Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ddw58MPVMAAJiyQ.jpg

i think the perspective on these trees needs a bit of work. they just look out of scale , a bit too big .. not a complaint an observation..

Have you ever... seen a tree?

BigBottomBobHolmstrom.jpg

Also people don't really talk about "perspective" like that in the context of 3d games. Generally it refers to 2d drawings that simulate 3d space. To say that the perspective is wrong in a 3d engine is to say the entire engine isn't rendering space itself correctly, which would more than likely just be a wonky FOV setting.

Have you ever... seen a tree?

BigBottomBobHolmstrom.jpg

Agreed with this sentiment. The size of trees is greatly affected by the soil and climate in which they grow, not just by the species of the tree. If they have enough room to spread out their roots then they will usually continue to grow (upward and outward in most cases).

Will we ever dig holes in giant sequoia trees 20 meters up for our first 1-5 nights?

- Very little room

- Safe from regular zombies

-zombies start hitting the tree

-tree falls

-a11 rules where if you're within 50 meters of a falling tree you instantly die

-also it breaks your leg immediately upon revival

-zombies start hitting the tree

-tree falls

-a11 rules where if you're within 50 meters of a falling tree you instantly die

-also it breaks your leg immediately upon revival

Ah, the old rocks fall and the party dies trick.

MM on Twitter :Our new GFX programmers smashed the water issues with Unity 2017-18, and improved performance 50%. Also near objects do not take over the reflections!

Love to hear in what sense performance is improve and what Issue is solved. Seems like you make water swim able, are boats near ?

These are rendering/shader changes, so water looks better and renders faster, but it does not change how water blocks work.

Boats will not be in A17. A17 is at feature freeze, meaning no big new features. This is bug fixing and polish time with small features added as needed for bug fixes and polish.

These are rendering/shader changes, so water looks better and renders faster, but it does not change how water blocks work.

Boats will not be in A17. A17 is at feature freeze, meaning no big new features. This is bug fixing and polish time with small features added as needed for bug fixes and polish.

Glad to know we are at feature freeze ;) looking forward to experimental!!

is there any new weapons coming with A17?

this A17 log looks a bit small, after 1 year work.

then "A17 is at feature freeze, meaning no big new features" meh....

List looks relatively small for a year of work because it includes a number of overhauls to entire systems, as well as time getting a bunch of new employees up to speed with the game. Which should, hopefully, mean faster progress in all things long term.

Not making excuses for the devs or anything, just calling what I see.

Feature lock shouldn't matter, as it doesn't mean no new features.

Just means they're behind DLC's etc. And it's about time we hit Beta so we can some optimizing going on!

My wallet and body are ready.

That's not at all what feature freeze means.

- Three new vehicles

- Lots of new POIs and other building improvements

- Weapons overhaul, including a new mod system

- Overhaul of the buff system

- Reworked skill progression system (strange just after A17, though I'm assuming this represents further improvement)

- Massive improvements to zombie AI

- System optimizations across the board including for world-building and textures (this seems like some beta work being done now)

This seems like not new content but making the content work like it should. That's a plus toward making the game play like it should. Sure we don't have some of the new content that we want (quests and NPCs), but the framework has been laid for those to come next.

In my book, nothing to be sad about here.

It looks short for two reasons.

First: Not a true changelog

It is not the changelog. That will be pages and pages and pages. It is just a summary of changes confirmed by a developer. Not all features and not all aspects of the features have been revealed. There are going to be a few surprises.

Second: Simple summary

Each entry is a simple statement and does not convey at all how much work has gone into it. For example:

A17 Feature List: Updated as Developers reveal them!

• Quest System
    +Cool new group quests
    +Dynamically spawns a boss to guard quest objective
    +Dialogue system that is fully moddable 3/5/18
    +Trader initiated quests 3/5/18
    +Quests and quest POIs will work in Random worlds as well as Navezgane 4/19/2018

Five simple lines of text do not begin to scratch the surface of all the time and work that was put into the quest system. Minibosses, legendary loot, dungeon POIs, dialogue trees, party system for group quests, getting the system to work in the random world as well as the static world, and fixing all the bugs associated with it and that by itself starts looking like a monumental task. You can feel "meh" about it but that doesn't diminish the fact that this single feature has taken the team working on it the entire year to do and it still will require more time. That floating exclamation point may end up staying for A17 until they can switch it out for something more immersive at some point.

I guess if someone said to you that during the summer of 1776 the Declaration of Independence was signed. You'd probably say "That's it? They signed their name on a single document? ---Meh"

That happens every alpha though. I want my ziplines ! : (

Q: Will we at one point be able to adjust the speed dart traps shoot out darts? Or how fast turrets eject ammo.

Surprise! It is why we and a whole bunch of developers call it an alpha, a project that is still in development.

A: I am not the one who you should ask, but I guess some fixes are gonna be done. Balancing is stil a WIP.

Archived