Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So its more about the logistics and visual impact of having a bunch of gore? If I understand what you are saying correctly. I very much get that. Thank you for clarifying. I can't say I disagree on that. It would be nice if gore blocks could be revisited in some form of instance introduction but I don't know enough about the strengths and weaknesses of this engine.

Yes, this is exactly what I am up to. I am rarely even loot Zeds, especially after 5 or 6 weeks. But I WANT those bodies to be there. And I don't want corpses to disappear and backpacks to be pulled out of thin air.

Dam. I was expecting improvement of rotten remains visuals on that or some of next alphas, cuz current ones are alike 2003 graphics. But I got exactly opposite...

I understand, lol and if only they added bras to this game. But I do understand, some people will have something useful. For those things, the zeds still occasionally drop things, right? I mean, that is still happening and people are arguing from the stance that its never happening. Plus, if its a matter of how often they drop...that is an EASY change in the XML from what I have messed with. I understand your concerns...I don't understand that these concerns are with an all or nothing approach for zed loot which I haven't seen confirmed. Am I crazy? Has anyone else heard news that all zed loot is gone, period?

It will be easy to mod, the problem comes in playing with friends on servers you have no control over. Also the problem is going to be for server owners who want to run vanilla (no mods, some people like to be in that list). Both Roland and faatal are pimp staff so information coming from them sounding like it is going to be a huge reduction does get feedback.

Some people don't need any incentive beyond intrinsic value. ;)

With the new combat system I have extra incentive.

@Fattal,Roland will...

1) Decay times be mod'able?

2) Heath bar able to be modded back in?

2) Can the Power attack be set to another key besides mouse buttons?

You're confusing "I'm ok with TFP because I'm ok with anything TFP does so long as I get A17 omfg gimme A17" and "This is a feature I sincerely have wanted for a long time". Closing ranks and clapping your boots isn't fooling anybody

Well, I posted about it in the past back around A11-A13 when experience was first being added and tinkered with. In some releases the zombies gave no experience and in others they did. Having played the game from A1 - A10 with no xp rewards it was a bit jarring all of a sudden to get the added incentive to kill for xp. Several of us were against it and one of the discussion points was to remove loot at least so it wasn't a double reward of loot AND xp.

So this conversation has been around for a long time. Then spam crafting made kill irrelevant for xp because it was the heroine of xp advancement. When they got rid of spam crafting and spread xp gains around to several different activities that somewhat solved the problem except that killing once again became the king of the hill due to xp and loot together.

Anyway....I've been interested in removing loot from zombies to get rid of the incentive to seek out and attack mentality for a long time. I never considered TFP would do it and it was a complete surprise to me when it happened. But I like it just fine. I'm still bursting at the seams with odds and ends like I always have been in the past. Its just that now I don't feel like I have to kill every zombie-- especially every Frozen Lumberjack. I am more than happy to just leave those dudes alone now.

My only point is that you can tell yourself a story to support the play style you want. In your story zombies should be carrying around loot in their bras and pockets.

In my story they dropped their purses and backpacks on the ground, holes wore into their pockets and boobs shrunk down letting stuff fall out of those double D cups.

Then the traders clipped all the rest who still had everything and stocked their stores with it. When I wake up only the very occasional zombie will have anything.

I get your point. The big picture should be though what are the majority of your players going to want to have? I have played with a lot of people. I have watched a lot of people play on both youtube and twitch. I have admin'd and really watched players and how they behave. One thing almost ALL of them have in common is they LOVE their loot.

Yes, this is exactly what I am up to. I am rarely even loot Zeds, especially after 5 or 6 weeks. But I WANT those bodies to be there. And I don't want corpses to disappear and backpacks to be pulled out of thin air.

Dam. I was expecting improvement of rotten remains visuals on that or some of next alphas, cuz current ones are alike 2003 graphics. But I got exactly opposite...

So, knowing that I personally agree with you on this. I want to say that I can see that right now, it seems that the performance impact is too much. One of the things they are doing in this build is trying to clean up a lot of unnecessary resource drags. And, when you have a messy table that needs to be streamlined, sometimes the best thing to do is wipe it clear of as much clutter as you can and find new ways to reorganize it.

I don't know that they are planning to revisit these things or not. I hope they do. I do know also that the best way they could try and redo how the bodies and gore blocks work, is by clearing the way for those resources to be effective. So maybe take some peace away from this in knowing this is a necessary step on the way to them delivering what you wanted, and not Frankensteining a fix over the top of what you currently see in 16.

Not saying they WILL revisit these things, again, I am only realizing that if they are to be successful in getting what you and I would like to see, they have to do it this way first. I say "have" to because they have made that decision for A17. I can live with it as it is, but yeah...I totally get it. Peace!

I'm glad there is less loot, I typically play with loot set to 25% and still feel there is way too much loot (and guns).

Besides who wants stuff off of years old decaying corpse and wear/eat it? And its not like zombies maintain items so any weapons they have would be rusted beyond use.

Forcing us to fight through the POI dungeons for better equipment makes sense though what might take MM 2hours will probably take us 20minutes.

And why was MM holding on to the that rifle blueprint, it just goes against my very being.

From what I saw I think there will probably be no A17 for us next week, time to reschedule my week off again.

I enjoyed the video - I always appreciate MMs videos. But this one seemed pretty rough. I couldn't tell if it was my bandwidth, a problem with YouTube, or the quality of the video, but it was very choppy and at one point there was this endless "click" and stutter loop in the audio/video stream that was driving me crazy. I reset my phone thinking it would clear it up and its still there watching it a second time. I'm just hoping it was an issue with the recording and not the new engine dropping frames like a WW2 bomber over Berlin.

The new combat system looks fun. Retrieveing arrows from a corpse is a definite plus. I don't know that I agree with zeds rarely dropping loot. I think this will remove alot of incentive to fight the zeds other than skill points. You will have to fight them in the dungeon crawl, but you might as well ignore them out in the open. But I won't knock it too much until I try it, I suppose.

I am still excited for the release, but I'm with you on this. I highly doubt alpha 17 is dropping next week. Its got more bugs than a ded zed hookers crotch. I'd say October at the earliest.

It will be easy to mod, the problem comes in playing with friends on servers you have no control over. Also the problem is going to be for server owners who want to run vanilla (no mods, some people like to be in that list). Both Roland and faatal are pimp staff so information coming from them sounding like it is going to be a huge reduction does get feedback.

Ok, I agree. Valid points and valid feedback. Perhaps TFP could be persuaded to adjust something like that as a slider in game so it could still be vanilla? Just a loot drop probability for zeds maybe? Options there for everyone to get what they want as much as can be done, right? Thank you for explaining your stance from a point of reason and logic, because that has helped me understand your concerns even better. There are lots of points of view I simply am not even aware of and I admit that. The more I know...the more I know lol.

Still sad that the UI is so basic. Could enhance general gameplay by so much if it was just tweaked a bit.

How? I don't really consider that the game. I mean I'm not against them changing it if they want but how does it enhance general gameplay?

I get your point. The big picture should be though what are the majority of your players going to want to have? I have played with a lot of people. I have watched a lot of people play on both youtube and twitch. I have admin'd and really watched players and how they behave. One thing almost ALL of them have in common is they LOVE their loot.

rejoice there is loot in cars still , maybe you want a story that all the people left the loot in there houses before turning :) ? , oh there is loot in POIs

Hell...if I turned into a zombie right now...you would be able to loot a zippo lighter , an expensive pocket knife , a Schrade multitool , and an altoid container with fire starting material and a firesteel , paracord , fishing line , hooks , bandages...and in my wallet 2 hidden blades and survival multitool...just part of my EDC as I do not have my pistol on my while sitting around the house!

But yeah...most people don't carry anything but their wallet , keys and pocket lint....oooo! for realistic immersion , add in wallets , keys and pocket lint and see how many you end up with at the end of a horde night!

Hell...if I turned into a zombie right now...you would be able to loot a zippo lighter , an expensive pocket knife , a Schrade multitool , and an altoid container with fire starting material and a firesteel , paracord , fishing line , hooks , bandages...and in my wallet 2 hidden blades and survival multitool...just part of my EDC as I do not have my pistol on my while sitting around the house!

But yeah...most people don't carry anything but their wallet , keys and pocket lint....oooo! for realistic immersion , add in wallets , keys and pocket lint and see how many you end up with at the end of a horde night!

I just wanted you to know....I read this...I laughed...and I really wanted to take a drink too...but I couldn't stop laughing. Thank you.

Roland , reading your play style " stealth " to loot POIs , i can see , iam looting containers stealthy , getting TON OF GREAT LOOT , returning safely (i assume) to my base , building my power and next time iam looting i would go ham on every single sleeper there, hehehehe ;)

"Use" remapped to left mouse button 8/26/18 - WHY?

A question I asked myself while I was watching the video.

I guess since M1 is used to fire arrows, and pulling triggers.

Though M2 is used to aim down sights, so it makes no sense.

@Gargean

Serious question

If I understand what you are saying correctly. Its mostly a visual representation of the aftermath that you would like.

If so would you be ok or against a large bloody swatch where the zombie lay, as if it desolved there. And instead of a

backpack have the swatch associated with lootcontainer. Tin suggested a visual of this earlier. It only has two faces,

renderwise. This way you get what TFP is inending for performance, and a visual accolade of your conquest.

If you like thi I think GuppyCur might be able to do that. Guppy what do you think?

"Use" remapped to left mouse button 8/26/18 - WHY?

The whole switching of mouse buttons is going to give me trouble. Inventory has been changed to tab for ages now and I still can't get use to it. I keep trying to switch and spend so much time pressing the wrong button. Then finally give up and remap the keys.

- - - Updated - - -

when have you ever seen them looting Zombies in The Walking Dead? its all about avoiding them, killing when needed, keeping the noise down and finding supplies and building something you can call home.

But this isn't the walking dead. Zombies run.

Hey all. Long time lurker, but I felt the need to suggest something.

I love the idea of having an expandable backpack with a strength perk, but could there be an option to hide all the locked slots in the backpack? It looks a bit cluttered and useless if we can't access them anyway. Though, I don't know how others feel about that idea, or if it has been suggested before, or already implemented.

Also love the implementation of zombies rarely dropping loot. it feels more rewarding and no more looting hundreds of empty corpses.

can't wait to try out the other features im iffy about.

Archived