Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

It's because they couldn't add an accuracy value, so they were all Hawkeyes. They also couldn't balance their damage/armor against a player. Also sneaking had no effect on them. They were basically walking turrets.

But modders did it! Why can't TFP? LOL. This is exactly why. Not wanting to stir the pot but to do good bandits will take a lot of time and patience getting it looking good and playing good.

I'm the only one who reboots my computer unexpectedly while you play?

I have no idea why you reboot your computer when I'm playing but you should stop doing that, it sounds like a strange disorder.

Is the school bus not intended to be wrenched down? I think I've wrenched down 5 or 6 and only gotten iron, maybe a bit of mechanical parts, but no leather, gas, cloth etc...

Or does rng just hate me?

There is a ticket.

I've played mods with bandits, they are not fun, they see you and aimbot you dead usually before you even are able to find whats shooting at you. I do hope there will be an option to turn them off, as I know I will. I don't even see why people want them so badly. Even if they were balanced to have very weak guns, maybe 10-15 base dmg a shot, you'd prob still die before you can kill them. Especally with how terrible armor is in a17 with how it hurts you more than it actually helps with all the debuffs to stamina and move speed it causes.

That's where military gear comes in, giving a lot of mobility and projectile protection. Zombies on the other hand will tear you apart. And viceversa with heavy steel armor.

I've played mods with bandits, they are not fun, they see you and aimbot you dead usually before you even are able to find whats shooting at you. I do hope there will be an option to turn them off, as I know I will. I don't even see why people want them so badly. Even if they were balanced to have very weak guns, maybe 10-15 base dmg a shot, you'd prob still die before you can kill them. Especally with how terrible armor is in a17 with how it hurts you more than it actually helps with all the debuffs to stamina and move speed it causes.

Just because mod mod could not get this implemented right with proper ai and weapon balancing, does not mean bandits are a bad gameplay element.

Good AI can be tuned so its engaging but not unfair to fight them. And things like weapon damage and armor balancing are really just some values that can be adapted when the gameplay changes (fighting against NPC bandits).

Bad AI often resort to primitive tactics such as perfect aim with perfect perception and speed, to overcome its limits in pathfinding/following, tactical positioning and preemtively countering player-actions. (Empyrion erm..)

Good AI would give the player enough time to understand the tactical situation, and give the player hints what the AI might do next. Using cover in a smart way, and having humanoid aim and perception limits.

Not sure what you mean :) Its slated for when its done. The perks and books are 99% localized and we're now putting in all the functionality, changing recipes to use gun parts, moving everything to buckets, making schematics for top end guns. It was a ton of work but I'm super excited the design is all done and now its just xml and of course animations, sounds and icons to finish up. End of June is certainly possible at this point, but we all know how easy it is to miss a targeted date, so lets not get too excited this far out.

You may want to edit your original post a little? Just because you will likely get a lot of people asking about this as time goes on.

Also, Alpha 18 waits for noone or no feature. If a feature isn't ready it gets disabled. I can't give a release date but I can assure you its in the first half of 2019.

I'm fine with waiting mind you. Just wanted to give you a heads up. That's probably why he assumed end of June.

We're starting on some bandit visual design and a system that can procedurally build their inventory and armor visuals based on GS rather than hand coding all of that and making specific prefabs.

That will be when the game gets freaking scary!

The only ranged zombie is easy to dodge. So a team of bandits come up and start demanding more and more of your food, caps and whatever else they feel they can extort from you...

If two of them have rocket launchers, I'd give them what they ask. Dead is dead will get real! :)

Just because mod mod could not get this implemented right with proper ai and weapon balancing, does not mean bandits are a bad gameplay element.

Good AI can be tuned so its engaging but not unfair to fight them. And things like weapon damage and armor balancing are really just some values that can be adapted when the gameplay changes (fighting against NPC bandits).

Bad AI often resort to primitive tactics such as perfect aim with perfect perception and speed, to overcome its limits in pathfinding/following, tactical positioning and preemtively countering player-actions. (Empyrion erm..)

Good AI would give the player enough time to understand the tactical situation, and give the player hints what the AI might do next. Using cover in a smart way, and having humanoid aim and perception limits.

Fallout 4's bandit combat is really good IMO. If we can come semi close to that I'd be really happy.

You may want to edit your original post a little? Just because you will likely get a lot of people asking about this as time goes on.

I'm fine with waiting mind you. Just wanted to give you a heads up. That's probably why he assumed end of June.

Why change it when its not delayed?

That will be when the game gets freaking scary!

The only ranged zombie is easy to dodge. So a team of bandits come up and start demanding more and more of your food, caps and whatever else they feel they can extort from you...

If two of them have rocket launchers, I'd give them what they ask. Dead is dead will get real! :)

Thats not going to happen. It will be shoot first, ask questions later.

Fallout 4's bandit combat is really good IMO. If we can come semi close to that I'd be really happy.

I like their behavior stages:

-relaxed (sitting, standing, talking, maybe patrolling)

-aware ("who is there" auditory feedback, then looking at the positon where they detected the player shortly)

-fight ..

-loosing track of the player and searching

Voice snippets are also an important part to signal the player what the ai is currently thinking, makes it much more immersive and human like. It also makes the player feel to have more agency in a fight, when the ai is suddenly loosing track and voices that, or find a dead comrade.

Bandits could for example already have surrounded the base of the player (random positions in the area) but not be aware that the player is returning now. (As a change to the frontal attack that the player is expecting and can prepare for)

Yeah, please make a good AI for bandits, like taking cover, flank, suppressing fire, hold fire when they don't know where you are, and so.

I trust that you'll never made them as the "classic retarded bandit" that see's you and sprints shooting towards you.

also...

Any new topic for us to comment about and give our opinions?

Also, Alpha 18 waits for noone or no feature. If a feature isn't ready it gets disabled. I can't give a release date but I can assure you its in the first half

Not sure what you mean :) Its slated for when its done. The perks and books are 99% localized and we're now putting in all the functionality, changing recipes to use gun parts, moving everything to buckets, making schematics for top end guns. It was a ton of work but I'm super excited the design is all done and now its just xml and of course animations, sounds and icons to finish up. End of June is certainly possible at this point, but we all know how easy it is to miss a targeted date, so lets not get too excited this far out.

I like when you debate! .....yourself! ;)

-aware ("who is there" auditory feedback, then looking at the positon where they detected the player shortly)

-fight ..

Voice snippets are also an important part to signal the player what the ai is currently thinking, makes it much more immersive and human like. It also makes the player feel to have more agency in a fight, when the ai is suddenly loosing track and voices that, or find a dead comrade.

Bandits could for example already have surrounded the base of the player (random positions in the area) but not be aware that the player is returning now. (As a change to the frontal attack that the player is expecting and can prepare for)

I agree here, if they can make it simmlar to fallout 4's raiders/bandits, that would be perfect.

-fight ..

Yep, good stuff.

Yeah, please make a good AI for bandits, like taking cover, flank, suppressing fire, hold fire when they don't know where you are, and so.

I trust that you'll never made them as the "classic retarded bandit" that see's you and sprints shooting towards you.

also...

Any new topic for us to comment about and give our opinions?

Army trucks.

Archived