Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I am very much looking forward to the new vehicles but bitterly disappointed the ziplines were cut, they looked sweet in the a16 previews. :(

Yeah, that really is too bad. But it wasn't really a big or important feature, so I guess I can kind of see why it might've been dropped.

So the system itself is not really going bye bye per se, but rather generic pieces are being exchanged for parts that are more salient?

Pretty much.

An upgrade/mod/whatchamacallits would have a tangible effect. Maybe a crazy effect. It probably won't be "3% more durability". Lots of balls are in the air right now...

We're moving things around. There is only so much storage for attributes and such. Would you rather have a "bike seat" that does nothing really, or be able to add armor to that bolt on slot? The initial release we just sort of filled those slots with stupid ♥♥♥♥ and nerfed things to simualate growth. Yes gun parts are probably going bye bye to make room for real mods. Nobody ever liked tearing guns down and combining ♥♥♥♥ just to un-nerf its intended use. This is just another sharp stick, I promise you you will not miss. The real fun is crafting something decent, then upgrading it to something badass. That is the overarching goal here.

The good news? Player gun crafting. Then you seek out legendary "parts" to add to them, etc. Those slots wasted on barrels handgrips, etc can be used for diablo like mod slots.

I mean nobody gets excited about finding an old handgrip in a box. But finding a full firearm that can be used is much more useful. Instead of tearing it down, repairing each part, combining a few parts, etc (all tedium), you would combine/repair two whole guns into one. Its the same mechanic without the micro assembly nonsense. That part would be used to install mods, which is way more rewarding. Real mods that are coded in to do cool ♥♥♥♥, not just simple un-nerfs to get a useless gun barely usable.

You can disagree, but all it is, is people getting used to old fluff that we used to fill out an incomplete system. The finished system with mods and legendary weapons will be way cooler. But its still in its conceptual stage at this point, but whatever we decide on for guns is going to be the same system for vehicles.

With mods you mean silencers, different types of scopes, lasers, grips with more bullet capacity... etc.?

Pretty much.

An upgrade/mod/whatchamacallits would have a tangible effect. Maybe a crazy effect. It probably won't be "3% more durability". Lots of balls are in the air right now...

I was thinking more conventional attachments myself, like maybe you could slap a scope, silencer, and / or forgrip on a gun.

Stat mods could be quite interesting too if that's what you're aiming for. If done right that could include the above and be even more interesting, actually. Like an ARPG sort of system.

Joel,

will the spawining of future new traders, bandids, different new characters will depend of players progress or leveling. If they appear in any gamestage (in reasonable limits) would be fun to know that there is something great that we can buy close to us, but can`t afford it (yet) and make us stay where we are in a matter to get it . Like the bycicle in early stage or the new bike in later game. Just curious. I know its early to think about this.

You can disagree, but all it is, is people getting used to old fluff that we used to fill out an incomplete system. The finished system with mods and legendary weapons will be way cooler. But its still in its conceptual stage at this point, but whatever we decide on for guns is going to be the same system for vehicles.

waaaaaaaaait wait wait wait.... shut the front door...

I completely glossed over that last statement. Is this a tease to having things like upgradable storage on vehicles, weaponized vehicles, maybe attaching side cars to bikes and such (if multiplayer transports behave in game)? I.E. Removing the fluff used to fill out the incomplete system (bike parts) and making those slots functional and made to enhance the vehicle?

That motorcycle is a monstrosity. It should never be added to the game. No one in there right mind would ride that in a zombie apocalypse. I demand it be excluded from being put in the game. It's just not fitting in with the...............damn it I can't do it. Yes I want to ride it, but I am always the last one on a server to get a minibike....if I even get one at all. There are suppose to be 2 bikes added. Guess which one I will be sitting on when everyone rides up beside me on their new hog. Think they will envy me when I ring my shiny bell...... Didn't think so... (sigh). Guess I can always mod in a pair...

Hey, I believe Sirilion put a screamer's scream as a replacement for the minibike ring in his mod. How about that? :)

We're moving things around. There is only so much storage for attributes and such. Would you rather have a "bike seat" that does nothing really, or be able to add armor to that bolt on slot? The initial release we just sort of filled those slots with stupid ♥♥♥♥ and nerfed things to simualate growth. Yes gun parts are probably going bye bye to make room for real mods. Nobody ever liked tearing guns down and combining ♥♥♥♥ just to un-nerf its intended use. This is just another sharp stick, I promise you you will not miss. The real fun is crafting something decent, then upgrading it to something badass. That is the overarching goal here.

The good news? Player gun crafting. Then you seek out legendary "parts" to add to them, etc. Those slots wasted on barrels handgrips, etc can be used for diablo like mod slots.

I mean nobody gets excited about finding an old handgrip in a box. But finding a full firearm that can be used is much more useful. Instead of tearing it down, repairing each part, combining a few parts, etc (all tedium), you would combine/repair two whole guns into one. Its the same mechanic without the micro assembly nonsense. That part would be used to install mods, which is way more rewarding. Real mods that are coded in to do cool ♥♥♥♥, not just simple un-nerfs to get a useless gun barely usable.

Best news I've heard all day!

That's possible because right now the gun "parts" are micromanagement without any gameplay purpose whatsoever.

There is no case where it would be beneficial to swap out a gun part for a different gun part - except when it's obviously higher QL... and that's not a choice.

You wouldn't have to... except when certain upgrades actually make sense, like installing a bigger cargo basket instead of a small one or installing added armor instead of a 2nd saddle bag. No way to tell what the final design will look like.

Only that it won't be as "meh" as upgrading the QL 301 part with an identical QL307 part.

Come on, now! While QL307 is *clearly* the superior part, QL301 has that old vintage look going for it which is going to give the survivor major style points!

New vehicle system is coming along!

DLaZ17HU8AEGu8o.jpg

Shawn has been working hard on a new vehicle system! All new real physics, no falling through the world, feels so natural now!

Yes the old stuff is gone, RIP. New physics are great, feels like GTA.

Hopefully [bikes can be painted] at some point. Its very easy to mod in other colors.

Yes!!! a bike! with FAT tires and room for a BASKET. make sure I can add a bike chain to lock it.

Its going to be a combination of some serious stat mod and some coded in special action stuff. And the system isn't just guns. Its a unified vehicle, weapon and clothing mod system. Tired of broken legs? Wear some legendary boots or mod your boots out with some kind of widget that reduces fall damage or specifically blocks / reduces broken leg chance.

Right now no matter what your skills are and no matter what you are wearing you have the same chance to get infected, bleed, get a broken leg, etc. Once the new system is completed, it will filter all your resistances to damage types after the roll and that will be your chance to get it, which could be 0% with enough gear/skill.

Can we get FLAMING FISTS!?!

Zip, I'm safe, game over, hahahahaa. Oh wait I'm bored.

You took out an eagerly anticipated and unique mechanic because of that?

Surely there is a way to balance zip-lines such as Z's attacking the rope if they get snagged on it or snapping the line as the player traverses it.

You took out an eagerly anticipated and unique mechanic because of that?

Surely there is a way to balance zip-lines such as Z's attacking the rope if they get snagged on it or snapping the line as the player traverses it.

As Roland mentioned a bit back, it was also due to scope creep. It wasn't a planned on feature, adding it in, requires more time and resources, when there are still things that need to be completed that were promised. I'm sure some people are disappointed, but... something has to give and it looks like, this time it was zip lines. Maybe they'll be back after release, or 7D2D 2, etc.

Yeah. Let's put "cool stuff" on the planned features list. ;)

lol, that makes Nostradamus look specific.

Also, that could be really hard, or stupidly easy to implement. I might want all the "cool stuff" but get only two cool things, it would count as "cool stuff", but that just sucks because I wanted all the "cool stuff".

I'll scream and throw tantrums before articulating them in all caps on the forums in a good bye post before coming back a week later. There will be bold letters and red text mind you!

I'm definitely looking forward to more unique traders with different specialties. Some other areas for specialization would be medicine, construction, electricity, and mining. Or if you like: Trader Wellman, Trader Bilt, Trader Sparky, and Trader Diggory. :D

Will you also be updating how trader settlements work, e.g. replacing their invulnerability & teleport effect? That's been described as a temporary measure, and updating it now would seem to go hand in hand with some of these other changes.

Zip, I'm safe, game over, hahahahaa. Oh wait I'm bored.

Wait though, doesn't that also describe the vehicles you're working on? :p

This is great to hear! I never liked gun parts. I live in Texas and I have a big ass gun safe with lots of guns. the only parts in there are scopes, mags/clips, speed loaders, cleaning kits and a lot of ammo. so yeah let me find a gun and find or make Scopes/sights/mags/silencers/tripod. the tripod would increase range accuracy but make setup slower.

I love the bicycle. make a folding bike so I can throw it in my pack. I never liked the concept that I could take apart a mini bike and put it in my pack.

That's possible because right now the gun "parts" are micromanagement without any gameplay purpose whatsoever.

There is no case where it would be beneficial to swap out a gun part for a different gun part - except when it's obviously higher QL... and that's not a choice.

Well that sounds great to me Gazz :)

This will get buried under the coolness that MM has been posting. Maybe I'll find a better place elsewhere.

Simple Ideas:

1. Small flashy beacon on supply crates. I'm talking tiny, but enough that I can distinguish the crate from all the desert brush. Then, make the beacon only last a day? until the next supply crate? (I love going to hunt for supply crates with map markers off. I even ran across one that nobody on the server ever bothered to pick up. This time, though, it was really hard to spot in the desert and took far longer than I wanted.)

2. Let us rearrange our crafting queue. I was making a bunch of cobblestones, but then I needed to make a few ladders. Wait 6 minutes for 2 seconds of ladders that I need more immediately? Uhhh, no. However, it was annoying to cancel the cobblestones and then queue them up again. Would have been nice to click and drag them backward in the queue. (If this doesn't get changed, no big deal, but it would be a nice convenience feature.)

Archived