Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Hate the idea of random stats on guns. This is, so far, NOT a dungeon crawler where my the point is to repeat the same looting sequence until I get that one piece of gear. Please do not make it so.

The random stat would have to be low enough to not make a weapon better than one of a higher quality. So for example if the stat were damage, the bonus probably would be between 0 and 5 (where another installed mod in a better-quality weapon would add 6 damage).

NOW, the decision if you hunt for the best weapon with such a small difference is completely up to you. The penalty for ignoring it is on average 2.5 points of damage per gun. If you are that compulsive that you need the help of TFP to ignore it, you might need psychological help :cocksure:

@MadMole:

For a18 are we getting more biomes again? We lost a lot of diversity when they were consolidated to the a17 versions. When you consolodated them, we ended up with a lot more wasteland as a result.

I'd like to see radiation zones with working radiation gear and increased quality loot chances (and maybe a higher irradiated possibility) Pine Forests at higher elevations (like in real life) and maybe Swamp around larger bodies of water.

RWG is the meat and potatoes of high play hour gameplay, and with so few biomes in a17, things got a bit too "same-ish".

I was never a big fan of the plains biome, but consolidating so many diverse ones into so few was a big step backwards in diversity and exploration for uniqueness. Swamps could have cypress and cypress knees, and also return of the old crickey/frog sounds.

Hopefully the limited number of biomes was just a placeholder for a higher biome number and return to more diverse biomes in a18.

Random stat on looted guns would add to the fun of scavenging immeasurably
Hate the idea of random stats on guns. This is, so far, NOT a dungeon crawler where my the point is to repeat the same looting sequence until I get that one piece of gear. Please do not make it so.

Yah, we'll get on that right away. The question is which one. LOL

I agree with in principal but the problem is most mods become kind of lame because everyone wants more DPS.

So, in principle you agree that by changing an integral game system you have to make suboptimal choices because the playerbase did not want that change? I suppose several larger streamers and their view bases definitely agree with that.

So, in principle you agree that by changing an integral game system you have to make suboptimal choices because the playerbase did not want that change? I suppose several larger streamers and their view bases definitely agree with that.

I disagree

What suboptimal choice is being made? If every mod adds to the damage of the gun in addition to adding a special effect then every mod is useful even if you don't particularly care about the special effect because DPS is of interest to everyone. The only problem right now is that guns are being found and/or crafted that have more slots than the mods we have available to put into them-- but that will change.

In A18 you will only be able to craft up to a certain level of quality and you will only be able to craft lower class weapons. So being able to craft an SMG up to poor quality will make finding a good quality SMG a happy event since you can't craft one and there will be more mods so you'll be able to fill those slots and have an SMG that is more powerful damage-wise than the one you crafted could ever be. In addition, finding an AK-47 will be a more powerful base weapon than the SMG and since you won't be able to craft an AK-47 at all that will be a really exciting find.

Making the quality level add damage and the mods add damage would be too OP. taking the damage off the mods and keeping it with the base weapon would make the mods less exciting and many would be seen as completely useless by those who don't particularly care about the effect they give. Keeping the damage increase on the mods means every mod is useful in a way that is important to the player and with the re-organization of weapons and changing which are craftable and which are not and at which quality-- that will return the fun of scavenging for weapons. And once we have more mods in our storage chests when we do find that gun with 6 mod slots we will be very excited to run back to base and plug all those slots in and watch that damage value go up and up and up and up and up and up.

If anything, I think there should be a weighted random damage range applied to the mods instead of the base weapons. I like what Madmole said about possibly making the base weapons more of a rare loot find and making the mods more common.

@MadMole:

For a18 are we getting more biomes again? We lost a lot of diversity when they were consolidated to the a17 versions. When you consolodated them, we ended up with a lot more wasteland as a result.

I'd like to see radiation zones with working radiation gear and increased quality loot chances (and maybe a higher irradiated possibility) Pine Forests at higher elevations (like in real life) and maybe Swamp around larger bodies of water.

RWG is the meat and potatoes of high play hour gameplay, and with so few biomes in a17, things got a bit too "same-ish".

I was never a big fan of the plains biome, but consolidating so many diverse ones into so few was a big step backwards in diversity and exploration for uniqueness. Swamps could have cypress and cypress knees, and also return of the old crickey/frog sounds.

Hopefully the limited number of biomes was just a placeholder for a higher biome number and return to more diverse biomes in a18.

A19 might see proper radiated game play and we would delete biomes before adding any more. To me its rather immersion breaking changing biomes too frequently. I hope to have a global precipitation system for A19 right now you can just leave the biome and avoid the weather and its kind of immersion breaking its raining in one biome and not the other. It would snow in the snow biome.

I was never behind that design. I inherited it though and intend to make it awesome.

How bout..

Looted weapons = random stat + 5 mod slots

Crafted weapons = 6 mod slots

You won't be able to craft a weapon with more than 2 or 3 modslots since there will be a cap on what quality we will be able to craft. I'm not exactly sure what the highest allowed quality tier will be for crafting but it won't be tier 5 or 6 for sure.

A19 might see proper radiated game play and we would delete biomes before adding any more. To me its rather immersion breaking changing biomes too frequently. I hope to have a global precipitation system for A19 right now you can just leave the biome and avoid the weather and its kind of immersion breaking its raining in one biome and not the other. It would snow in the snow biome.

This would be a cool idea, maybe even seasons could be added, 1 season = 4 weeks? starts with Fall-Winter-Spring-Summer(really hot).

You won't be able to craft a weapon with more than 2 or 3 modslots since there will be a cap on what quality we will be able to craft. I'm not exactly sure what the highest allowed quality tier will be for crafting but it won't be tier 5 or 6 for sure.

you are an evil man. you tease us with T6 craftable with 5 slots and now you take them away?! - "S/hes a witch!"

you are an evil man. you tease us with T6 craftable with 5 slots and now you take them away?! - "S/hes a witch!"

What? You were teased with a T6 6 slot findable. When did I say you could craft a T6 with 5 slots? Gazz said a T6 wrench could disarm mines but that's just moving in on another man's running gag.

Not denying any witchcraft, btw.

I've always hoped the radiated zone would be a end game zone with nice goodies and epic baddies that you couldn't enter until you got a full rad suit from a series of quests.

Yes I would like it if weather carried over to other biomes as well. When I play. It seems to rain a lot in the burnt forest biome and almost never in the pine forest biome.

I would love it if we had more thunderstorms in the game to. Seems that the only time I hear thunder is on the night of the red moon.

I like this idea for the weather aspect but I also like having those areas with different resources and vegetation. How would that work?

Seems to me that if found guns could have the possibility of 1-2 random mods already installed, that would give all the variety in guns that you would need. Crafted guns would always be empty of mods of course so there is your bottom of the stat range.

There was a short time when guns that were looted had a mod pre-installed and that was pretty exciting.

I also remember that for a short time, that some weapons and armor at a trader had preinstalled mods too. I wish that came back.

You can craft blue with att 10 and rank 5 of the specific gun perk. Top tier weapons the same but you need a schematic for those.

This would be a cool idea, maybe even seasons could be added, 1 season = 4 weeks? starts with Fall-Winter-Spring-Summer(really hot).

No, that is a huge feature to pull off and adds literally zero value to average customers. I'd rather just have a rwg mixer you can say its all winter and play that for hardcore survival.

@Madmole are we going to see more uses for diamonds/gold/silver since the books will be adding a chance when mining to find them? Or will they stay primarily for dukes?

There is a book you can find that will let you craft diamond tipped mod that adds massive durability to tools.

I've always hoped the radiated zone would be a end game zone with nice goodies and epic baddies that you couldn't enter until you got a full rad suit from a series of quests.

Thats the plan-ish. It would raise the GS significantly.

Archived