An A17 Experimental Metaphor

Roland

TFP: Welcome to the TFP kitchen. Today we are going to make French Toast.

EVERYONE: Yeah! We're so happy to be here and watch you make this delicious dish. We like eating but we are also very interested in watching the cooking process and being part of it.

POOJAM: French Toast is fine for some but donut holes are way better for throwing at each other. Make donut holes instead.

TFP: We may get to donut holes later but for now we are making French Toast. We'll start with these eggs.

EVERYONE: OOOOooooo those are xtra large and beautiful.

POOJAM: We could throw those you know if you'd let us....

JAX: I've said it before and I'll say it again TFP are among the FINEST developers on the planet. I've ALWAYS respected Joel's vision and these eggs we see before us now are a PERFECT example of that.

*** TFP proceeds to crack six eggs open and dump the contents into a bowl***

SOME: Woah! We loved those eggs and now they're broken! Why, TFP, Why!?!?!

JAX: I hate to bring up criticism but the direction that these broken shells on the countertop CLEARLY show is a direction I can no longer support. It truly is SAD when developers make these sorts of decisions. Maintaining unbroken eggs is clearly more difficult than all-ready broken eggs.

TFP: Guys, we broke the eggs because we are going to blend them up in this brand new blender we upgraded to and we wouldn't want shells mixed in with the yummy eggy parts.

EVERYONE: Coooool Blender! And yes we understand that you had to break some eggs to make your French Toast. Blend away!

JAX: FAITH RESTORED! Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my early remarks but it is only because THIS breakfast and THESE chefs are my favorites!

TFP: Okay, now take a look at this milk we have coming out of the fridge!

EVERYONE: OOOOooooooo that milk looks so cold and tasty.

POOJAM: I can already predict that TFP is stupidly NOT going to let us squirt it at each other!

TFP: Okay, there isn't going to be any milk squirting today but watch this...

*** TFP pours the milk into the blended eggs ***

SOME: EWWWWW! Milk and Raw Eggs mixed together?!?! How is that delicious? We thought there was going to be oreo dunking and what dev in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to dunk an oreo into an egg/milk mixture. Its all ruined!

GRONK: Some bipolar dev can't help himself to just wreck something just as it is brought out in perfect form.

JAX: The writing is DEFINITELY on the wall. Who wants to drink EGGMILK? It doesn't take someone going into a donut shop and ordering some milk to know how they like to drink milk. ALL FAITH LOST that TFP will be going in the right direction now.

TFP: The milk wasn't for drinking. We mix it with the eggs and add some cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg and use it as a dip for the next ingredient so we can cook up our French Toast. Now look at this nice big loaf of Texas Toast bread slices.

EVERYONE: OOOOOOOooooo that is some thick bread you got there Madmole!

****Five pages of double entrendres ensue****

POOJAM: TFP is only showing bread at this point to distract all you sheep from the fact that French Toast is boring and bland!

JAX: This makes so much SENSE now that we understand that the eggmilk wasn't to be drunk. I see so many more possibilities ahead for what can be done with such a mixture OTHER than drinking. TFP shows their GENIUS again!

***TFP dips a slice of bread into the mixture***

SOME: Uh....that bread is kinda soggy. Seems pretty gross. TFP expects us to eat soggy eggy bread? THIS is what they call "toast"?

JAX: For YEARS now I've contributed various toppings to enhance the breakfast TFP has been working on. Mrs Ravenhearst Syrup is WIDELY regarded as one of the best enhancements to french toast but I just can no LONGER support this continual development process of one step forward and TWO STEPS BACK. The cooked french toast we had last week was WAY better than this sloppy soggy mess in front of us.

TFP: Well, hang on because we have the griddle warming up still over here....

tldr: There really is a difference between not getting it and grokking the development process and letting things play out without over-reacting to each and every step of the way. Sure, you can give whatever version of feedback you want to give but it gets pretty comical.

/condescending +20 ;)

Its really sad to see how you treat some of your most ambitious players (not meaning me) where actually some self reflection would be appropriate. At least for me mods contriputed way more to improve my experience with the game then the official updates did for nearly 2 years now. It almost feels like all we got is AI and POIs.

Yeah may be that you put a lot more work in then we actually see right now and it all goes acording to your long term plans. But even so it is an experimental build and we cant expect things instantly to work like intended we also cant expect an aweful lot of new content in A17 either anymore. So at the moment it does not feel like all the time we were hyped and looking forward full of exhitement to the new build of our favorite game was worth at all.

Right now what i see is that your only way to handle players that are disapointed with your product is telling them from above how dumb they behave and to stop crying and take it. You may even be right and they (we, whatever) do behave childish but what you do doesnt seem more mature to me either and in any case not like a good business move at all when you consider the people you piss of with that behaviour actively help to make the game more enjoyable for a wider variety of players.

In the end its your game so its up to you how you treat your customers i guess.

EVERYONE: Yeah! We're so happy to be here and watch you make this delicious dish. We like eating but we are also very interested in watching the cooking process and being part of it.

POOJAM: French Toast is fine for some but donut holes are way better for throwing at each other. Make donut holes instead.

TFP: We may get to donut holes later but for now we are making French Toast. We'll start with these eggs.

JAX: I've said it before and I'll say it again TFP are among the FINEST developers on the planet. I've ALWAYS respected Joel's vision and these eggs we see before us now are a PERFECT example of that.

JAX: I hate to bring up criticism but the direction that these broken shells on the countertop CLEARLY show is a direction I can no longer support. It truly is SAD when developers make these sorts of decisions. Maintaining unbroken eggs is clearly more difficult than all-ready broken eggs.

TFP: Guys, we broke the eggs because we are going to blend them up in this brand new blender we upgraded to and we wouldn't want shells mixed in with the yummy eggy parts.

EVERYONE: Coooool Blender! And yes we understand that you had to break some eggs to make your French Toast. Blend away!

JAX: FAITH RESTORED! Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my early remarks but it is only because THIS breakfast and THESE chefs are my favorites!

POOJAM: I can already predict that TFP is stupidly NOT going to let us squirt it at each other!

SOME: EWWWWW! Milk and Raw Eggs mixed together?!?! How is that delicious? We thought there was going to be oreo dunking and what dev in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to dunk an oreo into an egg/milk mixture. Its all ruined!

GRONK: Some bipolar dev can't help himself to just wreck something just as it is brought out in perfect form.

JAX: The writing is DEFINITELY on the wall. Who wants to drink EGGMILK? It doesn't take someone going into a donut shop and ordering some milk to know how they like to drink milk. ALL FAITH LOST that TFP will be going in the right direction now.

TFP: The milk wasn't for drinking. We mix it with the eggs and add some cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg and use it as a dip for the next ingredient so we can cook up our French Toast. Now look at this nice big loaf of Texas Toast bread slices.

POOJAM: TFP is only showing bread at this point to distract all you sheep from the fact that French Toast is boring and bland!

JAX: This makes so much SENSE now that we understand that the eggmilk wasn't to be drunk. I see so many more possibilities ahead for what can be done with such a mixture OTHER than drinking. TFP shows their GENIUS again!

SOME: Uh....that bread is kinda soggy. Seems pretty gross. TFP expects us to eat soggy eggy bread? THIS is what they call "toast"?

JAX: For YEARS now I've contributed various toppings to enhance the breakfast TFP has been working on. Mrs Ravenhearst Syrup is WIDELY regarded as one of the best enhancements to french toast but I just can no LONGER support this continual development process of one step forward and TWO STEPS BACK. The cooked french toast we had last week was WAY better than this sloppy soggy mess in front of us.

tldr: There really is a difference between not getting it and grokking the development process and letting things play out without over-reacting to each and every step of the way. Sure, you can give whatever version of feedback you want to give but it gets pretty comical.

/condescending +20 ;)

I seriously want to frame this and hang it on a wall somewhere!

Here, take this handkerchief.

"hands a handkerchief"

* Looks suspiciously at handkerchief *

* Looks suspiciously at beerfly *

This hasn't been.. used.. has it?

- - - Updated - - -

He had you in there but the post was 3 times as long so he deleted all the snarky comments about lighting and there was nothing left. :devilish:

Hehe.. Fair point. Still. A reference would have been sweet.

/condescending +20 ;)

Drugs are bad m'kay, just say no...

403162_10150613644143465_129446698464_11144620_448774237_n.jpg

ETA: I demand that French Toast be a craftable food item in the next experimental release. If it is not, I will post many pedantic straw-man arguments about the meaning of the word "random". And you wouldn't want that, would you?

/condescending +20 ;)

Hey all. I've been gone for awhile. Came back to check on my of my favorite games and to see what' been happening. Judging from this posting, I would say a lot. lol.

By the way, nice avitar Roland.

/condescending +20 ;)

I didnt make the cut :(

Mercy Snip

Any other time I would laugh along with this joke. But the fact you keep insisting that my criticism means I no longer support the Pimps or the game or that I'M somehow in the wrong for not enjoying the direction of this Alpha or that I just don't "get it" tells me everything I need to know. The fact we cant even have an honest conversation about it is worse.

I'm ok being the scapegoat. Joke away at my expense and everyone else's expense who are disappointed. Embrace the love and the praise. I've always been told its ok to be critical as long as it's done respectfully. I think my initial post was pretty respectful. The responses I got have been not.

Im not about to become a jaded hater because of this forum. My post was a heartfelt letter to Joel and the Pimps. I honestly wish i could just pick his brain a bit, get his insight etc. This is my only avenue to do so, so I tried. But if Im now lumped into a category of other people who have been actually disrespectful to the Pimps in the past, even insulting then this is a community I no longer need to be a part of.

News Flash: Some people HATE my mod, think its garbage. But I don't make multi paragraph posts with the intention of making them feel stupid for having an opinion in the first place, and I would NEVER be dismissive of well thought out criticism. But what do I know? Im just a number, and a hater.

Any other time I would laugh along with this joke. But the fact you keep insisting that my criticism means I no longer support the Pimps or the game or that I'M somehow in the wrong for not enjoying the direction of this Alpha or that I just don't "get it" tells me everything I need to know. The fact we cant even have an honest conversation about it is worse.

I'm ok being the scapegoat. Joke away at my expense and everyone else's expense who are disappointed. Embrace the love and the praise. I've always been told its ok to be critical as long as it's done respectfully. I think my initial post was pretty respectful. The responses I got have been not.

Im not about to become a jaded hater because of this forum. My post was a heartfelt letter to Joel and the Pimps. I honestly wish i could just pick his brain a bit, get his insight etc. This is my only avenue to do so, so I tried. But if Im now lumped into a category of other people who have been actually disrespectful to the Pimps in the past, even insulting then this is a community I no longer need to be a part of.

News Flash: Some people HATE my mod, think its garbage. But I don't make multi paragraph posts with the intention of making them feel stupid for having an opinion in the first place, and I would NEVER be dismissive of well thought out criticism. But what do I know? Im just a number, and a hater.

Maybe I misread his post, but I don't think you were depicted as a hater, not explicitly nor implicitly. I suppose it's up to you to interpret it that way.

I think he is making light of your extremely large opinions because you are stating them during an experimental build, not even a stable release, i.e. a knee-jerk reaction. Maybe some of the latest build decisions are not to your liking, or previous ones. But the fact remains that it's still experimental and being tweaked and changed daily, so making a big post about how very saddened and disappointed you are of how it's all going to hell is overreacting. Proof of it is how you've already made long posts criticizing a change and then other posts praising them for changing it for the better during this same experimental.

Save all those words for when it's stable if you're still disappointed, and in the meantime, focus your energy into doing specific, concise criticisms or suggestions of individual changes to help them out, because so far I haven't seen you trying to contribute that way (but then I might be misremembering, with so much stuff going on in the forum).

Archived