Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

My thoughts exactly.

I'm really excited to have all these things to do early game. Find books, craft clothing and pocket mods, craft crude weaponry and get going in your specialization, then find parts and better gear, start crafting better firearms by scrapping others, then the best weapons need schematics you learn forever that are found in loot. I feel like the whole game loop here will make 7 Days feel special again, restoring that need to find a lot of things.

And did I mention quality will influence damage again? So orange will do more damage than brown, etc? Always an upgrade when you find a better quality no matter the mods.

Sounds good, hopefully A18 isn't too far out.

- - - Updated - - -

Who says white river is friendly? Depends how you treat them and what factions you earn rapport in. But yeah we're adding white river so I don't see any reason for modders to. As always all our stuff is xml driven so you would be able to add your own npcs if you wanted.

Yes, I can't wait to t-bag the White River into submission.

Hey Madmole... is there any chance of getting chicken coops in-game ???

In the "Starvation Mod" i loved the way you could setup Box Traps to catch chickens and rabbits and the build coops/hutches to keep them.

I find myself not making foods that need eggs (after like day 60) with them being harder and harder to find as i play with respawning loot turned off.

As the Box Traps and coops are just a block/ container in this mod i don't think there would be much of a hit to FPS ect in-game and with a little Graphical MM magic they would really cool... also it would fulfill the "animal breeding" that was in the Kickstarter vid. wink wink :p

A good use for all that surplus corn...

Add corn as "fuel" and get a steady supply of eggs.

We put the idea on hold as the Intellect player is probably not good with guns. So he is a junk turret:

Junk Turrets: Junk turrets can be placed like an auto turret. When deployed in the world (RMB) the player needs to be in close proximity to the turret for it to work. The turret would light up when active, play a low volume humming sound and behave like a regular auto turret when deployed with an (optional) animated barrel that rotates like it is scanning the area. When the player gets too far away they deactivate and aim downward, the lights would shut off and play a shut down sound. Players receive XP for junk turret kills. Each rank of "turrets syndrome" allows the player to have more turrets, do more damage and have a longer leash before they deactivate.

Placement would be the same as a vehicle by using RMB its rendered green in placement mode just like a vehicle entity. Press RMB to activate placement mode, press again to place. Left clicking once cancels placement mode and left clicking again will fire it. Reloading is done like all firearms, pressing R. There will be no GUI when placed or a way to reload it or repair it when placed.

radial to pick up and reload. press e to take. Last one placed is active and based on proximity.

LMB would allow you to shoot it like a firearm with no iron sight. It shoots scrap iron for ammunition.

God damn, decisions, desicions. This makes it tempting to go into int now when A18 comes out. Then again, I also do like being sneaky and getting ranged kills. But turrets, those fit me more.

IMO character progression and factions and alliances are the heart of an RPG. Edit: Like the ability to act different towards npcs and get a completely different outcome or game.

I agree. Also, one thing I hated in Oblivion and Skyrim was that everybody trusted you in no time. 6 quests and you th'boss. Morrowind is indeed better in that particular aspect. You had to do like 20 tasks and various quests just to be just a guy in the guild. Then you will go higher until you get to be the Mr"who's your daddy" of the guild. Sure the quests were very talking and going and killing, but TES3 did excel at it (enjoyed the situations/gameplay ).

As for my opinion of the features unveiled recently :

-Clothing pockets: Very nice.

-Weapons improve with quality : Very nice again.

-The perk design: For the moment I like it all and I'm hoping to try out that sweet scrap turret.

-Books: bring'em. Can'em. We shall eat them for experience.

- POIs are never enough.Something like 7537474647 more of them will do.

-I also miss exploding legs. They are not a thing since a16.

Greetings to the devs and forum dwellers.

We put the idea Each rank of "turrets syndrome" allows the player to have more turrets, do more damage and have a longer leash before they deactivate.

Please tell me you didn't actually name the perk that. That's a very tasteless name. I have friends that play the game that actually *do* have Tourette's syndrome.

- - - Updated - - -

Clothing will support 1 mod slot in A18. Right now if you find the right needle and thread book you can install pocket mods to reduce encumbrance. One step closer to not needing strength/pack mule.

So those mods won't do anything for a player with maxed out pack mule?

Please tell me you didn't actually name the perk that. That's a very tasteless name. I have friends that play the game that actually *do* have Tourette's syndrome.

Probably would be a risky name in this day and age. I used to play "Blind Man's Bluff" and "Smear the ♥♥♥♥♥" as a kid but that was in the 70's and 80's....

I actually think the name is a brilliant pun, with no offense meant. Those who want to be offended will get offended *shrug*

Probably would be a risky name in this day and age. I used to play "Blind Man's Bluff" and "Smear the ♥♥♥♥♥" as a kid but that was in the 70's and 80's....

Imagine Archie Bunker, Married With Children, and Blazing Saddles coming out today... WW3 incoming...

Have you even asked those friends? A lot of people have disabilities and they don't automatically lose their sense of humor.

Or is this not about them at all?

I tweeted new army truck, but twitter seems to have changed I can't find the way to copy the tweek link anymore.

Best I can do for now is this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6JH7kkUEAAGpN7?format=jpg&name=small

D6JH7kkUEAAGpN7.jpg

D6JH7kiUIAA-Uwp.jpg

D6JH7klU8AA9hrc.jpg

This looks awesome! Is it for salvage, for players to craft and drive, or both?

The truck and bandit talk got me thinking. Army "cleanup" roaming squads might be interesting. They don't want the players stuff. They want to "cleanup"; kill players, zombies, and destroy all players contaminated bases. With c4.

I would have never made that association.

See it as bringing awareness about that disease.

Good AI would give the player enough time to understand the tactical situation, and give the player hints what the AI might do next.

Nice to have someone see it the same way. Often you hear the call for an unpredictable AI but I don't think people understand what that actually means. A little variation in behavior is desirable but unpredictable would mean complete chaos.

Have you even asked those friends? A lot of people have disabilities and they don't automatically lose their sense of humor.

brilliant response!

bravo!

the world is full of people looking for a chance to feel offended on someone elses behalf

I have a torticollis because of a bad position and, believe me or not, I feel offended by the perk "miner 69". Rename it.

Really? My father only has one leg, something he has a fantastic sense of humour about, should we remove dismemberment?

True story. Visited him in the hospital after a major operation, the man damn near died. We get to the ward and he's sat in a chair rigged up to a ton of machinery that's making sounds like an eighties arcade. The conversation went like this...

Me: Are you alright? You look like you've been drinking for three days straight!

Dad: We are Borg, resistance is futile.

Fallout 4's bandit combat is really good IMO. If we can come semi close to that I'd be really happy.

Do you ever plan to do some changes to first person animations? You mention Fallout 4 and it made me think of little things like the way guns swayed when you turn and your weapon lowered when you ran. Relatively minor things that really add to the immersion and make you feel connected with your character as well as make combat feel more fluid and organic.

The power of animations is something that quite often gets overlooked, even in Fallout 4. I'm not sure if you ever modded it but this one hunting rifle animation changed the whole experience and made it my go too weapon (I never liked it before). I couldn't play without it once I tried it for the first time and it made me realise how bad some of the animations in Fallout 4 were as well as how much of a different good animations added to the experience.

It felt so satisfying chambering a bullet.

If you guys truly are making combat the main source of XP and levelling then everything that can be done to make combat more dynamic and satisfying should take priority.

This looks awesome! Is it for salvage, for players to craft and drive, or both?

The truck and bandit talk got me thinking. Army "cleanup" roaming squads might be interesting. They don't want the players stuff. They want to "cleanup"; kill players, zombies, and destroy all players contaminated bases. With c4.

Will we be able to use C4 like a raiding tool? This got me a bit excited because I played quite heavily on PVP servers but one of the things that put me off was raiding. No kidding one night me and the team that I was playing with spent 8 hours augering steel and concrete blocks to get in somebodies base. It would be good if C4 was balanced into the game so that it was rare and hard to craft but could be used to penetrate walls more effectively than the current tool set. Also we'd need to be able to place it within somebodies LCB :-D

Archived