Feedback for The Fun Pimps on Alpha 17

firstedition

It wasn't meant as a strawman; it was meant as an absurdism. I thought it was at least as absurd as "dig a hole and be safe" (which I did not take to mean a significant base far underground). And the back-and-forth was (I thought) couched in the realm of what should be allowed because it is a "sandbox" game. My only point being (again) that sandbox does not mean limitless freedom. Hell, a sandbox is a bounded play area. TFP is still defining the boundaries of their box. After that, the players can go crazy within those bounds.

Also, your suggestion of an alternative mode where anything goes...I've said that one before, and I stand by it.

Of course it is absurd. Why don't you just link them the game's description and be done with it. Steam tags are being "voted" by users after all. And the main reason sandbox is one of them is because of the voxel part of the game.

7 Days to Die is an open-world game that is a unique combination of first person shooter, survival horror, tower defense, and role-playing games.

And even if "sandbox" was in the game's description, is it so damn hard to understand that it must co-exist/combined with the other 3-4 genres that also are in the game's description? Why are some of you selectively choosing to see only what you want (the sandbox part)? A safe place on demand would obviously throw tower defense and survival out of the window AKA make it pointless, without incentives. Let's not circlejerk on the same ol' stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, they could emulate the depth gating that Subnatuica does with areas/biomes. Radiation biome requires rad suit. Toxic gas biome requires special mask. The current gyrocopter could be a great gating mechanism, only with the gyrocopter could you fly over a particular area such as a lava river to reach the other side. How to make that work with RWG would be a challenge.

They definitely can emulate depth gating with areas and biomes in various different ways like you said. And I don't think it would be particularly complicated, but as simple as populating the world with POIs.

And even if "sandbox" was in the game's description, is it so damn hard to understand that it must co-exist/combined with the other 3-4 genres that also are in the game's description? Why are some of you selectively choosing to see only what you want (the sandbox part)? A safe place on demand would obviously throw tower defense and survival out of the window AKA make it pointless, without incentives. Let's not circlejerk on the same ol' stuff.

A safe place would not make the other aspects pointless if it were implemented correctly. For example, you don't have the Tower Defense aspect in the game all the time but only during the Blood Moon Horde.

You could make it so that the zombies don't hear you if you are more than 5m below ground. But since they always know where you are during the Horde, this limitation doesn't matter during the Blood Moon Night.

The survival aspect of the game wouldn't even need any enemies. Survival can also mean getting clothes, food, water and protection from the elements. You could do a whole survival game without even one enemy.

A safe place would only provide protection from the elements and enemies. For anything else, you would have to go back to the surface and face the dangers.

Why don't you just link them the game's description and be done with it.

And even if "sandbox" was in the game's description, is it so damn hard to understand that it must co-exist/combined with the other 3-4 genres that also are in the game's description?

I'll try your suggestion, but you answered why it will be ineffective with your question here. They just don't understand. I'm trying to aid in their understanding (though it seems to be a losing battle).

A safe place would not make the other aspects pointless if it were implemented correctly. For example, you don't have the Tower Defense aspect in the game all the time but only during the Blood Moon Horde.

That's true, they certainly wouldn't be made pointless if they were necessary when it mattered most. Still, enemies above ground on non-horde nights, the wandering hordes, the screamers etc that bump onto your base, aren't something to be ignored or skipped so casually and are a part of the intended experience. Personally, I love building below ground but I find it terribly boring. I would though, prefer a dynamic environmental danger below ground instead of digging zombies for a change of pace in gameplay. It would make for a more interesting/different choice when choosing how to survive.

Survival can happen without enemies yes - it doesn't though in mid/late game here. More resource sinks are needed - like spoilage.

It wasn't meant as a strawman; it was meant as an absurdism. I thought it was at least as absurd as "dig a hole and be safe" (which I did not take to mean a significant base far underground). And the back-and-forth was (I thought) couched in the realm of what should be allowed because it is a "sandbox" game. My only point being (again) that sandbox does not mean limitless freedom. Hell, a sandbox is a bounded play area. TFP is still defining the boundaries of their box. After that, the players can go crazy within those bounds.

Also, your suggestion of an alternative mode where anything goes...I've said that one before, and I stand by it.

So, you are personally against hiding underground or are you merely explaining what TFP's thoughts on it are? If it's the former, that's fine we all have opinions and don't have to agree. If it's the latter, I don't think you need to explain the game direction. In my own case I understand it and just commenting on my opinion of it. This is the point of people giving feedback to say if they like or dislike it.

A sandbox game means whatever the game developers say it means. Trying to influence or change their minds is fair game in my opinion.

A sandbox game means whatever the game developers say it means. Trying to influence or change their minds is fair game in my opinion.

HungryZombie, you are one of the more intelligent people on this forum, particularly in your ability to see and understand nuance. I can get behind your statement here; and it is a far cry from what others are arguing. They have taken a definition of "sandbox" and said that TFP has violated that definition. If they would see the truth of this, I would have no problems. State your opinion, state what you want, present reasons for why what you want is good and worthwhile for the game. Don't say that TFP is mean or anti-sandbox because something they put in the game inhibits your ability to do what you want. Ahem:

I am also in complete agreement about the sandbox nature of the game. If people want to dig a hole and never see a zombie, that's their business. Adding diggers and similar exploit-hosers seems petty and mean-spirited.

Like I said to RestInPieces: Some of them still need to be taught.

That's true, they certainly wouldn't be made pointless if they were necessary when it mattered most. Still, enemies above ground on non-horde nights, the wandering hordes, the screamers etc that bump onto your base, aren't something to be ignored or skipped so casually and are a part of the intended experience. Personally, I love building below ground but I find it terribly boring. I would though, prefer a dynamic environmental danger below ground instead of digging zombies for a change of pace in gameplay. It would make for a more interesting/different choice when choosing how to survive.

Survival can happen without enemies yes - it doesn't though in mid/late game here. More resource sinks are needed - like spoilage.

I currently have a base on the surface and don't really have any problems with wandering hordes or screamers. They mostly run into my spikes without me noticing much of it. But I am thinking if I will build a base in the underground again or maybe both together so that I have a part of the base on the surface and a part underneath to use the space better.

An advantage of underground bases for me has always been that I didn't have to worry about a wandering horde taking a shortcut through my storage while I'm away.

And it's not like I avoided the wandering hordes. Most of the time I even ran after them when I noticed that they were just passing by.

In addition, an underground base gave me the raw materials I needed to build it, and most of the time there was enough left for my horde base.

In other words, as per the description, this isn't a sandbox - like it isn't a survival, or a tower defense or an RPG. It has *combined* elements from all these genres. Combined is an important keyword that means that these elements are not "optional" or "separated" - they are supposed to work together. That is a fact for the base game, not really an opinion. Beyond that there are modes and mods for different tastes etc, blah blah #mod_it.

I currently have a base on the surface and don't really have any problems with wandering hordes or screamers. They mostly run into my spikes without me noticing much of it.

You did put spikes and worry about them though. They are hardly threatening, yes, especially on lower GS and difficulties but they do offer some threat. As I said, I like building underground myself - the only thing that deterred me was its uneventfulness. I would prefer a different kind of threat than normal enemies though.

In other words, as per the description, this isn't a sandbox - like it isn't a survival, or a tower defense or an RPG. It has *combined* elements from all these genres. Combined is an important keyword that means that these elements are not "optional" or "separated" - they are supposed to work together. That is a fact for the base game, not really an opinion. Beyond that there are modes and mods for different tastes etc.

That's what really makes this game so unique and enjoyable for me. It's not hardcore survival, or hardcore FPS shoot'em up or whatever. It's a blend. The framework and atmosphere the game sets up is the main draw that has me playing this for 1000's of hours and whatever rules and constraints the developers make are just things to deal with and endure. Some are better than others but so far nothing has changed the basic atmosphere of the game for me.

The real gem is the game is so modable. Some of the overhauls are really creative and make each play-though a totally different experience.

Jax's A16 scavenger mod turned the game into the closest to an ideal for me. Other people are going to hate it but the fact that it can be done is amazing to me.

You did put spikes and worry about them though. They are hardly threatening, yes, especially on lower GS and difficulties but they do offer some threat. As I said, I like building underground myself - the only thing that deterred me was its uneventfulness. I would prefer a different kind of threat than normal enemies though.

A few spikes are not yet a reliable defense for me. Especially if you consider the zombies' pathfinding. That's why I prefer to be overcautious about that.

If the game is not exciting enough for you, one possibility would be to go to a PvP server. There you have human opponents.

If I want a little variety then I do a quest from a trader. Since I always have green zombies in the houses now, the fight is much more challenging but of course the risk higher. The loot from the house is mostly not really worth the effort but I have the impression that the rewards in the 17.1 have become better.

If the game is not exciting enough for you, one possibility would be to go to a PvP server. There you have human opponents.

No kidding :p

Was strictly speaking about the uneventfulness of the underground, not the game in general. Always loved living underground, it's just that it got boring really fast because of the lack of any kind of threat and diminished survival needs by stockpiling. As for the different kind of threats underground, I was talking about different PvE threats - not a big fan of PvP, not of its current state at least.

Alpha 17 is boring...Exp grind? I don't understand.

:upset: I used to love crafting. I loved leveling my skills individually. It made sense that using a knife or club more leveled it's power. Y'know, the more you practice something the better you get at it. I liked feeling like I had to play all parts of the game to get somewhere...Now, you just grind exp and talk to a trader. That's not fun at all. Why these drastic changes? it's like you've progressively made the activities within the game worse/more boring. I've also noticed thing's like Yucca, Aloe, Vegetables, Berries etc aren't obtainable by hand anymore? Realistically, these thing's are gathered by hand and don't need a tool to chop down to receive. I haven't taken a look at bugs people are having but I'd HOPE this is, if not temporary. This game was my favorite. I have a potato PC and played with lag on low quality even though it was annoying or got me killed just because I had fun doing all the thing's you've remove/changed. I know everyone's opinion is different but 7 days kind of feels like a free korean MMO exp grind. I love the graphics changes and appreciate the hard work put into the game to make it run better but now I'm stuck with a beautiful game that actually runs well on my pc, looks good with mediocre settings but is boring as heck. :crushed:

I hear ya man. Alpha 17's perk system is definitely not everyones' cup of tea, it's not really mine either. Some like it, but many don't either.

I really hope that they either add an option to change the system somewhere, or decide to have some kind of merged system, or at the very least someone makes a mod to bring back LBD.

Suggestions - bugs - reviews - email me if I’m writing the wrong suggestions

!!! I am writing via Google translator, so keep in mind that the essence is reflected here

Messages will be written by importance, top to bottom

Did you wipe old saves? (/ No)

Did you start a new game? (Yes /)

Did you validate your files? (Yes /)

Are you using any mods? (yes - Russifier)

Eac off?

1. It is important - when killing a zombie with a rocket launcher, dynamite, bombs and a fiery cocktail, experience does not count. I think this is not a bug, but a game mechanic. But it is very disappointing that you are spending expensive ammunition, and do not get experience. What makes the game use other weapons that will give experience.

1.1. The same situation with traps. Traps do not give experience for killing zombies, although you also spend a huge amount of resources on traps. The game again makes sometimes abandon traps on a bloody night, and kill them by hand, from ak 47, or by other means. To gain experience

1.2. You can give for traps such as giving half the experience of a zombie. I think it would be fair. You didn’t seem to do anything to kill them, but didn’t do it. Make the collection of experience the same radius as the collection of group experience. There will be a balance

2. Cup icon (statistics, window 3) - it shows the damage of the weapon, or the tool that you hold in your hand. The same level of protection of the character.

Unfortunately the damage is written without mods. That is, the installed modes are not counted by the system in the display window. Example: pickax damage 50. Strength gives 10%. Miner skill gives 20%. And the staining mode gives 10%. It should be 70 (50 + 5 (10% from 50) + 10 (20% from 50) + 5 (10% from 50)), but only 65 displays. Not comfortable.

Protection is another problem. When skill leveling up is heavy or light armor, 10, 20 and so on are given% to the armor value. But it also does not appear in the statistics window. I propose either to add or to make a separate callout where this will be a buff

3. I noticed that in the cooperative mode, at least the torch deals damage to the allies

3.1. The problem with the sound of a magnum is for some reason the sound is very deaf, as if from a barrel, or a silencer is installed on it.

3.2. The problem with the animation of the crossbow. Visually, I can’t show it yet, but if I’m very interested, I’ll make a video. - The crossbow in the mode of aiming will independently reload, without the participation of hands. And it also shoots, without displaying a projectile.

3.3. I also think that the crossbow model with a sight is not a good one - when you install the mod of the sight, in the mode from the hip, the sight is not visible, for it is very far away. But I want to see the sight on the crossbow, when you hold it in your hands

4. The game was going to go into realism, but it turned out that because of many decisions, 16 alpha was more realistic than 17, at least in the system of perks (skills).

Attention I want to gather around physical skills first. Previously, for what you run, athletics pumped. For what you dig, mining skills. You shoot with a bow - please. With a pistol, there you are.

Now it turned into solid numbers.

You want to shoot better with a bow - kill zombies, dig a mine.

You want to run better - kill the zombies, dig the mine.

You want to increase your health - kill zombies, dig a mine. Get experience, rummage in this table to increase it all.

That is, pumping has become somehow static. Tabular.

It was possible to leave such skills that were pumped from 0 to 100, just to remove the ability to manually swing them, for points.

It is the same with health and stamina. I want some kind of live pumping of these two parameters. And not tsifernuyu. And make perks more unique.

Because to take skill with swimming? Who will take it, unless in the water endless deposits of safes, or ores? It will be pumped at the 300 level, when there is nothing left to pump.

I am 8 years old amateurishly, sometimes, but again 8 years old, sometimes a mechanic is involved in scripts, and so on. So you can write to me, I may even advise something specifically here.

5. Visualization of clothes. - Sometimes, I crafted steel steel armor, but because of bad weather, I have to wear a warm hooded sweater under it. But for some reason, the sweater is stretched over a steel plate, which is 4 times larger than it. So much so that the board is simply pulled down to the size of the suite. And the hood tightens the speznats' iron helmet, then the size of the skull.

This is to the fact that it is very strange. I want to really see under the coat, bib, and not a sweater. When you wear a bib. And why can't a helmet be displayed on top of a rag hood?

6. Unfortunately, I do not remember yet what I wanted to say. But here's something else:

Appeared in 16 alpha, and strongly embarrassed. Tsifernoe limit level, character.

I understand that when creating an interesting detail, the character does not have enough brains. And you have to pump the intellect. But to limit it to the level, because you are not worthy of it, because you have not lived enough days, it is strange. This is not an MMORPG game.

Just by getting the same bike, and then a moped, the game turns into a zombie farm, for the sake of a level that, in turn, for a skill that cannot be taken. Not a survival game.

I understand that when in version 15, in order to get some kind of cool skill on a miner, I had to dig more to get the pickaxe to level 30, or 40, and then I could get perks. But now it again became numbers. I now just endlessly need to dig stones, and go on quests. To get such a drill, to quickly dig the same stones.

As a crookedly re-aligned game priorities in the end.

7. Very annoying is the fact that I am a smith of near maximum level. Studied engineering, mechanics, etc. TD. I can not make the engine, but at the same time I can solder the chips, and the same generator.

Very strange. The same problem with batteries. AND!!! with a beaker (measuring cup) I found in the beginning of the game 1 beaker. And that's all. And it took a terrible amount of time that I had the second in the quest yesterday. And I can finally do the laboratory, and adequately prepare the warheads. It is very strange . Added a million skills and limitations. But such simple things, the character, being pumped, can not do himself.

8. They promised a good system of punishment for death. Injuries and diseases. As a result, for the game, I generally, apart from infection, and illness, did not see a single disease. Well, the maximum dislocation of the legs, but it's an injury.

The death buff is very weak, it is undesirable only if you are going to craft something. And so the motivation to survive is very small. Sometimes from death, on the contrary, hunger and thirst are restored.

The ideal solution would be to impose a variety of fractures and injuries. The same mild blindness, as with the obvodom from drugs. It would be less desire to die!

End. In conclusion, I want to say thank you for your attention. First of all, I would like the developers to pay attention to this, because the first point seems to me very important. Throwing away the experience is not very pleasant. Well, everything else

P.S.

I don’t know if it’s so conceived or not, but after a strong blow, the restoration of endurance is turned off. And sometimes it happens with weak blows.

P.SS

I have already managed today to develop part of the script, to change the balance of perks, as well as ready some realistic, and more relevant perks

Another thought that bothered me.

Building with stone is imba compared to building with iron or wood.

It was already favourable in Alpha 16, but Alpha 17 even more so;

You need clay to build flagstone/cobblestone, you no longer have to find clay, now all ground is considered clay.

Wood not used for building can now be sold at the trader.

Wood frames needs bench saw to make anything other than a few basic shapes.

Iron frames need forge.

Stone has no requirement to build any kind of shape, just cobblestone and dirt which you'd collect mining anyway or digging trenches.

Stone doesn't even use frames, just whack it down and it's done.

Flagstone upgraded to cobblestone only costs 14 cobblestone altogether and is stronger than all three wood levels and even level 1 iron block which is comparatively more work and resources.

The only real weakness of stone is right at the beginning of the game it's difficult to dig and you need 3 days or so first so your very initial shelter or house you squat in will be using wood to build/reinforce.

Also I had an idea the other day that maybe all the fresh meat and fresh cooked food we make should spoil over time to give a use to all the tinned food in the game as long lasting stored rations?

Bugs or need to be changed that i've found

Playing single Player

Did you start a new game? (Yes)

Did you validate your game files? (Yes)

Reloading a SP saved game ...All hatch doors are closed and need a double click to open them

Switches don't show red/Green on/Off until you reuse them

Business glass pane orientation is a joke trying to see the way its sitting to set in place

Jumping repeatedly on wood frame blocks to get higher has a great chance you'll get knocked off them

Hit box on most things is a nightmare ..trying to get back on motor bike etc.

But loving Alpha 17

Yes everything is correct. I also understood in 16 alpha that the best solution is to build from stone (slab). And it's not about saving resources. And in that, to concrete, this is the best material. Concrete is blocked, but it is not. Indeed, at the beginning of the game it is difficult to get it. Even before the first bloody night it is not always possible to dig up clay and stone, in the right quantity.

I also noticed that the material from which the block is made (paved stones) is sold fairly cheaply from a trader. Therefore, if you make the first equipment for completing quests, then in 2 quests you can buy resources much faster than digging them up.

More importantly, choose a good architectural plan of the house

I always carry a Stone shovel with me during the first week and search for pallets of Concrete bags at homes under construction and building sites. With just a bit of RWG luck, you can have a couple hundred ready made concrete and all you need is to find and or buy Rebar from traders. I also find that Working Stiffs crates at those sites have a lot of Rebar in them as well.

Late game problems.

After playing some long games on A17(.1) now i can truly say these things because theyre what was experienced over and over.

Playing on a Public server (usually 20 players online)

-Loot quality problems. Weapons i find are ALL quality 1 or 2, extremely rarely a 3 or 4. Only ever picked up one quality 5 weapon, never picked up a r6 weapon.

-Not enough Brass to fuel a working Ammo economy. Most ammo is bought from trader, some is found from looting, but never crafted. Brass is too limited and any brass you do find, has very little yield.

-Potassium, Coal and Lead are too rare a resource when mining, which adds to serverwide complaints of there being not enough ammo (we cant craft ammo if we cant make gunpowder or have no brass for bullet casings).

My group gave up bothering with using guns and bows, and have gone back to using Perma-stunlock melee weapons (because permanent stunlocking is good game design right?)

Overall my complain here is...Melee needs a redesign because it's awful, and ammo is too scarce and valuable to use (at all), Archery is dead.

-No cars. Once a server is stripped of them, players struggle to find batteries, wheels and engines.

-Players quick-looting prevents new players from being able to loot or play. I'll explain this problem using an example:

A high level and experienced player zooms through a PoI, collects the weapon bag and loot at the end because they know where it is, and then runs away without killing the zombies.

On most servers, this leaves high/max level Radiated zombies inside all of the PoI's which players with a low gamestage, are not able to beat or run away from them.

This problem is a huge troll-method. Many players do not clear the high level zombies after spawning them, and have no concern to do so (screw new players, we got what we wanted). This kind of thing can easily create a negative steam review.

-Farming actually gives TOO MUCH food. Water seems balanced enough but we have sooooo much food.

-Loot quality problems. Weapons i find are ALL quality 1 or 2, extremely rarely a 3 or 4. Only ever picked up one quality 5 weapon, never picked up a r6 weapon.

On my co-op game, I have found four q6 guns before Day 28; and I don't have any loot perks. However, I think I do recall MM saying that the loot tables need to be adjusted.

-No cars. Once a server is stripped of them, players struggle to find batteries, wheels and engines.

-Players quick-looting prevents new players from being able to loot or play.

What do you think TFP should do about this? It seems like a server manager problem to me.

I crouch corrected. (A17)

Hi!

So a little background.. I started playing 7D back in 2014 I believe, somewhere around A8-9, loved A10-11, kinda went downwards at 12-13 for me, hardly played 14-15-16. Of my 1140 hours, about 900 were around A10-11.

So, I didnt expect the whole world from A17. Yes it would be a "huge gamechanger" etc, I read it all, but yet I was expecting it to be too much towerdefense and levelgrinding.

I played the experimental, about 10 hours maybe - granted, I started a fresh char way too much in those hours. I couldnt like the game. I saw improvements but I was annoyed by a lot of (early game) stuff. I kinda quit.

However, I did feel I needed to play more so when the patch suddenly launched, I got my server back up and 'forced' some old skool friends to play with me.

After a day or so pretty much everyone got hooked, including me.

I picked this title because after my fluke in the Experimental I kinda went all pessimistic on the mining, the limited mapsize, the leveling etc. In my mind the game was wrecked because of it.

But the limited mapsize isnt as huge of an issue as I expected. I was comparing it to the old days, where you could loot a town in a day and move on. Now, I spend a whole day on maybe 2 buildings, before being forced to head back to base.

The POI"s are just awesome bytheway. Not just the designs but also the traps, the path-directing, the hidden spots etc.

The mining, I did complain about that as well, but once I figured out how it works it's just very straightforward. I feel that the people who are complaining about it, do not really get how it works. Sure, it could use tweaking but so far I am finding all the ores I am going for.

The addition of the levels and perks back in the day were a huge dissapointment for me. I didnt like it back then and I still dont like it.. But, it works a lot better now. I do think it still needs a lot of tweaking, but I feel the devs agree on that too. Mining already got a nice XP boost.

So I picked the title because I feel I was jumping to conclusions too fast, and crouch because the game got so much harder lol.

I feel that if you're gonna complain but later feel different, you also have to admit you were jumping to conclusions.

Some points I want to address; (keep in mind these are just my opinion)

Beakers; I feel we should be able to craft them. Even if pretty lategame, Im ok with that. If thats not an option, then they should have a higher lootchance, or make it you can scrap POI chem tables that drop 1 . I feel it's too much op to the Gods now when you can make a chem table.

Brass. I think this has been addressed a lot before (im not up to date), but we need way mooorrreee.. Whatever happened to the brass lamps and faucets? It was always a pain already you couldnt 'make' brass but now they removed even more loot..

So I suggest more brass items, or higher yield, or make it 'craftable'.

I'm getting really annoyed by the respawning in cleared out buildings. I get it they wanna make it harder on a high level, but above lvl 100 it's kinda becomes 'not worth it' to clear out buildings for the loot. Theres a busload of irradiated's and feral's in just an average building. Im wasting way more ammo (and medkits/bandages) than it's worth.

IMO they should NOT respawn once cleared out. Or at least scale it down! Maybe a wandering zombie or 2 who walked in over night, but not a full respawn of special z's.

Ladders are so slow now, and shift makes you go even slower. Intentional...?

I know RWG is still a WIP but boy, I would love a bigger lake here and there.

Mining, I kinda like it. However, it took me a while to figure it out. Mining really needs a tutorial ingame, like the 'build 3 wood frames' kind of message. Make a pop up telling you that you can sample the gravel patches, that the predominant special ores are at bedrock.. etc.

The blocks really need work on what they look like.. Now I am just looking at hitpoints to determine what I am actually hitting.

I have some thoughts about the leveling as well, but I feel they are still tweaking and tinkering about it so much, and I saw so much feedback already that I wanna wait that one out.

All in all, I am pleasantly surprised by this new patch, once I started getting somewhere. If anyone reading this, who played the old patches, quit after an hour in this patch, I'd recommend pushing through for a few hours.. it gets better once you get the hang of it. I def recommend playing with some friends, or at least play on a server.

Have a good day!

Archived