Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

so I think my next play through I'm not using vending machines as a food source. it has made cooking useless since canned food has no risk of food poisoning and I've found myself just using the camp fire for elixirs.

I'm not asking for a nerf to vending machines as I view this as a single player issue and for multi player the canned food can be a massive life saver.

maybe if the chef perk lowered the resource cost when cooking instead of speeding up the cooking? kinda how I think the advanced engineering lowers the forge resource cost?

I want to delete the cheerleader and football player, they are mostly immersion breaking and use that precious vram space for some more generic ones or these special blood moon zombies. Faatal was talking about some ways to add many more zombies too so these guys could help fill out those ranks. Kind of like the latest seasons of the walking dead they are more skeletal and hard to distinguish we could make a few variants and have a whole horde of these and it would look fine.

This sounds fantastic. I hope it works out.

It’s really not. This game is whatever you make of it. Asking for a nerf because you got the luckiest of luckiest RNG rolls is dumb. Random is random. If you’d said my last three games all the crafting areas were working at the trader, I’d agree you may have a point.

I understand this point, and I agree to an extent, but there should be limits.

An example is, in general and as we know, loot is randomized.... so now let's say someone plays the game for the first time and on day one, got lucky and found a single crate with a level 6 max stats M60, AK, Magnum, pickaxe, steel axe, and stacks of bullets.

It would be too much and this why there are things in place to make sure it doesn't happen.

The same goes for having the possibility of finding all 4 working stations at a single trader. It's too much of a game changer.

I want to delete the cheerleader and football player, they are mostly immersion breaking and use that precious vram space for some more generic ones or these special blood moon zombies. Faatal was talking about some ways to add many more zombies too so these guys could help fill out those ranks. Kind of like the latest seasons of the walking dead they are more skeletal and hard to distinguish we could make a few variants and have a whole horde of these and it would look fine.

A SMALL price to pay for moo zombies

An example is, in general and as we know, loot is randomized. Let's say someone plays the game for the first time and on day one, got lucky and found a single crate with a level 6 max stats M60, AK, Magnum, pickaxe, steel axe, and stacks of bullets.

It would be too much and this why there are things in place to make sure it doesn't happen.

The same goes for having the possibility of finding all 4 working stations at a single trader. It's too much of a game changer.

I think players forget that random does not mean its 100% random. Its random within the confines set by the coding. The fact you have to point this out to him just goes to show the ignorance of some people. Props man you have been spittin' some wisdom up in here this evening. :)

An example is, in general and as we know, loot is randomized.... so now let's say someone plays the game for the first time and on day one, got lucky and found a single crate with a level 6 max stats M60, AK, Magnum, pickaxe, steel axe, and stacks of bullets.

256 shades of grey.

I suppose this is why we can't have nice things.

And also why i like the experimental releases more then stable, since the new stuff ain't (always) nerfed into oblivion.

I'm not a fan of small biomes, its very immersion breaking.

@MadMole:

Day 46, and I still haven't seen desert OR snow! Maybe a little smaller??

Question: Shouldn't Appearance Modifier mods (like the baseball cap) go into the appearance slot, and not a mod slot? (Maybe there needs to be two of those, one for color and one for style?

Also, shouldn't a tier 4 item have 3 slots, or are slots also somewhat random now as well?

On my i6700 and new msi rtx 2060 z, I'm getting good fps on 1080p max with dof and motion blur off... for about 2 hours.. then outside framerate drops into teens. I close and retstart, and fps is back up there again.. so something is going on that piles up and comes to a head in 2 hours of play or so.

I don't recall being able to open the map while on a vehicle, but I like it!

@MadMole:

Question: Shouldn't Appearance Modifier mods (like the baseball cap) go into the appearance slot, and not a mod slot? (Maybe there needs to be two of those, one for color and one for style?

Also, shouldn't a tier 4 item have 3 slots, or are slots also somewhat random now as well?

On my i6700 and new msi rtx 2060 z, I'm getting good fps on 1080p max with dof and motion blur off... for about 2 hours.. then outside framerate drops into teens. I close and retstart, and fps is back up there again.. so something is going on that piles up and comes to a head in 2 hours of play or so.

sounds a lot like memory leakage.....hm....easy fix if they can identify the source of leakage.

Its already in the game. Look at kill streak for deadeye, and clubs after you get x hits you do more damage, etc.

I think he meant something like kill 10 zeds with sledgehammer to fill up the “special ability ui bar” (which you can save or press a button to use said special ability), for example, a whirlwind attack. Each weapon tier could have a different ability or random altogether (even on clothing and armour). This could expand build diversity further.

Loc

Very weird.

I had thew same thing, no secret stash after the update with some traders. Looks like as from A17.4 secret stash was the same for different players and when items word bought other players also noticed them being no longer available.

Also noticed that some of the categories of different traders showed the same items in those categories.

Oh, the motorcycle needs some hill climbing capability... it feels like trying to drive the minibike uphill, and it should handle inclines fine.

The bicycle is the best at the moment :D

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen up to 5, but heard rumors of only 1 are possible, but that was a few weeks ago before some fixes were made. Drive down every dirt road you find to uncover them.

We have 8 traders on a 6K map

Just an idea. It would be cool if lockpicks could be used on doors as well. Kind of hard to do a stealth playthrough while beating down doors.

Not sure if it's been suggested or responded to before.

Just as long as landclaim blocks can prevent it. We already have enough issues with people finding ways around LCB protection on my PvE server (using explosives to break landclaimed blocks, using gyrocopter to access the roof, etc.)

Just an idea. It would be cool if lockpicks could be used on doors as well. Kind of hard to do a stealth playthrough while beating down doors.

Not sure if it's been suggested or responded to before.

I'd like to, but level design would need to set many of them to jammed so maybe down the road.

@MadMole:

No because the cowboy hat mod has massive insulation. If it was purely cosmetic it would go to the cosmetic. Its to allow full protection against the element and to look how you want. The thermal lining is only like +2 a skullcap is +10.

No we wanted tier 5 to have 3 and tier 6 to have 4.

I think he meant something like kill 10 zeds with sledgehammer to fill up the “special ability ui bar” (which you can save or press a button to use said special ability), for example, a whirlwind attack. Each weapon tier could have a different ability or random altogether (even on clothing and armour). This could expand build diversity further.

Loc

No difference.

DOes it take anyone else up to 20 minutes just to start an 8k random gen map?

Used to take like 3-5 minutes in A17 when generating the map....

I noticed that running the visitmap command on my server seems to go much quicker now than it did in a17 (and don't get me started on how long it took in a16), so I'm assuming that the world gen is doing even more of the heavy lifting than it was before.

Archived