Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

you know i actually don't mind being able to hear gunshots across the map.........above ground......it helps with my hunting of other players.

if anyone has a problem with being able to hear a gun shot across the map get over it haha. guns aren't made to be quiet without a sound suppression device.

that being said the only thing i care about is not being able to hear sounds below ground while on the surface. that is completely unrealistic. instead of bitching about something that actually brings immersion to the game how about you focus on things that don't make sense. like being able to hear crap down to bedrock. there is no reason to be able to hear things under ground.

im just gona throw this out there, the massive map gives plenty to explore and try to find a perfect base location. that said, i can understand why this change is being done.

there for! i ask for a simple request... give us the option to designate the map size for random gen. smaller maps are better for lesser computers, but still has the option to generate large maps. i dont think thats a unfair suggestion no? if server owners are gona have that option, so should users for there solo games.

+1 to this. The option to set your map 🗺 size on random gen would be wonderful.

I guess you would have to explain exactly HOW a SP character would be screwed if she couldn’t max out all perks. Currently, I don’t believe your premise so let’s start there.

My view is that any player can survive, mine, farm, scavenge, build, defend, trade, craft, battle, explore, swim, drive, etc. with both some strengths and some weaknesses. You tell me what part of the game a single player is locked out of if she can’t get 100% strengths in everything?

Don’t just say there’s screwage. Show me the screwage.

OK, challenge accepted.

let us say I ever want to make either a chemistry station or an auto turret, for that science 7 is required so there go all those levels of advancement. Now personally I always prioritize armor, the less damage I take the better it is for me, regardless of how I choose to engage zeds. So there go 2 of my main choices. 1 made to provide antibiotics and one to mitigate damage. Now true,there are no items that I know of requiring science 10so fine...I get 2 other choices to raise to 5 and another to only level 3.{and yes I know a chem station isn't required to make antibiotics}

So now at best my melee can hit say level 8 just to use those 3 extra ranks, that leaves me only 1 other choice to raise to level 5, tool smithing and gun smithing come to mind, not even considering the oddballs that only require 1 or 2 ranks, the workbench, the aforementioned chemistry station, concrete mixing, or steel smithing. By no means do I feel the need to max everything, but unless crafting and combat are sepperated then the options are too limited for long duration play.

I have logged more hours playing than I care to admit, and for a long time now when I die, that is all she wrote, delete and start over. If we are allowed to respec then my arguement is definitly invalid, as then should you decide to go another route you can, but setting in stone a given build is going the wrong way. I would reccomend looking at the system used by UO way back when with a system that raised or degraded over time depending on what you were doing.

I guess you would have to explain exactly HOW a SP character would be screwed if she couldn’t max out all perks. Currently, I don’t believe your premise so let’s start there.

My view is that any player can survive, mine, farm, scavenge, build, defend, trade, craft, battle, explore, swim, drive, etc. with both some strengths and some weaknesses. You tell me what part of the game a single player is locked out of if she can’t get 100% strengths in everything?

Don’t just say there’s screwage. Show me the screwage.

Well they can’t show you the „screwagw“ till they got a hold of A17.

But let’s be honest we all besides Roland and the Q&A testers here are just talking out of our asses. Till we get a hold of A17 we can’t really say that the new skill path screws us

I apologize for being so ♥♥♥♥ about this.. but there's no semblance of moba to what TFP have been doing. MOBAs are Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. If they forced pvp and wouldn't allow any play outside of their own servers, then maybe.

Again, sorry.

I accept that referring to MOBA's may be premature,but they are certainly preferring multiplayer at the expense of single player. I understand it is all about pleasing your main player base, but i feel a bit screwed in single player if things go as I understand.

Not sure if you noticed several pages back when he posted a picture of the night vision. I replied and said what do they look like turned off. The reason I said that is because it looks like a POI in that picture that I haven't seen or at least it doesn't look like one I recognize. So with the remake of POI and possibly more POI it might turn out really good.

Turned off, the ground and zombies were black. That POI is the path test prefab.

OK, challenge accepted.

let us say I ever want to make either a chemistry station or an auto turret, for that science 7 is required so there go all those levels of advancement. Now personally I always prioritize armor, the less damage I take the better it is for me, regardless of how I choose to engage zeds. So there go 2 of my main choices. 1 made to provide antibiotics and one to mitigate damage. Now true,there are no items that I know of requiring science 10so fine...I get 2 other choices to raise to 5 and another to only level 3.{and yes I know a chem station isn't required to make antibiotics}

So now at best my melee can hit say level 8 just to use those 3 extra ranks, that leaves me only 1 other choice to raise to level 5, tool smithing and gun smithing come to mind, not even considering the oddballs that only require 1 or 2 ranks, the workbench, the aforementioned chemistry station, concrete mixing, or steel smithing. By no means do I feel the need to max everything, but unless crafting and combat are sepperated then the options are too limited for long duration play.

I have logged more hours playing than I care to admit, and for a long time now when I die, that is all she wrote, delete and start over. If we are allowed to respec then my arguement is definitly invalid, as then should you decide to go another route you can, but setting in stone a given build is going the wrong way. I would reccomend looking at the system used by UO way back when with a system that raised or degraded over time depending on what you were doing.

You do know that player progression is being revamped right? What you're talking about right now may be irrelevant.

You do know that player progression is being revamped right? What you're talking about right now may be irrelevant.

I do know it is getting revamped, just not how and where. I do hope my argument about imbalance is invalid, but I fear the worst and hope to be wrong.

I do know it is getting revamped, just not how and where. I do hope my argument about imbalance is invalid, but I fear the worst and hope to be wrong.

This game was always being developed as a single player, and up to 8 player coop.

So don’t throw your towel into the wind till you get a hild of the new version. If you still don’t like it mod the xml to change it, it is super easy.

But isn’t 7dtd also made to be played on 32 bit windows. From what i have heard those versions can only use a certain amount of ram but nothing above that.

I slightly remember them saying many years ago they wont drop 32 bit support.

So if that is true then they gotta still balance the game with that limitation in mind.

RAM use should be lower with A17.

32 bit support is not a given. As the years go by and tech changes, it may become a requirement. Say if Unity dropped 32 bit support in the future and we wanted to use that version, then it could happen. Not yet.

This game was always being developed as a single player, and up to 8 player coop.

So don’t throw your towel into the wind till you get a hild of the new version. If you still don’t like it mod the xml to change it, it is super easy.

Throw in the towel???? Oh no...by no means.

I am a pessimist by choice and logic.

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is what happens when they are wrong.

When an optimist is wrong and things go badly they are disappointed because things did not go well; they may keep an optimistic view but things did not go well.

When a pessimist is wrong that means that things did not go as badly as anticipated and they got better than they hoped for.

I would be a realist....but the amount of data required for an unbiased assessment is beyond me, so I take the next best choice.

Throw in the towel???? Oh no...by no means.

I am a pessimist by choice and logic.

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is what happens when they are wrong.

When an optimist is wrong and things go badly they are disappointed because things did not go well; they may keep an optimistic view but things did not go well.

When a pessimist is wrong that means that things did not go as badly as anticipated and they got better than they hoped for.

I would be a realist....but the amount of data required for an unbiased assessment is beyond me, so I take the next best choice.

The next best choice is actually to reserve judgement until you get your hands on A17, rather than hypothesizing without any hard facts and taking an optimistic or pessimistic approach to it. Just saying :p

Before A17 if a zombie was walking it would always stop the walking animation before starting the hitting animation.

Testing A16 a while back I realized there was some overlap between moving and attacking, but based on the code I changed, it wasn't that great.

Testing A16 a while back I realized there was some overlap between moving and attacking, but based on the code I changed, it wasn't that great.

Maybe so. But you could run through a wandering horde and never get hit. By time their hit animation started you were past them. Now you can get hit. It’s happened to me several times. It was also very apparent when playing always run. They would run right up to you, stop, and then swing. It made it easy when going one on one against a running zombie.

It’s way better now. Great job!

Maybe so. But you could run through a wandering horde and never get hit. By time their hit animation started you were past them. Now you can get hit. It’s happened to me several times. It was also very apparent when playing always run. They would run right up to you, stop, and then swing. It made it easy when going one on one against a running zombie.

It’s way better now. Great job!

Yea the collision with z's is horrible. I tend to hit and back away cause it makes no sense to be able to hit and run right thru a zombie's body but many do use that exploit to great effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Any word on if throwing down an LCB and/or sleeping bag has removed zombs from spawning inside a POI house. In 16 they still have a chance to spawn.

Only the last bedroll you place down acts as your spawn point. That bag and that bag only prevents spawn within it's range. LCB has zero effect on spawns. If you have z's spawning in a poi with a bedroll it's because the poi is larger than your bags range. Try centering it in the poi to get the best effect.

OK, challenge accepted.

Much of this doesn’t apply to the new system which you couldn’t know (and as you admitted to suspecting in a later post)

But I do get the gist of what you are saying. If crafting recipes are locked behind high level perks (however that works in the new system) then there really are parts of the game locked away from the player unless the player chooses those and if they must choose those to be able to craft those stations and high tier blocks and equipment then that leaves less choices for other things.

My personal feeling is that it would be awesome to play once where I’m a master crafter and can create whatever I want and then do another playthrough where I don’t craft those things myself but I use operational workstations I find in the world and trade for items I can’t craft myself. It would definitely make for two very different playthroughs.

My point is that you still have access to everything and you can still participate in all gameplay offerings. You can use a chemistry station and a workbench even if you don’t have the skill to make one yourself and that all by itself creates an emergent quest you wouldn’t get in a game where you can just craft it yourself.

Now if you can’t have fun unless you can always craft everything then yes you’re going to always want to choose to max your crafting skills every time you play and then use the rest of the points for whatever.

Archived