Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Sigh.

Okay well you can't make all the people happy all the time you guys know this but please don't make everyone suffer, I need to have it at 75 or 80 or it just doesn't feel right to me.

You can put a tool tip on the mouse over that the performance Impact is medium or high or whatever.

Some pvp players ramp up the fov to increase their peripheral vision. Like third-person view it should probably be up to the server owner whether to allow it or not.

So update still happening tomorrow so far? Double checking is all. Me, my sister who just got the game, my boyfriend, our roommate, and at least 2 other friends are all waiting with baited breath to boot up a new server map and such to enjoy and play the crap out of A17.

FOV is locked to 65.

Probably a bit too narrow for widescreen at monitor distance. That value is probably fine for viewing on a TV further away on console or steam machine though. If you feel you need to lock it, i'd request that you scale what is set based on display aspect ratio. A 4:3 needs much smaller FOV than 21:9. I don't know how they do it in Unity, but I'd just get the width and height of the current user's display resolution then divide it. Then just assign different FOVs based on the quotient. You'll only have to do a few of them and could of course do a safe default for odd ones. (1.33 = 4:3, 1.77 = 16:9, etc)

Yes. We discovered different devs had it at different settings. That changed the consistent look the designers wanted and it was causing performance issues. The average player often changes settings, not knowing what they are doing, making the game run poorly and then we get the blame, so we locked it down. There is a setting in the ini file, but it looks like debug mode (dm) has to be on for it to use it.

Removing adjustable FOV from the ingame settings is a bad decision.

If you want a consistent look, set a default. Most players will not touch it unless they have a problem with it.

Many people dont understand the impact of FOV, but feel intuitively if there is something wrong. This setting impacts a lot how comfortable a player is when moving in the virtual world.

There is probably a reason why different developers wanted different FOV settings...

Removing adjustable FOV from the ingame settings is a bad decision.

If you want a consistent look, set a default. Most players will not touch it unless they have a problem with it.

Many people dont understand the impact of FOV, but feel intuitively if there is something wrong. This setting impacts a lot how comfortable a player is when moving in the virtual world.

There is probably a reason why different developers wanted different FOV settings...

Hear, hear!

Yes. We discovered different devs had it at different settings. That changed the consistent look the designers wanted and it was causing performance issues. The average player often changes settings, not knowing what they are doing, making the game run poorly and then we get the blame, so we locked it down. There is a setting in the ini file, but it looks like debug mode (dm) has to be on for it to use it.

A lot of people (including me) get migraines at low FOV's. When playing Fallout 4 and Skyrim I have to root around in the game files to change my FOV to avoid getting migraines which is annoying and easily remedied by a FOV slider. I don't want to be locked at low FOV just because a few people don't understand that a Geforce 256 and 4 MBs of RAM can't run the game on ultra.

It’s possible FOV is only locked down for experimental - they did say they were working on performance issues before A17 stable is released so FOV may be re-enabled at that point.

Well then TFP should say that. When you go a mess with FOV you know people are going to get upset so clarity is key.

Removing A Mandatory Accessibility option like "FOV" is NOT acceptable.

I Really think hes Joking about FO76,... as right now FO76 is currently being flamed and bashed hard due to having a locked FOV.... among many other complaints.

Sure those of us with expertise can edit game files... but the vast majority of players simply don't have that ability.

as for the "science" of it, and why its (FOV) critical... its out there, this is the first thing i came across.

look for Chapter "2.3.1. PC and Consoles"

http://www.diva-portal.se/smash/get/diva2:818863/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Are we there yet? (Jk)

We bid a fond fairwell to a16 by building a ramp in navezgame on the dead man's gulch broken bridge, and jumping the canyon with the ramp.

As far as fov, it can cripple your framerate because the game is trying to render too much at once, so for now keeping it locked down until optimisation might be the best decision.

Thats my only concern right now, is performance issues. that can make horde night unplayable.

I guess 1.65m is just counter intuitive, seems more than what people can reach with their arms. So you look at the zombie trying to hit you and naturally feel like you are out of reach, but nope

what are the size of his arms? I suppose it's near half that distance.

deleted, misread post...

Archived