Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

That is how "It's done when its done" came about. I realized that the immature segment would never understand the concept of "estimate" and if they were going to be mad no matter what then I didn't want to have to deal with constantly updating the date. I added the smilie because someone thought the phrase sounded petulant and passive aggressive and smilies always make forum posts better. Right?

But now....lol....we have people trying to assign special meaning to the smilie...

Guys u are doing a great job with the game, pls dont be despair with the comunity, the mature part of it , understand how this works

thx for keep working on this game :smile-new::smile-new:

Making Conservative Estimates

I worked as a pizza chef and had an issue with a server who would always give ideal, best case scenario time estimates to guests. She'd say it should be 10 minutes but that left no room for errors or delays. Naturally, guests got pissed regularly when their pizza took longer. I tried to explain multiple times why it's better to say 40 min, and maybe get it out sooner, than to risk giving a bad estimate.

I have coached strength training for 12 years and when someone asks how long it will take to add 50lbs to their squat, or lose 30 lbs, or knock a minute off their mile time, or whatever, I always tell them how long it will take realistically with delays, injuries, mussed sessions, etc in mind. I never tell them how fast someone with great genes and consistent work ethic cab do it.

Currently I work for a home production company, and admirably their policy is to give estimated completion dates that consider delays, work needing redone, last minute repairs, etc. Always "sandbag" the estimated date they say, which means we often can beat that date and finish the home early but unless there are repeated huge problems the date is rarely missed and extended. This results in homebuyers who are often pleasantly surprised rather than feeling let down.

There are many examples like this, the underlying point is there aren't many good reasons why you should ever give someone the hopeful idealistic estimate rather than a very conservative estimate.

Better to surprise people with an early delivery than to have to push back your date repeatedly because you didn't properly factor delays and problems into the estimate. The disadvantages and blowback are obvious and apparent in this thread. I really don't know what the advantage or benefit of idealistic estimates are supposed to be.

Rather than blame people for naturally getting excited then feeling disappointed, it makes a ton more sense to give an estimate that makes plenty of room for delays and hope to pleasantly surprise everyone by getting it out a bit sooner than they were expecting.

Just my two cents as someone who has many years of experience with this problem

@Roland:

dont forget to add it to the first post.

(oh and as criticism: everything looks just a BIT too orange... sunsets and now this... just a tiny bit... might be nice to set done the red lighting just a TINY bit)

Its not all orange. The sunset was orangish red because it was a sunset. This screenshot was orangish red because it was an interior lit by molten metal. Context.

My screenshots aren't orange.

I'm a bunker player. Your fun is my boring - there's no challenge to living underground, no sense of "surviving" once you're past a small hole in the ground.

I'm glad that TFP has already determined to fully flesh out the underground biome.

-A

Then you are playing in the wrong server or just playing the wrong way (why are you a bunker player if you don't like it? dumb tbh). In a proper PVP server you eventually get your bunker busted and it's time to fight also you die numerous times when you are out traveling to loot resources. TFP will ♥♥♥♥ the game up for a lot of people depending on what they do, time will tell once we test Alpha 17.

You can't use the argument of what you would do in real life , to how you play this game...zombies etc could never even break down a standard wood framed house no matter what...and the best course of action would be just to move away from population centers and out in the wilderness and live off the land with a concealed structure of some type...but all of that in game terms would be BORING AS F$%^...you can never really live out a "real life" Zombie Apocalypse Scenario in this game...not without some heavy modding at least...

There should absolutely be NO completely safe base , that relies on limitations with the games engine or problems with AI...you should always have to deal with a threat and ALWAYS have to face the Seven Day hordes , in some way shape or form...fighting , defending your base , leading them away , using dummy bases , multiple false entrances etc....not just hide underground , in the sky , logout and whatever other things people do to avoid a primary game mechanic...

Speaking of which...is there any news on the "breadcrumb" system? some way for zombies/bandits to find you and follow you through your explorations and actions? or if not , have the Seven Day hordes just actively target all player made structures and find their way down to them if they are hiding underground/sky/wherever or have logged out...

I already explained how to keep the underground experience alive without ruining it.

I worked as a pizza chef and......

....snip.....

Just my two cents as someone who has many years of experience with this problem ��

You make some fair points as you can't eat the pizza until you have it, or fulfill a service till it's ready. However, with this game you CAN play until the next release. Its not like we are sitting here with nothing, we just don't have the new stuff yet. :)

These screens from Joel and Roland are actually showing us in pretty good way why alpha17 is a bit late. Few textures are like 16bit, few are, well much better. If something is gonna be done it must be done properly. Complaining department is fresh & ready for battle. And this is pimps answer - doing it better.

You just made my day. Im ln improved lighting ecstasy. LOL

Edit: I seriously am laughing out loud at this, my eyes are tearing up a bit. You are the man.

Archived