Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

- - - Updated - - -

My god I am hoping there were 50-100 secretes we didnt see because if thats a years work for this supposedly enlarged team all i can say is they must be REALLY up to date on the news with all that browsing they have been doing.

No need to insult the devs. Even if the long list of changes is not long enough for you royal highness.

Cheers

Pink Mist confirmed!!

Nice video!

But will like to play before i say anything!

Are We There Yet! :)

im here with you so far what i have seen is cool other thing i have my though but will give my honest opinion when i try the alpha out

cant knock it if you dont try it .

Whether they were considering it or not I can tell you that the reason they went with not is because their views happened to line up with the outspoken folks who were against it. If they had decided they wanted them then we’d be the people modding them out instead of the people who will be trying to mod them in. Pimps listen but they always make decisions based on their own design choices and not because of mob mentality. They are amazingly resilient to salt.

With a game that's played a million different ways and in which every little thing has a profound ripple effect, literally every design decision is going to piss /someone/ off. You can't win, basically. But we can voice our opinions and act like we're the only one worth listening to haha

I geniunely don't like zombie loot change A LOT. Bags of loot? Dropped only when loot appears? This is so much step back from my pov. Searching those rotting remains of Zeds who killed themselves on spikes around my walls during night was... logical. Atmospheric. Even entertaining somewhat. Plus, if I was not lazy, I got enough rotten flesh for two or three pieces of fertilizer. Now... Not it's just lame. Just broken spikes and couple of backpacks appeared from thin air. For me ruins feel of ZOMBIES so much. It wound be equally bad for me if there were pixel coins bouncing on earth after zombie death.

I very much hope that this is not final iteration of this system. Or that would be so much of step back for me.

I thought about it last night and real zombies would not be carrying a bunch of junk. If we all turned to zombies right now, what would we find in our pockets? Not much. Some people may have a backpack on with supplies they were carrying to bug out and then died and became a zombie, but not many.

The POIs contain the loot. Zombies block access. Kill/evade zombies to get at the loot. Yes, on your 100 dude server you would need to increase loot respawn or a bigger map, so you can drive farther to find stuff.

Bones from zombie corpses? Maybe corpses could stay around longer, it would look better, but on bloodmoons we remove oldest ones, so FPS does not tank? Would I really want to hack up zombies ever? Good way to get infected. I think more animals would be nice, to get bones and fat, with zombies killing them, so you need to thin out the zombie population to encourage more animals to survive, but if a zombie kills a boar, could you not just kill the zombie to loot the boar corpse? Lots of ways you can go with this.

Much testing and tweaking to go.

It depends on when the zombie died. If they died at the very start then maybe 2 out of 10 would have something on them. But since we are seeing traders and stuff set up already I am assuming we are pretty deep into this zombie apocalypse and that means that a lot of the dead are going to be survivors that were carrying stuff on them. They would actually have as much on them as they could find because everything is going to be come hard to find. Just think of all the stuff players are carrying on them when a zed kills them.

Smaller maps are going to mean even less places to loot. Loot is going to have to be set to daily respawn on servers. I have ran servers and I have played on many of them and places get wiped clean faster than you can imagine unless you have actually been on them to see it happen. It like a horde of locust went through.

It depends on when the zombie died. If they died at the very start then maybe 2 out of 10 would have something on them. But since we are seeing traders and stuff set up already I am assuming we are pretty deep into this zombie apocalypse and that means that a lot of the dead are going to be survivors that were carrying stuff on them. They would actually have as much on them as they could find because everything is going to be come hard to find. Just think of all the stuff players are carrying on them when a zed kills them.

Smaller maps are going to mean even less places to loot. Loot is going to have to be set to daily respawn on servers. I have ran servers and I have played on many of them and places get wiped clean faster than you can imagine unless you have actually been on them to see it happen. It like a horde of locust went through.

I agree with this. Every 30 days is going to be an absurd default now. Every 10 days seems like a good starting point to feel things out.

but...visually none of them are wearing backpacks and many of them are in various states of undress. Where they keeping all that loot they meticulously gathered? Since we are into this apocalypse maybe all the tempting targets with backpacks full of loot already got taken when you wake up bleary eyed on Day 1

I get what TFP are trying to do & maybe correct me if im wrong. They want most of the loot to come from POIs and Bandits. I want to try to avoid needing to kill Zeds unless absolutely necessary. Like The Walking Dead, their biggest enemies were mostly humans. So hopefully we'll be getting better stuff from Bandit drops.

Also: Can we please have Bandit zeds? They failed to survive and are now zeds but hard to kill because of their gear.

but...visually none of them are wearing backpacks and many of them are in various states of undress. Where they keeping all that loot they meticulously gathered?

What do zombies usually have? A few coins. A bandage. A single pill. A little bit of brass or lead - enough to make a bullet or two. A book.

You don't need a military grade backpack to carry one of these things

While we're at it, why can a player carry enough concrete to build a skyscraper in their bag? Hmm. Sometimes you make decisions that benefit gameplay and not realism.

So many of the improvements are under the hood and coding changes that I doubt there will be anyone who will look at what they can see on the surface of the game and say that it was equal to what a year of work (in their opinion) should look like. I'm already mentally prepared for the onslaught of salt in that regard. Unfortunately, it will be those same people who will later praise and laud the modders for all their contributions not realizing that it is precisely what TFP did all year that has made it possible for modders to do more than they have ever been able to do in the past.

:) Thank you Roland. Many of us do appreciate you and really don't think you should be buried under all that salt. Sometimes people don't understand how you get from point A to Z without crossing through a number of letters as well. I played state of Decay, 1 and 2. Thought I would hate the no loot from zeds then. It made the game more about not attracting them, and more about I don't know, finding ways to divert them from my path or base. This game still gives you occasional loot from what I heard. So it is a little from column A and B. You also, unless I have missed it, still get xp from killing zombs in this one...so there is incentive there.

Difference I see, is that people cant huddle in their base all day and have the Zed delivery service bring them the stuff that they need and diminish the need for scavving right out. I understand people play differently, so give it a moment to find how YOU would play in this world before losing your minds over it.

Again, thank you Roland and TFP for making and evolving a game I have GROWN to love. You don't deserve the hate even if someone wants to offer criticism, there is no need to be hateful and entitled.

but...visually none of them are wearing backpacks and many of them are in various states of undress. Where they keeping all that loot they meticulously gathered?

Years ago I was wondering same thing in A11. Now few alphas later I`ve been really surprised that this happend to be a big discussion without even people realise how it could be not only in real life, but better for the gameplay experience. And that happens without even being tested by us players. Feel a bit bad for the lack of empathy , but I bet it will worth it.

Personally I am going to wait to play A17 before I pass judgement on it and decide if its remotely worth any more of my time, and tbh it's not looking good... because quite frankly hearing the head honcho aka madmole say 'I havent played this game for over a year' is extremely concerning, watching him cobble together a video picking up every stone he happens upon and playing like a completely clueless noob is worrying. If that video is in anyway representative of a years development (which I seriously doubt) of the A17 team then this game is done, stick a fork in it... :(

I'm gonna be totally fair when it comes to "year's worth of development" banter. I spent the entirety of July doing some backend work on a personal project whose end result from a consumer perspective was exactly the same as what I already had - it's just more versatile and can compensate for certain situations like bad computers, a huge amount of entities on-screen, someone with a 240Hz monitor, etc. So I get it. Sometimes you have to spend a month or several months just to rearrange some backend stuff to improve quality of life down the line. A month of work doesn't always mean "17 new guns." Sometimes it just means "my game runs better on different types of computers, but we didn't get a chance to add anything"

I'm gonna be totally fair when it comes to "year's worth of development" banter. I spent the entirety of July doing some backend work on a personal project whose end result from a consumer perspective was exactly the same as what I already had - it's just more versatile and can compensate for certain situations like bad computers, a huge amount of entities on-screen, someone with a 240Hz monitor, etc. So I get it. Sometimes you have to spend a month or several months just to rearrange some backend stuff to improve quality of life down the line. A month of work doesn't always mean "17 new guns." Sometimes it just means "my game runs better on different types of computers, but we didn't get a chance to add anything"

I too have had similar experiences in development. I support this statement 100%

but...visually none of them are wearing backpacks and many of them are in various states of undress. Where they keeping all that loot they meticulously gathered? Since we are into this apocalypse maybe all the tempting targets with backpacks full of loot already got taken when you wake up bleary eyed on Day 1

They have pockets. You can store a lot in a bra. The stripper probably has money (maybe other stuff like pills but that goes the way the devs where doing her before) in her g-string. Just because the devs haven't made all the zeds look like players carrying backpacks does that mean they don't have loot. To think that all of these people were the first ones to die and there for not a dead survivor carrying stuff seems way off track to me.

Quit with the nuance!! Armchair devs know best! Period.

Cheers

Since so much time of video blackout time caused a bit of a big expectations I guess, 45 minutes of this video was great to see and be part of Joel`s experience, but I guess we need to learn to first try and then respond and give feedback to whatever feature they show us. Its a bit of respect of their work and acceptance that they have a plan and we follow it as players, not try to change it. Keep up pimps, you know you are doing good.

Archived