Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I have a strong feeling it won't be today. We haven't been offered any reassurance that it'll be released today, and they probably want those issues that showed up during the streams fixed before a public release. Which will probably just delay everything even further.

I have a strong feeling it won't be today. We haven't been offered any reassurance that it'll be released today, and they probably want those issues that showed up during the streams fixed before a public release. Which will probably just delay everything even further.

I have a feeling it will be the weekend or next week

Where Alpha17? There is still no choice in steam ...

Likely Monday evening US time, so Europe gets it Tuesday morning...

- - - Updated - - -

Gazz, Faatal,

Lucky Looter has a vague description of loot quality. What does it mean to find "better", "even better", or "the best"? More purple items?

Would those be considered game breaking though?

Depends on their standards.

Falling through the earth on mini ike use to be in the release of alpha. Along with duping seeing through the earth and bad hitboxes.

But I'm a17 experimental looks more polished than earlier alpha.

The onlything I'm worried about is if they have fixed a bug that was reported during streaming event. And that fix creates a game breaking bug.

Thanks for the reply! But then again, let's take ping perfect for an example (wich i've used before)... Their servers come standard with 4gb of ram- do YOU believe that is enough ram to run a unmodded version of the game? Because after some time in vanilla- the world would stutter a lot when you're out traveling on your minibike in a random generated world.. This is what was most annoying for A16 for me a least. As if the game is water and the glass just gradually fills up until it starts spilling... if you know what i mean?

Nice metaphor, I think you just described a memory leak. It's your RAM filling up instead of a glass. It may not be a "memory leak" as such as there several similar problems which display the same symptoms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

It might just be ´shortage of memory´ instead of leak, though leak would exarcebate the problem.

You have assets loaded and travelling - not all assets get unloaded as they are still necessary, but new ones vie for a place (like for instance moving into an area with (larger) buildings. Then your computer starts using disk space to swap out, but ofcourse that can't keep up all the time and you get these 'slowdown ripples' untill it catches up - it will run smoothly again till it tries to load more assets then it can and it will happen again. Travelling fast, like on a minibike, will increase the %age of time that happens.

At least thats what I'm experiencing though I'm currently (sorta)( playing a mod - which uses more ram (but i got 8 to start with - modded 7d2d takes up 6.5).

Best quick fix, apart from getting more memory, is to boot up, dont start any unnecessary or background programs and run that way. Lotsa mem gets used by that (got a fancy rgb keyboard for instance - the profile and lighting softwar emight take up as much as 100 mb RAM, many more such programs - especially leaving lots tabs open in browser eats mem like crazy too)

Maybe quiting and restarting game every night when safe in base will help if it is indeed a leaky issue.

trying to help - if they is no new info for you, please ignore

I have the same feeling... but if it is to fix the game and give us a better version, I'm ok with that.

Misconfigured FOV settings can cause motion sickness in some people.

"Motion sickness : Smaller FOVs tend to exaggerate camera movement, whilst larger FOVs tend to minimise its effect on the image. Thus setting a wider FOV can sometimes help to reduce motion sickness during gameplay."

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Field_of_View

never knew that! thanks. Might be something to experiment with. I'm ok looking at a screen but VR makes me almost puke oftentimes (not that that bears relevance to 7d2d for now :) ), but I also think VR is cool - so It would be cool if that would help reduce my issues in that area.

- - - Updated - - -

3600 hours in the game, and I can still get a bit woozy playing it. I always just assumed that it was all the looking up and down that was affecting me.

I've always been loathe to increase FOV, as I believed jambing more terrain into the same screen area would lead to more HDD grinding and performance issues as it works to load all those extra distant features that would otherwise have fallen off in the periphery using a smaller FOV.

But then, I don't use a widescreen monitor anyway.

Must admit though, if a game has an option to remove headbob, I'll take it every time.

Apart from FOV - a friend of mine used to get migraine/nausea when gaming to long. He said that upgrading to a 144mhz screen seriously reduced his issues - it was the 'jitteryness' of the image that messed his brain up apparently.

(I must agree that its a big difference, just dont want to get used to his 144mhz screen - then I have to spend more money again :p)

Ah.. The usual pre-release rush of posts. Where there are new posts every time you refresh the page. How I've missed it!

PS. Pimps, you can ~12 hours more if you need to, I can't play until Tuesday evening anyway :)

- - - Updated - - -

You are watching streamers, in bed? Or are you watching streamers in bed?

The one might be okay, the other one, creepy :p

Lol, thats a different kinda stream. Call it camming instead :p

I have the same feeling... but if it is to fix the game and give us a better version, I'm ok with that.

I am not ok with that. They have promised update many times and haven't done that. Now is 1 year and 1 month without any updates. Also programmers don't play with deadlines. If it's deadline, work should be done.

Imagine if programmer programs a website. Customer does a campaign that website will be done at that and that date and discount for products will be x percent big. When the date comes, programmer says, that work isn't done and website will be done, when it will be done.. It is what Fun Pimps are doing! If it was told this time, that plan is monday, than it should be like that. And you need to do everything, that worldwide people receive what they have bought on monday!

Gamer communities are strict on deadlines. If you don't do promised things, you loose trust! If you can't do your work in time, say early, that deadline should be expanded, but not on a day, when is deadline!!!

And yes, i am programmer myself!

never knew that! thanks. Might be something to experiment with. I'm ok looking at a screen but VR makes me almost puke oftentimes (not that that bears relevance to 7d2d for now :) ), but I also think VR is cool - so It would be cool if that would help reduce my issues in that area.

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from FOV - a friend of mine used to get migraine/nausea when gaming to long. He said that upgrading to a 144mhz screen seriously reduced his issues - it was the 'jitteryness' of the image that messed his brain up apparently.

(I must agree that its a big difference, just dont want to get used to his 144mhz screen - then I have to spend more money again :p)

Ive always suffered from this, Dying Light was the worst game as that actually made me Puke... Just upgraded from a standard 60hz HD monitor to an Acer 27" QuadHD monitor & noticed the current FOV settings were making me feel a little sick in both 7 days & ARK so maxed out the FOV in settings & it stopped....

Ive only got the monitor set at 75hz which I know is above eye detection of 72hz.... But always suffered from it...

+1 vote for the return of an FOV slider. I have a migraine condition, and while I have the technical knowledge to fix it manually if I have to, it would be a pain in the butt. Plus, not everyone who has similar issues has that kind of knowledge, so the lack of ease in changing the setting would cause accessibility issues you didn't have before.

If taking out the slider is only for bug-testing purposes in the experimental stage, that can be dealt with, but for the stable release it would be a deal-breaker to me. And the growing group of friends and acquantances I've developed into a 7DTD gaming group would probably switch to something we can all play, detracting from future sales for you and your products. Please, remember one of the most important rules in business: take care of your clients, and they'll take care of you.

Ive only got the monitor set at 75hz which I know is above eye detection of 72hz.... But always suffered from it...

Eye detection of 72hz? Who came up with this nonsense?

200hz will give almost life like experience, but between 72hz and 200hz are miles in aspect of fluentness.

Archived