Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

part of the reason why these things keep getting pushed back is that whoever is in charge doesn't know how to say no, and has not enough discipline. feature creep is a real problem and 7D2D is not immune

Feature creep isn't always a bad thing, especially from a consumer perspective. It's mostly a problem for developers who don't have the money to absorb the development time associated with it. Obviously TFP has the money to continue development in this way comfortably.

Man, september now :( . Im back to uni then, guess I wont be playing till christmas. Thank god for streamers :disillusionment:

I feel your pain. When I was a freshman, Portal 2 came out while I was in the middle of a physics class that was way over my head. I desperately wanted to play Portal 2, but I knew that buying it would send my grade the rest of the way down the toilet. As soon as finals were over, I got the game and started playing at midnight. Around 8am the next morning I went to bed.

I feel your pain. When I was a freshman, Portal 2 came out while I was in the middle of a physics class that was way over my head. I desperately wanted to play Portal 2, but I knew that buying it would send my grade the rest of the way down the toilet. As soon as finals were over, I got the game and started playing at midnight. Around 8am the next morning I went to bed.

The Wii came out my freshman year. My roommate got one just before finals week. He didn't really have any finals. I had a paper, a project, and two tests. It suuuuuucked.

Last tweet by Joel, if you have missed:

here is the explanation for a new video delay

Mad love to Joel, but dude. That dumpster looks really freaking awesome. The Cotton next to it? We settled on vegetation rework enough to get things like Cotton not looking like eye sores?

Mad love to Joel, but dude. That dumpster looks really freaking awesome. The Cotton next to it? We settled on vegetation rework enough to get things like Cotton not looking like eye sores?

I thought I saw a post that they're going to make cotton and other plants into 3D models. Idk if that's true, but it would look totally awesome.

Let me rephrase the question: any word on upping the radius/range the bedroll has to make the poi fully secure from zombs respawning inside a normal size house? Ive had the bedroll in the middle of the poi on the first floor, on the second floor and they still had a chance of respawning.

You can do this already via serverconfig.xml by adjusting BedrollDeadZoneSize.

To use a serverconfig file as a client/Single Player, just add a launch command line (example: -configfile=serverconfig_mysettings.xml)

This can be used to adjust many properties only found in that file and set defaults different than those game would otherwise have on new game menus.

I accept that referring to MOBA's may be premature,but they are certainly preferring multiplayer at the expense of single player. I understand it is all about pleasing your main player base, but i feel a bit screwed in single player if things go as I understand.

How about you wait for this said 'screwing' before claiming to feel screwed. Understand?

To use a serverconfig file as a client/Single Player, just add a launch command line (example: -configfile=serverconfig_mysettings.xml)

This can be used to adjust many properties only found in that file and set defaults different than those game would otherwise have on new game menus.

Add that command where?

Can’t do this on my unmodded servers as it would push the servers into the modded section. Both are 30 person servers. I also verrrryyyy rarely play SP as it’s boring playing with just myself. However thanks for the info.

Add that command where?

While the purpose here was to demonstrate how to use serverconfig.xml to put saves on a different drive, the instructions on how-to are just as valid:

[Tutorial] Putting saves on a different drive or path for the Client (not dedicated server).

- - - Updated - - -

Can’t do this on my unmodded servers as it would push the servers into the modded section. Both are 30 person servers. I also verrrryyyy rarely play SP as it’s boring playing with just myself. However thanks for the info.

Correct, many config changes, most settings changes, etc put a server onto the modded tab.

Stop using optimizations to make room for the next feature during the Alpha phase? Did you miss your coffee this morning Doc?

That wasn't what I meant. I was referring to the value of what you take away and what you replace it with. In my opinion, I could see nothing you could add that would be worth whatever optimization benefit there is from taking ~77% of the playfield away. The only exception I suppose is that it could be argued increased zombie counts could be an equivalent as far as return investment. But, those are far more CPU hungry than map size, which historically has only ever affected memory usage, storage space, and loading times.

You might reduce terrain pop-in with a reduced map size and techniques, which makes driving in faster vehicles look better since you're not seeing that visual pop-in. But, even then, my argument is that a large reduction in map size is not worth even that benefit to me.

That wasn't what I meant. I was referring to the value of what you take away and what you replace it with. In my opinion, I could see nothing you could add that would be worth whatever optimization benefit there is from taking ~77% of the playfield away. The only exception I suppose is that it could be argued increased zombie counts could be an equivalent as far as return investment. But, those are far more CPU hungry than map size, which historically has only ever affected memory usage, storage space, and loading times.

You might reduce terrain pop-in with a reduced map size and techniques, which makes driving in faster vehicles look better since you're not seeing that visual pop-in. But, even then, my argument is that a large reduction in map size is not worth even that benefit to me.

I know we're all concerned, but can we talk about this once we get at least a couple hours of playing in?? I'm so tired of reading about this when, in reality, the devs aren't going to make any more changes in the map size until A18 if they do anything.

Someone already made an executive decision about this. I'm sure there was allot of debate and a list of pros and cons that we aren't privy to. Someone has a vision for this game. they are an artist, halfway through painting a picture and no amount of complaining will change their vision for the future.

To console us all, I'm sure some moder will take it upon themselves to find a way to increase the map size for A17.

To console us all, I'm sure some moder will take it upon themselves to find a way to increase the map size for A17.

The changing part sounds easy, but they wont confirm if its going to kill in game performance or just make map generation longer, however they did confirm better lighting and amazing rusty trash bins.

Last lost post and new

Best regards to all the members of this forum and especially to the TFP group. I am an impatient boy (sure as many) by the relase of A17. jejejej From Colombia I send my most sincere good vibrations and energy to help you with your work!

I want to ask; With this new update, will there be any possibility, via XML, to use the electricity system to make a powered workbench block?

I refer of course to, a way to make a work table if you do not have connected current, not the option of "press E to use" ... Thank you and encourage all who wait impatiently. Faatal, congratulations for the wedding. (was my last post, lost under interminable discussion about map sice)

THE NEW ONE.

So ... Seeing the seen, some of you who seem more pros gamers could recommend me a game that like 7dtd has the possibility of mod via xml? In order to better spend the waiting months. Thank you

I love the fact that they are concentrating more on improving graphics this time around for several reasons:

• I prefer to play with a pleasant view
  • Immersion is increased
  • This game will lose part of its indie bad-graphics vibe, it'll look more polished
  • More new streamers will be attracted to it
  • More new players will be attracted to it

I love the fact that they are concentrating more on improving graphics this time around for several reasons:

• I prefer to play with a pleasant view
  • Immersion is increased
  • This game will lose part of its indie bad-graphics vibe, it'll look more polished
  • More new streamers will be attracted to it
  • More new players will be attracted to it

Unless water stops looking like a green goo in alpha 17 things aren't gonna improve too much tbh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, why aren't more casual gamers attracted to this game?

Unless water stops looking like a green goo in alpha 17 things aren't gonna improve too much tbh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They have improved water as well, check madmole's twitter

Also, why aren't more casual gamers attracted to this game?

I think there are 2 main reasons:

1. The learning curve is pretty slow. I would not change this, I like it complex.
  2. The feeling of cheap-bad-graphics indie game that 7DTD partially has/had. I have many friends that I tried to convince to play the game, but for that reason they seem not interested. So, improving graphics could help this point.

I've been reading every single post in here for weeks now. Morning poo, lunch break at work, after work relaxing on couch, and in bed at night. The diehard "immersion" rants, unyielding needs to specialize in all things, backpack confusion, map tears.... I like my salt blocks cut from the non-GMO Mines of Presumption and this thread is working those mines hard, much to my daily enjoyment.

Personally I'm stoked for A17 and the changes mentioned.

Having a handful of AKs or shotguns all modded to fill different roles sounds awesome. This is my recon AK with scope and suppressor, and this is my "where did all these dogs come from?!" AK with extended mag and quick reload. YES.

The class specialization is wonderful - better replay value for SP, better complimentary team play in MP, and overall better variety in gameplay due to having real weaknesses you must learn to work around.

Twice as big as Nave is still big, and a smaller RWG map with big servers will incentivize players to both hide and protect their base in clever ways. No more hiding way out in the boonies like the Alaskan bush family.

Anyway, very excited, love the direction TFP are moving in, and look forward to whenever it is ready.

And Roland: I wish I could by you some whiskey. I don't envy your position here and what you have to deal with. Respect.

Wow, you know all of that how? You sat in on their meetings? Feature creep isn't really a thing in Alpha. That's what Alpha is. You add more and more features. You pick points that you want wider testing and release those to the Early Access players. That decision is probably pretty fluid by design.

When the feature list for a patch continues to get longer and the release date gets pushed back further it's the logical conclusion. You don't have to be a fly on the wall to figure out 2+2=4

But keep up the white knighting, I'm used to it

Why everybody here got batman™ avatar??? Like 50 % ppl have it. xDD

What happens when it hits 100% KAPOW! BOOM! (7D2D land size fits inside a batcave? Utility belt allows for more storage!? Ziplines make it into the game?)

Well Dimpy upped to 55, and I believe I up it to 60. (I don't believe anyone is counting SpaceGhost as a Batman - even though they almost look the same.)

Heck, if I wouldn't lose a rep point I would even consider Batman Blue. (Superman Blue = too much, WonderWoman Blue = not enough, and Aquaman Blue, well...)

Custom_Hero_Blue could be awesome, but even a super color like Blue (caps intended!) probably couldn't make up for that much negativity. (Aren't hero's supposed to be positive?)

Archived