Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Decoy base you only stay in for horde nights should fix that. Or you could turn off zombies so your full focus would be on other players as the threat.

No lol that sucks. The point is surviving in a zombie apocalipse with the added threat of PVP. And first thing one would do is hide underground. I don't understand what the point is in ruining the fun for people that enjoy living underground without being seen. Like I said before, it's leveled out already since you still need to go out for resources it's not like you can live underground forever.

Hear Hear! If there is ever a mod made that strongly discourages under ground bases it will be on my server, in fact I may figure out how to do it myself and put it out there because there are a lot of people like me that think under ground bases ruin the apocalypse.

Not really, what ruins the apocalypse is having some dev forcing people's playstyles into his wrong vision.

Let people play however they want. Me and my friends are engineers IRL and first thing we would do (we actually discussed this while having some beers one day lol) we would gather resources then travel in the middle of a forrest and start building an underground bunker made out of concrete, so when we get out of the bunker we are hidden by the trees.

If other people want to build some big ass blocky house that says "we are here" then so be it.

Both approaches have its positives and negatives and trying to change how things are just makes the game more one dimensional and boring. One of the best experiences you can have in PVP survival games is finding secret underground bases, sneaking in at night with night vision and trying not to get caught while you steal people's ♥♥♥♥ in coordination with your maters. Sometimes you find abandoned bases and other surprises. Ground bases aren't as exciting because they aren't hidden.

I'm not opposed to if you go deep enough they can't detect you regardless of day or zombie type. I just think you should have to put in some effort to thwart the zombie threat. Dig down 10 meters is easy, they should find you. Go up on a hill and dig down 80m and add ladders or a long slope takes work. In that case I'd rather there be other threats like you have trouble breathing or once in a while a tunneling zombie/mole finds you.

Finding your entrance is an option, but pathing will only do about 40m, so it would be more like them hanging around the entrance cause they smelled something, but you can make multiple entrances, which is fine, since you don't know which one is safe until you check it out.

I agree, force people to work all the way down to bedrock level to be safe. However, don't make zombies sensing you kms above you digging down to your bedrock-level bunker because that is just dumb and will just look off, it makes 0 sense.

The added inconveniencies of being underground are annoying enough already and levels it out vs people that live above ground and have easier acccess to food and water.

Maybe add the random underground zombie that spawns by breaking a hole in the rocks/dirt and scares the ♥♥♥♥ out of you, as in its bones were there resting for a long time and your presence in the bunker wakes him up, so a 2x1 hole is made and out of smokes and dirt he appears, half rotten and almost a walking skeleton but very aggressive. I can already see it and it would look great and would add a new dynamic of gameplay for bunker players.

Now for the horde, I may be OK with zombies trying to get at you even if you are at bedrock level, so you are even out with ground players but that is already the case I think.

Just dont ruin the fun for bunker players, we put a ton of effort into our bunkers and enjoy our isolated existence.

Vanilla vs Modded

Well, I'll try to change the topic somewhat, with a different complaint. If you set up a multiplayer server, from your own computer or a dedicated server, and you pick items that are offered for various settings.....and you pick the 'wrong' setting, you are listed as a modded server. That's wrong. If the setting had to be edited in xml, then I'm for 'modded server'.

An example, if you set blood moon horde for anything other than 8, it is a modded server. Makes no sense to offer a setting in a menu then call it a modded server. There are other settings just like that. I try to run a vanilla server (without mods), but a higher difficulty than 8 blood moon and am considered modded.

Why not remove any selection from your menu that makes you a modded server? I'm forever getting players coming in and ask what mods I'm running and when I say none, they wonder why I'm in the modded server list. IMO vanilla is using settings that are offered by the game, using settings that are not offered or require editing is modded.

While it's late in the A17 development, I sure hope this is addressed at some point.

EDIT: On the other hand, TFP have said this game supports 8 players yet servers setting this figure much higher do not get tossed into modded section.

Dude, take a break and wait, come back and see how it plays out.

I agree with this statement completely!

I have to say though, reading through these last few pages (although I see people getting frustrated) it does show me that a large percentage of people who play this game are intelligent & articulate. It is nice to see in this day and age of social media, trolling and flaming that people can have a measured debate. Even if it is about a game :smile-new:

Please remember, it is just a game.... what was that?..... I think I just heard a screamer outside.... Nooo, aaaaah, nooo get the F%@£ off meeeee.........

Luckily I had my compound bow.... now to escape in my Jee..... ahem, sorry 4x4

Shouldn't it be doable to have an extra list of servers for games that have changed some sort of "significant options" but haven't done any XML or more in-depth changes? Of course you'll have to decide which options would be substantial enough to warrant it, but since some of the options do make pretty major changes it might make sense -- and much more sense than removing those options from the basic game menus entirely(I do love me some options, the more the merrier). That way people can at least know that nothing has been changed beyond what is already available in the game.

We've heard many times that there does seem among some people to be a bit of a stigma attached to "modded servers." Whether it's because people are concerned about not playing in one of the multitude of ways the developers intended, or just because people want to be sure whether they need to go to another website(or login and try to find someone to ask) to find out what mods a server is running. Or maybe the problem is exaggerated, but there is clearly at least a belief that going into the "modded" list means not nearly as many randoms will come to play.

Since TFP seems to think that some of the game's own options are significant enough that they should be kept separate from the basic list, isn't there some sort of middle ground to be had there? Some of those changes, while significant, are a lot less so than the completely unrestricted world of manual XML edits and full-blown content mods.

Although you could argue that some pretty major changes like always run are still in the base list, so maybe anything that's in the game menus should be put there after all? Or maybe that's the plan but the server detection was done when there was a different set of options and hasn't been updated in a while so it can't tell what TFP changed and what modders changed?

Extra Edit: Maybe a full list wouldn't be necessary, but just some sort of prominent marker to tell people "you really should read the specific settings in the server details."

Just dont ruin the fun for bunker players, we put a ton of effort into our bunkers and enjoy our isolated existence.

I'm a bunker player. Your fun is my boring - there's no challenge to living underground, no sense of "surviving" once you're past a small hole in the ground.

I'm glad that TFP has already determined to fully flesh out the underground biome.

-A

I normally read this thread every day, or several times a day, but I just had to do a few days' worth of catching up. All I can say is... Wow. That was a lot of reading, and a lot of it wasn't very pleasant. I can't wait to get alpha 17 and try out all of these changes. I will reserve judgement until I have actually played it.

You can't use the argument of what you would do in real life , to how you play this game...zombies etc could never even break down a standard wood framed house no matter what...and the best course of action would be just to move away from population centers and out in the wilderness and live off the land with a concealed structure of some type...but all of that in game terms would be BORING AS F$%^...you can never really live out a "real life" Zombie Apocalypse Scenario in this game...not without some heavy modding at least...

There should absolutely be NO completely safe base , that relies on limitations with the games engine or problems with AI...you should always have to deal with a threat and ALWAYS have to face the Seven Day hordes , in some way shape or form...fighting , defending your base , leading them away , using dummy bases , multiple false entrances etc....not just hide underground , in the sky , logout and whatever other things people do to avoid a primary game mechanic...

Speaking of which...is there any news on the "breadcrumb" system? some way for zombies/bandits to find you and follow you through your explorations and actions? or if not , have the Seven Day hordes just actively target all player made structures and find their way down to them if they are hiding underground/sky/wherever or have logged out...

I guess that after the change is made and the underground has threats then we can just tell people who want to to change it back:

"If you don't like it then just don't go there....."

your avatar picture thing should come after your post instead of off to the side.

sort of like punch-uation..

sorry, dad joke there...

I normally read this thread every day, or several times a day, but I just had to do a few days' worth of catching up. All I can say is... Wow. That was a lot of reading, and a lot of it wasn't very pleasant. I can't wait to get alpha 17 and try out all of these changes. I will reserve judgement until I have actually played it.

thats why i skim thru and only read posts by those with green and gold names. they tend to respond to the stuff worth reading, so you see the original stuff quoted and then something interesting in response.

theres a few ill stop and see what they are gabbing about as well but not that many

I guess that after the change is made and the underground has threats then we can just tell people who want to to change it back:

"If you don't like it then just don't go there....."

Just swim out in a lake somewhere, then your safe... ish.

Hey that reminds me of Raft. If you want something like 7D2D, try a steam game called Raft (I just know TFP can do this). Its early, early access and my OCD side took over and I finished in 13 hours with a crap ton of loot... But it was the best 13 hours I have had in a long, long time! If they keep adding the promised content, then it could by in my top 10 list.

Just swim out in a lake somewhere, then your safe... ish.

Hey that reminds me of Raft. If you want something like 7D2D, try a steam game called Raft (I just know TFP can do this). Its early, early access and my OCD side took over and I finished in 13 hours with a crap ton of loot... But it was the best 13 hours I have had in a long, long time! If they keep adding the promised content, then it could by in my top 10 list.

I played raft as well.. havent played since the addition of the seagulls that attack, but it really is pretty damn addicting.. Not long term play, but a nice little time sink til A17E drops

I played raft as well.. havent played since the addition of the seagulls that attack, but it really is pretty damn addicting.. Not long term play, but a nice little time sink til A17E drops

I heard that Yoda rage quit the game after that addition...

thats why i skim thru and only read posts by those with green and gold names. they tend to respond to the stuff worth reading, so you see the original stuff quoted and then something interesting in response.

theres a few ill stop and see what they are gabbing about as well but not that many

That's a good point. Most of the things worth reading on this forum are coming from a small group of people. I could just read anything from people that actually work for TFP and ignore a lot of the rest. The reason I don't usually skip over stuff is because sometimes I see stuff that gives me a good chuckle.

Archived