Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The game used to have gun crafting and I found it quite fun. Never stopped me from exploring. Hard for me to believe that guns are the line people don’t want to cross in terms of unrealistic crafting. This isn’t new territory. The game was extremely enjoyable (for me) back when guns could be crafted......with molds.....on a forge.

Besides, the search for mods will be a major driving factor for exploration because customizing your gun will be very motivational.

I agree as long as there are enough skill/perk walls to prevent a day one sniper rifle.

Also! any words on permadeath and buyable/craftable lifes/thingy/stimpack/elixir in order to have a thrilling and meaningful death?

Being able to painfully obtain new lifes to be wasted would be an amazing step forward, with " the savegame will be deleted once the admin is dead" feel all over the place. No more jumping off a skyscrapper if you don't have enough lifes ya know?

:strawberry::strawberry::strawberry::02.47-tranquillity:

Why not give a toggle run and a run button?! That way everyone's happy. I kinda thought this is standard.

Also: craftable weapons is a bit unrealistic. But that's not what bothers me. Thos scope mods look really ridiculous. They are way to big, folks. There was more scope than pistol. Please consider this.

Have you ever looked at a scoped pistol? There usually is more scope than pistol that's typically why it's not done. Take a quick image search for scoped pistols and you'll see.

Guppy has a Youtube channel?

I do, but it sucks; it's mostly so I can put videos for specific people, or to link things like the throwing knives, but it works for me. :)

@Madmole

Looks like y'all changed the ground texture a bit? Added some sort of fronds? Any other artistic changes coming up?

Also, any words on Bullets. In Vanilla we have limited bullets and having fast firing AK need like 1000s bullets in single horde night .. yup I am crazy firing them ... So, if we can have an 10% better chance of getting bullets will be great for my style :).

In a Random gen map wrenching cars with 2+ levels of Bad Mechanic will yield lot's of radiators which will supply you with more brass than you will ever need, you can spray bullets until your trigger finger falls off.

The reason I mention random gen maps is because Navezgane as of 16.4 has a finite number of cars and once you run out you are just done.

I think Joel had mentioned adding in respawning cars once but after that I never heard anything more about it so I don't know if it got implemented or not, time will tell I guess.

I know games take time but seriously... This game was supposed to be done like 2 years ago. At this updates rate its not going to be out anywhere near as you saying sooner than we expect. How many people work on this game? Besides the zombie bugs and micro shuttering since day one I love the game its just taking sooo long.

I do, but it sucks; it's mostly so I can put videos for specific people, or to link things like the throwing knives, but it works for me. :)

@Madmole

Looks like y'all changed the ground texture a bit? Added some sort of fronds? Any other artistic changes coming up?

Waiting since years for your medieval mod and watching every video.

any release date ? ;)

Ah yeah. Crafting a gun out of different components is unrealistic of course. No-one keeps gun parts like that around in his/her house. Opposing this, crafting a gun out of forged steel, wood and plastic is very realistic..

My uncle used to make his own bullets. He also had a lot of guns and parts in his home. Everything from revolvers to an AK-47.

I know games take time but seriously... This game was supposed to be done like 2 years ago. At this updates rate its not going to be out anywhere near as you saying sooner than we expect. How many people work on this game? Besides the zombie bugs and micro shuttering since day one I love the game its just taking sooo long.

I haven't played another game with the unity 17 engine but I'm guessing the game will run better than it has in the past considering unity 17 was designed and built around the latest hardware.

Waiting since years for your medieval mod and watching every video.

any release date ? ;)

Hopefully prior to a17. =)

...making decent progress; had to redo all of the textures, I'm most of the way finished replacing sounds, most of the prefabs are done, just got the rideable horse code (thanks Emu!), blight code is done (thanks Stompy!), all new entities/weapons are in and scope creep is having me put even more custom blocks in. Icons are mostly made, so at this point it's just finishing up the above items then doing recipes/quests/buffs/skills. Real life keeps getting in the way though. In the end I just hope the damn thing is fun to play. :)

@A17ontopic

I don't care if guns are realistic, as long as they're fun. With what MM showed and Kin talked about, it's pretty apparent we'll be able to make whatever kind of gun we want, and have it do whatever kind of buff is available, so infection dart guns are going to be a thing at some point. And that will rule.

Roland hinted at bandits one time since this whole things started, so I don't think we're getting them in a17 which is fine by me, as long as they're in eventually... beta, alpha, dlc, gold... all just names that don't mean crap, since the game will only be "finished" when they finish adding evreything. And that seems like it'll take a while, which is ALSO fine by me.

Have you ever looked at a scoped pistol? There usually is more scope than pistol that's typically why it's not done. Take a quick image search for scoped pistols and you'll see.

I checked that out Owl legged one. The scopes seem to very in size, and scope (pun intended) ;). I saw a range of scopes that varied from just bigger than the bridge of the gun to some that were IMO just an overkill.

I even seen what looked like a sniper scope on a revolver. Looked like a train car sitting on a minivan. Sadly I think the scope's capability would greatly out classed that of the revolver's.

So it really depends on the scope you use.

Pistils are small and used for short range due to there accuracy . So only a small scope is needed. That's if you want one at all. :)

Thank you MM for the video! This wave of updates we have been getting has been awesome!

About the guns: I agree with Roland that when we used to be able to craft them it was a lot of fun. I also think that we will have to go looting for mods so the exploring portion is unchanged. I am not too worried about being able to craft guns early, because they will be unmoded and not very good at all. A Brown (1 -99) gun may do less damage then a Brown Crossbow. I do like the idea of special crafting stations that require power. That puts a nice balancing point on being able to craft a gun.

On the 'Reality' of things: This is a line that we all draw in these games. And we all draw it in different places. Let's not forget that our character are already able to do MANY things that each requires years of training to be able to make. Or not even make....How about repairing? We can currently repair an engine by clicking on a 'Repair Kit'. Is that realistic? Of course not. Repairing engines take highly calibrated machines. So while I totally get the sentiment and draw these lines with things myself, let's not get all up and arms because this is 'unrealistic'. The VAST majority of the game is unrealistic.

Lastly, Looking forward to A17! Love that it is a revamp of the whole game and being treated like a Beta. Can't wait for launch and exploring the new experience!

On the 'Reality' of things: This is a line that we all draw in these games. And we all draw it in different places. Let's not forget that our character are already able to do MANY things that each requires years of training to be able to make. Or not even make....How about repairing? We can currently repair an engine by clicking on a 'Repair Kit'. Is that realistic? Of course not. Repairing engines take highly calibrated machines. So while I totally get the sentiment and draw these lines with things myself, let's not get all up and arms because this is 'unrealistic'. The VAST majority of the game is unrealistic.

I dont know what you're talking about, unrealistic. I run around breaking down cars with only a wrench and getting tons of short iron pipes and plethora of radiators all the while im making 500 perfectly aerodynamic stone arrows that only use stone wood & feathers.

I agree with you 100%, i just enjoy sarcasm! I liked the way the health bars changed to your target, but i wouldn't mind a hotkey to turn it on/off.

im very excited for those mods, that auto pistol.. so sweet!

I dont know what you're talking about, unrealistic. I run around breaking down cars with only a wrench and getting tons of short iron pipes and plethora of radiators all the while im making 500 perfectly aerodynamic stone arrows that only use stone wood & feathers.

I agree with you 100%, i just enjoy sarcasm! I liked the way the health bars changed to your target, but i wouldn't mind a hotkey to turn it on/off.

Love the sarcasm!

And agree that turning the pistol into an Uzi was awesome.

+1

Just because some peepz "know guns" the game doesnt need to turn into a gunsimulator. Crafting guns was fun back in the days! Who cares its not realistic.

Cheers

Hopefully prior to a17. =)

...making decent progress; had to redo all of the textures, I'm most of the way finished replacing sounds, most of the prefabs are done, just got the rideable horse code (thanks Emu!), blight code is done (thanks Stompy!), all new entities/weapons are in and scope creep is having me put even more custom blocks in. Icons are mostly made, so at this point it's just finishing up the above items then doing recipes/quests/buffs/skills. Real life keeps getting in the way though. In the end I just hope the damn thing is fun to play. :)

Thank you for your quick and comprehensively answer! I am looking forward for it :)

Btw. years ago HAL created a mod for fire... I would love to see that kind of mod in a mod-pack.

Thank you for your quick and comprehensively answer! I am looking forward for it :)

Btw. years ago HAL created a mod for fire... I would love to see that kind of mod in a mod-pack.

Been trying to get that away from him, but he won't give it up yet. :) Stompy has some ideas on how to get it done, and with his blight code, it should be doable. But that'll be for Book II.

Been trying to get that away from him, but he won't give it up yet. :) Stompy has some ideas on how to get it done, and with his blight code, it should be doable. But that'll be for Book II.

fire would be awesome ... and as bonus: you dont need to code the interaction with water since water doesnt work / flow in vanilla ;)

but one more question: The textures look very low res. Is it possible to get them to a higher resolution ?

and another one: there is a technique (dont know the name) for 3d games where you put a invisible layer of grayscales over textures this layer defines how much the 3d model (where the texture lies on) get bend. equal to the game maps where a similar layer defines the height of the terrain - if I got that right. I think its a feature of DirectX 11. I f you know what I mean: Why does 7 days now uses this stuff ? As far as I got it is not more than the implementation of this lets say alpha 3d map (its wrong notion but I simply dont know how its called). you know what I mean ?

can we expect some optimizations on collapsing in A17? so it doesnt lag whole server

Pimps, if you guys haven't seen it already, you might want to take a look at the interface Subquake made for his Undead Legacy mod. The interface is absolutely fantastic.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?52085-Undead-Legacy-More-loot-gear-recipes-custom-ui-rebalancing

original 7dtd interface is way better than this.

Just to be clear to everyone. We love our game and we want to make the best game we possibly can.

I pushed for removing and replacing the systems for a reason and it's not because I simply wanted to rewrite it. It needed to be done. While some people may not find it exciting, it doesn't make the changes any less needed or any less great for content creation going forward.

All of the thinly veiled insults, mean comments, and talking down on us does nothing but add irritation and stress to the process. Honestly, why do some of you talk so rudely to the folks making a game you like? I honestly don't understand it.

We are people too and are doing the best we can as fast as we can. Don't make the process more painful than it needs to be.

If you love the game, do me a favor and think about this post next time you want to comment about how you think we don't know what we're doing, or that we're off sipping margaritas somewhere, or that we have 10 new people so we should be moving faster.

To those that show trust and support, a massive THANK YOU from me personally.

A football player can run a touchdown but it's much more enjoyable to do when people are cheering you on. :)

we trust you guys, thats why we backed and have been waiting years to play the final game (meanwhile also enjoying the alpha :p)

There is something to be said for new preset maps. Rangen is cool; but you can get a better experience from a map that someone put thought into.

A map that is designed (by someone who understands how) just makes more sense and feels more natural than a random map,

Ofc the downside is that it has less replay value. But that is what rangen is for.

I am a random gen map guy myself. But I would like to test out some hand crafted maps once they get the bandits and more story line elements implemented. I would not be too surprised if they work on putting out a few more maps once the game goes gold.

Archived