Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Recipe scaling is in, so we could do that part. However, its not going to change much, you can get food at traders, find huge farm pois, and hunt, survive only on eggs etc. Food is just a minor bump in the road getting started and isn't meant to be "don't starve". I can't think of any other survival game where food is the center of attention.

The Long Dark

All energy expenditure is broken down into calories, and all food has a calorie count and decay rate, storing it outside in the cold slows the decay timer.

The main pain in the ass is the inventory management because the different decay rates cause stacking problems.

Food is definitely meaningful.

You mean like someone who would take a rock from its natural habitat and stick it behind glass somewhere, alone, in a large city or perhaps subject it to foul and devious experimentation?

Who would do such a thing? Who could be so cruel?

I always release them back into nature! ^^

- - - Updated - - -

He'd better not grind rocks into concrete mix then :)

The horror! Who does such a thing!

It's almost time for some show and tell videos. I'm relocalizing the attributes and then I think that I can demo the perk overhaul in a video.

Yeah MM! Can't wait to watch that!

I must say I am very excited for A18 skills and perks system. I am a LBD guy, and I don't like current A17's system, but I have a good feeling about what's coming based on what you told us. Im ready to give it a chance! I am super glad that level gates are going away and that you can play the game as different classes.

Looking forward to your videos

I must say I am very excited for A18 skills and perks system. I am a LBD guy, and I don't like current A17's system, but I have a good feeling about what's coming based on what you told us. Im ready to give it a chance! I am super glad that level gates are going away and that you can play the game as different classes.

----> +1

Karen Zombie confirmed A18

Traits are as follows

-Demands to see manager at any restaurant POI and your own home

-Will rip your face off if you look at her (especially if a male character)

-Doesn't like when you speak "out of line" (using voice chat summons her army of Karens)

-Is offended by anything and everything (Hears you grunt from jumping/falling or anything remotely offensive? attempts to call the manager to have you removed from the POI)

Looking forward to the perk changes and reorganization of attributes in A18, looks/ sounds good.

@MM one thing that does stop specialization or only going down one attribute is Hit Points, realistically you have to invest in Fortitude not for the healing but to increase your max points. A simple solution to that would be Hit Points linked to level.

IE you start as now with 100 and gain +1 hit point every level gain, then rather that the annoying temporary death de-buff on death, you lose say 10 hit points, which you can only regain by going back up 10 levels. Minimum would never go below the start 100.

This would address several issues and IMO increase long term play and encourage death avoidance.

IE you start as now with 100 and gain +1 hit point every level gain, then rather that the annoying temporary death de-buff on death, you lose say 10 hit points, which you can only regain by going back up 10 levels. Minimum would never go below the start 100.

This would address several issues and IMO increase long term play and encourage death avoidance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just the Wellness system we just got rid of, tied to limited levels and with a cap on loss? I don't think it's a good idea to go right back to something like that after it was overhauled in A17.

That said, I do like the idea of not tying the base HP/Stamina meters to specific perk stats. Perhaps on any given level you can pick one to increase by +1, letting you specialize further (long distance runner or hardcore miner but unable to take as many blows, for example). Or tie them to ALL the stats, and every point put into a base stat will give you +5 to your choice of HP or Stamina. I wouldn't know how to balance it off-hand, but if the goal of experimenting with perks is to get the player to specialize more, I feel like this would work well to contribute to that.

Yeah, that's what it was. I actually liked wellness. What were the reasons for removing it? To keep people from just sitting around spam eating food to raise wellness?

Wellness was easily the biggest motivator for me to try and not die in A16 when I played. I wanted that max health. Lol.

I think that the reason wellness was removed is the same reason LBD was removed: it didn't fit with the vision MM had for the game.

To me, the idea behind the new perk system is to force you to choose a play style over another.

And investing points in you max health/stamina is a path as well.

Do you want to have max health and take damage like a tank or max stamina so you can run when in a pinch?

Is this more important to you than crafting advanced recipes?

Or maybe you prefer to be a gardener and self-sustain?

I guess this is to stress the importance of the choice you make regarding your points.

I think that the reason wellness was removed is the same reason LBD was removed: it didn't fit with the vision MM had for the game.

It was extremely gamey (sitting naked in a snow biome to get hungry faster) and it punished you in the mid range but practically not at all at the very high or low end.

That was... not good.

Yeah, that's what it was. I actually liked wellness. What were the reasons for removing it? To keep people from just sitting around spam eating food to raise wellness?

Wellness was easily the biggest motivator for me to try and not die in A16 when I played. I wanted that max health. Lol.

Agreed and also the single biggest motivator for cooking quality food like stews. Now I couldn't care less. I'll just eat boiled eggs. There is no motivation to make anything more complex.

It was extremely gamey (sitting naked in a snow biome to get hungry faster) and it punished you in the mid range but practically not at all at the very high or low end.

That was... not good.

Maybe that's why I never achieved max wellness...because I just played the game instead of trying to game the game. I wouldn't have even thought of something so grindy. I'm beginning to resent PvP players for how many fun things have been removed from this game.

That was... not good.

You would think that sitting naked in the snow would lower your wellness. It's an easy fix. Also disease debuffs and such would play nicely with wellness too.

One change I would love to see in A18 (or even A17) would be the ability to reload while looking down sights.

I haven't tested this out with all weapons, but I know at least while using the pistol, if you're looking down the sights (aka zooming in) and you hit the reload key, nothing happens, you need to unzoom, reload, then rezoom.

One change I would love to see in A18 (or even A17) would be the ability to reload while looking down sights.

I haven't tested this out with all weapons, but I know at least while using the pistol, if you're looking down the sights (aka zooming in) and you hit the reload key, nothing happens, you need to unzoom, reload, then rezoom.

You reload while zoomed in. You have to give it time to actually reload. It just plays the animation again when you zoom out which is in the known bugs.

LOL. I have faith that you *can* fix a lot of things considering the game you have created here.

That is somewhat disconnected from actually doing so - IOW seeing it as an issue in the first place. I would have though it would have been addressed when the bonus resource bug was fixed. That it was not makes me wonder if it is seen as something that even needs to be fixed. Its minor of course but bothersome for some reason.

There is a ticket for it, so it will get fixed.

Which Conan game? Exiles or Unconquered?

Exiles. Its kind of fun at first but I feel like you lose purpose once you get a sword and some food and a little shack. The upgrades seem weird like there are way too many building sets. Its not like Ark and 7 Days where you feel a more strong purpose to do things and get set up. I need to play it some more. The third person anims are nice, but it feels like Skyrim if you took away the quests, or Ark without dinos that want to kill you at ever turn. I think its important to place some urgency on the player. My first impressions are rarely good though, I often semi dislike a game the first 3-4 hours then get hooked. This one feels the opposite though, I was having a lot of fun the first 3-4 hours now I don't have much purpose to keep going.

Yes I think its going to be enough for most the guys who used to like A16 to be back on board.

Archived