Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Guest Rust Buddy
Rolands thread is what he calls a swimming suit.. Anyway, I think epic weapons/gear and better weapon mods will be found through the quests, and rarely by normal looting. You can skip those if you want.

haha no doubt no doubt...but what your saying is that if I loot a whole house it wont have weapon mods but if you loot the same house as a quest then there will be weapon mods? That blows. shouldnt the world have what it has no matter what? Maybe a quest clues you in to where something legendary is but if it is there and I find it without a quest I should still get it. how can quests magically put stuff in that not everyone can access? a container should have what it has and not one thing for one guy and something else for a different guy just because he talked to a trader first.

what if you get a quest and the house with the legendary machete that gets spawned there for you is across the map and before you can get there and do your quest I just happen to come upon that house naturally and start looting normally and I have no idea its your quest. Would i get the legendary machete since I got there first or not? if not then this quest idea needs some serious rethinking cuz thats stupid as ♥♥♥♥ right there.

haha no doubt no doubt...but what your saying is that if I loot a whole house it wont have weapon mods but if you loot the same house as a quest then there will be weapon mods? That blows. shouldnt the world have what it has no matter what? Maybe a quest clues you in to where something legendary is but if it is there and I find it without a quest I should still get it. how can quests magically put stuff in that not everyone can access? a container should have what it has and not one thing for one guy and something else for a different guy just because he talked to a trader first.

what if you get a quest and the house with the legendary machete that gets spawned there for you is across the map and before you can get there and do your quest I just happen to come upon that house naturally and start looting normally and I have no idea its your quest. Would i get the legendary machete since I got there first or not? if not then this quest idea needs some serious rethinking cuz thats stupid as ♥♥♥♥ right there.

I can't see them using the Bethesda trick of rebuilding a POI if a quest is activated. The world is dynamic, you can't even guarantee a building is there, never mind a particular chest.

What's more like to happen is that the quest item is on a spawnable entity such as a boss-zombie.

just a suggestion, dude. it cant hurt you or change the game all by itself unless your worried Madmole will listen to his good old Rust Buddy. :)

Madmole

what plans or strategies do you have to get more zombies on screen at once? have you thought of static terrain and making the world a hybrid voxel world instead of compleately voxel? just because you started out one way doesnt mean you cant change!!! is digging that important compared to getting hoards of 100+ zombies?

others can answer if they want but my question is for madmole from his rust buddy haha and no one needs to tell me to shut up or go away.

I don't know about Unity, but I imagine that that many animated objects at once is the major issue. Animation and lighting are always the biggest overhead hogs in my experience. As terrible as it sounds, using animated sprites for the furthest zombies past a certain number of zombies might be the way to go, even after optimizations. Either that or non-animated, non-shadowcasting models, which would look way worse imo.

Sigh everyone keeps asking for a higher zombie head count but did you ever consider that making the zombies smarter with more variety and more unique characteristics (strengths and weaknesses) would be the better way to go in the long run.

No, cause I have a zillion spiders coming at you in a spooky forest, all low hp, and it's a blast.

***Warning harsh reality check incoming***

On the top 1% of gaming rigs huge hoards of zombies would be possible but on most peoples sad excuse for a gaming rig it's just not possible.

Most people think that a quad core CPU at 3Ghz and 8GB of system memory with a GTX 1050 should be able to play games at the highest detail with all the toys turned on at a million frames per second because they don't know any better and that just isn't reality.

Why does my game run badly, why does it lag, why does it hitch and freeze, sigh honestly I get tired of hearing it, buy a better rig.

But but but I can't afford it, uh yes you can, save up your money instead of impulse buying everything you can get your hands on and you can afford it.

/rant off

On the top 1% of gaming rigs that would be possible but on most peoples sad excuse for a gaming rig it's just not possible.

Most people think that a quad core CPU at 3Ghz and 8GB of system memory with a GTX 1050 should be able to play games at the highest resolution at a million frames per second because they don't know any better and that just isn't reality.

I'm not entirely sure how he's done it but my guess is that stripping out the AI and replacing it with something minimal has done a lot to help. Combine that with a relatively simple mesh and animation system and you can save a ton of system resources.

I don't have a high paying job but I saved up for a long time and then purchased a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 when it went on sale for $750, in fact it's still on sale right now at EVGA.com so it can be done guys you just have to have some discipline and some patience.

I don't have a high paying job but I saved up for a long time and then purchased a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 when it went on sale for $750, in fact it's still on sale right now at EVGA.com so it can be done guys you just have to have some discipline and some patience.

This is a voxel game, the graphics card is less important than the processor/ram combo.

This is a voxel game, the graphics card is less important than the processor/ram combo.

I agree with you but a flagship graphics card makes a HUGE difference in frames per second.

I previously mentioned about 3 weeks ago that upgrading/replacing your computer core would make the biggest impact on game performance but a new flagship graphics card is a stopgap measure that will improve your game performance tremendously.

$750 graphics card is a stopgap measure over a $400 ram/cpu/mobo upgrade?

It would cost a hell of a lot more than $400.00 for a top end computer core that would shred a voxel game like 7 days to die.

Here is an example of a computer core on the upper high end for a reasonable price and IMO the minimum you should even consider building, however yes there are even faster and more powerful cores you could build.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7820X Skylake-X 8-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 2066

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E LGA 2066

System memory: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3466

SSD: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe

LCS: Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO RGB

*These parts are non negotiable if you want a blazing fast rig.

Sigh everyone keeps asking for a higher zombie head count but did you ever consider that making the zombies smarter with more variety and more unique characteristics (strengths and weaknesses) would be the better way to go in the long run.

I could write a wall of text about this subject but suffice it to say there are better more creative ways to accomplish the goal of more zombie interaction instead of just being zerged by a million zombies.

But then we run into the issue of "creating a zombie for every exploit" that people dont seem to care for. Stacking a world full of zombies can be a very real threat. If it is done properly with proper spawning and its not all "everywhere all the time". Im testing such changes right now and it definitely makes going anywhere more dangerous.

No need for a zombie that can leap 4 blocks or a zombie that targets pillars specifically. Its just my opinion but those kinds of things veer into "silly" territory. And eventually you end up with a zombie for every type of build or design. No reason why a mass of 50 zombies cant damage your base. The overwhelming numbers would make them "block eaters" and after they build up would be hard to ignore.

But then we run into the issue of "creating a zombie for every exploit" that people dont seem to care for. Stacking a world full of zombies can be a very real threat. If it is done properly with proper spawning and its not all "everywhere all the time". Im testing such changes right now and it definitely makes going anywhere more dangerous.

No need for a zombie that can leap 4 blocks or a zombie that targets pillars specifically. Its just my opinion but those kinds of things veer into "silly" territory. And eventually you end up with a zombie for every type of build or design. No reason why a mass of 50 zombies cant damage your base. The overwhelming numbers would make them "block eaters" and after they build up would be hard to ignore.

I want more zombies that I have to be seriously worried about like those "dirty bloated green glowing acid spewing exploding nightmares" because those are the only ones I even get worried about, all the other zombies are a joke.

There are multiple game difficulty settings and more could be added for instance "The Zerg" or "7 seconds to live" or "Seriously?" I mean have some fun with it and add in all those zombie difficulty options people are asking for.

The higher difficulty settings would require you to have a more powerful rig but that's okay at least you would have something to look forward to when you upgrade or build a new rig.

scentless really...

- - - Updated - - -

a video would be heaven scent...

- - - Updated - - -

it would prompt scentillating conversation...

- - - Updated - - -

ahhhh.... too many children not to be good at dad jokes.

I want more zombies that I have to be seriously worried about like those "dirty bloated green glowing acid spewing exploding nightmares" because those are the only ones I even get worried about, all the other zombies are a joke.

I agree. Lore and zombie movies aside, its the green glowing exploding pukes that I respect... and the bears.

Now to change that (which TFP are doing), is make the AI as smart as possible, then when the AI seem way too smart for zombies, make NPCs use the "top shelf" AI and you can then dumb down the AI a bit for Zombies!

Special zombie types IMO only work in a Left 4 dead scenario, and those special zombies that 7d2d does have, I don't fancy that much to be honest (spider and the cop I mean, the screamer is ok).

A real threat in a zombie game or in any zombie movie are the masses of the undead (something Project Zomboid does well), and not some iradiated self healing zombies, I find that to be just a silly solution to add to the difficulty of the horde night.

Just imagine if large numbers of zombies were possible, you would be more carefull while scavenging, every sound could attract a very large number of the undead, surrounding every part of the house you're in, making it a difficult task to escape (unlike now). Bases would need more planing, more scavenging for maintainance, more tactics to lure them away and risking your life (nightime especially), it would just be an allaround more tense experience.

Yes, you could still hide underground, but, you would have to face the massive horde eventually, which would grow in numbers overtime if you dont get help from another player to lure them away.

Don't get me wrong, 7d2d is still my favorite zombie game out right now, along Project Zomboid and Left 4 dead 2 (which doesn't really fall in the same category), and I understand that it's harder to bring in more zombies because of its voxel nature, but I don't see smarter and special zombies as a solution. Zombies should be dumb and do everything it takes to get to you, and they need to be in large numbers for them to be a real threat.

TFP will add as much zombies as the system they built allow for, without making it unstable. We have no idea how they coded the world. Perhaps it IS possible to built a world where a billion torches and 2 billion zombies on the same screen is possible, but then what do you have to sacrifice to have that ?

Stop focusing on one single aspect of the game, and consider that everything in the game has to work nice together, share the same backbone, and use the same resources.

Hey Roland, question for ya, do you know if the fun pimps have something like a wind turbine on the table for electricity? it wouldnt be that hard to make one outta scrap stuff for a different way of gaining electricity, would be fun, or maybe down the road a water generator that you simply place in water and it generates a small amount of electricity? it would lead people to make hydro electric dams and have them alter the terrain to make them since waterfalls are not a thing yet

But then we run into the issue of "creating a zombie for every exploit" that people dont seem to care for... No need for a zombie that can leap 4 blocks or a zombie that targets pillars specifically. Its just my opinion but those kinds of things veer into "silly" territory. And eventually you end up with a zombie for every type of build or design.

I very much want zombies that can thwart every type of build or design. When some people hear this, they seem to imagine an impossibly hard game that wouldn't be fun, but that's not what I'm after. I'm after the right levers & dials at the designer's fingertips to bring the game into balance. Pushing and pulling that one 'zombie count' lever isn't enough to balance things, because a million zombies would still be as ineffectual at certain things as any other number of zombies. It'd be like printing more copies of a struggling magazine, instead of writing better articles. That's why in my view quality has to take priority over quantity.

Hey Roland, question for ya, do you know if the fun pimps have something like a wind turbine on the table for electricity? it wouldnt be that hard to make one outta scrap stuff for a different way of gaining electricity, would be fun, or maybe down the road a water generator that you simply place in water and it generates a small amount of electricity? it would lead people to make hydro electric dams and have them alter the terrain to make them since waterfalls are not a thing yet

+1, I would like to see a wind turbine!

I think that in an apocalypse it would be easier to get than solar panels. You should also be able to craft your own from scracth, you don't need much: just an electric motor and propellers. Also it is not hard to code either..

Archived