Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Shovel spear update

On a side note: I have noticed that hoard night fizzles out about half way through the night. But I found a workaround. :)

Simply log off and re-start the game. If you max out the hoard setting, you will soon have more zombies than you know what to do with. lol

Have fun.

This works on the servers as well when theres not alot online. Just relog and like magic they start spawning.

No, but you can paint them.

Paint them red, make them go faster!

Paint them pink for more family-friendly massacre.

Paint them black for a true Fortress of Doom. (black spikes really are critical here)

Or build steel spikes and then paint them in simple wood. =P

On a more serious note: What new and interesting functionality would other types of spikes have?

A spiked roof that you can lower over the heads of zombies to squish them, or rocks you can place on top of your wall and push over onto zombies while they beat on your wall. I'm sure Guppy would like that for his medieval mod.

Yeah I haven't decided to come back to 7D2D yet or not. I've been on a long break. A16 dulled quickly.

I'm a builder at heart. More so than an run and gunner or a scavenger. So I wouldn't be surprised if I did dip my toe into A17. With some strong hopes of being pleasantly surprised. I get urges to build something sometimes... meh...

I personally don't see 7D2D being done until something more like an A19 or an A20. I may wait until A18+ before trying it all out again. Who knows. I'm still really curious what the end result will be. I just wish there was more of a minecraft leaning I guess in building a game oriented to freedom of play as opposed to a narrowed style of play forced by the developer. *shrug*

This! If I bother to login and reply, it means it's a pretty big deal to me. Like you said, we're still adding in features in alphas so it's very hard to see what the final "game play" will be. If it's easily changed by users like Minecraft, I'm happy. What I don't like is forcing a game play style. Choices should have consequences, but a game where "if you shoot a firearm, a screamer will appear 100% of the time" is boring and makes the mechanics too easily manipulated.

Screamers are tantamount to a random pain in the ass, and not a challenge or threatening pretty much day 3 and beyond. Random hordes though, those are more fun and more realistic in traditional zombie lore.

We shall see- I can't wait to play 17. TFP always do a good job.

A17 meme - Calling All Streamers months ahead for.... When It's Done. :smile-new:

June 2018

Cc1zRYL.png

for

August 2018

TOP KEK

Also did you notice on top of page, that there is "------>hitler vid" marked green? Hitler released gameplay of alpha 17? I gotta see it !!!

A17 meme - Calling All Streamers months ahead for.... When It's Done. :smile-new:

June 2018

Cc1zRYL.png

for

August 2018

lol! seriously. my father used to say "it's done when it's done", when he had no idea how to make dinner. Kinda makes you feel like you're being talked down to right. Would be kinda nice to pass along to all the people I hyped up for "it's done when it's done" the actual reason for the delay. I'm not upset about the delay, I'm upset about being treated like a child, than looking like a complete idiot to my viewers.

No, but you can paint them.

Paint them red, make them go faster!

Paint them pink for more family-friendly massacre.

Paint them black for a true Fortress of Doom. (black spikes really are critical here)

Or build steel spikes and then paint them in simple wood. =P

On a more serious note: What new and interesting functionality would other types of spikes have?

usualy they didnt do damage upside down. is that fixed?

Immobilization. The current "wood spikes" type, if used IRL, would actually be better at trapping zombies to be manually dispatched (preferably with some type of pole arm) than for killing them- especially if brain damage is required. They might dismember themselves and/or damage the spikes in their struggles eventually, and a few might be unlucky enough to impale their heads- but most would just get "stuck"

Until the number stuck grew great enough to counter the spikes by sheer weight or "bridging", anyway...

An idea that is probably not entirely my own:

I'm sure a lot of issues concerning the zombies have been addressed by the new AI, but some things that still bugged me in the last build:

(wall of text follows)

One of the ways the devs addressed zombie difficulty was to make them bullet sponges. I think this is an ok idea but not with the current limitations on weapons damage. Even with maxed out stats on the AK a radiated zombie cop was still too beefy to justify wasting the ammo on, especially when the item drop on it was pretty weak.

Game stage has a few flaws in my opinion. It was pretty easy to get to a higher game stage using just melee weapons and solid base design. Looting even normal POIs became nearly impossible at 20-30 day mark as I could not get better guns or the ammunition to combat the ferals and cops would spawn in every POI, including the shacks. I spent most of my time farming crops and selling stuff to traders to generate enough cash to buy enough ammo to loot a couple buildings and even then I was getting diminishing returns-a broken AK and 150 spent rounds of 7.62mm for clothes or items I could easily craft at a higher level. Either slow down the game stage progression OR...

Another way (not a programmer, so not sure how hard this would be to implement) could be to limit the the spawn of beefy zombies to certain POIs that have really good loot (not talking about a boss fight) while leaving the normal POIs at the basic spawn level. For me I ended up halving the health of all zombies and increasing the damage given, stun chance, infection chance (I made being infected brutal by shortening the time between stages, increasing stamina loss and health loss, and included a fever buff that really hurts movement), and I turn zombies always run to counter the weaker health.

All of this is probably moot being so close to a new build, but I like the discussion part of this forum.

I'm a little bit surprised how many people seem to think "it's done when it's done" means anything other than "it's not done yet but we're still hard at work and as soon as it is ready to show the public we will release it." Now with the smilie added it apparently means we've gotten closer to imminent release, too! I guess the only good answer to "when will it be done?" is to just say "...."

Oh well, I guess we just all want to try the new shiny build and know that every day is one less day until it's released. For my part I'll happily just wait until it's done... and then wait another month or so until it's released stable anyway. In the meantime I have approximately 1 billion other games I haven't finished with yet, and I can occasionally play my a16 game and enjoy the last few weeks of running around on my cool map with a couple pretty lakes near my home and lots of lovely wide open spaces to run around in and feel like I'm alone in the wilderness instead of having POIs packed in everywhere(which is my only tentative fear about a17).

lol! seriously. my father used to say "it's done when it's done", when he had no idea how to make dinner. Kinda makes you feel like you're being talked down to right. Would be kinda nice to pass along to all the people I hyped up for "it's done when it's done" the actual reason for the delay. I'm not upset about the delay, I'm upset about being treated like a child, than looking like a complete idiot to my viewers.

Faatal was very clear about that. They are squashing bugs. Dozens of em. And new ones still pop up from testing or finding them themselves.

Did you read that? Or are you just going on the "A17-E is done when its done :)" on top of this page? I think if Roland would replace that with "A17-E is done when all bugs are squashed :)" it wouldnt change one thing. Still there would be grave for more info and there still would be passive aggressive stings because no exact date is given. Imo there is no need to feel treated like a child. Its a clear message. We can trust on it. There is no room for error in it. No "broken promises".

Cheers

Faatal was very clear about that. They are squashing bugs. Dozens of em. And new ones still pop up from testing or finding them themselves.

Did you read that? Or are you just going on the "A17-E is done when its done :)" on top of this page? I think if Roland would replace that with "A17-E is done when all bugs are squashed :)" it wouldnt change one thing. Still there would be grave for more info and there still would be passive aggressive stings because no exact date is given. Imo there is no need to feel treated like a child. Its a clear message. We can trust on it. There is no room for error in it. No "broken promises".

Cheers

the only thing that could change would be the question to --- "what percent of bugs remain? or how many bugs are left?" :)

Still waiting and checking here occasionally. noticed the previous late July / Aug estimate has gone and been replaced with the no estimates will be made its done when its done. I resent this statement especially when you already had an estimate... It almost comes across as aggressive towards the consumers. Poor. Just be honest.

And in before responses saying go do something else which i'm obviously already doing so you can keep your snarky comments and shove em up your ass.

It's only been 14 months since A16, why is everyone so impatient? Sure it's more time than two infinty wars being released, longer than it takes to get pregnant and have a baby, longer than it takes a newborn to learn to walk, longer than the release of new graphics cards. But this is a game, it takes time! So be patient, it will be done when it's done.

I remember when they said they would release bigger alphas further apart than all the hotfixes that caused everyone to have to start over and everyone was happy about it.

Still waiting and checking here occasionally. noticed the previous late July / Aug estimate has gone and been replaced with the no estimates will be made its done when its done. I resent this statement especially when you already had an estimate... It almost comes across as aggressive towards the consumers. Poor. Just be honest.

And in before responses saying go do something else which i'm obviously already doing so you can keep your snarky comments and shove em up your ass.

nice, preemptive snarkiness to combat imagined potentially upcoming snarkiness

Tried out the new 8k RWG today and it took over an hour running in the editor. I think Kinyajuu said it was 5 or 10 mins in a build. I will hopefully get to help him with some optimizations.

So a client user starting a new map would have to wait about 5-10 minutes.

I imagine this also goes for a server operator starting a new RWG map.

How about someone joining the game? Do they experience any delay when joining a new server/map for the first time?

Shovel spear update

Just tested out a steel shovel as a spear on hoard night and it's great.

Hey! If you want a challenge, You really should max out the number of zombies on hoard night, and get on with it in hand to hand combat.

I recommend setting zombies to walking when doing this because it can be very overwhelming as the zombies will quickly surround you. I almost died several times, lol.

Nothing like getting off your fort having at them in close combat with a shovel, it's pretty challenging and fun.

The best part was when dawn came and I charged one of the last bigger ones, killing it with once shot, I was both surprised and excited at the same time! :)

Have fun.

This is surprisingly good, never thought to use to shovel as a weapon. Took down Big Momma with four or five hits, didn't have any other melee weapon laying around lmao.

Archived