Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Sure, but at that distance you could compare it to a club or knife and then it looses out. Because those don't need ammo and (AFAIK) do more damage. Blunderbuss would need something to differentiate it from other weapons. Maybe a very low but stacking damage-over-time to everyone hit. Luckily that will probably be possible in A17

It may not hold up statistically, but it sure as hell was fun when I did it recently. I hadn't used a blunderbuss since alpha 14 and I found it to be a very underwhelming weapon back then. I don't know if it was made stronger since then or if my sense of adventure has grown. Anyway, I had a recent playthrough where I was able to gather the materials for both the guna nd the ammo very early in the game and it was a really fun play style. The bang really adds to the adrenaline rush for me.

I was just looking into the stats on these weapons. Blunderbuss does 6 base damage on 10 rays, so it's good if you hit with more than 1. Wooden Club does 8 base damage. Hunting knife does 10 base damage Blunderbuss has the best critical hit chance. Knife has best increase in damage from base weapon to max quality, and also has the best headshot multiplier. Iron reinforced club and barbed club are incrementally better than wooden club. Spiked club outshines all by quite a bit, even the Hunting knife. Higher base damage, max damage, and headshot.

Somewhere back in the conversation, maybe even as far back as the A16 thread, I believe it was mention that revisiting the water physics was something slated for A18. If it managed to make its way into A17, I wouldn't cry, but I want those bandits more. And, fewer circling zeds. And a working stealth system. And... so forth.

Oh, I'm not talking about water physics...I know that is quite a ways off. I'm thinking more along the line of somehow replacing the missing water so it goes back to being placid rather than a constant whirlpool effect.

My thoughts are: if you're familiar with Google letting their DeepDream create pictures, I wonder if a quantum processor or true AI would do something similar with gaming. If people routinely outsmart the zombies, or zombies run in circles, could the computer figure out how to fix that or make the zombies deliberately attack structural points to collapse a building, or could the computer decide to dream, starting up your games and "playing" in them like a subconscious state.

I'm also interested in how much a quantum computer based AI could advance science and physics. Maybe the whole difference between our current technology and Star Trek or Matrix or Star Wars or fusion power is letting a sufficiently complex AI develop theories and perform experiments. Science is pretty routinely making discoveries that have long been thought "impossible". QP AI could give us leaps in science that make the last two centuries look like the stone age in comparison. Fingers crossed.

Well I guess this is where the confusion sets in...

The mainstream notion of AI is, that if your no longer able to tell, that your chatting with a program and not a human. Than that is equal to true AI.

It is not!

This is really VI... Which can be extremely complex, but it will never be true AI.

It is worth noting here, that as far as I know, no one has the slightest idea how to develop an Quantum AI...

We haven't even been able to construct convincing neuronet models using conventional computer mechanics yet.

A QC may make this neuronet integration easier with time, but no one knows how.

And let's just get the 1st iteration of the thing first, before the imagination starts to run wild ;)

Edit:

What it currently looks like a QC would be excellent at, would be f.eks spacenavigation. Very very very complex calculations, can be answered with very good probability, near instantly... You do them over and over, to keep on course... Could be very efficient.

In research of all fields the currently envisioned QC would be invaluable! You could simply not compete without it...

Shell casings are hard to see on the ground, if you want to spend the time to find them all then be my guest but I would leave them on the ground if it wasn't automatic.

Thought before snark, what a novel idea.

And bullets would be embedded in wood, ground, bodies. Not easy to find and extract IRL.

I imagine quantum computing could also do some tasks for games.

For example, i've read that it can very efficiently calculate the path of least resistance. It could be used to calculate water physics - it should flow to where there is least resistance..., but traditional computing would still be used to render the graphics of it on your display.

And bullets would be embedded in wood, ground, bodies. Not easy to find and extract IRL.

But I think the original poster was referring to spent shell casings (brass) rather than the actual bullets. I tend to agree that it would be nice to recover brass as well as arrows and bolts.

Agreed which is why ideally we would only get the bullets from bodies that we carve up after the kill,

instead of when you loot it, that would also encourage corpse clean up.

Make them appear actual size on the ground within the game. Be careful what you wish for and all that. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed which is why ideally we would only get the bullets from bodies that we carve up after the kill,

Oooh... another weird use of a wrench!

Make them appear actual size on the ground within the game. Be careful what you wish for and all that. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh... another weird use of a wrench!

And a % chance to ralph

-20 Hydration

-20 Fullness

-2 Wellness

Let's not go reinventing the wheel as far as brass goes. Add a brass catcher as a mod for guns.

2732603_02_brass_catcher_640.jpg

Nice idea.

@fataal

Would be nice with turrets too.

That’s how you can return your bullets casings back (brass).

And also will work with new weapon modding system.

What do you think fataal?

Thanks for the info. But you forgot one thing. I was also talking about the temp. In this game all deserts are hot. Hot as in frying an egg on a rock hot. The burnt forest and the wasteland are the same way. On the other hand the now biome is very cold. So go from sweltering heat to below freezing in five steps is a bit extreme.

Maybe it the temp changed gradually the closer you got to a colder or hotter biome.

Let's not go reinventing the wheel as far as brass goes. Add a brass catcher as a mod for guns.

2732603_02_brass_catcher_640.jpg

The one problem I see with this is that you would have to empty it every so often. Otherwise the weapon would jam.

If your not carful, it can jam at a very bad time.

The one problem I see with this is that you would have to empty it every so often. Otherwise the weapon would jam.

If your not carful, it can jam at a very bad time.

Perhaps the mod/attachment makes reload time longer to compensate for emptying brass catcher. And the mod could be coded as a buff that returns 1 bullet casing every time the player shoots, or maybe % chance of returning bullet casing based on quality level

Would only make sense if it was basically scrap lead, and not usable bullet tips. Brass should also not be in the body. :p

Would only make sense if it was basically scrap lead, and not usable bullet tips. Brass should also not be in the body. :p

You kinda missed the earlier conversation where I talked about brass being auto policed instead of having to pick it up off the ground, so yeah I never inferred that you would get shell casings off of the body.

You kinda missed the earlier conversation where I talked about brass being auto policed instead of having to pick it up off the ground, so yeah I never inferred that you would get shell casings off of the body.

Was hoping that was the case. :) But yea, scrap lead.

Archived