Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

It won't because you'll be seeing the block hp bars instead....

Jerk. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wish I was lying. I never once got to try them out as they were never added to any build. So....editor.

No, I believe THAT part, but "it only works because it's in the editor" is the part I'm struggling with. Unity IS the compiler, so if it works in there, then it would work if they compiled it.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I believe THAT part, but "it only works because it's in the editor" is the part I'm struggling with. Unity IS the compiler, so if it works in there, then it would work if they compiled it.

Not entirely true, there are a few things in unity that do not work in builds, scriptable objects for example, depending on how they were created, will not work in runtime on a build.

I'm sure there are other things that won't.

Seriously though, zip line would just be a spline crawler, eeezy, common tfp!

I wonder why they were cut (see what I did there?).

Worked fine in the demo, I guess they didn't feel like fixing the clipping.

Just a few guesses:

1) How would the player setup a zipline during gameplay (ie. batman grappling hook?)

2) How do you balance ziplines in with all the other features already in the game without trivializing them? (i.e. 7 day horde, Skyscrapper dungeons, etc.)

They probably ran into a bunch of these types of questions and decided that they better focus on whats on their plate already before adding yet another feature.

Just a few guesses:

1) How would the player setup a zipline during gameplay (ie. batman grappling hook?)

2) How do you balance ziplines in with all the other features already in the game without trivializing them? (i.e. 7 day horde, Skyscrapper dungeons, etc.)

They probably ran into a bunch of these types of questions and decided that they better focus on whats on their plate already before adding yet another feature.

I’d say no to the Batman grappling hook gun or shooting a line attached to an arrow. To be balanced they would need to be structures that you would build well in advance and hook up as part of base design or for creating a network of rooftop traveling or crossing a river.

No 7 Days to Just Cause. The quick getaway of shooting a line and zipping away would be too easy plus it would make base assaulting way too simple. That’s why there are no air vehicles in the game.

Oh wait...

Just a few guesses:

All of your questions make sense until you see the gyro copter. No excuse for such a thing to exist in a survival game if we are using the above 2 questions as a basis for not adding the ziplines at least.

All of your questions make sense until you see the gyro copter. No excuse for such a thing to exist in a survival game if we are using the above 2 questions as a basis for not adding the ziplines at least.

The problem with the gyro copter is: If you can land on every primary POI's roof it's "GG done!" as the top section of the POI's are where the good loot is (in A16 at least).

The Gyrocopter, like the airship should be VERY late game items that just allow someone who has already beaten the game to have a few laughs AND as a tool to bring the player to a part2. IMO the airship is actually better for a part2 as TFP's can realistically put the player at any point in the world, crash it if they want and start part 2!

Ziplines will just break the Tower Defense aspect of the game which is no loss to me.

Just a quick question for the fun pimps:

Now that there is going to be a new buff/debuff system for players, items etc, does this mean that zombie attacks will be given access to any new forms of attack: Ie Ice zombie - cause hypothermia, snake handlers inflict poison, radiated zombies cause radiation damage, nurses that disable a player from healing etc. etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing simple rappelling added. The 40 story drop onto haybales with no damage is pretty cheesy.

Never done it but can't you just scale a highrise with ladders to the upper floors then jump down onto haybales if you wanted to?

And personally I'd gladly trade all the new vehicles for a shield. It's a bit boggling that those haven't been added...

Though my single greatest wish is for some new block/s that could compete with the pole defense. Frankly pretty burned out on making basically the same base every time. If you need/want to be able to melee, loot & collect bones then nothing else really comes close to poles and spikes. Especially early to mid-ish game. Hell, even just adding 45 & 30 degree (ramps & wedges) options for something pole-ish so we could build something non-square would be a welcome addition.

hmm. sry, bit grumpy; got woken up by neighbors dogs barking yet again. :upset:

Ziplines will just break the Tower Defense aspect of the game which is no loss to me.

How exactly?

If you have to set up the zip lines in advance, i see no problem. Where ever you zip-line, the horde will follow and tower defense continues. You can already build off the ground escaping bridges between towers.

If you make zip lines take stamina as well, you can limit endless zip-lining and add the risk of falling from it.

The way i'd like it done:

1. Build 2 anchors.

2. Place one of them.

3. Attach one end of the line to an arrow and shoot it.

4. Go to other end and place another anchor.

5. Take the zip line from the arrow and attach it to the anchor.

None taken. When I experienced it for the first time I thought it was awesome and still do. Not everyone is going to feel excited by everything in the game. Tons of people are on the edge of their seats for vehicles but not Ouch. I think sticky arrows are a blast to play with and just love it for its own merits but you could care less about it and Snowdog apparently hates it if doesn't come with retrieval at exactly the same moment in the development process. :)

Different strokes for different folks. Every hint I gave had exactly to do with sticky arrows but it was a hype move so I knew that some of you would latch onto your own pet hopes for the game and think that Everdeen meant that. Others who are not like you guys who have been wanting sticky arrows will be thrilled.

Haha, thanks for the reply mate. It's not that I don't like sticky arrows. I just had expected a bit.. more.. for this unannounced/secret features.

How exactly?

If you have to set up the zip lines in advance, i see no problem. Where ever you zip-line, the horde will follow and tower defense continues. You can already build off the ground escaping bridges between towers.

If you make zip lines take stamina as well, you can limit endless zip-lining and add the risk of falling from it.

The way i'd like it done:

1. Build 2 anchors.

2. Place one of them.

3. Attach one end of the line to an arrow and shoot it.

4. Go to other end and place another anchor.

5. Take the zip line from the arrow and attach it to the anchor.

If you can make ziplines like they were in the video then you come and go from your fort using only ziplines that begin and end outside of the chunk that has the zombies spawn from.

Zombies spawn, find no bread crumbs and then what? If the "Then what" is an A16 AI attack then you go to an A16 defense using zip lines:

A16 AI defense using Zip lines:

-At two game minutes before "Horde night" you begin your first zipline run to the next tower. Zombies spawn somewhere between the two towers and you leave that chunk.

-Two minutes before each new wave (there are three that I can tell) you begin your trip to another tower. Done.

If it was done like you said (short range) then it would not be that great against horde nights but it would be great exploring. :)

how about a lootable item along the lines of a treasure map except its a town map or a tourist brochure that fills in a section of the map.(special poi)

or a geology text book that is soooo boring it puts you in a coma - i mean shows mineral deposits on the map.

just a thought.

could be quest initiators or rewards...

OH NO YOU DIDN'T.

YOU WOT MATE 0.o

stupid question

Greetings Dear Fun Pimps,

i know you guys most likly gonna hear that question again and again, but forgive me if i dont scroll through over 750 pages of this discussion ^^'.

Is it possiible we get a more or less rought idea when to exspect the update?somewhere in march? early april? something more detailed than spring 2018?

I can see how much enourmess work you put into this , how you present us new ideas and systems and i can image it is really hard work to balance that stuff proper, so i really dont weant to push you at all!. it is just alot easier to wait when you have at least a rought estimation when it will happen.

I mean i hope i speak for everyone but even if that date got delayed later noone would be mad about it (beside the usual criminals ;P) so i hope my request doesnt seem out of place.

Thank you for this wonderfull game and i nlook forward to your anwser guys.

i know you guys most likly gonna hear that question again and again, but forgive me if i dont scroll through over 750 pages of this discussion ^^'.

Is it possiible we get a more or less rought idea when to exspect the update?somewhere in march? early april? something more detailed than spring 2018?

I can see how much enourmess work you put into this , how you present us new ideas and systems and i can image it is really hard work to balance that stuff proper, so i really dont weant to push you at all!. it is just alot easier to wait when you have at least a rought estimation when it will happen.

I mean i hope i speak for everyone but even if that date got delayed later noone would be mad about it (beside the usual criminals ;P) so i hope my request doesnt seem out of place.

being as friendly as possible (others will most likely attack later) ... look to the top for your answer.

welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to the forum. Even tho this game is awesome, the Developer communication on release dates sucks more than any other company that ever existed. Thats including old school Blizzard.

It seems they are afraid to upset the vocal minority on the forums because they may post mean things if a date is missed.

Most of the fans will try to suck up to the pimps and defend this policy by attacking you or by giving you what they think is a funny response "When its done". So prepare yourself.

My guess is August.. but its not based on any inside info at all

Well it is qite possible that i am just stupid, but when i look to the top (or the first page of this discussion) all i see is "Release : Not in February" or in case of the first page the changelog and links to different announcement/videos about features in A17 (or later updates as the Gyrocopter).

I hoped to get it a little more precise, since "not Februrary" would actually be a long time period... from March 1st to Dezember 2030 would all be "not February" ;P.

But may i ask what you mean by "others will attack most likly"? attack who and what? and why?

But may i ask what you mean by "others will attack most likly"? attack who and what? and why?

No one is going to attack you... You might at worst get a "pimps don't release the date", but you didn't come off as a condescending entitled a-hole so you're not gonna get reamed for asking a simple question. =)

...and welcome to the terradome.

No one is going to attack you... You might at worst get a "pimps don't release the date", but you didn't come off as a condescending entitled a-hole so you're not gonna get reamed for asking a simple question. =)

...and welcome to the terradome.

well such is most appreciated to hear, thank you most kindly.

and well, inb my eyes it isnt taking more time to be polite than being rude *shrugs*

Well it is qite possible that i am just stupid, but when i look to the top (or the first page of this discussion) all i see is "Release : Not in February" or in case of the first page the changelog and links to different announcement/videos about features in A17 (or later updates as the Gyrocopter).

I hoped to get it a little more precise, since "not Februrary" would actually be a long time period... from March 1st to Dezember 2030 would all be "not February" ;P.

Well, this year (99% sure). Before the end of August 90% sure. Then after that, I would minus about 20% points for each earlier month. That's probably as good as anyone can tell you.

Well, this year (99% sure). Before the end of August 90% sure. Then after that, I would minus about 20% points for each earlier month. That's probably as good as anyone can tell you.

very well, thank you most kindly for the anwser. I hoped it would be estimated sooner but then again, better than nothing :)

Archived