Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes I would like it if weather carried over to other biomes as well. When I play. It seems to rain a lot in the burnt forest biome and almost never in the pine forest biome.

I would love it if we had more thunderstorms in the game to. Seems that the only time I hear thunder is on the night of the red moon.

There used to be. Weather is fubar and should get fixed in A19.

I also remember that for a short time, that some weapons and armor at a trader had preinstalled mods too. I wish that came back.

It might, It was another freaky balance issue that caught us off guard so we disabled it for now.

I also remember that for a short time, that some weapons and armor at a trader had preinstalled mods too. I wish that came back.

no matter the item, its the random element that makes exploration and looting fun and exciting. if i only have 1 static version to find, once i find it, the excitement of looting is over. all other clones are merch or salvage (where i have other better options for both)

I like this idea for the weather aspect but I also like having those areas with different resources and vegetation. How would that work?

I think I've got how this works. In a very primitive form there is a base precipitation rate, for the sake of simplicity we'll go with low, medium and high.

Low precipitation -

----Desert: No rain, probably very hot.

----Forest: No rain, warm.

----Snow: No snow or rain, probably just cold.

Medium precipitation -

----Desert: No rain, probably warm.

----Forest: Light rain, cool.

----Snow: Light snow, probably very cold.

High precipitation -

----Desert: Light rain, probably warm.

----Forest: Heavy rain, cold.

----Snow: Heavy snow, probably freezing.

The resources and vegetation can stay the same for each biome but this brings a universal weather system to the world.

You can craft blue with att 10 and rank 5 of the specific gun perk. Top tier weapons the same but you need a schematic for those.

Sounds good. So, tiers 1 to 5, you can craft by raising your attributes and perks. Tier 6 you can craft by raising your attributes and perks plus you have to read the schematic for it. And there's legendary weapons (pink?), which can only be found in loot?

A19 might see proper radiated game play and we would delete biomes before adding any more. To me its rather immersion breaking changing biomes too frequently. I hope to have a global precipitation system for A19 right now you can just leave the biome and avoid the weather and its kind of immersion breaking its raining in one biome and not the other. It would snow in the snow biome.

i always had a wish that there were actual seasons. like so many days are winter where crops won't grow, rainy season where crops can get flooded if you don't have a good irrigation system, heat season (force you to avoid the desert, and water plants enough so stock up on water)

those to me make a more hardcore element to it

Sounds good. So, tiers 1 to 5, you can craft by raising your attributes and perks. Tier 6 you can craft by raising your attributes and perks plus you have to read the schematic for it. And there's legendary weapons (pink?), which can only be found in loot?

Tier 6 is never craftable, period. You can craft say a blunderbuss with no perks because it is a tier 1 shotgun. Once you buy rank 1 of shotgun messiah you can craft faulty shotguns, and get a permanent recipe for double barrel shotguns. If you happen to find a pump shotgun schematic, you can craft a faulty one. Buy more perk ranks to craft up to blue T5. Pink T6 is find and buy only and never craftable.

i always had a wish that there were actual seasons. like so many days are winter where crops won't grow, rainy season where crops can get flooded if you don't have a good irrigation system, heat season (force you to avoid the desert, and water plants enough so stock up on water)

those to me make a more hardcore element to it

Noob joins server in the middle of winter, freezes to death, rage quits, 0 out 10, wouldn't recommend.

No, that is a huge feature to pull off and adds literally zero value to average customers. I'd rather just have a rwg mixer you can say its all winter and play that for hardcore survival.

I imagine you would say that, it sounds really hard now that i think of

Tier 6 is never craftable, period. You can craft say a blunderbuss with no perks because it is a tier 1 shotgun. Once you buy rank 1 of shotgun messiah you can craft faulty shotguns, and get a permanent recipe for double barrel shotguns. If you happen to find a pump shotgun schematic, you can craft a faulty one. Buy more perk ranks to craft up to blue T5. Pink T6 is find and buy only and never craftable.

Just making sure, when you say tier, you are referring to item type (i.e. smg vs Ak-47) as opposed to quality (i.e. orange vs green), right?

A19 might see proper radiated game play and we would delete biomes before adding any more. To me its rather immersion breaking changing biomes too frequently. I hope to have a global precipitation system for A19 right now you can just leave the biome and avoid the weather and its kind of immersion breaking its raining in one biome and not the other. It would snow in the snow biome.

I don't know about that. I remember numerous times where it was raining on our house and yet right across the street at the same time it was sunny and not a drop of rain.

I'm not sure how a global precipitation system influences resources or vegetation?

ok, my point is about other characteristics of the biomes, like desert having next to no trees but instead a few cactus, forest and snow being different.. when you talk about removing biomes are u talking only about the weather? would there be changes in how those "scenarios" appear and merge around the map?

that's it, English is not my main language

Would be nice to have severe weather, such as a blizzard, hurricane, sandstorm or scifi like the radiated storm in Stalker.

There could be a warning popping up some time before, and players need to find shelter during the weather, else they can take serious damage.

(Its should not happen at gamestart or just before horde-night of course)

I don't know about that. I remember numerous times where it was raining on our house and yet right across the street at the same time it was sunny and not a drop of rain.

Then you go another 10 feet and its raining again. My point is say you have 3 or maybe even 4 intersecting biomes its kind of immersion breaking to change spectrums and its suddenly not raining by leaving that biome. I'd rather the rain make it colder and there is no way out of it. The whole server should be talking about the ♥♥♥♥ty weather not one guy in one biome. From a survival standpoint if rain makes it colder then its better game play if there are no real known ways to escape that.

Then you go another 10 feet and its raining again. My point is say you have 3 or maybe even 4 intersecting biomes its kind of immersion breaking to change spectrums and its suddenly not raining by leaving that biome. I'd rather the rain make it colder and there is no way out of it. The whole server should be talking about the ♥♥♥♥ty weather not one guy in one biome. From a survival standpoint if rain makes it colder then its better game play if there are no real known ways to escape that.

Is it still possible to have that many intersecting biomes? I think it was 17.1 where the RWG made it where only certain biomes would be next to certain biomes... so I assumed that was the general goal.

Noob joins server in the middle of winter, freezes to death, rage quits, 0 out 10, wouldn't recommend.

Noob joins serve:

Much like the the newbie coat buff that gets applied which negates weather effects, they also get equipped with ratty used clothing, still has the cold dampening effect but the durability is such that it's ready to fall off with the next few hit of an enemy entity.

In turn it still requires them to make the grass fiber version in the beginner quest.

Noob has a chance as much as they do currently, but whatever.. Im happy hearing that we are getting a global precipitation system. :)

wouldn't it clearly say what season it was? or maybe give newbs an immunity to seasonal tempratures for 2 hours. easy fixins for a good challenge rating

There is a book you can find that will let you craft diamond tipped mod that adds massive durability to tools.

Plus some DPS...

Amiright? :)

My poor quality pink dyed diamond tipped stone axe is going to be boss. How about letting us name our gear?

How about a moving low resolution perlin noise layer to simulate cloud density? The denser the simulated cloud, the more it rains on that particular area.

That would give you weather fronts moving across the map and, if you use 3d perlin, you can have the rain get thinner and denser more naturally as it traverses the map.

Add in a cloud texture to visually display this and you could have people on one side of the map warning people on the other side about harsh weather fronts moving in.

It might, It was another freaky balance issue that caught us off guard so we disabled it for now.

A way to balance I suppose perhaps only has like 1 or 2 items at a trader preinstalled with mods. Or have them locked to the secret stash of a trader but again only, having a limited amount that is stocked. As well as increasing the buy price for them being static and not affected by perks. I also think, that having if a trader were to stock an item with pre-installed mods, it could have a separate restock timer independent of the trader. So, for example, I could go to a trader and see that he has a pistol with a preinstalled, silencer, the time for a new item to replace that could be set to 30 days or somesuch.

Archived