Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I will play A17 how ever TFP wanted it played. I will explore the in's and out's, up and down. Then I will play some more and breath the game in, get in the spirit of how it was meant to be played.

THEN I will have an opinion people might want to hear. Opinions before experience are usually silly.

well i finally caught myself up. i will say the hope things get better for this game is rising. the gyrocoptor looks cool. my only 2 cents on that is don't make it fly like a plane. helecoptors are best used when you can float and go vertical and horizontal. better for raiding bases.

weapon mods are pretty nice adds a good mechanic to the game.

hope things keep improving. i also hope that the realization has kicked in that people will always be on servers where pvp is the thing. its more popular. so i hope multiplayer and pvp gets some love.

also i like that hp/xp bar idea for development status, really nice touch. i can see not to expect a17 for another month at least. but i will be playing and hopefully get some more game time in.

hope things keep improving. i also hope that the realization has kicked in that people will always be on servers where pvp is the thing. its more popular. so i hope multiplayer and pvp gets some love.

Have some numbers on that? I allways felt it was PVE that is mostly played.

Cheers

well sure, there are always people that do not play online at all.

however. its not always about "numbers" persey, regarding online play. when you look at most popular servers. and can see how many players have played on your server. for x amount of time the numbers are astronomical. (i was a server admin on Zombie West.) point is through any given alpha (from start of Ax to the end of said Alpha) we had close to 1.5k players that played for more then a day and our server max was 30 players. and thats just our server. on any 24 hour peak of players playing in 24 hours (on steam db alone recently) there are about 9k players all time peak for 8 months ago was 32k. there are prob about a dozen servers that rank most popular online, and 99% of them are pvp. so if the average pvp server gets about 1.5 k players through their server through the entire alpha that played for more then a day thats half the 35k players peak from 8 months ago. also that 8 month ago peak was when the pvp servers were flourishing. so going from 35k player peak in the last 24 hours 8 moths ago, to about 9k in the last 24 hours recently (that drop happened when the pvp servers have pretty much died in anticipation for the next alpha) that pretty much speaks for itself that pvp is really popular in this game.

I will play A17 how ever TFP wanted it played. I will explore the in's and out's, up and down. Then I will play some more and breath the game in, get in the spirit of how it was meant to be played.

THEN I will have an opinion people might want to hear. Opinions before experience are usually silly.

Hear hear

Ahh! No more opinions or suggestions then ok! Just the usual silly dribble we see everyday.. carry on!

Programming and system design is stressful enough on it's own. I'm not digging ditches here. ;)

Stop trying to appease the gotta have now crowd. When its done its done. Shame on them for not reading the early access description. Keep up the good work!

Hmmz. You must look at another list then.

I just checked https://7daystodie-servers.com/

2 most popular are PVE and rest of top 20 is about 50/50 PVP/PVE. So 99% is a bit over the top i think.

Im all for the game getting some PVP love, but stating that its more popular than PVE or the only populated servers are PVP is incorrect imo.

Cheers

Historically speaking, to PVPers any game that allows PvP is a PvP game. And usually to that same crowd any game that allows PvP should be played that way because PvE is inferior in every way on the fun-o-meter.

Am I doing this instigation thing right?

Hmmz. You must look at another list then.

I just checked https://7daystodie-servers.com/

this is recent more today then all time. check it again when alpha 17 drops and i guerentee you pvp will be more popular again. trust me we crunched all these numbers when our pvp server and other servers that were being played the most at that time. pvp popularity drops after a while during an alpha because of 2 reason, next alpha. or people get tired of pvp because of all the bugs/hackers hackers are the biggest problem that kills pvp servers, because on pve servers you can turn friendly fire off. so if players start killing other players or destroying bases you just ban them. on pvp servers your admins have to investigate and determine that players is indeed hacking. so after a while pvpr's tend to fall off the grid because hacking can't be properly addressed during alpha stage. and my numbers on our server were more from memory. i do remember however we had prob around 5-6k players pass through our server alone. and we banned the eastern hemisphere from our server because of hacking/griefing. and you gotta remember i'm comparing today to 8 months ago when i was active on my server. and more servers were flourishing.

Historically speaking, to PVPers any game that allows PvP is a PvP game. And usually to that same crowd any game that allows PvP should be played that way because PvE is inferior in every way on the fun-o-meter.

I wouldnt know lol. I am 100% PVE player/owner/admin. I just hate the PVP sadism. :p

Cheers

I know games take time but seriously... This game was supposed to be done like 2 years ago. At this updates rate its not going to be out anywhere near as you saying sooner than we expect. How many people work on this game? Besides the zombie bugs and micro shuttering since day one I love the game its just taking sooo long.

Lol. :rolleyes:

well i finally caught myself up. i will say the hope things get better for this game is rising. the gyrocoptor looks cool. my only 2 cents on that is don't make it fly like a plane. helecoptors are best used when you can float and go vertical and horizontal. better for raiding bases.

Then it wouldn't be a gyrocopter. If they wanted a helicopter, I'm pretty sure that's what they would've added. I'm guessing that would be way overpowered.

no your not. most gamers (like myself) don't care that there are pver's. we understand that everyone has their preferences, we (pvpr's) just like pvp better because it adds more dangerous elements to the game and is more challenging because were actually facing real life people that make real decisions. and AI will never measure up to real life players (at least not yet) pve all you want. doesn't matter to me none i just like the pvp crowd better.

and i don't believe this game should be strictly pvp, i believe this game has the potential to adhere to both aspects of gaming, it does have a decent pve aspect. HOWEVER, once you get to a certain point in the game the challenge of PVE drops to nothing. you literally don't ahve to worry anymore because your zombie grinder is top notch and they can't ever destroy it and you don't even have to be near your base anymore so theres no threat to your base with your grinder because your always there on horde night.

pvp adds a different element of danger to your base in late game. early game everyone is building their bases thinking of ways to outsmart the other players that will inevitably attempt to raid your base. and or attack you while your out looting. speaking of which late game looting in pve practically doesn't exist because late game your completely self sufficient. and never have to leave again.

pvp adds a loop to the game, you build up get more self sufficient and the more you do that the more chance your base will be raided then you have to start all over again.

i'm not saying one superior to the other i'm saying they are two totally different aspects to the game. and one aspect shouldn't be favored over the other because of one reason. there are two types of gamers PVE gamers and PVP gamers. and it has been said by the pvp gamers. if pvp doesn't get some love. the game will lose the pvpr's and i've seen some games die because of the flip side of that, PVE never got love so they all left.

this type of game is a double edged sword, a two sided coin. favoring one side will inevitably kill your game in the long run.

Then it wouldn't be a gyrocopter. If they wanted a helicopter, I'm pretty sure that's what they would've added. I'm guessing that would be way overpowered.

but tahts the thing a gyrocopter doesn't fly like a plane either it fly's like a gyrocopter. so i guess the ending point would be make it fly like gyro-copter and not a plane or a helicopter. there happy?

The forums should be PVP.

I think Roland is a bot, though. They're testing the new AI system out using his account.

They could test AI on Roland`s account. Be vigilent. Sort of , "I have your name from the forums and I am gonna send you hell. With few retired good boy doggos". Watch your words here.

fire would be awesome ... and as bonus: you dont need to code the interaction with water since water doesnt work / flow in vanilla ;)

but one more question: The textures look very low res. Is it possible to get them to a higher resolution ?

and another one: there is a technique (dont know the name) for 3d games where you put a invisible layer of grayscales over textures this layer defines how much the 3d model (where the texture lies on) get bend. equal to the game maps where a similar layer defines the height of the terrain - if I got that right. I think its a feature of DirectX 11. I f you know what I mean: Why does 7 days now uses this stuff ? As far as I got it is not more than the implementation of this lets say alpha 3d map (its wrong notion but I simply dont know how its called). you know what I mean ?

You have normal maps (gives it a 3d look), occlusion, specular, diffuse, and um... one more I think. Reflectiveness, reaction to light, etc... I'm still personally struggling with them for my mod because they don't look like in game what they look like outside of the game, so my /guess/ is tfp has a custom shader and a custom tool to make their own maps.

Definitely more a @madmole question since he's the BAOC (Big Artist On Campus).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I usually record from my laptop, where the resolutions are way lower; they look pretty good on my desktop pc.

I must side on this with Archergod.

i wanna choose. i don't use a keyboard for gaming. i use a razer keypad. so much easier on the hands and pinky's. i prefer holding for sprint. because i forget to toggle when i wanna stop.

i wanna choose. i don't use a keyboard for gaming. i use a razer keypad. so much easier on the hands and pinky's. i prefer holding for sprint. because i forget to toggle when i wanna stop.

@ #togglerungate

I concur, I hope we get a choice. I don't want to overshoot a parkour jump because of some slip up with run.

Archived