Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Your post has several errors I'm too tired to list. Please correct them immediately. My patience is very limited so you should have done that hours ago.

This is helpful feedback by your definition. Does it help you in any way? Would adding a swear word to the post make it more helpful?

This guy is stating his opinion and you come out and say he made errors and he needs to correct them? That's laughable. Sad to know we have trolls in here.

I'm new to the world editor, so I don't know the names of all these things (and I'm at work). Press ESC, click the second tab in the panel to the right (called "Level 1" something), then there is an option near the top that says something like "highlight trader teleport." It makes all the traders highlighted with purple boxes. Very easy to spot from a distance. :)

Thanks, I did not know about that one. I really wish there was some documentation on the map previewer.

Attacking people, even in retaliation, is pointless. It's also pointless to claim "victim". It's pointless to use strawman arguments. A lot of peoples behavior is pointless and non-productive, yet people still do it.

People need thicker skins. Damn thin-skins are ruining it for everybody! =)

I think if I tear down the reasoning behind why I don't like the widely sporadic biomes, it boils down to the cold/burning issue between a short distance. There, in ours, or in 99% of most fictional worlds, you wouldn't see burning sand and desert beside one another. The North/South thing is a valid thing, but everyone truly wants a spattering of biomes there may be a compromise.

Perhaps they could set it so snow doesn't generate beside desert? Treat biome assignment like a "hot spot" generation, where areas are randomly selected for desert, and as you get further away from that area you get green forest areas.. even further from that hot spot you get snowy areas. Then, once the initial areas are selected, disperse random spots of burning/wasteland areas throughout the forest. Depending on the scale of the map, or the procedural rolls of the dice, you could get several hot spots in various sizes that would create a less drastic landscape. See below for quick visualization

BiomeSuggest.jpg.510dd33f479d9574508c4c8598deec88.jpg

Anyway, that was you get a more diverse mix without the temperature gripes.

For comparison, here is one I generated today with the current build:

1613833781_233Biome.jpg.489af3c3bc07d2955f2de06918550d49.jpg

I like the idea of the starting 'well fed' buff, that lasts for the first day. But then again, it is simplier to just give a player not one can of chili, but five cans?

That's probably a much better idea. Make more food part of the starting kit, even as wolffblood suggests, meat stews. You could the starting kit adjust with difficulty if some folks thought that would be too easy.

Seems to me like you look as quiet the hypocrite here when we consider that was the echo you received for pretty much calling me a whiney crybaby.

You may not like what i say but i never attacked someone directly before they attacked me, we can go threw all my posts. I just adapt to the tone that is spoken in here.

I did not call you a whiney crybaby. I simply offered an alternative reason why someone told you to "shut up and play" from the one you insisted absolutely had to be the reason. If I was going to call you a name, I guarantee it would not be something so benign. So, no, I did not directly attack you, but you sure did attack me.

I wonder why vehicle headlights don't work ATM. Isn't it a

Simple case of making the headlights behave like lamps or hand torches. ?

I believe Guppy did a demo with lamps that could be dropped and even rotated by the player.

They are not done because I have not done it yet. Vehicle lights have nothing to do with any other lights in the game.

this is not really a bug report as such but when im playing I feel like I am constantly in the crouch position...like I am slightly too low even when stood up.. another issue I have is that the texture on the floor is very large, in the forest biome if you look down, the texture of leaves and clovers on the ground are massive and do not reflect at all what you see in real life... so big in fact they tie in with my previous comment and make you feel that you are low to the ground

I love the new ground texture and hope it never changes! it looks SO much better than it did previously! I do agree though that it looks like our point of view when standing has been lowered a bit, and needs to be raised back up.

- - - Updated - - -

Summary: Stainless steel 2 part refrigerators are missing from the game

Version: A17.B233

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows 10

Game mode: all

Did you wipe old saves? Both

Did you start a new game? Both

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off ? Both

Bug Description:

2 part refrigerators are missing from game files. because of that if server was not wiped, places occupied by those blocks are corrupted.

We ARE supposed to wipe between experimentals unless told its ok not to so that isn't a valid test. HOWEVER if you are placing a frame, it will cover up the top half of refrigerators now, so there is something odd going on with them.

I love the new ground texture and hope it never changes! it looks SO much better than it did previously! I do agree though that it looks like our point of view when standing has been lowered a bit, and needs to be raised back up.

- - - Updated - - -

We ARE supposed to wipe between experimentals unless told its ok not to so that isn't a valid test. HOWEVER if you are placing a frame, it will cover up the top half of refrigerators now, so there is something odd going on with them.

Place 3 blocks stacked

On the face of the top block, place wood spikes

Walk next to the bottom block

Now tell me you think our POV should be raised up.. :) I think they lowered it to the correct position, so now it seems too low, but only when compared to before.

@dev_team

...with the trend going towards "make every poi a dungeon crawl", have y'all considered KEEPING the "plain" copies and only turning them into crawls when they become a quest poi?

house_blue changes to house_blue_crawl or something?

Best of both worlds, and it wouldn't be so damn weird seeing EVERY building as a crawl...

The map changes were one of my most hated features of A17 and I am glad they are going back to RWG actually being random. The same map layout every seed killed replayability. The biomes need to be bigger, and poi's fixed to not spawn oddly, but experimental is experimental. The map needs to be bigger as well, but we can already make it bigger just have long load times. But this last step on RWG is a huge step in the right direction IMO. Mountains seem to be creeping back in and I don't want snow north and desert south every single time in a randomly generated world. That is boring. A16 maps were much better IMO. Take an A16 map, add new poi's, and tinker with the roads and it would have been great.

Pretty much agreed.. and the new colors and textures from mixed biomes compliment each other a LOT visually!

I do agree biomes should be larger, maybe also with large blending zones. Stumbling through the woods I stopped for a birdnest, and on the 3 wasteland blocks next to me I noticed a hubcap mine!

With so many mini scattered biome blocks, things like mines are too easy to miss and stumble onto. You expect them in the wasteland, not in a forest.

@dev_team

...with the trend going towards "make every poi a dungeon crawl", have y'all considered KEEPING the "plain" copies and only turning them into crawls when they become a quest poi?

Best of both worlds, and it wouldn't be so damn weird seeing EVERY building as a crawl...

It might help if you just view this as a post-apocalyptic Hunger Games. The Gamemasters just want us to die. They trigger wandering hordes and dog hordes, they make the buildings deathtraps, they make unrealistic biome spawns in order to make life difficult, and even the radiation zone is a boundary to keep us in the "playing area."

Edit: Forgot to add that the 7th Day Bloodmoon Hordes are yet another of their mechanics meant to push us to the limits.

Attacking people, even in retaliation, is pointless. It's also pointless to claim "victim". It's pointless to use strawman arguments. A lot of peoples behavior is pointless and non-productive, yet people still do it.

People need thicker skins. Damn thin-skins are ruining it for everybody! =)

Thats just another way you try to implement im just cying around.

I can handle random people on the internet calling me whatever they want and thinking about me whatever they want, no problem with that. I just see that some get bashed for no reason and point it out. Cause i would prefer people to actually discussing the game.

Thats just another way you try to implement im just cying around.

I can handle random people on the internet calling me whatever they want and thinking about me whatever they want, no problem with that. I just see that some get bashed for no reason and point it out. Cause i would prefer people to actually discussing the game.

I think this'll be my first, maybe my second, post directed specifically at you.

...what in God's name are you talking about?

I think if I tear down the reasoning behind why I don't like the widely sporadic biomes, it boils down to the cold/burning issue between a short distance. There, in ours, or in 99% of most fictional worlds, you wouldn't see burning sand and desert beside one another. The North/South thing is a valid thing, but everyone truly wants a spattering of biomes there may be a compromise.

Perhaps they could set it so snow doesn't generate beside desert? Treat biome assignment like a "hot spot" generation, where areas are randomly selected for desert, and as you get further away from that area you get green forest areas.. even further from that hot spot you get snowy areas. Then, once the initial areas are selected, disperse random spots of burning/wasteland areas throughout the forest. Depending on the scale of the map, or the procedural rolls of the dice, you could get several hot spots in various sizes that would create a less drastic landscape. See below for quick visualization

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26435[/ATTACH]

Anyway, that was you get a more diverse mix without the temperature gripes.

For comparison, here is one I generated today with the current build:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26436[/ATTACH]

I'd love that idea. Yeah, I'm one that doesn't like the biomes being all random, it just seems so weird and just doesn't fit together. I know I'm odd, but the aesthetics of it all just annoys me to no end, lol. BUUUUT, since we can just take the png and color it ourselves, once it goes stable, I'll probably make one for everything else to be random, then just color it as I want, lol. Will have to find that post again about how to do that.

I am firmly in the camp of north/snow south/desert as a loose principle but with much greater RWG variety. A splattering of micro biomes all over the place feels really off. I am competent TFP will make the right decisions and tweaks.

I think it was the combination of removing 2 biomes completely, the smaller map size, and not having larger buildings spawn that caused such a ruckus about "crappy rwg". I doubt biome placement was a big factor at all.

In fact, I believe that if RWG size was still large, the two missing biomes were returned, and big buildings would spawn again, not much would have even been said about snow being in the north and desert in the south...

Hell, they've switched up where snow and desert spawn about 6 times now with little to no trumpeting.

A17 introduces the first iteration of a new random world generation system. People complain because it's not perfect the first time.

The devs explain they are working on it throughout experimental.

People complain.

Complaining consist of stating what is not finished yet, and complaining that it is not finished yet, and expecting new systems to work straight out of the box.

Well said, Gupmeister!

Maybe there needs to be a gated experimental feedback forum, and people just not "getting it" should be bounced?

I'm seeing a buttload of people using the bug report thread not using the form, and a bunch of people replying in this thread that sound like they've never heard of experimental builds and how they should be used. Using a legacy save and reporting bugs in a new build should be an auto boot from experimental feedback.

The replies on FP posts on Facebook are looking a LOT like this type of chatter here.

That doesn't mean people who have issues with some of the game's direction (Like Jax) should be booted from it.. they offer valuable insight. But it feels like half the posts of late are from people who just shouldn't even be trying the experimental.

It could be the typical holiday angst, or maybe we need some restriction on exp member posts to filter out things those things that aren't helpful to experimental development at all.

I did not call you a whiney crybaby. I simply offered an alternative reason why someone told you to "shut up and play" from the one you insisted absolutely had to be the reason. If I was going to call you a name, I guarantee it would not be something so benign. So, no, I did not directly attack you, but you sure did attack me.

Thats the hypocrisy im talking about. You should at least have the balls to admit that you did try to directly offend me there and take the reaction you got. But instead you make a drama out of how mean i were to you.

I know im getting called a ♥♥♥♥♥ for that again but it is what it is.

I wonder how many have really tried this version before coming here to explain how bad it is.

I did it.

Settings: Zombies run during the day, sprint at night, survivalist, 90 min / day, dead is dead.

And it was anything but easy.

Sometimes, and that's what I love more than anything in random generation, everything goes wrong.

I started at the edge of the map (irradiated a few seconds) and after the main quest, I learned that the first trader was more than 2 km away. I was in a "forest" biome , but I decided to start the journey. Not found a single bottle of clean water, only dirty, which I finally drank (a lot...). Not a single pot (never happened before, no luck I tell you).

Attacked by a wolf, attacked by zombies furious, lacking stamina permanently - very difficult to manage, which I really appreciate.

After 20 minutes of rough battles, stealth and flee, I discover that I will have to cross the wasteland, its mines, its dogs. Honestly, I liked the idea of ​​a "logic" map, but to recover this random aspect is much more interesting.

I arrived at the merchant at 10 pm. Night fell, I did not have time to clean the surroundings, I died.

Too much precipitation (I should have stay in the forest). But a hardcore survival experience exactly as I expect it from this game.

So, my question : did you test it ;) ?

(

- speedx5)

@dev_team

As much as I hate agreeing with Guppycur, THIS!!!! :)

Archived