Yes I think A18 is all good stuff.

Speaking of the turret for the intellect build, I wonder if that might be the new meta for horde night? Have at least one other person specializing in int, to have turret support.

Hm, I guess it depends on the fire rate and how much the int's turret will have. Because now I imagine, why use a gun and horde ammo for horde night, when you could instead specialize into intellect. Horde scrap iron which can be found quite abundantly by wrenching cars or hitting the small boulders and scrapping the iron. Then using the turret for horde night.

@madmole, I would suggest glass and nails as being alternative ammo types for the turret. With scrap iron being the normal ammo. Glass would add bleeding debuff. Nails would add stagger debuff.

Also, would you consider adding in scrap iron tools? Especially since scrap iron in general is an abundant resource. I see as a way to have an alternative to the stone axe when you first start, with the downside being that it would use more stamina. I would have the tech go from primitive tools (stone and wood) > primitive+ tools (scrap tools and iron club) > modern tools (iron and steel) > industrial tools (auger and chainsaw).

Please tell me you didn't actually name the perk that. That's a very tasteless name. I have friends that play the game that actually *do* have Tourette's syndrome.

- - - Updated - - -

So those mods won't do anything for a player with maxed out pack mule?

Its more about fascination with turrets and mechanical things, and getting angry and unleashing his fury with them. Help me think of a better name then.

Te recomiendo revisar el post, hay varias palabras que no se tradujeron correctamente.

I recommend double-checking this post, some words didn't translate correctly from spanish.

soy malo con el ingles, y segun mi traductor esta todo bien, no logro detectar las palabras mal escritas

I'm bad with English, and according to my translator it's all good, I can not detect the misspelled words

- - - Updated - - -

Its more about fascination with turrets and mechanical things, and getting angry and unleashing his fury with them. Help me think of a better name then.

The madman of the turrets

Probably would be a risky name in this day and age. I used to play "Blind Man's Bluff" and "Smear the ♥♥♥♥♥" as a kid but that was in the 70's and 80's....

A lot of kids these days are looking to be offended. Ruining actors careers over sexual harassment. They called it flirting back in the day. I'm sure some of them deserved ruining, but usually its a cash grab lawsuit or some nobody trying to elevate their social awareness off of someone else's name.

When I went to school teachers smacked your hand with a yardstick, duct taped people's mouths shut who wouldn't shut up in class (wrapped it around their hair and whole head multiple times), yanked people around by their arms, slapped them and scolded them. Today parents can't even spank their kids. It's molding a disrespectful easily offended culture in kids. I'm not saying all of that stuff was good, but it taught natural selection very well. Keep your mouth shut and be respectful or there were nasty consequences.

This looks awesome! Is it for salvage, for players to craft and drive, or both?

The truck and bandit talk got me thinking. Army "cleanup" roaming squads might be interesting. They don't want the players stuff. They want to "cleanup"; kill players, zombies, and destroy all players contaminated bases. With c4.

Thats a good idea but too much scope for our goals.

Really? My father only has one leg, something he has a fantastic sense of humour about, should we remove dismemberment?

True story. Visited him in the hospital after a major operation, the man damn near died. We get to the ward and he's sat in a chair rigged up to a ton of machinery that's making sounds like an eighties arcade. The conversation went like this...

Me: Are you alright? You look like you've been drinking for three days straight!

Dad: We are Borg, resistance is futile.

Sometimes traumatic life changing experiences can be a good thing. I was listening to Tony Robbins (everyone should IMO) and he told a story about a guy who lost his ability to walk from a car crash, but once he knew he had limited time here left, he threw out all his inhibitions and lived life to the fullest in his remaining time here and was an inspiration to a lot of people. Something that he never would have done without that nasty car accident.

Its great your dad could keep a sense of humor even in a tragic situation.

I'm sure some people will complain about them lol. Zombies can't shoot.

I was playing a mod about a year ago...war of the walkers I think. A sniper bandit took me out in the wasteland and took me out again every time I tried to get my bag, bike, and gear. It totally sucked but was totally awesome.

Do you ever plan to do some changes to first person animations? You mention Fallout 4 and it made me think of little things like the way guns swayed when you turn and your weapon lowered when you ran. Relatively minor things that really add to the immersion and make you feel connected with your character as well as make combat feel more fluid and organic.

The power of animations is something that quite often gets overlooked, even in Fallout 4. I'm not sure if you ever modded it but this one hunting rifle animation changed the whole experience and made it my go too weapon (I never liked it before). I couldn't play without it once I tried it for the first time and it made me realise how bad some of the animations in Fallout 4 were as well as how much of a different good animations added to the experience.

It felt so satisfying chambering a bullet.

If you guys truly are making combat the main source of XP and levelling then everything that can be done to make combat more dynamic and satisfying should take priority.

We recently hired the guy who did the first person anims for Doom.

I'll start...

<clears throat>

IMO you level too fast and way too much.

Archived