Farming.

Kattla

The day I find a hoe is the day I plug a point into Living off the Land and start my farm. :) It gives me peace of my mind to know that I always will have food. (It's not particularly necessary. I loathe using vending machines. They feel cheap to me.)

I farm so while I'm out scavenging I can have a stack of aloe leaves with me. You can make a stack of first aid bandages as you need them with just one stack of leaves and looted cloth, instead of bringing several stacks of crafted bandages and clogging my inventory.

The food is a plus too.

Farming allows more then just food.

Alkohol, coffee, beer all are buff items that farm allows you to get in abundance.

High end cooking also requires farm as you won't get enough ingredients for awesome stuff other way.

True..but you can get many of those items out of a vending machine or from trader. The cook times are rather high on some of the high-end foods as well.

Trader and Vending machines just have too much food. I'm of the mind that vending machines shouldn't even exist in such mass quantities with fast restock times in a survival game..food certainly shouldn't be so cheap.

If you can pretend the vending machines don't exist and avoid them, you could make a case for a need for a farm. Otherwise, farming like many of the mechanics in this game are just addons and not something you need to do to progress.

Don't think i done any serious farming in A17. Getting the food

i need from vending machines. Or traders. Is it R.I.P.

farming or do you guys and gals still do it?

I have a 10x20 garden that I harvest regularly. The content of the vending machines is random and I don't like to rely on something that is random. My garden reliably provides me with food in more than adequate amount so that I am not dependent on the vending machines.

The only things I buy regularly from the vending machines are meat, eggs and Sham Chowder.

I like the convenience and the reliability.

Convenience in the sense that you can quickly gather a lot of an ingredient you want to stockpile. When I rely on bringing home small amounts of like chrysanthemum when I'm out scavenging, I find that I often have to through it out in favor of something like mechanical parts or some other rare loot item. Leaving small amounts of edible and other farm items in boxes strewn around the county.

And reliable in the sense that you know your harvest will be there. Sometimes the traders and vending machines don't stock a particular item for pretty long times.

That said I do think the trader and vending machines have too large a supply of edibles now. The numbers could easily be cut in half or less.

I still farm because I think it's fun.

Also, I expect we'll see some tweaking and balancing in the future.

TFP seems to be doing the pendulum thing as far as testing goes.

They tweak something way on one side then the other and see where people want the middle to be, kinda thing.

At least it seems that way.

Also, it's a good way to test and tweak stuff. I think it's brilliant.

Between vending machines, traders who also sell food, animals, looted food- no, farms are not very useful or important.

More uses for plant fiber would help, as would NPC survivors you need to feed to keep alive and offer services like trading, guarding, repairing, scavenging.

Food spoilage could help too- until we get ways to preserve.

Selling crops could also be a way to help farming matter- but the easy quests give all the dukes you'd ever need. (play a game with no quests and see how it goes- I bet it could be fun, beer sells for a lot)

I love to farm in survival games, but sadly there just hasn't been a reason to here on standard play unless you play with a large group of hungry friends.

I assume the pimps are all to aware of these things, and things will change in the future.

With a few minor exceptions, I like what TFT has done with the farming in A17. I farm because I enjoy the whole process of growing raw ingredients and then making useful stuff out of them.

I also like the fact that it is not mandatory, so should I decide to go all nomad, I have that option.

My only minor gripe is gathering process. I wish there was another way to harvest rather than hit plants with something.

Never used the vending machines ever ..who in a zombie apocalypse would be putting these out and how do they power them??

They would be robbed and smashed first day outl ol

Traders ive used once or so just to see how it worked and not in a play through game

I've been playing a 'no spending perk points' game, I've been getting along just fine with food, lots of animals and eggs for my charred meat and boiled eggs. I've found a living off the land magazine and a master chef magazine so I've started looking for lots of crops so that I can eventually make seeds, then after a dozen hours or so I'll read the master chef magazine to cook some filling meals with my farmed crops.

With the 17.1 update I can now make a bicycle and minibike without the perks! Just have to loot the pieces.

I'd like to see vending machines (a) only have canned goods and (b) never restock. Once they're empty, wrench 'em for parts! Maybe have different vending machines at a trader's that restock periodically, but still they should only have canned goods. None of the prepared foods that require perks to make should be available in the vending machines. You want sham chowder? Learn how to make it.

Doing this would make farming much more viable, but people could still get by without it. (Just like many other perks.)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the higher level perk description mentions growing "mutated seeds." Does anyone know what those are or what they grow?

Jesus. If you're not farming you're a nutcase.

I have 40 aloe, 10 yucca, 5 goldenrod, 10 coffee at a minimum ASAP.

This means I never ever have to go to the desert just to get yucca for yucca juice (best drink for hydration), I've always got goldenrod and coffee (two must-haves for smart folks) and then later when you're brewing your own good stuff you've got what you need. and supercorn. If you don't know what supercorn is you're also missing out on one of the best resources in the game.

Also, the higher level perk description mentions growing "mutated seeds." Does anyone know what those are or what they grow?

You can grow Super Corn. But to get Super Corn you have to find Bobs Boars and harvest the corn plants inside the building.

And by the way, tell Grace I said hello when you get there ;)

Archived