Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The lay there not moving was causing confusion as to if the zombie was dead or not so when the delay was removed the game got harder and the added difficulty was appreciated.

From watching Kage's vids it seems like the hit box for melee is now on par with bow & arrow, meaning not only does the melee crosshair need to be vertically aligned with the head but also aligned the horizontal plane. I.e you can miss to the left or right with a club or knife just like an arrow. Is that correct?

Hey Madmole, i am a kickstarter backer and i really like the direction of the game. I only have one question. Will we ever gonna see new wearable backpacks? I would like to see some military backpacks or sometimes i would like to have my player without one. I really hate when i dress my character like a cowboy and i wear this backpack. It ruins the immersion. This game has a lot of customization and the backpack is the only that you can't change.

I just took a look and zombie hand attack ranges are typically 1.65m. Every weapon and tool I saw are 2-3m range. Zombies do not have a range advantage.

Okay then I guess that argument is over, it's fine and people are just going to have to get used to it.

I hope the rumor that the FOV slider is gone is untrue because that would suck big time unless default is 75 to 80%.

From watching Kage's vids it seems like the hit box for melee is now on par with bow & arrow, meaning not only does the melee crosshair need to be vertically aligned with the head but also aligned the horizontal plane. I.e you can miss to the left or right with a club or knife just like an arrow. Is that correct?

Correct. It was mentioned some weeks ago in the forums, but didn't get a lot of discussion.

Based on A16 play, you want your crosshairs over the target (head) at the time of contact. They don't necessarily have to be aligned at the beginning of your swing, so you can begin the swing, and get the aim right while it is progressing.

I guess 1.65m is just counter intuitive, seems more than what people can reach with their arms. So you look at the zombie trying to hit you and naturally feel like you are out of reach, but nope

what are the size of his arms? I suppose it's near half that distance.

Yeah that comes out to 5.4 ft. worth of hand to hand combat reach for the zombie which is obviously a bit much so maybe this argument isn't over yet.

I guess 1.65m is just counter intuitive, seems more than what people can reach with their arms. So you look at the zombie trying to hit you and naturally feel like you are out of reach, but nope

You're right. Realistically both zombie reach and weapon ranges should be about 0.5 metre shorter depending where you measure from, in this case probably the hips of the animator which would explain the extra range. That _may_ lead to an issue with different striking animations producing different results. I'll see how it plays though, I've been avoiding the streams so I haven't actually seen the problem first-hand.

What's the point of spending points for knockdown if the zombies immediately get back up? Does the knockdown perk make them stunned or something?

Because them falling to the ground and standing back up takes time. Time that they are not hitting you and time that you can hit them. You can easily get in 2 hits during their knockdown.

You can also punch the same distance as them. You can use the knife from 2m. That is also too far, but it is a game and it is all approximations.

Roland himself said they will discuss the state of bugs tomorrow and that they plan to release the alpha late in the evening.

Only reason I don't blame people is that it's easy to lose information in this topic, maybe he could add that info to the header?

Thanks for the info! Must have missed that post.

Okay then I guess that argument is over, it's fine and people are just going to have to get used to it.

I hope the rumor that the FOV slider is gone is untrue because that would suck big time unless default is 75 to 80%.

FOV is locked to 65.

RIP Tuesday evening drop for me... Damn you time-zone differences, always being after 5pm here when the day finally starts for most Americans QQ. That 16h+ difference. Just glad we can potentially get the new build within the next few days (depending on bugs). Gonna be fun making a crap tonne of new worlds over the next few coming weeks for all the new builds.

Awesome! We are playing fortnite save the world, and while a lot of the drop imagery and sounds are over the top, they do make the events easier to detect.

Cool! We read about bases being wrecked, and using strong poi for defense is a practical early game strategy, I was hoping they'd have a tough time of it.

Instead, about 20 spike traps and maybe 20 rounds of ammo dealt with the horde.

They could have gotten lucky, or something could be off.

We also saw two guys just sit on a wood frame on a non horse night with no issue. . are there enough wandering zombies at night so there's still a significant threat? (They were on day 4 or 5, I think. )

I'm loving what I'm seeing, and I'll curse you every time I die because of the new ai and combat improvements... lol!

No worries there, Ravenhearst will ensure to feed the zombie junkies appetites if need be ;)

I'm not very tall and my arm is a little over 1m long. With my shoulder also turning into a swing I can easily hit something close to that away from me. It may be a little out of reach but not enough to quibble over in a game.

FOV is locked to 65.

I'll have to wait until I try it, but for all of us that have motion sickness/vertigo issues, please consider making this changeable. It can honestly be a 100% game killer for me. There are games I simply can't play because this isn't a modifiable setting.

First of all, I'm glad that you are enjoying the game and that you have built a decent community online.

However, I feel compelled to point out that you are not using the game in a manner consistent with the intent of the creators.

The game was designed as PVE singleplayer or co-op for up to 8 players, if memory serves. The fact that you are able to host more than that number consistently is more a matter of good fortune than intention.

My other point is in reference to your "many waiting to join" statement. If your server is truly that popular, it could be whitelisted which would discourage random griefers from being such a problem.

While I have also been frustrated with many game design choices over the years, all we can do is give our feedback and wait.

I hope you are able to continue enjoying the game in spite of any new obstacles to that end.

whether it's an 8 at a time, or 40 at a time server, public server owners suffer the same fears of griefing.

hell, even on a private server a bad player can wiggle through and wreak havoc.

sure it can be resolved with backups (mostly), but that's also like saying "let's just leave all the faucets on, we have flood insurance".

Justin case . . . in these days

https://www.vercalendario.info/pt/que/horas-diferenca-entre-portugal-e-estados_unidos_da_america.html

Could you set a timer and location on the next update ? at this moment it is 2 am in Portugal.

Could you please set a time "for us, players" to do the math and have more precision in right time= update = country ?

Many thanks,

Keep Up the good work

Archived